Does Speed Kill?

Found this article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer about the careers of the fastest player in the combine the last 10 years. Doesn't seem like any of these players set the world on fire. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02/nfl-scouting-combine-how-the-fastest-men-in-the-40-yard-dash-over-the-past-10-years-have-done-in-the-nfl.html

25 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Myconcern with these speed demons is size..

Some are drafted and beat up quickly due to that..

Its allways good to have that one speedster to take safties out of the box to open things up in the middle and kick returning..

That's key I think.  Look at Tyreke Hill, he's short, but stout (reminds me of Rondale Moore from Purdue).  Having some size is key.

I think it all depends.  For a corner, say like Deion Sanders, elite speed, boost and intellect is what made him special. The ability to backpedal, turn the hips and burn, at an exceptional rate will make a heady defender other worldy in the moment to moment bang bang.  For a wideout top end speed is part of the grabbag in scoring, but it's other physical stuff, like hand play, feints, wingspan, and first steps(lateral and verticle acceleration) which creates the tidbits of separation that makes the grade, for their position, in the pro game.  

7 hours ago, Jimmy D said:

I think it all depends.  For a corner, say like Deion Sanders, elite speed, boost and intellect is what made him special. The ability to backpedal, turn the hips and burn, at an exceptional rate will make a heady defender other worldy in the moment to moment bang bang.  For a wideout top end speed is part of the grabbag in scoring, but it's other physical stuff, like hand play, feints, wingspan, and first steps(lateral and verticle acceleration) which creates the tidbits of separation that makes the grade, for their position, in the pro game.  

In other words they need to be good at playing football.  

47 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Should make them run the 40 a second time but in pads.  Might save us from blowing another top 10 pick on a guy that just runs fast.

That ain't a bad idea, but everyone runs in undies now adayas, and the ability to scoot like a rocket is just, to me, a part of the mix, the amalgum, the algebra, of a prospect.  To me it ain't the be all end all, but in some warrooms their captains get weak in the knees, and blitehring when it comes to eye popping track times, and it will make them over look stuff, and gamble.  

Scoots won't make a knuckle head a superstar, but they will make a heady player one.  

3 hours ago, Jimmy D said:

That ain't a bad idea, but everyone runs in undies now adayas, and the ability to scoot like a rocket is just, to me, a part of the mix, the amalgum, the algebra, of a prospect.  To me it ain't the be all end all, but in some warrooms their captains get weak in the knees, and blitehring when it comes to eye popping track times, and it will make them over look stuff, and gamble.  

Scoots won't make a knuckle head a superstar, but they will make a heady player one.  

Without a scouting department to really dig in & do the deep dive on player potential I think the team is left sorting through stats & numbers.  Coaches as scouts also leads to a lot of "project" guys because any coach thinks they're the perfect guy to unlock all that potential.  Even really good coaches make this mistake (Margus Hunt).  

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Without a scouting department to really dig in & do the deep dive on player potential I think the team is left sorting through stats & numbers.  Coaches as scouts also leads to a lot of "project" guys because any coach thinks they're the perfect guy to unlock all that potential.  Even really good coaches make this mistake (Margus Hunt).  

I'm not sure about football, but in other sports there is often a conflict between scouts and coaches.  Scouts spend all their time on "measurables" while coaches want to see them play.  I tend to lean toward guys who can play.  How many big, athletic WRs have the Bengals signed or drafted over the past few seasons that can't play for squat?  Meanwhile in New England, they find gritty little guys that find a way to get open. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I'm not sure about football, but in other sports there is often a conflict between scouts and coaches.  Scouts spend all their time on "measurables" while coaches want to see them play.  I tend to lean toward guys who can play.  How many big, athletic WRs have the Bengals signed or drafted over the past few seasons that can't play for squat?  Meanwhile in New England, they find gritty little guys that find a way to get open. 

Well, NE routinely cheats, so that probably helps some.

We have no conflict between scouts and coaches, since they are the same people.  Unless they're schizo or something.

5 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

New England knows how to use those “gritty little players.”  If they were with the Bengals, they would have been playing special teams or sitting on the bench...or on the practice squad.

I am hopeful that that narrative changes with Zac...but I’m not holding my breath.

56 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Yeah well let’s how that works out for them without Tom Brady throwing them the ball. 

I agree, but you have to admit their WRs have been better than the vast majority of picks and unsigned FAs the Bengals have run through over the past 5+ years. 

18 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I agree, but you have to admit their WRs have been better than the vast majority of picks and unsigned FAs the Bengals have run through over the past 5+ years. 

Who besides Edelman and Welker?

11 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Ross has blazing speed from the line right up to the first defensive player to jam him about four feet into his route.

Also have to factor in that he stops his run downfield to ask directions because he forgot where he is supposed to go.

Besides IR.

I think this post won this little corner of the internet today.

14 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Ross has blazing speed from the line right up to the first defensive player to jam him about four feet into his route.

Also have to factor in that he stops his run downfield to ask directions because he forgot where he is supposed to go.

Besides IR.

Classic. Nice one

On 3/5/2020 at 7:39 PM, High School Harry said:

Besides IR.

Lol...

John Ross could stop take directions and Still beat his man to the endzone..

Maybe someone could throw him an accurate ball to do that...

On 3/6/2020 at 8:06 PM, claptonrocks said:

Lol...

John Ross could stop take directions and Still beat his man to the endzone..

Maybe someone could throw him an accurate ball to do that...

Yeah I suppose it's also Andy's fault that he spent most of his career on IR.  Or dropped passes that hit him directly in the hands when he did get on the field. 

Dalton is #30 all time in completion percentage, but don't let that get in the way of the narrative.  Gotta see what we had in Ryan Finley! fInAlLy sOmEoNe cAn gEt tHe bAlL to AJ!

🙄

The only person holding back John Ross is John Ross.

https://www.footballdb.com/leaders/career-passing-completionpct

Archived