Trading Dalton Discussion

Not sure if this is the right place but Carolina just signed an XFL quarterback named P.J. Walker.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/xfl-star-pj-walker-reportedly-agrees-to-deal-with-carolina-panthers-160439266.html

The point being another possible destination for Andy in some form or another off the board.

Looking more and more like Andy will be our backup and grooming Athens Joe.

16 hours ago, tibor75 said:

First of all you don't pay somebody because of their legacy.  That's a good way to ruin your franchise (a lesson Bill B never fell victim to).  Well, the Cardinals did that with Fitzgerald.  And Fitz is a HOF-er, franchise icon.  Dullton is neither. 

Zero play off wins.  1 playoff TD.   He's earned a ticket out of town. 

We wouldn't be paying him because of his legacy; we'd be paying him because we signed a contract. 

3 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Not sure if this is the right place but Carolina just signed an XFL quarterback named P.J. Walker.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/xfl-star-pj-walker-reportedly-agrees-to-deal-with-carolina-panthers-160439266.html

The point being another possible destination for Andy in some form or another off the board.

And the Panthers made room by trading Kyle Allen to the Skins. I don't see any landing spot for Andy as a starter; unless the Chargers want to open their new stadium with Andy as the face of the franchise, but they'd be wise to go get Cam. He would put butts in seats. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

In Green's case they will probably want to front load most of the signing bonus so if he gets injured again or simply isn't his same ole self they can off load him earlier and not take a big cap hit.  I agree with WJ3. 

Green is getting 18 mil on the tag but he wants a multi-year deal. It won't average 18 mil as he's on the back 9 of his career. He may get 15-16 mil on average, with 10-20% up front in signing bonus. 

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

I think we will just cut him eventually. The market for him clearly was very weak to non existent. paying a backup $17M makes zero sense

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I think we will just cut him eventually. The market for him clearly was very weak to non existent. paying a backup $17M makes zero sense

Unless he wants a backup job with them for backup money...

If not let him go...

28 minutes ago, Bengal Cat said:

Didn't our former head coach and current co-defensive coordinator (whatever the fuck that means) of the ASU Sun Devils once say that any team would be glad to have Andy Dalton? Could be why hes co-defensive coordinator at ASU.

+1 for the comment and I would like to give another +1 for the avatar but can't.

Ohhhhh Yeeaaaahhhh

1 hour ago, Bengal Cat said:

Didn't our former head coach and current co-defensive coordinator (whatever the fuck that means) of the ASU Sun Devils once say that any team would be glad to have Andy Dalton? Could be why hes co-defensive coordinator at ASU.

Explains perfectly why the clown who said that couldn't win a playoff game. 

On 3/22/2020 at 11:04 PM, claptonrocks said:

Bengal QBs playoff records..

Boomer.....3-2

Anderson..2-4

Carson......1-3

Andy...........0-4

None of them actually lit it up come playoff time..

Well, it's a franchise problem.  Only playoff wins EVER:

2 in 1981

2 in 1988

1 in 1990

That's it.  Paul Brown won everywhere he went - except Cincinnati (and stupidly didn't hire Bill Walsh to succeed him)

6 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Would it make more sense if we started Andy and sat Joe for a year, sorta like KC did with Smith and Mahomes? I really don't get the "we cannot pay $17 mil for a backup QB" Why can't we just see it as we're paying $24 mil for the QB position and putting ourselves in the best situation at the most important position on the team?  If Andy is starter material like many around here believe, just keep him this year, let him go in FA next year and pick up a 2022 comp pick?

1 hour ago, bfine said:

Would it make more sense if we started Andy and sat Joe for a year, sorta like KC did with Smith and Mahomes? I really don't get the "we cannot pay $17 mil for a backup QB" Why can't we just see it as we're paying $24 mil for the QB position and putting ourselves in the best situation at the most important position on the team?  If Andy is starter material like many around here believe, just keep him this year, let him go in FA next year and pick up a 2022 comp pick?

Smith had won 12 games and was a pro bowler before Mahomes was picked the following spring.   When the Chiefs realized how good Mahomes was it was easy to let Smith go and not resign him to a probable $90mil contract.  

Nobody knew Mahomes would be this great,  well at least the first 9 teams in the draft didn’t nor did Chief fans.   He was never talked about as being the future of the league like Manning, Luck, or Newton were.  Still, I am sure having that year with Smith AND ANDY REID help Mahomes prepare as a starter.  

The real problem is the Bengal fans will go apeshit if Burrow doesn’t start quickly.  They didn’t go 12-4 and the QB wasn’t a pro bowler last year.  Nobody wants to see a repeat of 2003 with Kitna going 8-8 and Palmer not taking a snap the entire year. 

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Panthers just released Newton. 

I'd bet against Andy being traded now. He's either going to be staring while Burrow learns like we did with Kitna and Palmer or he's going to be released. 

Just as long as Boy Wonder doesn't start Dalton the entire year like Marvin did with Kitna I would be ok with it.  And spare me the Kitna almost got us to the playoffs, he was never the future. 

BTW, there seems to be way too much drama surrounding Newton at all times.  I would much rather go with Winston.  Everything I heard was that he worked hard and his teammates  and coaches liked him. 

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Just as long as Boy Wonder doesn't start Dalton the entire year like Marvin did with Kitna I would be ok with it.  And spare me the Kitna almost got us to the playoffs, he was never the future. 

I guess it would depend on the Oline play, if they are getting Dalton killed I dont want Burrow starting as that would hurt his progress imo if he is getting killed too.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I guess it would depend on the Oline play, if they are getting Dalton killed I dont want Burrow starting as that would hurt his progress imo if he is getting killed too.

If Dalton is getting killed and doing horribly to boot, the fanbase and media will scream for Burrow.    Classic Catch-22

If Dalton didn't get killed last year, why would he this year?

Lack of a running game for most of the year and a lack of legitimate targets seemed to have more of an affect on his overall production than the o-line did, IMO. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

If Dalton is getting killed and doing horribly to boot, the fanbase and media will scream for Burrow.    Classic Catch-22

Didn't we already do that this year?  🤔

"member people screaming for Kitna when Carson struggled his first few games? 🍇  I 'member.

For the record, AD got sacked 37 times & hit around twice that (87 allowed by the OL but he was benched for 3 games).  Not the worst punching bag in the NFL, but he'd be on the list.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Didn't we already do that this year?  🤔

"member people screaming for Kitna when Carson struggled his first few games? 🍇  I 'member.

For the record, AD got sacked 37 times & hit around twice that (87 allowed by the OL but he was benched for 3 games).  Not the worst punching bag in the NFL, but he'd be on the list.

It did not help that the crack coaching staff was essentially ignoring the run game early on

26 minutes ago, bfine said:

What happened to GMs around the league knowing it wasn't Andy's fault that Andy was garbage last year?

Just can't seem to let it go can you?  Most of us have moved on.   Did Dalton take your parking spot at Trader Joe's or something once?

Archived