Trading Dalton Discussion

10 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

I still say they release right before training camps begin.

Side bar:

Jamesis Winston going to the Stealers would be a great fit for him and bad for us.

If someone could minimize his glaring propensity to throw really bad INTs they would have a very dangerous QB.   Until then he is 2005 Brett Favre   20 TDs, 29 Ints. 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

If someone could minimize his glaring propensity to throw really bad INTs they would have a very dangerous QB.   Until then he is 2005 Brett Favre   20 TDs, 29 Ints. 

He had Lasik surgery during the off season which I truly believe contributed to his high number of INTs.

I remember when he was in college and couldn't see the sidelines from the field.

How he ever made it this far without at least contacts is an amazing feat in itself.

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

If Dalton didn't get killed last year, why would he this year?

Lack of a running game for most of the year and a lack of legitimate targets seemed to have more of an affect on his overall production than the o-line did, IMO. 

Well, he throws the ball way too quickly in fear of death.  At the end of the day, he leaves too many plays on the field because of his fear of death.  Death is permanent. 

1 minute ago, SmoothD said:

He had Lasik surgery during the off season which I truly believe contributed to his high number of INTs.

I remember when he was in college and couldn't see the sidelines from the field.

How he ever made it this far without at least contacts is an amazing feat in itself.

Like I said, I have seen him do some Mahomes like shit with the ball only to follow it up with some Gus Ferrotte. 

43 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Just can't seem to let it go can you?  Most of us have moved on.   Did Dalton take your parking spot at Trader Joe's or something once?

Andy did nothing to me. I just found the over-valuing of him as a player around here to be humorous.

Does "moved on" in this case mean 'we were wrong as....'

6 minutes ago, bfine said:

Andy did nothing to me. I just found the over-valuing of him as a player around here to be humorous.

Does "moved on" in this case mean 'we were wrong as....'

He played at the level analysts thought he would..

Average ...sometimes decent sometimes bad..

Thats who he was and is...

Id be allright paying him Backup money but Zac may want to move on from him with his guy coming aboard..

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The Bengals will release Dalton.  No point in paying a guy $17M if he doesn't want to be here.  Then again he may have changed his tune once he found out there is little market for his services.  I still expect him to be released.

The best thing the Bengals could have done for Andy was state they had no intention of trading Andy. He's our starting QB and if we select Burrow it will be an open competitions (wink, wink, nod, nod). That way folks could have blamed the franchise instead of Andy when we fail to get any compensation for him. As to the release: I doubt it; at least simply because of $. They've said since jump that $ is not the issue.

My guess has never changed. If Andy can act like an adult we hold on to him, possible mid-season trade when Wentz gets hurt again, if not let him hit FA and get a 2022 comp pick for him if he amounts to anything. Too many people are worried about saving Mike Brown money.

1 minute ago, bfine said:

The best thing the Bengals could have done for Andy was state they had no intention of trading Andy. He's our starting QB and if we select Burrow it will be an open competitions (wink, wink, nod, nod). That way folks could have blamed the franchise instead of Andy when we fail to get any compensation for him. As to the release: I doubt it; at least simply because of $. They've said since jump that $ is not the issue.

My guess has never changed. If Andy can act like an adult we hold on to him, possible mid-season trade when Wentz gets hurt again, if not let him hit FA and get a 2022 comp pick for him if he amounts to anything. Too many people are worried about saving Mike Brown money.

That 17.7 mil gies a Long way into signing our guys they want to keep...

Just now, claptonrocks said:

That 17.7 mil gies a Long way into signing our guys they want to keep...

We've got everybody we need signed for the upcoming season and we've been one of the biggest spenders in FA. Nothing wrong with working some extensions mid-season when we can push the money to next year with Andy off the books.

14 minutes ago, bfine said:

We've got everybody we need signed for the upcoming season and we've been one of the biggest spenders in FA. Nothing wrong with working some extensions mid-season when we can push the money to next year with Andy off the books.

I disagree, the Bengals haven't addressed the two biggest holes on this roster, OT and LB.

Cutting Andy and Dre should still be on the table and using that cap staff to improve those units.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

It did not help that the crack coaching staff was essentially ignoring the run game early on

I wonder if that might have had something to do with the fact that the RB's were getting hit 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage as soon as they were handed the ball?

Back in 2003, it was odd for a rookie QB to be starting, so Palmer sitting behind kINTa was expected. 

The dumber thing was in 2004.  Marvin announced Palmer the starter preseason and several media types (I remember Peter King) were saying that's horrible, Palmer has to earn it, blah blah blah

Of course national media didn't realize what we fans know about kINTa as we watched him every week - he may give you a win or two, but eventually his small hands and noodle arm catches up to you.  He was never a playoff caliber QB.  At least Dullton can get you to the playoffs.  Just cant win there.  kINTa can't even do that

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

I disagree, the Bengals haven't addressed the two biggest holes on this roster, OT and LB.

Cutting Andy and Dre should still be on the table and using that cap staff to improve those units.

Well the signing everyone we need was in response to him saying Andy's salary could go toward signing our own. It's why I mentioned mid-season extensions. I did mention us spending big in FA and we did. Are there more folks out there that can help? Yes, but none that would break the bank. 

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

🙏

Turn that into any OL or LB help, maybe extend Mixon or AJ.  At this point I suspect they'll wait to see how the draft shakes out then backfill with FA up to & during camp.

5 hours ago, spicoli said:

I wonder if that might have had something to do with the fact that the RB's were getting hit 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage as soon as they were handed the ball?

Yeah that's always the excuse.  2 yards rushing is still better than an incomplete pass, sack or INT but we'll call 40 passes a game.  5 runs in the first half & if one of them doesn't go for 50 yards it's panic mode.  Gio gets stuffed on an obvious give-up draw on 3rd & long and that's the excuse to abandon the run. again.  

:35:

18 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah that's always the excuse.  2 yards rushing is still better than an incomplete pass, sack or INT but we'll call 40 passes a game.  5 runs in the first half & if one of them doesn't go for 50 yards it's panic mode.  Gio gets stuffed on an obvious give-up draw on 3rd & long and that's the excuse to abandon the run. again.  

:35:

When the coaches upstairs are getting a birds eye view of their OL getting blown off the football and being completely overmatched in the running game, how many options do they really have?

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

When the coaches upstairs are getting a birds eye view of their OL getting blown off the football and being completely overmatched in the running game, how many options do they really have?

When the coaches upstairs are getting a birds eye view of their OL getting blown off the football and being completely overmatched in the passing game, how many options do they really have?

It's not like they were doing any better throwing it.  At least a RB gets a running start first.  Why is a 2 yard gain failure but the QB getting hit for the 5th time doesn't register?

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

It's almost like it's tough to call anything when the OL sucks....who woulda thunk that?

Maybe that is why good O-Lineman command such high salaries and are hard to find?  BTW, the team's pass blocking was not horrible but when you add in no #1 or #2 receiver and a subpar TE receiving group it was never going to be a good year.

40 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Maybe that is why good O-Lineman command such high salaries and are hard to find?  BTW, the team's pass blocking was not horrible but when you add in no #1 or #2 receiver and a subpar TE receiving group it was never going to be a good year.

Exactly.

Someone in the FO is smart enough to understand that there is merit for holding onto Andy:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/26/bengals-in-no-hurry-to-decide-what-to-do-with-andy-dalton/

The Bengals haven’t decided what to do with Dalton and are in no hurry to make a decision, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. Cincinnati could keep Dalton for the 2020 season, trade him or cut him.

24 minutes ago, bfine said:

Someone in the FO is smart enough to understand that there is merit for holding onto Andy:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/26/bengals-in-no-hurry-to-decide-what-to-do-with-andy-dalton/

24 minutes ago, bfine said:

So theyve decided to keep trade or release him..

Well that took some thought into it.

Lol

Archived