Trading Dalton Discussion

25 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

Damn, paid him $50 mil guaranteed and his dead cap number is $32+ mil for 2020.  A trade is possible if someone wants to pay Foles almost $16 mil.  

Since Minshew’s pay is nothing close to Foles’ it isn’t impossible. They would would only have $17 +mil in cap tied up at the position.  Of course you need to find a team to do this with. 

9 minutes ago, membengal said:

Also, he's untradeable at that contract and the dead money to Jax would be obscene in any event. 

The thing is Minshew only counts $632k toward the cap.  If they are moving on from Foles they won’t need to pay more for a QB.  They might get some money back with a trade.  

1 hour ago, thezerawkid said:

SHEEESH! Balls on them.

That's the most Bengally move by a non-Bengals team in awhile.

Cannot endorse this.

There's plenty reason to hate on the Bengal FO; however, contract negotiation is not one of them.

12 minutes ago, bfine said:

Cannot endorse this.

There's plenty reason to hate on the Bengal FO; however, contract negotiation is not one of them.

The Foles contract situation is the main reason the Bengals don't go after a top tier FA - they fear what happens when they don't work out more than the relish the benefit if he does work out

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

He's going to get shopped.

Going to be lots of musical chairs. We haven't even talked about Bridgewater, Marriota, Tannehill....

Not to mention with Love looking good in the combine we could be talking up to 5 1st RD QBs. My fear is The Stealers take Love and he lives up to the Mahomes comparison.

23 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

they fear what happens when they don't work out more than the relish the benefit if he does work out

But more often than not, they don’t. Bengals M.O. to this point has been to simply play the percentages. 

28 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The Foles contract situation is the main reason the Bengals don't go after a top tier FA - they fear what happens when they don't work out more than the relish the benefit if he does work out

Yeah, but quarterback, both as a position and a contract, is extenuating. It’s a potential logjam in a way position groups are not. They’re also potentially the highest paid dudes on the team.

3 hours ago, membengal said:

Foles would be 15.5 million dead money. Apparently would be largest such his in NFL since this came about. He's untradeable. 

No doubt Jacksonville would have to eat part of the contract to move him I believe.  The point is the cap money spent by Jacksonville at the QB position isn't nearly as much as Seattle, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles or Minn.  Taking a $15.8 mil dead cap hit isn't a big deal because they think they already have his replacement at huge discount.  The reality is they would probably have to pay part of his salary to move him but even a one year $25 mil cap hit isn't horrible as long as you THINK you have your franchise QB gong forward and won't have to pay him much the next 3 years.   

Alex Smith has a dead cap number of $32.2 mil, now THAT would be a huge issue considering Haskins may not be the answer.  Not sure how the injury thing works though. 

3 hours ago, membengal said:

Foles would be 15.5 million dead money. Apparently would be largest such his in NFL since this came about. He's untradeable. 

He's not at all untradeable. Jax would have to eat the 15.5 mil in dead money but they would also save slightly more in salary and roster bonus so it's a wash for them in 2020 and pure savings in future years. The problem with trading Foles is it leaves them with Minshew as their QB. If they are ok with that, then they should trade Foles because he makes too much to be a backup. 

I'd imagine there are teams that trust Foles more than Dalton or Winston. If they can get him for a mid round pick, and especially if Jax picks up some of his salary, it's a good deal. 

On 2/27/2020 at 11:12 PM, OU_Stripes said:

If there's a second round pick in it, I will trade him to absolutely anyone except Pittsburgh. In Cleveland or Baltimore he probably wouldn't start.

i would give THEM a second round pick to get to face andy twice a year

11 minutes ago, crazycat said:

I feel that we won't see Dalton moved until draft day #2. I think most teams will wait to see what is left, and then go after him.

i was thinking ON draft day 2... i think bears, colts, pats, etc all see who falls in this QB class, and/or who they can grab of the FAs, and if none, peddle a second round pick or maybe a third.

If Andy goes elsewhere he needs to give Paul Dehner a big thank you card. Ever since he posted his article from a "person with knowledge".  Personally I think the market for Andy will be as a back up or competition. I don't see any franchise handing the keys over to Andy and saying "lead us". I'd look at what the Fins got for Tannehill last year as realistic:

Basically the Titans got Tannehill and pick 188 in 2019 for pick # 233 in 2019 and the 4th to last pick in RD 4 this year. So basically nothing.

Archived