Bengals will be active in Free Agency

43 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'll believe it when I see it. The Bengals definition of being active might just mean signing 3rd tier free agents on day 3 instead of day 14.

Look at all this activity

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cincinnati-bengals/

AJ's tag alone is 1/10th of the cap? 

If they bring back Dennard & Vigil, maybe extend Mixon.. 

Super active.

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

Maybe Joe has some leverage after all.....

IF......this would actually happen, I think it's Zach and not Joe ( I know you were joking)

They have been making noise about this for the last month or so - but - I'll believe it when i see it.

One can only hope

Well, not that we have anything to go by besides Rapoport’s article and a teensy tiny quote from Tobin last week, but, the Reds certainly broke their own model this past offseason. And, in a really big way.

I have no way of knowing if the Brown family pays attention to Castellini, but, they are in an exclusive club being professional sports franchise owners in the city of Cincinnati. Perhaps they keep at least an ear to the ground about one another.

13 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

IF......this would actually happen, I think it's Zach and not Joe ( I know you were joking)

They have been making noise about this for the last month or so - but - I'll believe it when i see it.

One can only hope

I mean IF it comes to fruition, maybe it wasn’t even a matter of a wet behind the ears, first time NFL head coach working leverage. Maybe he just mentioned it during his interview and ownership might finally be leaving the cold, crusty grasp of Mike Brown. Maybe the Blackburn’s and Tobin are finally ready to answer the bell and choose winning over profiting. 

17 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

I mean IF it comes to fruition, maybe it wasn’t even a matter of a wet behind the ears, first time NFL head coach working leverage. Maybe he just mentioned it during his interview and ownership might finally be leaving the cold, crusty grasp of Mike Brown. Maybe the Blackburn’s and Tobin are finally ready to answer the bell and choose winning over profiting. 

In the infamous words of Marvin Lewis "I see better than I hear"

2 hours ago, Jimmy D said:

I don't doubt for an instant that Mr. Brown wants nothing more in this world than to win a professional championship.  I guess were fixing to see what that entails for Mr. Thrifty.

Huh? Are you kidding? I'm sure Mike Brown would like a Lombardi trophy to fall into his lap but he certainly isn't trying very hard to get one. Other teams use all means available to sign and support the best players and coaches they can get. The Bengals don't. 

7 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Huh? Are you kidding? I'm sure Mike Brown would like a Lombardi trophy to fall into his lap but he certainly isn't trying very hard to get one. Other teams use all means available to sign and support the best players and coaches they can get. The Bengals don't. 

Small market..owners now much richer..

Problem is the Browns will never sell unless pushed out..

Their biggest dividend by keeping the team is rising price to own one..

All business they are...

Article on smart free agency in the Athletic today:

https://theathletic.com/1648128/2020/03/04/nine-guidelines-to-avoid-disaster-and-maybe-find-success-in-nfl-free-agency/

Of the 36 Kansas City Chiefs players who were on the field for at least one offensive or defensive snap during the Super Bowl, 10 were originally signed to the roster as unrestricted free agents.

So what’s the point? It’s long been true that the best way to build is through the draft. That’s where teams can find players whose performance exceeds their cost. Free agency is a different animal. It’s the one time players can hit the open market and actually find out what they’re worth. Signing big-name free agents often ends in disappointment because the expectations associated with the cost are so high.

Having said that, teams shouldn’t just completely sit out free agency (I’m looking at you, Cincinnati). They should strategically look to fill needs and supplement their rosters before the draft. The Chiefs got great value from right tackle Mitchell Schwartz after signing him as a free agent in 2016. They also added safety Tyrann Mathieu as a free agent last offseason, and he became a key defensive player during their Super Bowl run.

1. Focus on age, injury and character

2. Don’t spend on RBs, two-down LBs or two-down DTs

9 in total. Mostly common sense stuff

Oh no, we lost Chris Smith.....

The 2019 roster was pretty similar to the 2018, the front office gave a lot of people players an opportunity to audition for the new coaches.

Now that the season is over I expect a lot of turnover in the roster now that the coaching staff has had time to evaluate the roster and the rest of the NFL. 

Cutting or trading guys like Dalton, Glenn, Kirkpatrick, and even Bernard can free up some serious cap space that would allow this front office and coaching staff plenty of money to revamp the roster.

8 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Article on smart free agency in the Athletic today:

https://theathletic.com/1648128/2020/03/04/nine-guidelines-to-avoid-disaster-and-maybe-find-success-in-nfl-free-agency/

Of the 36 Kansas City Chiefs players who were on the field for at least one offensive or defensive snap during the Super Bowl, 10 were originally signed to the roster as unrestricted free agents.

So what’s the point? It’s long been true that the best way to build is through the draft. That’s where teams can find players whose performance exceeds their cost. Free agency is a different animal. It’s the one time players can hit the open market and actually find out what they’re worth. Signing big-name free agents often ends in disappointment because the expectations associated with the cost are so high.

Having said that, teams shouldn’t just completely sit out free agency (I’m looking at you, Cincinnati). They should strategically look to fill needs and supplement their rosters before the draft. The Chiefs got great value from right tackle Mitchell Schwartz after signing him as a free agent in 2016. They also added safety Tyrann Mathieu as a free agent last offseason, and he became a key defensive player during their Super Bowl run.

1. Focus on age, injury and character

2. Don’t spend on RBs, two-down LBs or two-down DTs

9 in total. Mostly common sense stuff

Who the hell wrote that article? Applaud the signing of Tyrann Mathieu and then say you should focus on character? 

Archived