Bengals will be active in Free Agency

9 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Oh no, we lost Chris Smith.....

The 2019 roster was pretty similar to the 2018, the front office gave a lot of people players an opportunity to audition for the new coaches.

Now that the season is over I expect a lot of turnover in the roster now that the coaching staff has had time to evaluate the roster and the rest of the NFL. 

Cutting or trading guys like Dalton, Glenn, Kirkpatrick, and even Bernard can free up some serious cap space that would allow this front office and coaching staff plenty of money to revamp the roster.

I don't know if Bernard lost it this past season or what, but talk about underutilized.  I would think a few teams would like him as a third down back if there is any tread left on that tire.

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I don't know if Bernard lost it this past season or what, but talk about underutilized.  I would think a few teams would like him as a third down back if there is any tread left on that tire.

Oh New England would!...

Hes's the perfect back for their system.

Maybe 200 carries and catches with them..

Yes Cincinnati underutilized him last year but why?

Because Mixon took over on any down ..

Gio is still valuable but Joe is the workhorse..

11 hours ago, bfine said:

Who the hell wrote that article? Applaud the signing of Tyrann Mathieu and then say you should focus on character? 

I haven't followed him closely.  What character issues has he had since being drafted?

5 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Oh New England would!...

He may have been on the field, but Mixon got 20+ carries only once before the last 4 games of the season & that was in a blowout to Baltimore where we were just trying to run clock and get it over with.  This team has long been allergic to running the ball, particularly in clutch short yardage situations.  They always get cute & try to set up their chess set in the boxing ring.  Our OC's would rather show everyone how creative they are than do the obvious thing that works.

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Oh New England would!...

Mixon wasn’t very valuable either until Glenn finally decided to play and Jordan got 1/2 a season of big fella football under his belt. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Mixon wasn’t very valuable either until Glenn finally decided to play and Jordan got 1/2 a season of big fella football under his belt. 

Mixon was getting 10-12 carries a game, 15 tops, through most of the year.  In the season opener he got 6.  He obviously wasn't part of their Culture System Plan for whatever reason.  I know the popular reasoning is that our OL can't run block but they can't pass block either & they had no problem letting our QB's get sacked 50 times. 

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Your right...i stand corrected..

Maybe Im hoping that could be the case this year...

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Mixon was getting 10-12 carries a game, 15 tops, through most of the year.  In the season opener he got 6.  He obviously wasn't part of their Culture System Plan for whatever reason.  I know the popular reasoning is that our OL can't run block but they can't pass block either & they had no problem letting our QB's get sacked 50 times. 

Well, Mixon was ranked 27th in yards per attempt for RBs who rushed for more than 500 yards last season so yeah, I am thinking the OL couldn't run block.  When first and 10 turns into 2 and long almost every set of downs you tend to pass alot.

12 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Well, Mixon was ranked 27th in yards per attempt for RBs who rushed for more than 500 yards last season so yeah, I am thinking the OL couldn't run block.  When first and 10 turns into 2 and long almost every set of downs you tend to pass alot.

Amazing they were able to determine all that after only 6 attempts in the opening game.  What a System!  :ninja:

7 hours ago, Jason said:

I haven't followed him closely.  What character issues has he had since being drafted?

Well the College stuff would be enough to laugh at the correlation; however, he was recently involved in an extortion case and report of threatening. Reports indicate a relative tried to extort him or release proof of sexual misconduct. It was also claimed that Tyrann threatened to retaliate.

WTS, I'd love to have him on my team I'm just not ready to applaud his character. Reminds me of folks that said 'What did Pacman do since he paralyzed that dude?"

1 hour ago, bfine said:

Well the College stuff would be enough to laugh at the correlation; however, he was recently involved in an extortion case and report of threatening. Reports indicate a relative tried to extort him or release proof of sexual misconduct. It was also claimed that Tyrann threatened to retaliate.

WTS, I'd love to have him on my team I'm just not ready to applaud his character. Reminds me of folks that said 'What did Pacman do since he paralyzed that dude?"

Your right....

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 7:12 PM, sparky151 said:

Huh? Are you kidding? I'm sure Mike Brown would like a Lombardi trophy to fall into his lap but he certainly isn't trying very hard to get one. Other teams use all means available to sign and support the best players and coaches they can get. The Bengals don't. 

Yup.  He would take a Super Bowl if someone gave it to him....but he will never trade a dollar for a W.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Amazing they were able to determine all that after only 6 attempts in the opening game.  What a System!  :ninja:

He had 11 carries in his next game and averaged 1.5 yards a carry.   Why would the team continue to run him in that game, honest question?  Guy got hit in the backfield more than any RB I watched this year and yes it was the offensive line's fault. 

4 hours ago, bfine said:

Thanks

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

He had 11 carries in his next game and averaged 1.5 yards a carry.   Why would the team continue to run him in that game, honest question?  Guy got hit in the backfield more than any RB I watched this year and yes it was the offensive line's fault. 

Keep the defense honest & protect the QB? Obviously protecting the QB wasn't a priority last season but going chickenshit in running situations has been a hallmark of this team for a long time.

You could apply your same logic to throwing the ball. Not like they were having great success there either.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I still rember Mixon on a handoff and cut to the middle hoping John Mill would take out the MLB..Think is was against Cleveland..

Miller couldnt get iff his intial block and their was Joe facing an unblocked MLB..

No gain!!!

21 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I still rember Mixon on a handoff and cut to the middle hoping John Mill would take out the MLB..Think is was against Cleveland..

Miller couldnt get iff his intial block and their was Joe facing an unblocked MLB..

No gain!!!

Which is usually the worst that will happen on a running play.  "Oh no! He only gained a yard! Guess we have to abandon the run now! Much better to throw it 40 times, let the QB get stomped & throw 3 interceptions!"

Once the defense knows you're scared to hand it off it's pretty much game over.  

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Which is usually the worst that will happen on a running play.  "Oh no! He only gained a yard! Guess we have to abandon the run now! Much better to throw it 40 times, let the QB get stomped & throw 3 interceptions!"

Totally agree..just saying Miller wasnt exactly sufficient at pulling..he did have a groin injury taken into consideration...

I believe coach Turner is okay with Miller i

Not to say some competition wouldnt hurt..

Yes if you xant run your definately behind the 8 ball every game...

Being active in free agency doesn't automatically correlate to spending big on free agents.  I don't expect any top free agents to consider signing here nor do I expect the Bengals to set the market with their offers.  Maybe they prove me wrong, but I doubt it'll be much different than what they've done in the past.  They will probably stay out of it early and try to get bargains and quantity over quality.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

When your offensive coaching staff is sitting 3 stories up and watching from a birds eye view the o'line getting blown backwards on every running play, what exactly is it that they're supposed to call?

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

When your offensive coaching staff is sitting 3 stories up and watching from a birds eye view the o'line getting blown backwards on every running play, what exactly is it that they're supposed to call?

Well like I said, they were getting destroyed in pass protection too & that's far more likely to result in turnovers..   Gaining one yard is better than an incomplete pass.

I have no reservations whatsoever about the line left to center....Williams/Jordan/Hopkins....I truly believe those 3 will be rock solid.

What will they do about the right side though? That's the real question. I can live with Hart as long as they can find a stud G to play next to him.

We'll see. 

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

He gained 15 yards on 11 carries..., not 1 carry. And by the way, neither QB got hurt last season even though they were missing their #1 receiver all year and the #2 much of it.  

Regardless, Mixon was 27th in yards per carry last year. He was ineffective most of the year. 

Archived