Bengals will be active in Free Agency

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Regardless, Mixon was 27th in yards per carry last year. He was ineffective most of the year. 

And the QB's weren't?  If the play calling is based on production we should have been punting on first down. 

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

And the QB's weren't?  If the play calling is based on production we should have been punting on first down. 

I am not sure what point you are trying to make and almost every play call is based on trying to produce an outcome.   That outcome is typically production of YARDS. 

If you can average 4 yards on first down it gives you more flexibility on 2nd down, this isn’t rocket surgery. 

All of us know both QBs sucked last year. Again, not sure what your point is. BTW, the defense was terrible as well. The team is picking 1st for a reason, it sucked everywhere. 

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

He gained 15 yards on 11 carries..., not 1 carry. And by the way, neither QB got hurt last season even though they were missing their #1 receiver all year and the #2 much of it.  

Regardless, Mixon was 27th in yards per carry last year. He was ineffective most of the year. 

Mixon averaged 3.7 ypc in the games Glenn didn't play and 4.7 ypc in the 6 games Glenn did play. 

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

I am not sure what point you are trying to make

Really?

Me; We tend to abandon the run too easily

You: Mixon wasn't gaining many yards

Me: We weren't gaining many yards passing either.

You: What's your point?

My point was that we abandon the run too easily.

:thwack1:

If you want to say Dalton was given too much leeway to audible out of runs, that would make more sense.  It was pretty obvious that DCs knew they could show a gap blitz and he'd almost always audible into a pass play.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:11 PM, UncleEarl said:

I don't know if Bernard lost it this past season or what, but talk about underutilized.  I would think a few teams would like him as a third down back if there is any tread left on that tire.

To be honest, I don’t think the coaches had any idea about how to use him, so they didn’t.

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

And if that is the case, these coaches are useless

Not the case..

They had a mess to sort out..everywhere..

Who can do what?...who to team together?..

Attitudes and work ethics ...

So much to take in analize and piece together for a rookie coach..

Could be much smoother this season...

4 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Not the case..

Nowhere to go but up in that department

17 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Not the case..

So you are saying the coaches were too busy or confused to understand the skill set Gio has?  That is rather laughable. Clearly anyone watching tape from 2018 would instantly know that the OL was dreadful but with Mixon and Gio you could at least attempt a 1-2 running attack and utilize Gio’s skills in the open field. 

43 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

So you are saying the coaches were too busy or confused to understand the skill set Gio has?  That is rather laughable. Clearly anyone watching tape from 2018 would instantly know that the OL was dreadful but with Mixon and Gio you could at least attempt a 1-2 running attack and utilize Gio’s skills in the open field. 

But we were tanking.. :ninja:  That must have been a tough decision at 0-8 

With respect to Gio and his lack of use it's pretty fair I think to point out that neither RB was used much until the 'turning point' when they abandoned the original offense - which I think we'd all agree was overly pass-heavy.  When they made the change I simply took as them making Joe a classic "bell cow" RB and relegated Gio to a complementary back.  I don't think that's necessarily a bad choice, Joe is absolutely the rare "horse" type player than you can lean on like that.  With that said I do agree that they could be more creative and use Gio's skill set in several ways, even if they have him in a slot back role or some such and have him on the field with Joe more.

1 hour ago, HavePityPlease said:

With respect to Gio and his lack of use it's pretty fair I think to point out that neither RB was used much until the 'turning point' when they abandoned the original offense - which I think we'd all agree was overly pass-heavy.  When they made the change I simply took as them making Joe a classic "bell cow" RB and relegated Gio to a complementary back.  I don't think that's necessarily a bad choice, Joe is absolutely the rare "horse" type player than you can lean on like that.  With that said I do agree that they could be more creative and use Gio's skill set in several ways, even if they have him in a slot back role or some such and have him on the field with Joe more.

taco.jpg

:2dedhorse:   but there's our 3rd & short red zone offense.   With the right TE that'd be a nightmare to defend, both Gio & Joe can catch.  Gio should be out there breaking ankles on 3rd down.  

All comes back to the OL.  Instead of trying to account for a bad OL let's get a decent one?  🙏

* Every DC knew Mixon = run/PA, Gio=pass/draw 90% of the time..  Can the OL not even execute a screen?  I bet we called 2x more PA passes than actual runs. WTF?

56 minutes ago, bfine said:

According to this CPT Lou may be moving to a 3-4.

WTF?  Do any of our DL fit in a 3-4?  Geno doesn't, don't think Carlos does either.  Hubbard was just starting to shine in the 4-3.   Are we going to trade away all these guys for players that work in this alleged scheme or just keep trying to bang square pegs into round holes?  With zero linebackers we go to a linebacker-focused defense?  This is from, the official website too...  Pure comedy.

Lou Hasn't-got-a-clue-O

Ive looked at free agency lists on who might jump ship ..

Three linebackers stand out..

Joe Schobert ...Browns..

MLB that plays all facets of backing at a good level...

Blake Martinez..MLB ..Packers..better than Schoebert in coverage some say..

Not as good in run support...

Bud Dupree...Stealers....type of backer than can play DE or dropback into coversge..

All will command money..all around 27 yrs old..

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I think you mean 5 tech?  That is the DE in a 3-4.

I consider a 3-tech to line up to the outside shoulder of the guard. The 5-tech lines up to the outside shoulder of the tackle; regardless of 4-3 or 3-4. Of course folks can interchange these terms, but that's how I identify them. But yeah, Geno would be an exterior d-lineman in a 3-4

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

WTF?  Do any of our DL fit in a 3-4?  Geno doesn't, don't think Carlos does either.  Hubbard was just starting to shine in the 4-3.   Are we going to trade away all these guys for players that work in this alleged scheme or just keep trying to bang square pegs into round holes?  With zero linebackers we go to a linebacker-focused defense?  This is from, the official website too...  Pure comedy.

Lou Hasn't-got-a-clue-O

If you're good you're good. Chandler Jones has excelled both in the 3-4 and 4-3 and Aaron Donald is pretty much a Geno clone. With Carl Lawson and Hubbard on the edges, pretty much all you'd need in a MLB to go inside with Pratt. 

Archived