Bengals will be active in Free Agency

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

We're in good shape on the D-line and don't need to add Wolfe. He'll be expensive. My guess is we tender Tupou and keep him. We'd need to re-sign or replace Billings. He may be asking for a lot though. PFF gave him high marks last year. In a mock offseason I participated in, Billings was asking for 12 mil per on a long term deal. He didn't get it but instead of waiting for his price to come down, I signed Danny Shelton for 6 per. Shelton is a better player imo. 

Are we?  Geno is our only true 3, and he's getting old.  So is Wolfe, but he would improve the rotation.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

We're in good shape on the D-line and don't need to add Wolfe. He'll be expensive. My guess is we tender Tupou and keep him. We'd need to re-sign or replace Billings. He may be asking for a lot though. PFF gave him high marks last year. In a mock offseason I participated in, Billings was asking for 12 mil per on a long term deal. He didn't get it but instead of waiting for his price to come down, I signed Danny Shelton for 6 per. Shelton is a better player imo. 

We were 26th in the NFL in sacks last year. Our team leader was 21st in the NFL and he's 31 years old. We were 24th in allowing rushing yards. We are not in good shape anywhere on this team.

40 minutes ago, bfine said:

We were 26th in the NFL in sacks last year. Our team leader was 21st in the NFL and he's 31 years old. We were 24th in allowing rushing yards. We are not in good shape anywhere on this team.

Not true - management and coaches are top notch. And I hear the water boy is kick-ass

On 3/9/2020 at 4:16 PM, bfine said:

According to this CPT Lou may be moving to a 3-4.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-prime-for-combine-don-t-forget-the-defense

Wolfe would be a 3 tech

That would be the absolute dumbest thing we could do. We don't have the LBs for a 4/3 but we are gonna add another LB spot? Who's the NT? Do we think Geno's talents as a DT in a 4/3 transfer to a 3/4?

29 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I think Dunlap and Atkins could both play DE in a 3-4.  Billings or his replacement would be NT. Hubbard and probably Lawson would be OLBs. We'd still need to find 2 ILBs unless Pratt is considered a starter. 

Sounds like the classic mistake of trying to fit the players to the scheme instead of the other way around.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Sounds like the classic mistake of trying to fit the players to the scheme instead of the other way around.

3-4 doesn’t HAVE to be 2 DEs and a NT. The Rams run a 3-4. If Aaron Donald can play in a 3-4 so can Geno. 

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Pffft!   Lawson was made to be a 3-4 LB.  Not good enough vs run for 4-3 DE and not good enough in space to be a LB. 

47 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

We were literally discussing players changing position.  It's not just relevant, it's the entire point.

He would not change position, just the name of the position. He would play the 3 technique, the exact place he plays now. 

On 3/11/2020 at 6:59 PM, bfine said:

could be the offense  not scoring, lbs couldnt cover  and teams running with a lead cut into the sacks too

10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I think Dunlap and Atkins could both play DE in a 3-4.  Billings or his replacement would be NT. Hubbard and probably Lawson would be OLBs. We'd still need to find 2 ILBs unless Pratt is considered a starter. 

Pratt and a draft pick/ free agent could get it done, imo. I like Jordyn Brooks from Texas Tech in the 3rd round, if the Bengals can't sign a decent FA.

Don't forget about Andrew Brown, Josh Tupou, and Renell Wren. They could could all be 5 tech DE in a 3-4 base defense and let Dunlap and Geno play in passing or nickel/dime  situations with 4 DL. 

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We were literally discussing players changing position.  It's not just relevant, it's the entire point.

12 hours ago, bfine said:

He would not change position, just the name of the position. He would play the 3 technique, the exact place he plays now. 

Exactly.  Like I said, a 3-4 doesn't have to be 2 DEs and a NT.  Baltimore played DT, NT, and DE.  I think that's what the Rams do.  Geno would stay in the same place.  But there would be an OLB on the edge instead of a DE.  But that OLB could still be Dunlap.

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

Exactly.  Like I said, a 3-4 doesn't have to be 2 DEs and a NT.  Baltimore played DT, NT, and DE.  I think that's what the Rams do.  Geno would stay in the same place.  But there would be an OLB on the edge instead of a DE.  But that OLB could still be Dunlap.

Didn't we already try the Dunlap as LB thing?  Or is DE also the same position as LB but with different letters? Is a QB just a DB with a tail? Please advise. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Pretty much how it works. On obvious passing downs a linebacker lines up outside.  In our case it would probably be on the left side since Geno is a great interior pass rusher. 

in any case we are still woefully short quality LBs.  

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Didn't we already try the Dunlap as LB thing?  Or is DE also the same position as LB but with different letters? Is a QB just a DB with a tail? Please advise. 

It’s often called “edge” now. And Dunlap did some of that last season. 

so we have 1 lb that might be worthy as a stater

and you all want to switch to a 3-4 when last year they couldnt field a 5-2?

did any of our DL look linebackerish dropping into coverage last year?

i seen alot of rbs and tes wide open on my tv...... not sure what teams you was watching ....

10 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

so we have 1 lb that might be worthy as a stater

and you all want to switch to a 3-4 when last year they couldnt field a 5-2?

did any of our DL look linebackerish dropping into coverage last year?

i seen alot of rbs and tes wide open on my tv...... not sure what teams you was watching ....

i dont see it either unless they're going to sign or draft  some hybrids..

New age is about to happen..

Btw if any of our lineman could dropback at LB for covering a TE its Hubbard..bout same size..

On 3/13/2020 at 9:40 PM, claptonrocks said:

i dont see it either unless they're going to sign or draft  some hybrids..

New age is about to happen..

Btw if any of our lineman could dropback at LB for covering a TE its Hubbard..bout same size..

Hubbard would've had a breakout year on an average defense.  He still made a lot of plays.  Where does he fit in this alleged 3-4 scheme? 

Archived