Bengals will be active in Free Agency

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

PFF graded him at 67 for last year. Dre graded at 62.  I think we all agree Dre had a poor season. But we want to pay a marginally better player 14 mil per? Why not sign Conklin for the same amount and get a top RT? 

Why not see what Phillips can do? He graded 82 but on only 108 snaps. 

Agree on Phillips...he way be the ballhawk they need Conklin would have been very good but some players like a certain city and team..

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Brady to the Bucs, Andy to New England for a 3rd or better.  NE will probably draft Jordan Love as well.   This would be a fun year if we don't all die of the virus first.

I don't think they've got enough draft capital to move up that far. Especially true if the trade for Dalton.

I think Love goes before Herbert....top 13. 

I fully expect Darius Phillips to be the starting slot CB. You need three starters these days. William Jackson/Trae Waynes/Darius Phillips shapes up much better than William Jackson/Dre Kirkpatrick/Darqueze Dennard in my eyes. I was one of Kirkpatrick's biggest detractors and wanted him gone. It's going to happen. It might have been a steep price to pay but the Bengals just got younger and faster at an essential position in today's NFL.

The reality is that the first couple of days in free agency typically equals "overpaying". Most wanted the Bengals to be active and early on the market and they were. Dalton, one way or another appears to be gone which will recoup another $17 million+ against the cap. At least they are spending which is better than sitting on their hands as per usual. Let's hope they can bolster the offensive line and linebacker still before it's over.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Byron Jones got 16 mil and is much better than Waynes. Typical of the Bengals to pay top dollar for second tier talent.

Waynes+Phillips will probably make about as much as Dennard+Kirkpatrick did last year. But we still need to use an early pick on a CB.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems you're reaching for something to be mad about. Trae Waynes was one of the best CBs on the market.

I see you say it's typical of the Bengals to pay top dollar for second tier talent. I can only assume you never said they won't do anything in FA. Amiright? 

Yes, but DT and CB weren't among their biggest needs. Fixing the O-line and finding some good LBs should have been higher priorities. But they'll now tell us they are done with expensive signings and the cupboard is bare. They could have signed Conklin and Schobert for less than they spent on Reader and Waynes and have a better team. 

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, but DT and CB weren't among their biggest needs. Fixing the O-line and finding some good LBs should have been higher priorities. But they'll now tell us they are done with expensive signings and the cupboard is bare. They could have signed Conklin and Schobert for less than they spent on Reader and Waynes and have a better team

Count me as shocked and impressed that the Bengals actually made quite a splash early in free agency.  But...but...but...I can't argue with the above either.  Maybe they really tried to get those guys or similar and the players just wanted something/somewhere else?  We'll probably never know.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Brady to the Bucs, Andy to New England for a 3rd or better.  NE will probably draft Jordan Love as well.   This would be a fun year if we don't all die of the virus first.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tom-brady-reportedly-has-agreement-to-join-tampa-bay-buccaneers-230459347.html

Good call.  Brady to the Bucks.

Andy and a third for their first?

18 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Count me as shocked and impressed that the Bengals actually made quite a splash early in free agency.  But...but...but...I can't argue with the above either.  Maybe they really tried to get those guys or similar and the players just wanted something/somewhere else?  We'll probably never know.

Just take the opportunity as a rare chance to be happy about being a Bengal fan. We got a top DT and CB in the first 2 days of FA and there's still talent out there at Oline and LB. Personal favs are Andrus Peat and Alec Ogletree, but they are not the only options. 

37 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, but DT and CB weren't among their biggest needs. Fixing the O-line and finding some good LBs should have been higher priorities. But they'll now tell us they are done with expensive signings and the cupboard is bare. They could have signed Conklin and Schobert for less than they spent on Reader and Waynes and have a better team. 

Have you even watched this team? DT has been an issue for years, and we had guys like BW Webb starting for us at CB

36 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

No doubt this could be a factor. It was already announced in the media the Bengals were in deep for both Kwiatkoski and Schobert. Who knows who else they were after. It's easy to take the Bengals past inactivity and assume but, there's certainly the possibility they could have lost out on others we aren't aware of. 

45 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Considering their starting NT from last year is a free agent, and Waynes is at least a little better overall player than Dre, and DT and CB are more important than LB, I have to disagree.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

The DL and Secondary are where you build a defense. LB is like RB. If you have the proper guys in the front and the back you can get plug and fill LBs.  They desperately need a DT next to Geno.   Reader was a dream signing that I didn't think was possible for this team. They needed to upgrade from Dre.  WJ3, Waynes, Phillips is a pretty nice trio.  Webb is a decent 4th CB and hopefully they draft another CB in the 3rd-5th rounds. 

Pratt skyrocketed with improvement as he started playing more.  Vigil (is an FA) got a ton better once Preston Brown was gone. I'd like to bring Vigil back, sign a tier 3 LB and draft one in rounds 2-4.  Then you have your LBs to focus on this year and you hit FA for a LB next year if they don't take the next jump.

I don't know if you watched Schobert very much but he's not very athletic and pretty average all around at best. He's not what we need and everyone would be bitching about wasting money on another eh LB by week 8.

13 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

The DL and Secondary are where you build a defense. LB is like RB. If you have the proper guys in the front and the back you can get plug and fill LBs.  They desperately need a DT next to Geno.   Reader was a dream signing that I didn't think was possible for this team. They needed to upgrade from Dre.  WJ3, Waynes, Phillips is a pretty nice trio.  Webb is a decent 4th CB and hopefully they draft another CB in the 3rd-5th rounds. 

Pratt skyrocketed with improvement as he started playing more.  Vigil (is an FA) got a ton better once Preston Brown was gone. I'd like to bring Vigil back, sign a tier 3 LB and draft one in rounds 2-4.  Then you have your LBs to focus on this year and you hit FA for a LB next year if they don't take the next jump.

I don't know if you watched Schobert very much but he's not very athletic and pretty average all around at best. He's not what we need and everyone would be bitching about wasting money on another eh LB by week 8.

Excellent points..

I sway with Vigil..

Hes got average talent at best..

Good backup if they can land a coverage backer..

His agent may want more than what hes really worth..

The team definately has to make a huge decision in round two...

Archived