Bengals will be active in Free Agency

1 hour ago, bfine said:

yesterday Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller were going to breakdown the AFC North's off-season to date. They covered Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. Then with about 1 minute left in the program Mills said we got about 1 minute left to break down the Bengals. he then stopped and said they were only joking: they'd be leading off today's program with the Bengals.

Disrespectful: Not discussing Cincy on AFC North day

Respectful: leading off with them today

They are picking it up now and they are talking to DJ Reader. Reader is excited about playing besides Geno, who wouldn't really lol.

The breakdown on the team was they picked up some nice pieces but they still need additional pieces. Specifically noted LB, OL, pass rushers and WR (they said QB but that is covered by Burrow); Kirwan noted Micheal Jordan has promise but he played too much last year when he was not ready; Need more output from TE position - overall, a long way to go with a young coach, so a hard road; 6 wins would be considered a successful season; they liked what they have done in the DB area; 

Nothing we don't already know.

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Magically, the team has figured out, for the first time in the cap era, that you can actually get better players and still be at or under the cap. We may finally be over the 'sign our own' nonsense BUT this does mean they also have admit they have not drafted all that well for some time. The Burrow window will now open and they will have to use every resource available to them to build a good team - I wonder if they will go as far as other teams and do contract restructures to free up cap space. Maybe not now, but perhaps when we have to re-sign Burrow and it will be at $50M per year.

The Bengals will have plenty of cap room for several years to come.  We aren't going to be giving Ross and Price big extensions. We might give Jonah one in 2 or 3 years but we can defer that choice. Burrow won't even be eligible for 3 years. By then AJ, Geno, and Carlos will retired or close to it.

Hey there's a chance we could bring back Darqueze Dennard

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/26/darqueze-dennards-deal-with-jaguars-is-off/

Reports of a deal between the Jaguars and cornerback Darqueze Dennard surfaced more than a week ago, but the Jaguars didn’t make the deal official at any point and they won’t be making it official in the future.

The team put out word on Thursday that the deal will not be moving forward because they could not agree on final contract terms with Dennard. That will put Dennard back on the open market.

Maybe DD sees the "No Fly Zone" we're building here and wants a part

38 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Would you consuder cuttin Dre and his pay and bringing back Dennard ?

They play different positions, but I'd rather have another good slot corner than an extra, expensive outside guy who isn't a great tackler.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

They play different positions, but I'd rather have another good slot corner than an extra, expensive outside guy who isn't a great tackler.

Yep...thot crossed my mind that the owner and brass may want to pull the plug on this bad team..

Cut and tank for a franchise QB next yr and keep Garden Miniscue as a backup..

5 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Or theyre totally committed to giving Zach a team that might actually be good..

or theyre scared if they do they same ol and still lose,,,,,, it isnt the players,,,,,,  it isnt the coaches ..........its them 

you can only change everything so many times before there is no other reason than you are the problem, 

I said this in another thread but Zac said that guys would want to play here once they saw their vision.

Apparently he was spot on.

Maybe he deserves at least a modicum of credit for this new breath of fresh air? No? Maybe?

17 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I said this in another thread but Zac said that guys would want to play here once they saw their vision.

Maybe he deserves at least a modicum of credit for this new breath of fresh air? No? Maybe?

I'm on board.  Vince Lombardi couldn't have won with what they put on the field last year.

Most of us took the mentality of "believe it when I see it" for this free agency period and it's played out better than most expected.  They've filled a number of holes and surprised fans and critics with their spending.  In fairness, they had more money to spend after getting out of a few bad deals (Glenn, Miller, Webb) with a couple more likely to go ( Dalton, Dre).  Clearly, the focus has been on defense and the draft is set up to add pieces to build around Burrow.  Still very much a work in progress, but they are trying to improve the roster and the arrow is pointed up.

All of this is a good sign to me.  I'm not sure all of these FAs are going to be world beaters, but you want guys on the team that want to be there.  Guys who buy in.  I do think that many of the holdovers from the Lewis era have a shitty attitude.   Maybe for good reason.  Don't care.  Get them out.  You need talent, but you need buy in more.

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

Yes, but he still needs to execute on the vision. And as surprising as this FA period has been for us, it cant be a one time event

6 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Yes, but he still needs to execute on the vision. And as surprising as this FA period has been for us, it cant be a one time event

Really? They're making good moves to fix shit. Can't you fucking enjoy it?

12 hours ago, spicoli said:

Is Zac the catalyst behind all the change, or is he just the first big part of it ?

Perhaps their reticence to do too much in FA in the marvin years was...marvin. He was always into “his guys” - and preferred what he knew. So, yeah, this kind of aggression now that ZT has had a chance to fully assess the roster he inherited makes me think a lot of this is ZT.

43 minutes ago, membengal said:

Perhaps their reticence to do too much in FA in the marvin years was...marvin. He was always into “his guys” - and preferred what he knew. So, yeah, this kind of aggression now that ZT has had a chance to fully assess the roster he inherited makes me think a lot of this is ZT.

I mean, aside from a few potential external influences, there’s only one different denominator in the equation: a new coaching staff.

Perhaps it’s coinciding with Mike Brown scooting his skinflint ways back as he advances in age. Perhaps it is influence from the baseball franchise next door. But, I think you’re onto something here: ML probably worked exactly as you suggest, and he may have been convinced and told early on in his tenure that winning football could, in fact, be accomplished without ever relying upon free agency. Here’s the deal, they proved that theory out, to an extent. There were some good, winning years during those 17 seasons...all with minimal activity in free agency. Early on they really did identify guys with tread left on them, but who weren’t highly sought after. The were able to get them motivated and performing again...but, that flame flickered awhile ago.

Whatever is happening, and however it translates to the field, I’m just excited about this franchise again. Finally.

34 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

some people can't enjoy anything 

only bitching and moaning 

I'm happy they have made the moves.  I hope it works. 

If they suck balls again ZT gets zero credit.  There is more than one way to skin a cat and you don't have to go crazy in free agency to win.  That said, the Bengals probably needed a influx of new people with a better attitude.  I am hopeful.

So did Zac come into the front office basically saying he wants to tank 2019 to get Burrow while evaluating who he wants to stay on our squad? Just what I'm seeing this offseason is so fucking un-Bengal-like, loving this tooo much!!! 

Just now, kriZENry said:

So did Zac come into the front office basically saying he wants to tank 2019 to get Burrow while evaluating who he wants to stay on our squad? Just what I'm seeing this offseason is so fucking un-Bengal-like, loving this tooo much!!! 

At the beginning of the 2019 college football season no one knew Burrow was going to be that good, so no, he didn't.

23 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

It is a positive step for sure. Actual, real progress.  But you have to be realistic, this team was on the 12 step program. 

I don't think anybody is being unrealistic. Nobody is talking Super Bowl. But there is buzz and hope for a change in FA. Of course, the coaches have to execute and make all of this work, but the season is eons away. And yes, of course they have more work to do, Captain Obvious. 

Archived