Bengals will be active in Free Agency

8 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

They can by getting Trent Williams.

How'd you like that oline then with his addition?

Im salivating at the idea but in my heart I think he may go to the Vikings or posdibly Browns..

I seriously doubt that happens, he plays LT and the coaches have given that job to Jonah. 

A proven vet to be backup Jonah is a good idea but Williams isn't that guy.

7 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

He started 7 games and 46 total tackles last season, if he's a starter he isn't very productive.

Baltimore signed him to be a backup.  Then when the Clowns ran all over them they put him in the starting lineup.  Their run defense was great, and they didn't lose another game until the playoffs.  

We signed him to be our base D starter.  Depending on what happens in the draft he may not play on obvious pass downs.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Baltimore signed him to be a backup.  Then when the Clowns ran all over them they put him in the starting lineup.  Their run defense was great, and they didn't lose another game until the playoffs.  

We signed him to be our base D starter.  Depending on what happens in the draft he may not play on obvious pass downs.

This . Maybe pattern should look a little deeper. They actually signed him mid season and he stepped in and fixed their LB problem. I live in baltimore and ravens fans are pissed he isn’t back with them.

“For those who turn to @PFF for guidance. They were big Josh Bynes fans. 

Graded him between 70-80 each of the last three years with Arizona and Baltimore. 

For reference, highest graded LB with at least 100 snaps for #Bengals last year was Nick Vigil at 54.4.”

—Paul Dehner Jr

Forget any of these stat sites, did nobody watch the games we played against the Ravens last year?  Bynes made very noticeable plays, and when the announcers said he signed off the street, I was like... we have guys like Vigil starting and the Ravens get a guy that is twice the player off the street?  I think I may have even said as much in the game thread.  I get it, some people think if we sign anything less than a pro bowler we're idiots, but that's not how it works.  You get reliable *football* players that fit your game plan, and go from there.

EDIT:  Hahaaaa indeed I did make such a comment in the gameday thread:

14 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I seriously doubt that happens, he plays LT and the coaches have given that job to Jonah. 

They shouldn't be "giving" jobs to anyone. These guys need to earn that spot not only in camp but every week. If they want to establish a winning culture that's another fundamental change that has to happen.

Williams couldn't make it through two practice sessions without aggravating an old injury that effectively put him on IR. If they're expecting him to protect the blindside of their new franchise QB they're idiots. It doesn't matter where Jonah was drafted or how much money he's owed. All that matters is if he can play and so far the answer is "no". If that changes, great, but they need to start planning around how things are instead of how they hope things might be. 

15 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

A proven vet to be backup Jonah is a good idea but Williams isn't that guy.

If we acquire Trent Williams, he won't be Jonah's backup. He'll start at LT and Jonah at RT. Hart would then be surplus to requirements. 

14 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

They shouldn't be "giving" jobs to anyone. These guys need to earn that spot not only in camp but every week. If they want to establish a winning culture that's another fundamental change that has to happen.

Williams couldn't make it through two practice sessions without aggravating an old injury that effectively put him on IR. If they're expecting him to protect the blindside of their new franchise QB they're idiots. It doesn't matter where Jonah was drafted or how much money he's owed. All that matters is if he can play and so far the answer is "no". If that changes, great, but they need to start planning around how things are instead of how they hope things might be. 

I agree, a meritocracy is the best way to build a winning culture. However, the Bengals drafted Williams in the first round and recently cut the only player with any experience playing his position, it's his job.

Ideally they will bring in a vet to back him up and provide some competition.

6 hours ago, membengal said:

This . Maybe pattern should look a little deeper. They actually signed him mid season and he stepped in and fixed their LB problem. I live in baltimore and ravens fans are pissed he isn’t back with them.

I hope he's successful here, however with how bad our LB's have been I think it's going to take more than Bynes and some rookies to fix it. 

Bynes has been a backup for the majority of his career, relying on a player that has started less than 50% of the games he's in which he has played doesn't seem like the best possible solution. 

Bynes could be a part of the solution, but I believe this team needs to more proven talent besides Bynes.

13 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I hope he's successful here, however with how bad our LB's have been I think it's going to take more than Bynes and some rookies to fix it. 

Bynes has been a backup for the majority of his career, relying on a player that has started less than 50% of the games he's in which he has played doesn't seem like the best possible solution. 

Bynes could be a part of the solution, but I believe this team needs to more proven talent besides Bynes.

don't disagree at all, but given how hard it's been for us to put together a decent LB core, I'll takes Bynes, Pratt, and hopefully a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

That should be a big step in the right direction.

49 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I agree, a meritocracy is the best way to build a winning culture. However, the Bengals drafted Williams in the first round and recently cut the only player with any experience playing his position, it's his job.

Ideally they will bring in a vet to back him up and provide some competition.

Yeah I think they will once they see how they draft shakes out.  I think they got rid of Glenn with that in mind.

Archived