Bengals will be active in Free Agency

I'm glad the team has been active. But our biggest needs from last year are fixing the O-line and our complete lack of linebackers. We've barely touched those areas, signing second tier players in Bynes and XSF. Jonah Williams will be almost a rookie in 2020 and we don't have a good starting RG, RT, or TE. LG is also a question mark. 

2 hours ago, kriZENry said:

So did Zac come into the front office basically saying he wants to tank 2019 to get Burrow while evaluating who he wants to stay on our squad? Just what I'm seeing this offseason is so fucking un-Bengal-like, loving this tooo much!!! 

IF he did, which I doubt, at the time it would have been for Tua. 

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

I don't think anybody is being unrealistic. Nobody is talking Super Bowl. But there is buzz and hope for a change in FA. Of course, the coaches have to execute and make all of this work, but the season is eons away. And yes, of course they have more work to do, Captain Obvious. 

Well the moves this team has needed to make have been obvious for 30 years.

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Well the moves this team has needed to make have been obvious for 30 years.

Good grief. A little credit? Or just be mad it took so long instead of being happy it happened. I'm done.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Good grief. A little credit? Or just be mad it took so long instead of being happy it happened. I'm done.

You are a finicky little fuck aren't you - I GAVE the team credit for moving forward, finally. But this is Mike Brown - there is no evidence he will move any further and he could simply move back again next year. So you can be all giddy if you want, i will save the Kool-Aid for a time when i see more progress. 

It may not be anything, but I was listening to a Dayton radio station tonight and the host (not sure who it is) said we made a phone call to the redskins about Trent Williams. He also said there was talk about Jason Peters.

Again - I haven't heard that anywhere else but it sure is fun to think about.

14 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

You are a finicky little fuck aren't you - I GAVE the team credit for moving forward, finally. But this is Mike Brown - there is no evidence he will move any further and he could simply move back again next year. So you can be all giddy if you want, i will save the Kool-Aid for a time when i see more progress. 

Again, who is drinking any kool-aid? Who thinks they are ready for the Super Bowl? Team Eeyore is back.

I will bet that NO ONE in this fan base would have bet on them spending $135 million in contracts to eight players in FA. On that alone we are in completely new territory here and some of the usual concerns are rightly called into question.

3 hours ago, Hooky said:

Again, who is drinking any kool-aid? Who thinks they are ready for the Super Bowl? Team Eeyore is back.

It was a 2 win team last year and winning FA doesn’t always pan out, just ask the Browns.  We will have a rookie QB with a rookie LT as well.  

Also, Taylor and his staff didn’t show me anything last year but to be honest it wasn’t a good team.   McVay’s offense has seemed to be figured out as well so how Taylor adjusts is to be seen. 

I am certainly happy with the moves and I think the team is going to be better than 2 wins but how much better is anyone’s guess. Playoff wins are all that matter to me.  Haven’t seen the Bengals win a playoff game since Jan 1982. 

44 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It was a 2 win team last year and winning FA doesn’t always pan out, just ask the Browns.  We will have a rookie QB with a rookie LT as well.  

Also, Taylor and his staff didn’t show me anything last year but to be honest it wasn’t a good team.   McVay’s offense has seemed to be figured out as well so how Taylor adjusts is to be seen. 

I am certainly happy with the moves and I think the team is going to be better than 2 wins but how much better is anyone’s guess. Playoff wins are all that matter to me.  Haven’t seen the Bengals win a playoff game since Jan 1982. 

100%

22 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'm glad the team has been active. But our biggest needs from last year are fixing the O-line and our complete lack of linebackers. We've barely touched those areas, signing second tier players in Bynes and XSF. Jonah Williams will be almost a rookie in 2020 and we don't have a good starting RG, RT, or TE. LG is also a question mark. 

I agree, signing CB's and one backup OG isn't going to help protect Burrow. 

I'm glad the Bengals were able to get some good players in FA, but they haven't addressed the weakest areas of the roster, signing two backups in Bynes and XSF isn't a viable solution.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

In the long-term, I agree.  For next season if the Bengals are 8-8 or better I will be ecstatic.  Six or seven wins would be a significant improvement.  I want to see them get better and build themselves into a perennial contender.   Sure, teams have made huge turnarounds in record recently, but last season's Bengals were so bad and short on talent in key areas I can't have the expectations of playoffs next year.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

It wasn't for lack of trying, at least at LB.

Not sure about that. Kwiatkoski signed with the Raiders for 7 mil. We could have gone to 8 mil pretty easily. Pierre-Louis signed with the Redskins for around 3 mil. We could have gone to 4. 

Dropping out of the bidding for Schobert is ok, but I wouldn't say they were trying if they didn't move on to other players. 

26 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Not sure about that. Kwiatkoski signed with the Raiders for 7 mil. We could have gone to 8 mil pretty easily. Pierre-Louis signed with the Redskins for around 3 mil. We could have gone to 4. 

Dropping out of the bidding for Schobert is ok, but I wouldn't say they were trying if they didn't move on to other players. 

It's not always just about money.  For some people, it's believing in the process, not watching the check book.

6 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I agree, signing CB's and one backup OG isn't going to help protect Burrow. 

I'm glad the Bengals were able to get some good players in FA, but they haven't addressed the weakest areas of the roster, signing two backups in Bynes and XSF isn't a viable solution.

They can by getting Trent Williams.

How'd you like that oline then with his addition?

Im salivating at the idea but in my heart I think he may go to the Vikings or posdibly Browns..

6 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

In the long-term, I agree.  For next season if the Bengals are 8-8 or better I will be ecstatic.  Six or seven wins would be a significant improvement.  I want to see them get better and build themselves into a perennial contender.   Sure, teams have made huge turnarounds in record recently, but last season's Bengals were so bad and short on talent in key areas I can't have the expectations of playoffs next year.

If they win 7 or 8 games they are just another bunch of under achievers.   I played this game when Blake was the QB and while the Quitter was here.  I am tired of the excuses, win or shut the fuck up.  I dont expect anything this year, nothing new. 

Archived