My Offseason plan vs my expectations

My Offseason plan vs my expectations

My overall thoughts:

1.      We don’t sign enough free agents. This one is obvious

2.      We have a ton of talent and can be in the playoffs next year

3.      One of our biggest errors is not signing enough people. Yes we need to sign top end people but sports is all about planned happenstance. And we don’t build that way. We draft a spot and then assume nothing will go wrong. When every year something goes wrong.

4.      My plan is first, expectations second

QB

QB Burrow Rd 1 Simien Finley 23 Dolegala 22

QB Burrow Rd 1 Finley 23 Dolegala 22 UDFA

Burrow is obviously the pick. Beyond that I expect that the team won’t sign a veteran QB and I think that will be a mistake. Just like it was a mistake to not hire veterans to help run the offense and defense on the coaching staff. I think they will roll with Finley, Dolegola and UDFA guy (I would love for that guy to be Ta’Amu from Ole Miss and now in the XFL. Even looking at Phillip Walker and Josh Johnson from XFL would make sense as well).

As far as veterans go, we have ties to both Sean Mannion and Trevor Siemian. Mannion played for Taylor in St. Louis and was last the backup in Minnesota. Siemian played for the Jets last year before a bad ankle injury took him out. He broke into the league with Callahan in Denver and has 25 career starts. There have been some that argued you can spend the money more wisely in other areas. Siemian played on a 2 million dollar contract last year.

RB

RB Mixon 21 Bernard 22 Williams 23 Anderson 23 Abdullah/Washington UDFA

RB Mixon 21 Bernard 22 Williams 23 Anderson 23 UDFA UDFA

We seem pretty set in talent overall. I expect them to add 2 UDFA’s to the mix. I personally would add a veteran because I think it makes sense to do that at every position. I would do a late addition of whoever we have ties to that might not land anywhere over the first few weeks. Some interesting names that have ties to our coaches DeAndre Washington (Singleton), Theo Riddick (Callahan) and Amir Abdullah (Callahan). Bilal Powell is an interesting guy as well with ties to Louisville.

I expect that Mixon is given an extension this Summer and I welcome it. We have the money to try to keep our playmakers, he seems to be a leader he is still young without lots of carries and I think a stud RB helps a rookie QB. I know it’s not wise to pay young RBs but I think we are in a particularly good spot to be able to do so.

WR

WR Green 20 Tate 21 Rd 4 Irwin 21 UDFA
WR Ross 22 Erickson 21 Thomas Bohringer  
WR Boyd 24 Morgan 22 Willis 20 Lodge  

WR Green 20 Tate 21 Morgan 22 Bohringer UDFA
WR Ross 22 Rd 2 Willis 20 Lodge  
WR Boyd 24 Erickson 21 Irwin 21 UDFA  

This is another spot where I think we will differ. I keep hearing that we are going to draft a WR within the first few rounds because it’s a deep WR draft. I don’t agree with that logic. I don’t think we should take a WR until OL and LB have been addressed. Essentially, not until the 4th round at the earliest unless we can add some picks. It’s a deep draft at WR and I think that will mean a 4th rounder there will typically be a 2nd rounder.

I think they will tag AJ Green but not get him long term. I’d like to see him signed to a 3 year deal. Similar to the Mixon contract I get the logic behind not signing him long term but I still do it. I think a happy AJ Green and Joe Mixon lead to a successful Joe Burrow.

Additionally I would add Mike Thomas from the Rams at WR. He played for Taylor in LA and still has some upside.

TE

TE Uzomah 22 Sample 23 Huerman/Shaheen Carter 20 Schrek 21 Franks 20

TE Uzomah 22 Sample 23 Carter 20 Schrek 21 Franks 20 UDFA

Even though it would be nice for Burrow to have Eifert I think we have seen the last of him. He’s winding down a career and TE’s are in high demand. I suspect the team relies on Uzomah and Sample. Carter will be the ST’s guy and they give Franks and Scherk a run at the roster. I would add a veteran here and I don’t think the list of guys who could be a solid third tight end while coming relatively cheap will be short. Adam Shaheen might be available, possibly even in a trade with the Bears for Dalton, and he has Ohio Ties. Jeff Heuerman is expected to be released from the Broncos and he went to OSU. Logan Thomas is a free agent who played QB for Taylor in Miami. Clive Walford played for Al Golden in Miami.

OL

LT Williams 24 Johnson 22 Dugas 22
LG Jordan 23 Redmond 20 UDFA
C Hopkins 23 Price 23 Rd 3
RG Schoffield Miller 22 Good
RT Hart 22 Prince 23 UDFA

LT Williams 24 Johnson 22 Dugas 22
LG Jordan 23 Redmond 20 UDFA
C Hopkins 23 Price 23 Rd 5
RG Schoffield Miller 22 UDFA
RT Hart 22 Prince 23 UDFA

I am afraid that they will rest on what they have here and not invest enough. I think they think Hart and Jordan are capable starters when they are at best unknowns. I do think they will sign a starter but I think they will value versatility over quality. While I would love Graham Glasgow, I think they will settle for a guy like Ben Garland (Niners starting C at the end of the year who has played G and who won’t have a starting job when Richburg returns/played under Callahan with Broncos) , Michael Schofield (Chargers has played RG and RT and played under Callahan with Broncos, 66 career starts) or Denzelle Good (G/T for the Raiders and Colts who played under Callahan and Singleton with the Raiders and Pitcher with the Colts). If they could aggressively target this group and get 2 of the 3 I would be happy. For my purposes I will focus on the right side. Sign Schoffield as the starter at RG (48 starts) who could start at RT (18 starts) and sign Denzelle Good for depth at both positions as well.

I would also be happy if they would draft someone in Rd 2 or 3.  I expect that they will draft one later and draft a WR early.

STs

K Bullock 21 Santos
P Huber 21  
LS Harris 21 Godsil

K Bullock 21 UDFA
P Huber 21  
LS Harris 21 Godsil

Overall I would bet this position group stays similar. I don’t think they add someone to challenge Bullock but I think they should. I have always liked Cairo Santos and think he has a stronger leg than Bullock. Worth a competition in camp.

DL

LE Dunlap 22 Rd 5 Akinmoladun 20 UDFA
LT Atkins 23 Glasgow 21 Scott 20  
RT Wolfe Tupou 20 Wren 23 UDFA
RE Hubbard 22 Lawson 21 Brown 21  

LE Dunlap 22 Nassib Akinmoladun 20  
LT Atkins 23 Glasgow 21 Scott 20 UDFA
RT Wolfe Tupou 20 Wren 23  
RE Hubbard 22 Lawson 21 Brown 21  

I think we are pretty close on what happens on the DL. However I think they are likely to see DE as more of a need than what I do. There have already been rumors that they will be going after Dante Fowler an attempt I assume they won’t be successful at. I would add a DE through the draft but I see them nabbing Carl Nassib who played for coach Duffner in Tampa.

LB

SLB Kwiatkoski Chickilio Sheldon 20
MLB Pratt 23 Perryman/Whitehead UDFA
WLB Rd 2 Evans 21 UDFA

SLB Kwiatkoski Rd 6 Sheldon 20
MLB Pratt 23 Perryman/Whitehead UDFA
WLB Rd 3 Evans 21 UDFA

I think we are close on this one too. I expect that they will target Nick Kwiatkoski as a rising 3 down backer that won’t cost all that much. Then I expect they sign one of two guys who played for Golden at University of Miami and Detroit who are likely cap cuts, Denzel Perryman and Tahir Whitehead. I wouldn’t stop there. Anthony Chickilo also played for Golden in Miami and would be an outside backer for a team that doesn’t have many. I hope they still take a backer early but I somewhat doubt they will. *Another free agent I really like is Will Compton. He shows up every where he goes and can play special teams.

DB

S Williams 21 Wilson 20 Thomas UDFA
S Bates 22 Fejedelem 20 Henderson 20  
CB Jackson 21 Webb 22 Mabin 20 UDFA
CB Phillips 22 Brown 21 McRae 20 UDFA
CB Dennard 20 Rose McTyer 20  

S Williams 21 Wilson 20 Thomas UDFA
S Bates 22 Fejedelem 20 Henderson 20  
CB Jackson 21 Webb 22 Mabin 20 UDFA
CB Phillips 22 Brown 21 McRae 20 UDFA
CB Poole Rose McTyer 20  

I think our offseasons are pretty similar. I would love to see them re-sign Dennard but I don’t think it’s happening. I would bet they go after Poole then. I hope they don’t go after Logan Ryan because I don’t think he is good but that’s an option too. Kirkpatrick is likely gone no matter what. I think they will also add Micheal Thomas from the Giants. He is a veteran from Anarumo’s teams in both New York and Miami.

46 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Schofield can't play RT. He's as bad as Hart there. I haven't paid much attention to him at guard, but he's not a quality lineman. Glasgow is much better. 

I doubt we pay up for Glasgow but will love it. They value versatility over quality I think. 

Archived