2020 FA Signings

DJ Reader -- DT

Trae Waynes -- CB

Reader is a solid signing.  Big man who is great vs. the run.  If we want to go to more of a 3-4 look he can help with that.  In a 4-3 next to Geno that should be a nice pairing.  Versus the run, Reader is great...almost impossible to move.  He's not much of a pass rusher, but he's not a liability like most NTs.  He's got some quickness there, but he won't dominate rushing the passer and shouldn't be expected to.  He's a 2-down player that can play 3.  Really good signing for a good DT/NT.

Trae Wayes is essentially Dre K. without all of the penalties.  He's faster than Dre, but he's stiff and doesn't seem to track the ball well.  He's a good tackler and plays the run well so maybe we won't get blasted on the outside as much.  He's basically a replacement for Dre that offers a little more long speed and physicality. 

The thing I like about both: they happened early, decisively, and we spent some serious cash. And, it’s debatable if we spent way too much for these guys, given they are young and may still have unexplored ceiling, I find the money to likely be well spent.

At some point with this franchise the script had to flip...maybe it’s now.

15 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

As for Waynes, just by your own assessment. He has similar ball skills against the pass, but is better at everything else. I like it.

His is particularly useful at being able to play on game day unlike Dennard.

15 minutes ago, SF2 said:

His is particularly useful at being able to play on game day unlike Dennard.

yep

and hell, as long as he doesn't jump up and down celebrating after a QB overthrows a wide open receiver I will be happy.

2 hours ago, fluhartz said:

As for Waynes, just by your own assessment. He has similar ball skills against the pass, but is better at everything else. I like it.

Agreed.  I think he’s an improvement based on what I’ve read.  I didn’t watch many Vikings games admittedly, so I’m going off of what I’m reading in other places.  

I'll bet they release Dre soon.  Webb is already cut and Dennard went to Jacksonville.

We've signed Waynes and will be giving Phillips more playing time. We haven't used a high pick on a CB in a few years so it's time for that too. I do expect them to extend WJ3. 

Reader is a good player and a very good run stopper. But no 2 down player is worth 13 mil. Danny Shelton just signed with the Lions for 4 mil per year. Shelton was the NT on the #1 defense in the league. 

3 hours ago, GoBengals said:

i could see dre sticking around through the draft, if they draft someone, he can go, if not, he can stay. corner is a position the bengals tend to stay heavy on, and with good reason given the injury history there.

I think so, too, rather unfortunately.  Too valuable to just cut (so they will because that's what Bengals do).

Maybe try to restructure his contract and throw in a clause that costs him money every time he shows his ass

on the field.  Or off.  He could end up paying us.

Dre should have some trade value. He's expensive but there are teams that are thin at CB. He's not well suited to deal with shifty guys like Kupp, Edelman, or Coutee. But he does well vs the bigger, more physical WRs. He'd be a good fit for the Panthers who play 6 games a year vs Jones, Evans, and Thomas. Or the Vikings who face Adams, Robinson, and Golladay.

I'd think a swap of Dre for Kyle Rudolph would make sense for both teams. 

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

· 49m

The #Jaguars and former #Bengals first-round TE Tyler Eifert are working diligently towards closing a deal, source said. If completed, it would be another free agent move in Jax to fill a spot that plagued them last year -- and one that coach Doug Marrone really wanted.

For those who turn to @PFF for guidance. They were big Josh Bynes fans. 

Graded him between 70-80 each of the last three years with Arizona and Baltimore. 

For reference, highest graded LB with at least 100 snaps for #Bengals last year was Nick Vigil at 54.4. —Paul Dehner Jr

Just now, spicoli said:

For those who turn to @PFF for guidance. They were big Josh Bynes fans. 

Graded him between 70-80 each of the last three years with Arizona and Baltimore. 

For reference, highest graded LB with at least 100 snaps for #Bengals last year was Nick Vigil at 54.4. —Paul Dehner Jr

Its a huge upgrade over Vigil..

He also had a 81 rating on run defense .

Vigil missed 16 tackles last year..

He ll clear that up...

Good move for Bengals ..

7 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Nick Vigil was PFF's 117th-ranked LB last year.

Josh Bynes tied for 18th 

8 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Nick Vigil was PFF's 117th-ranked LB last year.

Josh Bynes tied for 18th 

Think of it this way.

If you took all 32 teams top three backers

or 96 backers tital he still isnt close to making a team..

Love to target him if we played the Chargers...

Archived