Linebacker draft

After seemingly missing out on the starting linebacker options through free agency it seems we are set to take one pretty high in the draft. 

This is a deep class with starter quality guys throughout.

Round 2 options:

Patrick Queen, LSU (6' 229) - Undersized but great range and coverage ability. Only started 1 year.

Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma (6'2 241) - Tremendous athlete with prototype size. Has a tendency to play out of control.

Zach Baun, Wisconsin (6'2 238) - Rushed the QB at a high level in college but is on the smaller side to do so exclusively in the NFL. Showed coverage ability at Senior Bowl.

Kyle Dugger, Lenoir-Rhyne (6'1 217) - Small school Isaiah Simmons. Listed as a safety but can play everywhere. Freak athlete and showed out at Senior Bowl with Bengals coaches.

Round 3:

Akeem Davis-Gaither, Appalachian St (6'1 224) - Built like a big safety. Excels in coverage. Coached by Bengals at Senior Bowl and excelled.

Troy Dye, Oregon (6'3 230) - Long and lanky guy. Really good in coverage and a liability in run game.

Josh Uche, Michigan (6'1 245) - Pass rusher in college but too small to do that in NFL. Great athlete. Showed he was capable of being traditional off ball guy at Senior Bowl.

Willie Gay Jr, Mississippi St - Best athlete on the list. Locks down tight ends and backs in coverage. Has a lot of red flags off the field.

Round 4:

Malik Harrison, Ohio St (6'3 247) - Big old school thumper. Tested out of this world at the combine. Wasn't great in coverage. JAG at the Senior Bowl.

Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech (6' 240) - Run stopper with crazy straight line speed. Struggles laterally and is a liability in coverage.

Davion Taylor, Colorado (6' 228) - Undersized and inexperienced. Insane athlete. Specialized in coverage.

Logan Wilson, Wyoming (6'2 241) - Highly productive team captain. Tested well at combine. Good in coverage. Can be a liability in run game.

Kyle Dugger is the one who intrigues the hell out of me.

Would like to see him as a Bengal but think 33 may be too much of a risk 

esp with their track record of second round picks recently.

Packages with him, Hubbard and Lawson could be interesting.

Malik Harrison at round 3 or 4 (doubt if he drops) would be a good addition, too.

I think we have a real chance to accrue extra picks in rounds two and three,and especially at the top of round two.Some team might fall in love with a player at 33 and the Bengals could pick up an extra 3rd round pick,maybe even more by moving down.

8 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

After seemingly missing out on the starting linebacker options through free agency it seems we are set to take one pretty high in the draft. 

This is a deep class with starter quality guys throughout.

Round 2 options:

Patrick Queen, LSU (6' 229) - Undersized but great range and coverage ability. Only started 1 year.

Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma (6'2 241) - Tremendous athlete with prototype size. Has a tendency to play out of control.

Zach Baun, Wisconsin (6'2 238) - Rushed the QB at a high level in college but is on the smaller side to do so exclusively in the NFL. Showed coverage ability at Senior Bowl.

Kyle Dugger, Lenoir-Rhyne (6'1 217) - Small school Isaiah Simmons. Listed as a safety but can play everywhere. Freak athlete and showed out at Senior Bowl with Bengals coaches.

Round 3:

Akeem Davis-Gaither, Appalachian St (6'1 224) - Built like a big safety. Excels in coverage. Coached by Bengals at Senior Bowl and excelled.

Troy Dye, Oregon (6'3 230) - Long and lanky guy. Really good in coverage and a liability in run game.

Josh Uche, Michigan (6'1 245) - Pass rusher in college but too small to do that in NFL. Great athlete. Showed he was capable of being traditional off ball guy at Senior Bowl.

Willie Gay Jr, Mississippi St - Best athlete on the list. Locks down tight ends and backs in coverage. Has a lot of red flags off the field.

Round 4:

Malik Harrison, Ohio St (6'3 247) - Big old school thumper. Tested out of this world at the combine. Wasn't great in coverage. JAG at the Senior Bowl.

Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech (6' 240) - Run stopper with crazy straight line speed. Struggles laterally and is a liability in coverage.

Davion Taylor, Colorado (6' 228) - Undersized and inexperienced. Insane athlete. Specialized in coverage.

Logan Wilson, Wyoming (6'2 241) - Highly productive team captain. Tested well at combine. Good in coverage. Can be a liability in run game.

You laid it out there..

Makes it easier to see who's who ...

Good job!

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I hope Queen or Murray makes it to 33, but I doubt it.  I really doubt Malik makes it to 107.  Right now I want Malik at 65 and Davis-Gaither or Gay Jr at 107.  

I don't know a thing about either of these guys but I want to endorse the strategy of drafting more than one player at a position of desperate need so we're not once again ass-out if they don't immediately deliver.  It's an extremely violent, full-contact sport.  Players will get hurt. Even if they don't. lots of draftees never make the adjustment to the pro game despite having all the physical talent in the world.

Plan accordingly.  

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I don't know a thing about either of these guys but I want to endorse the strategy of drafting more than one player at a position of desperate need so we're not once again ass-out if they don't immediately deliver.  It's an extremely violent, full-contact sport.  Players will get hurt. Even if they don't. lots of draftees never make the adjustment to the pro game despite having all the physical talent in the world.

Plan accordingly.  

Not to mention I think we have a need for 2 more LBs. 

2 minutes ago, bfine said:

I just don't get the love for Queen. He wasn't even starting until LSU suspended Divinity. 

He's young and played his best football at the end of the year in the biggest games. Good athlete. People are going all in on his upside.

49 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

He's young and played his best football at the end of the year in the biggest games. Good athlete. People are going all in on his upside.

Think I'd prefer Baun or Murray if available. Gay is my sleeper

William (Willie) Gay Jr. Is very good..

4.42 speed (faster than most of our receivers)

39.5 verticle! He can get up..

Very good coverage guy...

Very excitable player that plays with intensity...

Teammates love his enthusiasm and 

love playing with him..

I dont think those off field issues are gonna stop some team from picking this guy sooner than mock drafts would think..

But what round? 

Would the Bengals be reaching in round 2?  3?

33 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

love playing with him..

I dont think those off field issues are gonna stop some team from picking this guy sooner than mock drafts would think..

But what round? 

The Bengals have had their fair share of redeemables over the years I pass on Gay.

9 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

The Bengals have had their fair share of redeemables over the years I pass on Gay.

He along with 10 others players were suspeneedef for academic violations..

He had an altercation with his QB and hit him. Not good i admit but to hold that over him  to think hes not a good guy 

Is absurd..

49 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

love playing with him..

But what round? 

I'd love to snag him with our 3rd rounder, but I think someone takes a chance in the 2nd. If there's one position you want your player a little unhinged it's LB. 

Akili.....great stuff as always! I always look for your draft analysis. 👍

What's the scoop on Vigil? Is he a free agent - and if so, how in the hell did I miss that?

Not that he's a worldbeater or anything close but he's certainly serviceable. Put 2 good LB's around him and you're probably ok.

20 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

Akili.....great stuff as always! I always look for your draft analysis. 👍

What's the scoop on Vigil? Is he a free agent - and if so, how in the hell did I miss that?

Not that he's a worldbeater or anything close but he's certainly serviceable. Put 2 good LB's around him and you're probably ok.

Still available in free agency I believe. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back on the cheap

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

He along with 10 others players were suspended for academic violations..

He had an altercation with his QB and hit him. Not good i admit but to hold that over him  to think hes not a good guy 

Is absurd..

More than that. The starting QB missed their bowl game after Gay hit him. 

22 minutes ago, bfine said:

Not sure what led to the fight with the QB, but I will say this:

If Gay did punch his QB and was not carried off the field on a stretcher then I want nothing to do with any MSU olineman

I read he's been killing the interview process. Owning his mistakes and saying he's learning from them. Who knows whether or not that's true once he's rich. We've heard that story 100 times.

Archived