Draft/OTA's/Training Camp/Season Covid-19

49 minutes ago, Griever said:

“Extremely small” chance that there will be no NFL season in 2020. Not really sure why they dont just say "extremely good chance there will be a NFL season" but ok.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/02/extremely-small-chance-that-there-will-be-no-nfl-season-in-2020/

I cant wait to see our schedule!!!

27 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Anyone for tennis??

2 guys 40' apart with a ball...

Or PGA golf: 7200 yards with 3 total people per pairing, plus 3 staff. PGA plans to have season begin in June, but (again) depends on the state/municipality mandates. 

NFL reveals scheduling contingencies for possible COVID-19 delays

"If the start of the season is pushed back, the games that would be impacted by that will just be pushed back to the weeks after Week 17. For example, if the first three weeks are delayed, the Bengals will begin the season with their Week 4 matchup with the Jacksonville Jaguars. The first three games they were originally scheduled to play will occur after the season was originally supposed to end."

"This would also impact when the playoffs and Super Bowl LV happen. The postseason is eligible to be pushed back multiple weeks, but what would be the cutoff point for when they’d just have to cancel the season altogether?

What’s notable here is that there’s no plan if the league has to pause operations during the season after it began under normal conditions. What if things are fine for five weeks and then a player gets infected? Would operations get suspended NBA-style and team-wide quarantines ensue?"

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/5/7/21251447/nfl-schedule-release-2020-covid-19-delays-sports-super-bowl-2021

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

NFL reveals scheduling contingencies for possible COVID-19 delays

"If the start of the season is pushed back, the games that would be impacted by that will just be pushed back to the weeks after Week 17. For example, if the first three weeks are delayed, the Bengals will begin the season with their Week 4 matchup with the Jacksonville Jaguars. The first three games they were originally scheduled to play will occur after the season was originally supposed to end."

"This would also impact when the playoffs and Super Bowl LV happen. The postseason is eligible to be pushed back multiple weeks, but what would be the cutoff point for when they’d just have to cancel the season altogether?

What’s notable here is that there’s no plan if the league has to pause operations during the season after it began under normal conditions. What if things are fine for five weeks and then a player gets infected? Would operations get suspended NBA-style and team-wide quarantines ensue?"

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/5/7/21251447/nfl-schedule-release-2020-covid-19-delays-sports-super-bowl-2021

Interesting.  I’m sure I saw on a bottom-of-the-screen scroll on ESPN, that both teams facing each other in every game of week 2 would have their byes on the same week.  That implied to me that if week 2 games needed to be rescheduled, they would happen during the teams’ bye week...assuming that any stoppage doesn’t last until after byes start.  A good idea, if you think about it.  This report seems to indicate that that is not in the plans.

On 5/2/2020 at 6:24 PM, claptonrocks said:

Anyone for tennis??

2 guys 40' apart with a ball...

Here in Louisville they took down all the tennis nets in our parks. I was thinking what you said.  

Cops beating people coast to coast for not social distancing. Universities requiring the wearing of masks to step on campus.  

We are going to have football?  To me it looks like sports are over.  Are they gon make um wear masks while playing ball?   

No sports in the new world order.  

2 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

Here in Louisville they took down all the tennis nets in our parks. I was thinking what you said.  

Cops beating people coast to coast for not social distancing. Universities requiring the wearing of masks to step on campus.  

We are going to have football?  To me it looks like sports are over.  Are they gon make um wear masks while playing ball?   

Times have changed..

There's not much order..

6 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

If there is a lot of money in it, yes.  College sports?  Likely won't return until 2021.  NFL?  They will find a way.  Weekly, or more often, testing.  Daily temperature checks.  Limited contact with outside world during the season.  They can do it.  They are doing it in the horse racing world.  It's not the same, but if the players want to play and want the money, they will do it.  Some players may opt out.  That's OK.  Some folks opt out of working right now.  Others will take their place. 

Nice, simple, answer. Wish it was that easy. 

The Bundesliga was set to go on May 15. Had 2 players on a lower-end side test positive, now entire team quarantined for 14 days. Resuming what was left of their season, behind closed doors and separated teams/staff from public, now delayed again. 

No amount of money is going to alter these scenarios—not for the NFL...not anyone. 

The Virtual World

The Bengals' virtual offseason continues on Monday. The coaching staff will be able to meet with both the veterans and the rookies on the same day for the first time. 

“We’re going to maximize all this time that they give us," Taylor said. "Monday we get a chance to get the whole group together and start to introduce these rookies. And again, the challenge that we’re trying to be creative in solving is if our rookies aren’t able to see our veterans until May 18 or June 1 or training camp, we gotta find a way to get our veteran leaders in front our rookies so the first time they see them isn’t months down the road. So that’s something we’ve really challenged our staff with and they’ve been creative with their responses.”

The Bengals have held virtual meetings with veteran players for the past two weeks. They also had a three day orientation with rookies from May 1-3. The coaching staff was able to talk with rookies one-on-one or in groups for up to five hours per day. 

It may be unique, but Taylor believes the meetings have been productive. 

“We got a bunch of really tech-savvy coaches that have been able to incorporate a lot of fun tools to help these guys learn. I think the feedback from the players has been outstanding," Taylor said. "It’s great for me because instead of physically having to walk into each meeting and open a door and kind of make a scene and walk in there. I’m able to just jump in and watch every meeting as they happen. I kind of just disappear and then I reappear in somebody else’s meeting. 

"I think it's been really efficient. It is unfortunate you don't get the physical reps on the field. That is something every team would like to have, but no other teams have it so we're just going to make the most of this virtual opportunity."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-aj-green-leader-virtual-meetings

22 hours ago, IsaacCurtis:TheReal#85 said:

I think best case scenario is games with no fans.

But even that will require huge ramp ups in testing & PPE availability. I do not think any sports league wants the PR hit of hoarding PPE/tests to make playing in a bubble safe while front line/essential workers are dying because they don't have any.

They would contract with a private lab.  Private labs are already offering tests to the public. 

The PPE issues for most medical folks has eased. 

5 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

They would contract with a private lab.  Private labs are already offering tests to the public. 

My allergies are worse than they have ever been in my life this year for some reason.

Last week I had several dry coughing spells overnight and felt feverish the next morning.

Called my doctor, he sent me to an emergency med/doc-in-a-box facility that worked with his medical conglomerate.

No temp but I got a swab up the nose, anyway.

A couple days later it came back negative.  Nice to know.

Cost me a $40 copay and worth it for the peace of mind.

I guess if you are unsure and want to be better safe than sorry

call your primary care doctor, complain and I would think you

would get a test.  Quick and painless.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/fauci-nfl-will-operate-or-not-on-viruss-schedule-132356005.html

Fauci does not sound optimistic.

Maybe cancel all of the non division  games and just play a home and away mini season with the other

teams in the division and a sudden death elimination between the division winners October thru January,

Super Bowl unchanged because that has been in place and a lot of money invested for a long time.

No preseason games between teams, no bye week.

Could be interesting and I know there are Bengal games against teams I know little about and

care less.  The Chargers, for example.

27 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

My allergies are worse than they have ever been in my life this year for some reason.

Last week I had several dry coughing spells overnight and felt feverish the next morning.

Called my doctor, he sent me to an emergency med/doc-in-a-box facility that worked with his medical conglomerate.

No temp but I got a swab up the nose, anyway.

A couple days later it came back negative.  Nice to know.

Cost me a $40 copay and worth it for the peace of mind.

I guess if you are unsure and want to be better safe than sorry

call your primary care doctor, complain and I would think you

would get a test.  Quick and painless.

Lab Corp is advertising an at home COVID test.  https://www.pixel.labcorp.com/at-home-test-kits/covid-19-test

An ad for this actually popped up as a browser ad recently.

I'm not really sure how testing resources are gathered by the government, but there seems to be plenty of private testing available.  I am pretty sure the NFL could even have their own private lab up and running by August.  The NFL TV contract is billions of dollars.  Money will be no object. 

As far as Fauci goes, I respect him a lot and his advice is crucial.  On the other hand his predictions haven't been so hot.  He's extremely conservative, as he should be, but reality is most often something else.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

1. It is all private labs. It has been the whole time. That is part of the proble. The feds did nada.

And you still have displacement, if they are testing X they are not testing Y.

2. PPE. True for medical folk. But for folks who work in meat processing plants, grocery stores, or drive the bus, not so much.

My cousin works at Wallmart in KY, and she says people SPIT on them, every day, when they try to enforce social distancing/mask wearing.

3. All this happy talk, re-open talk is going on now. You know the idiot factor will be high. People will crowd beaches & bars if allowed in some places. Some GOVs won't be strict enough (though Dewine & Beshar have both been pretty good in our corner).

A spike will happen long before September. Count on it. 

Archived