Draft/OTA's/Training Camp/Season Covid-19

1 hour ago, IsaacCurtis:TheReal#85 said:

1. It is all private labs. It has been the whole time. That is part of the proble. The feds did nada.

And you still have displacement, if they are testing X they are not testing Y.

2. PPE. True for medical folk. But for folks who work in meat processing plants, grocery stores, or drive the bus, not so much.

My cousin works at Wallmart in KY, and she says people SPIT on them, every day, when they try to enforce social distancing/mask wearing.

3. All this happy talk, re-open talk is going on now. You know the idiot factor will be high. People will crowd beaches & bars if allowed in some places. Some GOVs won't be strict enough (though Dewine & Beshar have both been pretty good in our corner).

A spike will happen long before September. Count on it. 

Not really sure what all that has to do with the price of tea in China.  Not here to discuss the problems, just what the NFL will do. 

If labs have the ability to sell test at home kits, I'm pretty sure the NFL could work something out.  Oaklawn Park did.  Gulfstream Park is doing it now.  Churchill Downs is implementing a plan as we speak.  NASCAR is getting ready to roll.  You think they don't have testing programs?

You can scream NO all you want, but it's already happening.  Is it a mistake?  Time will tell.

Interested to see what Churchill Downs is doing?  https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/so-glad-to-be-coming-home-first-horsemen-arrive-at-churchill-downs-monday/  A version of this worked at Oaklawn Park in Oklahoma and has been working at Gulfstream Park in South Florida.

MLB says they want to start July 4th.  https://apnews.com/6195fbe572aa83a0616053e9133a8551

If they are successful you can guarantee the NFL will be in business come August.  If they fail, well....maybe not.

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Lab Corp is advertising an at home COVID test.  https://www.pixel.labcorp.com/at-home-test-kits/covid-19-test

An ad for this actually popped up as a browser ad recently.

I'm not really sure how testing resources are gathered by the government, but there seems to be plenty of private testing available.  I am pretty sure the NFL could even have their own private lab up and running by August.  The NFL TV contract is billions of dollars.  Money will be no object. 

As far as Fauci goes, I respect him a lot and his advice is crucial.  On the other hand his predictions haven't been so hot.  He's extremely conservative, as he should be, but reality is most often something else.

Not sure about that at home COVID tests but I can tell you the doctor shoved the thing WAY up there.  A surprise and uncomfortable more than

painful but I could not have gotten that far up there by myself.  Not sure I would want someone sticking it up there who did not know what they

were doing.

My NFL COVID concern (one of several) is what happens when a player tests positive/comes down with it.  Or coach or trainer or water boy or ref or

stadium security guard, chef, clean up crew... etc.)  Wouldn't the whole team be quarantined for awhile?  Even if they test frequently it would just take

one player testing positive to scrub the whole team.   A 1-0 forfeit?  

Going to be interesting to see how this all shakes down.

5 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Not sure about that at home COVID tests but I can tell you the doctor shoved the thing WAY up there.  A surprise and uncomfortable more than

painful but I could not have gotten that far up there by myself.  Not sure I would want someone sticking it up there who did not know what they

were doing.

My NFL COVID concern (one of several) is what happens when a player tests positive/comes down with it.  Or coach or trainer or water boy or ref or

stadium security guard, chef, clean up crew... etc.)  Wouldn't the whole team be quarantined for awhile?  Even if they test frequently it would just take

one player testing positive to scrub the whole team.   A 1-0 forfeit?  

Going to be interesting to see how this all shakes down.

The NY Times article above gets into these scenarios. 

Closer to present time, the other world sports are dealing with similar questions. There are the additional issues—now also coming in—of players who may refuse to participate due to exposure concerns. 

NFL to continue virtual offseason through May
The NFL has extended the virtual offseason another two weeks.

The NFL won’t have normal offseason workouts through at least the rest of the month.

This week, the league sent out a memo to all 32 teams telling them to continue the virtual offseason through the end of May.

Originally, the virtual offseason was only supposed to last until May 15, but the league decided to extend it another two weeks.

The league is allowing clubs to either begin or resume workouts this offseason. The workouts can either be done virtually, or in person, but teams must give players “adequate notice to prepare for participation in the workouts.” Teams can also send up to $1,500 to each player to purchase equipment for the video sessions.

Normally, workouts would end on June 26th, but the memo offered an alternative to that date in case the COVID-19 limits the non-virtual offseason to a late start.

Basically, the NFL is moving things back without offering a specific time to restart. The things are going, it’s probably a good idea to take things a few weeks at a time.

So far, none of the changes are going to require the season to start any later than scheduled.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/5/15/21258034/nfl-to-continue-virtual-offseason-through-may

Not exactly a here-and-now piece for the Bengals or the NFL...however it is one for future draft picks currently in college. 

With the 2020 NCAA football season very much in doubt, the effects on the potential 2021 draftees is enormous. 

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/covid-19-pandemic-has-nfl-prospects-pondering-threat-of-a-lost-college-football-season/article_8f149212-0e77-5763-86b0-ad212f258795.html

Bengals preparing to reopen, don’t have set return date yet

As the lockdowns end, the Bengals will soon look to reopen their facilities.

"With offseason trainings potentially starting up and coaches getting back in the office, the Bengals have no set reopening date, but there is progress being made."

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/5/17/21261100/bengals-preparing-reopen-dont-set-return-date-yet

Not really sure what they'd look like but I certainly hope they are easy to breath in!

NFL testing new protective facemasks with surgical or N95 material

NFL engineers and sports equipment company Oakley are testing prototypes of modified facemasks that may contain surgical or N95 material, the NFLPA's medical director said Monday.

Speaking on Monday's The Adam Schefter Podcast, Thom Mayer said "there will probably be a recommendation" that the NFL will use such masks to protect players from the coronavirus when the league returns to play.

"Back in early March, I had suggested that we should consider novel and emerging ways to handle the helmets and the facemasks and the spread of the virus," Mayer said. "And these guys, the bioengineers that we use and that the league uses -- Oakley, as you may or may not know, does all the face visors for the league under contract -- these guys got the bit between their teeth."

Mayer said he wasn't sure exactly how the modifications would look, but he acknowledged that it is realistic to think that the new designs could cover a player's entire facemask, and that the engineers were working on all such a design might entail.

"They've got some prototypes; they're doing really good work," he said. "Some of them, when you first look at them, you think, 'Gosh, no' -- 'cause you're not used to seeing it; you're just not used to seeing it. But they're looking at every issue you can imagine, including when it fogs up. What do we do with that? But these guys are used to dealing with this stuff."

Oakley has experience designing durable eyeglasses that won't fog up for use by the military, Mayer said.

Mayer also advised players who may have elevated risk factors to be constantly aware of doing everything possible to prevent exposure to the coronavirus.

"For a player like that, getting the helmet off, putting a mask on right afterwards, maintaining social distancing when not in the field as much as possible, using single-use hydration, whether water, Gatorade, whatever it might be -- I mean, just every little detail," he said.

"Anybody who's got a risk, I would advise them to be zealous, religious and frankly, almost maniacally committed to minimizing the chance of spreading the virus."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29191362/nfl-testing-new-protective-facemasks-surgical-n95-material

1 hour ago, Griever said:

Not really sure what they'd look like but I certainly hope they are easy to breath in!

NFL testing new protective facemasks with surgical or N95 material

NFL engineers and sports equipment company Oakley are testing prototypes of modified facemasks that may contain surgical or N95 material, the NFLPA's medical director said Monday.

Speaking on Monday's The Adam Schefter Podcast, Thom Mayer said "there will probably be a recommendation" that the NFL will use such masks to protect players from the coronavirus when the league returns to play.

"Back in early March, I had suggested that we should consider novel and emerging ways to handle the helmets and the facemasks and the spread of the virus," Mayer said. "And these guys, the bioengineers that we use and that the league uses -- Oakley, as you may or may not know, does all the face visors for the league under contract -- these guys got the bit between their teeth."

Mayer said he wasn't sure exactly how the modifications would look, but he acknowledged that it is realistic to think that the new designs could cover a player's entire facemask, and that the engineers were working on all such a design might entail.

"They've got some prototypes; they're doing really good work," he said. "Some of them, when you first look at them, you think, 'Gosh, no' -- 'cause you're not used to seeing it; you're just not used to seeing it. But they're looking at every issue you can imagine, including when it fogs up. What do we do with that? But these guys are used to dealing with this stuff."

Oakley has experience designing durable eyeglasses that won't fog up for use by the military, Mayer said.

Mayer also advised players who may have elevated risk factors to be constantly aware of doing everything possible to prevent exposure to the coronavirus.

"For a player like that, getting the helmet off, putting a mask on right afterwards, maintaining social distancing when not in the field as much as possible, using single-use hydration, whether water, Gatorade, whatever it might be -- I mean, just every little detail," he said.

"Anybody who's got a risk, I would advise them to be zealous, religious and frankly, almost maniacally committed to minimizing the chance of spreading the virus."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29191362/nfl-testing-new-protective-facemasks-surgical-n95-material

Alot of new activities with the masks ..

Most players face masks would seem to elininate some if the issues..

Having the mask and helmet would be prudent..

Oh and gloves..noone wants to be touched..i can see that as an upcoming mandate as well..

Weird year fo sho!

One issue with close use masks—especially in strenuous exercise—is deprivation of sufficient oxygen intake. Could potentially lead to cardiac arrests. Happened to an athlete in China recently. 

A layer across the face mask may lead to enough space in between to allow air flow. But, then again, it may not be useful in sealing out the virus. 

May well be that —much like they are experimenting in other sports now—that players/staff will have to isolate with themselves during the season and simply participate in the games. No other contacts allowed.

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

One issue with close use masks—especially in strenuous exercise—is deprivation of sufficient oxygen intake. Could potentially lead to cardiac arrests. Happened to an athlete in China recently. 

A layer across the face mask may lead to enough space in between to allow air flow. But, then again, it may not be useful in sealing out the virus. 

May well be that —much like they are experimenting in other sports now—that players/staff will have to isolate with themselves during the season and simply participate in the games. No other contacts allowed.

What about practices?

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

What about practices?

The great unknown. The present world sport reopening experiment, is with German soccer, and Australian Rules Football. The protocols have been for teams to be housed in hotels and such, for two weeks prior to matches. The AFL hasn't begun yet, and the Bundesliga just began this past weekend. The Germans only have 9 matches for completion of their season, and the plans are for the players/staff to stay at the hotels/training facilities for the duration of the remainder of the season--no going home at all. The AFL is said to be going the same route--however their season doesn't begin until the end of the month. 

Anyone's guess as to what the NFL will do...or what states will allow them to do.

12 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The great unknown. The present world sport reopening experiment, is with German soccer, and Australian Rules Football. The protocols have been for teams to be housed in hotels and such, for two weeks prior to matches. The AFL hasn't begun yet, and the Bundesliga just began this past weekend. The Germans only have 9 matches for completion of their season, and the plans are for the players/staff to stay at the hotels/training facilities for the duration of the remainder of the season--no going home at all. The AFL is said to be going the same route--however their season doesn't begin until the end of the month. 

Anyone's guess as to what the NFL will do...or what states will allow them to do.

Wow thats interesting..

Im thinking a short season would be in order..

First four reg season games would now be preseason affairs..

You have to see what your players can do to some extent..

Modify it to 12 games unless they dont mind playing into Feb or even March..

29 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The AFL is organizing shorter training camps prior to resuming the season. They'll take place in localized areas. They're experiencing issues with certain clubs due to each state having different quarantine protocols. Both teams from South Australia are relocating to Queensland to set up camp. It could get ugly.

8 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Wow thats interesting..

The key would be how training camps go. The teams used to go "off to camp" in the old days--and be there for 2-3 weeks. Nobody went home, and stayed in dorm facilities. The Bengals did at Wilmington for decades. That could take care of the isolation part. 

After that, and especially if there are no fan games, your scenario would be doable. 

2 minutes ago, Gremzz said:

The AFL is organizing shorter training camps prior to resuming the season. They'll take place in localized areas. They're experiencing issues with certain clubs due to each state having different quarantine protocols. Both teams from South Australia are relocating to Queensland to set up camp. It could get ugly.

Was reading that today. Also seeing that the western clubs may have to eventually play many more matches in the east, than vice versa. They are raising hell I see, but the Victoria and NSW clubs have much more money so they are driving the bus--all the while saying it's "for safety reasons".

33 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Was reading that today. Also seeing that the western clubs may have to eventually play many more matches in the east, than vice versa. They are raising hell I see, but the Victoria and NSW clubs have much more money so they are driving the bus--all the while saying it's "for safety reasons".

Is it really for safety reasons or revenue??

The only obstruction playing the Suoer Bowl in March would be March Madness (if they even play it)..

The NFL would take priority so NCAA will 

adjust schedule around it..

Owners want that 16 games Im sure for the revenue..

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Pretty much. All of the powerhouse clubs are in Victoria and there's 10 teams in total located there. NSW isn't far to travel, that's why I assume they'll also be in consideration for housing clubs and potential match locations. This could all change though if WA and SA decide to change their state quarantine restrictions, although I suspect (as  we're going into winter) that might be a ways away.  Not sure I agree with the proposed rules, time will tell whether it works or not I guess.

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Wow thats interesting..

Not going to happen but I would be OK with it.

Go to an 8 game season only playing a home and away series with the other teams in the division.

Say, late September or early October into November.  No bye week, etc.

Perfect football weather.  I hate those early games where its hotter than the hinges off Hell.

Ohio's worse parts of winter are in February and March.  I would hate the thought of driving to

or home from games in freezing rain and ice storms.

Maybe two preseason games early September that are actually little more than heavy practices, more

a showcase for second, third tier players to show if they have what it takes to play with the big boys.

And an extended, sudden death playoff schedule.  Maybe some sort of wild card game with the two teams

with the top records who did not make the divisional playoff elimination round to extend the season and

make it more interesting with a couple of teams stronger than some of the weak division champs, teams who

played in weak divisions with not a lot of competition.

Leave the day and time of the Super Bowl alone.  Too much already invested to change it late.

Hydroxychloroquine for EVERYONE!

Seriously, douse all the players, coaches, trainers, and managers in it before AND after the games! Hell, get the cheerleaders to wrestle in kiddy pools of it for pre and post game entertainment.

It’ll be fine.

I think the nest few months will allow the NFL to learn a lot.  Opening auto plants is an even larger undertaking than a sports league. Testing, temperature taking, and constant surveillance is part of what has to be done.  From what I’ve heard in Asia they have been very successful keep the virus out in that setting.  Social setting seem to be the problem.  If you can keep sick people out you don’t have problems.   Masks on athletes going max effort is not going to work. 

If I’m the NFL I would be reaching out to Moderna and other vaccine companies to volunteer to test their product.  If it can work in the  NFL...great marketing too. As long as they can show it is safe first it would be a win-win for both organizations. 

Archived