Draft/OTA's/Training Camp/Season Covid-19

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

CFL cancels 2020 season amid COVID-19 pandemic

https://www.nfl.com/news/cfl-cancels-2020-season-amid-covid-19-pandemic

This is going to be devastating for the league (which BTW has been around longer than the NFL) - there are only 9 teams and several of them were already in rough financial shape. The CFL gets very little TV revenue so they cant just play to empty stadiums. 

15 minutes ago, Griever said:

Interesting thought. I suppose it could help the postseason go on without a hitch. Obviously once a team loses they are free to leave so the bubble would be less populated after each round of the playoffs.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/19/nfl-doesnt-rule-out-a-postseason-bubble/

Even for the playoffs--assuming there will be the usual number of teams involved--what Bubble (or Bubbles) would be sufficient to handle all of the players/staff? It works OK so far in Orlando, and the 2-city NHL format, but... 

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Even for the playoffs--assuming there will be the usual number of teams involved--what Bubble (or Bubbles) would be sufficient to handle all of the players/staff? It works OK so far in Orlando, and the 2-city NHL format, but... 

LA is about the only area with the venues and hotels.  That said it would be a terrible place for a bubble, too many distractions. 

15 hours ago, Jason said:

Orlando and maybe Hawaii.

Does Orlando or Hawaii have any large football stadiums?  I assume some fans will be allowed.  The Rose Bowl could seat 25k safely I would think. Same with the USC Coliseum.   The new Rams/Bolts place is there too.  You also have 4 nice sized stadiums around San Francisco. 

31 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Does Orlando or Hawaii have any large football stadiums?  I assume some fans will be allowed.  The Rose Bowl could seat 25k safely I would think. Same with the USC Coliseum.   The new Rams/Bolts place is there too.  You also have 4 nice sized stadiums around San Francisco. 

UCF is in Orlando...they have a 48000 seat stadium..

On 8/19/2020 at 4:39 PM, Jason said:

Sidelines will look different. 

3E3D133D-ED4D-41A7-BC4B-41F7D2CC92BF.png

My brother covers the Reds for Reds Report and The Dayton Daily News and when he goes to cover the home games, there is one way into the stadium and the reporters are limited to the press box with social distancing and they have to leave the same way. They can’t go anywhere else in the stadium. They also severely limited the press passes. I wonder if he’ll be covering the Bengals at all this year. (He also helps out the AP reporter that covers the Bengals.)

9 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

My brother covers the Reds for Reds Report and The Dayton Daily News and when he goes to cover the home games, there is one way into the stadium and the reporters are limited to the press box with social distancing and they have to leave the same way. They can’t go anywhere else in the stadium. They also severely limited the press passes. I wonder if he’ll be covering the Bengals at all this year. (He also helps out the AP reporter that covers the Bengals.)

If hes one of the main reporters for Dayton he should"make the cut"..

Good luck to him.

With the expanded playoff format , it would seem a single stadium would not be sufficient in a Bubble situation. LA then might be a consideration: there would be (at least) 3 locations which could be used: New Rams/Chargers stadium, Memorial Coliseum, and (maybe) the Rose Bowl. If Angels Stadium could be refitted for football (which the Rams used way back when), that would be 4 locations. 

Sean McDermott: Inconsistency in attendance policies is 'ridiculous'

The list of coaches unhappy with opposing attendance allowances is growing.

Less than a week after Vikings coach Mike Zimmer made his gripes about a potential disadvantage as the visiting team amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Bills coach Sean McDermott voiced similar displeasure Monday.

"I think it's honestly ridiculous that there will be, on the surface, what appears to be a playing field that's like that -- inconsistently across the league with the different away stadiums," McDermott said, via ESPN's Marcel Louis-Jacques.

McDermott's response was in relation to the Monday news that fellow AFC East rival Miami will be hosting a limited capacity total of 13,000 fans for the Dolphins' Week 2 home opener set to be played against -- you guessed it -- the Buffalo Bills.

NFL teams have taken a logical approach to the issue of whether they can invite fans to their stadiums in 2020 with a variety of results being produced. Some teams, like the Raiders, won't have fans at all this season, which is of course disappointing for a team moving into a brand-new stadium in a new market. Others, like the Lions and Broncos, announced fans won't attend some of their early games, while leaving room for changes later in the season. The Dolphins are one of the fortunate franchises that will welcome roughly 20 percent of their fans to their stadium for their first home contest.

Zimmer's and McDermott's points aren't entirely wrong, because 13,000 fans will make more of an impact than zero fans, even if that impact is much less than a typical home crowd. But in this unprecedented time, very little seems to be all that fair. It's likely McDermott won't be the last coach to voice his opinion on this.

https://www.nfl.com/news/sean-mcdermott-inconsistency-nfl-attendance-policies-ridiculous

Camping World Stadium in Orlando is 20 miles from the complex where the NBA is competing. Additionally, 53 players+staff x 16 teams dwarfs the available safe housing locations (which the NBA uses). 

Plus, the number of games to be played would not fit into the usage of one stadium—if they are to allow the standard week rest in between. Fan attendance size is a non-issue: more than one stadium will be needed in order to get the games in. That would not fit Orlando.

LA is the only realistic site for a “Bubble”.  In all probability, they will most likely simply go with the Playoffs as traditional: play in seeded teams home locations, and take their chances that way.

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Camping World Stadium in Orlando is 20 miles from the complex where the NBA is competing. Additionally, 53 players+staff x 16 teams dwarfs the available safe housing locations (which the NBA uses). 

Plus, the number of games to be played would not fit into the usage of one stadium—if they are to allow the standard week rest in between. Fan attendance size is a non-issue: more than one stadium will be needed in order to get the games in. That would not fit Orlando.

LA is the only realistic site for a “Bubble”.  In all probability, they will most likely simply go with the Playoffs as traditional: play in seeded teams home locations, and take their chances that way.

San Francisco area actually has a lot of decent sized stadiums just not sure about lodging. 

Archived