Offense at 33?

With all the free agent acquisitions on defense this off season I've shifted my assumption from defense at 33 to offense. 

Quarterback - We're taking Burrow #1 so hopefully we don't draft another at 33.

Runningback - With Mixon, Gio and the 2 guys we drafted in 2019 on the roster this is highly unlikely.

Wide Receiver - This is where it gets interesting. This draft is historically deep at WR. There will be some talented potential WR1 guys available at 33. With AJ being 32 and only playing on a franchise tag, it makes a ton of sense to take a guy to replace him. Also helps to have someone develop with Burrow. 

The WRs:

Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona St - Good chance he goes off the board before this. He is explosive and dynamic with the ball in his hands. Freakishly long arms.

Laviska Chenault, Colorado - Swiss army knife at receiver. Dynamic athlete who is built like and runs like a big RB. Has a lot of injury concerns.

Tee Higgins, Clemson - Tall and lanky contested catch guy. Not the athlete as the other guys on this list but has great hands and unmatched length. A better version of Auden Tate.

Jaelen Reagor, TCU - Insane athlete. Deep speed and uses it to create separation. Really struggled with a terrible QB and offense his last year. 

Chase Claypool, Notre Dame - He's getting hype late 1 early 2 but I don't see it. Tested better than any WR and he's HUGE. Some talk he moves to TE.

Tight End - Yes we spent a 2nd on Sample last year. That was unanimously considered to be a massive reach and he showed nothing his first year. Taylor uses a lot of 2 TE sets. Now I doubt we take one here but there is 1 good one worthy of 33.

The TEs:

Cole Kmet, Notre Dame - Has the best size and athleticism of any TE in the draft. Good blocker and receiver. Not a dynamic down field threat like a Kelce but can dominate in short to intermediate area.

Offensive Tackle - I see RT as a massive need. Bobby Hart is terrible. Fred Johnson is an unknown. We have no quality depth at the tackle position as a whole.

The OTs:

Ezra Cleveland, Boise St - Lots of quality experience. Perfect size (6'6 311) with long arms. Tested out of this world at the combine. Much more of a finesse guy than power.

Austin Jackson, USC - Similar player to Cleveland but more raw in his technique. True Junior. Excellent athlete but can be beat by power guys. 

Interior OL - We signed the Cowboys guy to a backup contract. Price and Jordan have not performed well enough to count on. Hopkins is a solid starter on a newer deal so I don't see center as a high need. Interior OL rarely go this high unless they are truly elite players. There's 1 like that.

The Interior OL:

Cesar Ruiz, Michigan - True Junior who played center for Michigan. Has experience at guard. Excellent size and all around technique. Great athlete. Not weak but is still young and needs to continue getting stronger.

Rankings of listed players:

1. WR Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona St

2. WR Laviska Chenault, Colorado

3. WR Jaelen Reagor, TCU 

4. OT Ezra Cleveland, Boise St

5. WR Tee Higgins, Clemson

6. TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame

7. OT Austin Jackson, USC

8. G Cesar Ruiz, Michigan

9. WR Chase Claypool, Notre Dame

I'm sure I forgot or missed some guys. I don't expect Josh Jones to fall to 33 like some places. Also don't see the WRs Jefferson or Mims lasting until 33. 

Thoughts on offense at 33???

Good analysis as usual.  For me I am still wanting a hybrid LB at 33.  But with the recent FA signings I really have not looked if the Bengals now have a Safety that could play that role.  And of course there might not be a LB that fits that role left at 33.

If there is a true Green replacement available at 33 I might have to think seriously at that move.  If you take a true WR1 the question is would Green become trade bait?  There is no reason to give Green a long term deal if you have his replacement in house.

I'm still in the offensive line camp for early offensive draft picks. Can't hit a wide receiver when you're face down in the backfield. Plus it makes Mixon happy.

I'm afraid I'll  be having flashbacks to the 2017 draft when I was creaming for OL and we drafted one.....in the 5th round.

Akili becoming one of my favorite posters, doing the research so I don't have to! Well done sir.

Protect the new face of the franchise, OL. Speaking of the new face of the franchise, he can make our WR's look even better, despite their being enticing options available.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Id be especially happy if they drafted ..

Tee Higgins at receiver..

Patrick Queen at linebacker..

Josh Jones at OT..

Hopefully one of them falls to 33...

Higgins' workout numbers weren't very good.  He had a solid season, but the ACC was especially weak this year.  OSU and LSU mostly shut him down.  I wouldn't be surprised if he took a pretty big slide in the draft.  I used to be on the 33 boat, but now I think I wouldn't take him before 65.

41 minutes ago, Jason said:

Higgins' workout numbers weren't very good.  He had a solid season, but the ACC was especially weak this year.  OSU and LSU mostly shut him down.  I wouldn't be surprised if he took a pretty big slide in the draft.  I used to be on the 33 boat, but now I think I wouldn't take him before 65.

Yeah I'm afraid he's a lot more Devin Funchess than Brandon Marshall

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I think they have set themselves up to take BPA (except RB and QB, of course).  I still want a LB, T, and G, but they don't have to do any of that at 33.

THIS ^ .....because of this once in a lifetime free agentpalooza......they've opened up the draft to go for the best talent

I've done a LOT of mocks on Fanside and imho if you want a good receiver,you better get him by the end of round 2.It would be nice if someone coveted a player at 33 and gave us an extra 3rd rounder without dropping to far in round 2.I did two mocks with us trading back and picking up an extra 3rd,one with a WR in round 2,the other without.

wr326.jpg

Bengals trade the #33 pick to Carolina for the #38 and #113 picks (Bengals have #107 pick to start Day 3).  Carolina covets and takes DL Marlon Davidson of Auburn, who impressed them all season in the SEC, but especially in the Senior Bowl when he came in 18 pounds heavier (muscle) than he played at in 2019.  He'll replace the departed Gerald McCoy.

Cincinnati takes with the 38th pick, WR Denzel Mims, Baylor, who has exploded onto the scene after top performances at the Senior Bowl and Combine.

1 hour ago, Kingspoint said:

Bengals trade the #33 pick to Carolina for the #38 and #113 picks (Bengals have #107 pick to start Day 3).  Carolina covets and takes DL Marlon Davidson of Auburn, who impressed them all season in the SEC, but especially in the Senior Bowl when he came in 18 pounds heavier (muscle) than he played at in 2019.  He'll replace the departed Gerald McCoy.

Cincinnati takes with the 38th pick, WR Denzel Mims, Baylor, who has exploded onto the scene after top performances at the Senior Bowl and Combine.

Mims is a lock for 1 IMO. I think he's an Eagle at 21.

With all of the FA signings (man, it feels good to say that!) this pick determines the direction of the team.  Right now, on paper, I think it's fair to say the defense will be ahead of the offense.  If we draft defense, I think we're setting ourselves up to be an old school Baltimore, Jacksonville type of team where we build a dominate defense with a barely serviceable offense.  The huge difference would be is that we have a (potentially) game changing QB which those teams didn't have. 

If we go offense, we'll probably have a more balanced team where both units are closer to average (defense just above/offense just below).  I do think it'll be BPA so it'll be interesting to see who's there on day 2. 

For me, I like the idea of having a dominate defense because we'll have the QB.  I hope either Queen or Murray are available, but if not, if we could trade down to get another pick and draft Justin Madubuike or Ross Blacklock on the IDL, that would be great.  We saw Geno's game slip last year and he's only getting older so 3 tech will be a need and arguably is a need right now.  Geno can't play the snaps he used to so if we can get a good, young guy to take some of those early game snaps to keep Geno fresh, that would be a good idea.

Then again, I still don't know what base defense Lou is running, is it a 3-4, 4-3, 3-3-5...his defense was so multiple last year it's hard to tell. 

15 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If we don't make any more moves before the draft, pick 33 has to be an OT. We can't run Burrow out behind Hart and effectively a rookie in Williams.

I thing guard is a bigger need than tackle right now.  Hart was below average, but serviceable last year.  XSF, from what I’ve read, is pretty bad and we didn’t have a competent LG all year last year.  Hopkins is decent at center, but we could use an upgrade there as well.  The interior of our line is hot garbage and needs a major overhaul.  

42 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I thing guard is a bigger need than tackle right now.  Hart was below average, but serviceable last year.  XSF, from what I’ve read, is pretty bad and we didn’t have a competent LG all year last year.  Hopkins is decent at center, but we could use an upgrade there as well.  The interior of our line is hot garbage and needs a major overhaul.  

XSF is a good pass protector (77.1)

but weak in the run game..(43)

Yes the interior was a mess last year.

Jordan's hand usage was bad as he was slow getting to the opponents chestplate

but got remarkably better as the season wore on ..

Hes worked with a boxing coach to accelerate his movements ..

Hell be stronger this year too.

Id get another interior player but not in round 2 or 3...

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

If we don't make any more moves before the draft, pick 33 has to be an OT. We can't run Burrow out behind Hart and effectively a rookie in Williams.

If Josh Jones or another 1st rounder slides it would make sense.But if one of the projected 1st round guys doesn't slide,there's nobody worth a 2nd round pick imho.

If it were my decision I would draft an OT at 33 for a few reasons:

1. Protecting Burrow is the top priority and currently the talent at OT is questionable at best. 

2. This draft is not deep with quality OT prospects and normally OT go early in the draft because it's perceived to be a premium position. Waiting until the later rounds will mean significantly less talented players are available.

I really like Isaiah Wilson from UGA, played 27 games at RT in the SEC and is only getting better as matures. Physically he's a beast and a great athlete.

He's young and really starting to put it all together. Many scouts think he came out to would be a first round pick if he stayed another year or two. 

If I were drafting for the Bengals I would go OT in the 2nd and 4th, LB in the 3rd and 5th, and WR in the 6th and 7th.

Archived