Offense at 33?

45 minutes ago, membengal said:

I mock select him at top of third every chance I get - I wouldn’t hate it at 33 but would feel a little early there to me anyway.

It does seem a little early to me too. Trade back a few spots and pick up a 4, and I like it a lot. He does seem to be a Jim Turner guy, and it would bother me less than Sample did. 

10 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Sounds like a Cordy Glenn kind of guy.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. There's a lot of upper level college players of late who do the same thing to avoid the potential loss of a multi million dollar future in the NFL. It's probably an agent driven thing, and really not all that unusual nowadays. I doubt it has any bearing whatsoever on the player's makeup and what kind of a pro he'll end up being.

26 minutes ago, bengaled said:

I don't think that's necessarily the case. There's a lot of upper level college players of late who do the same thing to avoid the potential loss of a multi million dollar future in the NFL. It's probably an agent driven thing, and really not all that unusual nowadays. I doubt it has any bearing whatsoever on the player's makeup and what kind of a pro he'll end up being.

Yeah, after what happened to the ND LB against tOSU, a lot of top prospects are sitting the Bowl if it's not the playoffs.

19 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The strategy at #33 should be simple - if a very good LB or OT (who can play RT) is there take him, otherwise, trade down.

So if a WR or say a S is sitting there that the Bengals have a first round grade on they should just pass him up because he’s not a LB or OT? 

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

So if a WR or say a S is sitting there that the Bengals have a first round grade on they should just pass him up because he’s not a LB or OT? 

Tough call. Some of these WRs who will go in the 2nd round this year would have been 1st rounders last year.   A lot of great players.  The draft history of late  1st early 2nd round OTs is up there with later 1st round QBs.  It seems to be a crap shoot.  Then again average is better than Hart. 

OT or LB at #33. Taking a WR would be a classic Bengals move and I say that knowing this class is strong at the position.  It's a luxury pick for a team that has little margin for error,  sorta like the Sample pick last year.  Any WR that is drafted will have to fight for snaps and we need someone to play immediately with such a high pick.  My desired outcome is to get a starting LB and someone to compete/replace Bobby Hart on Day 2.  Anything short of that would be disappointing.

Only two WR under contract for 2021 and beyond - boyd and Auden Tate. That’s it. So, yeah, WR is a massive need.

the LB depth in this draft is really quite good - there will be players there in 4 and 5 rounds who can help. If they go line and WR in rounds 2 and 3 in some order that’s fine by me and addresses obvious needs...

Archived