Offense at 33?

14 minutes ago, membengal said:

Only two WR under contract for 2021 and beyond - boyd and Auden Tate. That’s it. So, yeah, WR is a massive need.

the LB depth in this draft is really quite good - there will be players there in 4 and 5 rounds who can help. If they go line and WR in rounds 2 and 3 in some order that’s fine by me and addresses obvious needs...

Thats not to say they arent signing Green long jterm soon (mistake imho) and the idea that other vet receivers will be cut after the draft .

Im all for drafting a receiver..

Im more for a RT and coverbacker earlier..

11 minutes ago, membengal said:

Only two WR under contract for 2021 and beyond - boyd and Auden Tate. That’s it. So, yeah, WR is a massive need.

the LB depth in this draft is really quite good - there will be players there in 4 and 5 rounds who can help. If they go line and WR in rounds 2 and 3 in some order that’s fine by me and addresses obvious needs...

but you have for 2020 wrs  #1 AJ  #2 Boyd #3 Tate # 4 2nd rounder? #5 Ross.....

where as at LB and probably OL the pick would be a starter 

unless the WR is an unbelievable drop from the 1st and a player you would be building the team around then maybe 

i probably  wouldnt take him but use his value to trade back with a minimum another 2nd next year,  more if we are droping to 43 or more,

Neither Green nor Ross have been reliable the last 2 years.  I'm not saying they have to take a WR at 33, but:

1. They do need a WR

2. I like the idea of Burrow and a WR coming in at the same time.

3. Take BPA at 33 including if it's a WR (but not QB, RB, or TE).  

4. The best cover LBs in this draft are 3/4 round prospects.

17 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

but you have for 2020 wrs  #1 AJ  #2 Boyd #3 Tate # 4 2nd rounder? #5 Ross.....

but you can't count on Ross or Green and Tate is still a huge unknown....so where's that leave ya?

WR is not a bigger need than LB or OT and I'm against the idea of using such a high pick on a player who might have no impact next year.  If the depth at WR is as good as advertised, they can wait to take one and get a Day 1 starter at one of their two weakest positions.   FWIW , Lapham was heavily implying on his podcast that the pick at #33 will be a LB unless they trade down.  Not saying his opinion is gospel, but he's got a pretty good record of late.  

15 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

WR is not a bigger need than LB or OT and I'm against the idea of using such a high pick on a player who might have no impact next year.  If the depth at WR is as good as advertised, they can wait to take one and get a Day 1 starter at one of their two weakest positions.   FWIW , Lapham was heavily implying on his podcast that the pick at #33 will be a LB unless they trade down.  Not saying his opinion is gospel, but he's got a pretty good record of late.  

Drafting players with an eye only on next year, and not the next 4 though isn't the best way to go IMO.

LB and OT are bigger needs both short and long term than WR.  Not saying WR is not a need, especially after 2020.  Same goes for CB, with only Waynes and Phillips under contract for multiple seasons.  I will be disappointed if our 2nd round pick barely plays this year.  I'd rather get a Day 1 starter and check LB or RT off the to-do list.  If we get a stud at another position who takes awhile to develop then so be it.  Last year didn't instill much confidence that the Bengals will do either based off what Drew Sample has shown thus far, but I will hope for the best.

I'm not convinced there will be a LB worth taking at 33.  Again, I'm not eliminating OT at 33, but I'm not eliminating WR either.  My "realistic dream pick" would be Josh Jones.  But as of 2021, we currently have no speed at WR under contract.  And even if they lock up AJ Green in the next 9 days (which I doubt) I still think we need a WR somewhere.

56 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not convinced there will be a LB worth taking at 33.  Again, I'm not eliminating OT at 33, but I'm not eliminating WR either.  My "realistic dream pick" would be Josh Jones.  But as of 2021, we currently have no speed at WR under contract.  And even if they lock up AJ Green in the next 9 days (which I doubt) I still think we need a WR somewhere.

We are drafting a once in a generation QB, and may never get another opportunity to ride a guy like Joe's talent again in our lifetimes.  I think we should do everything humanly possible to surround and protect him with the best possible talent we can find... be it a free agent, the draft, or however. Burrow might end up the best to ever play the game. Shouldn't we do everything we can to see if that can happen by giving him a good line, especially a decent set of tackles?

I agree WR is needed somewhere, I just hope it's after #33.  Kiper has gone on record saying as many as 30 WR could be taken in the first three rounds so it would appear to be very deep overall.  It's not a situation where there won't be decent WR options later on.  As far as LB or OT having enough value to be taken #33, I don't see it as much of an issue.  We reached for a blocking TE who barely played in the 2nd round last year so clearly the Bengals concept of value isn't what you or I might agree with.  I trust Lapham's opinion as an inside source and he seems to think it'll be LB or a trade down.  ZT implied LB would be a draft priority too when questioned about free agency not really addressing the position much.  We also know they went hard after Schobert before he signed with Jacksonville.  Obviously we have no idea who will be available and trades are impossible to forecast, but there's plenty of signs pointing the direction of LB.

5 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

there is still next years draft and free agency to address any wr deficiency in 2021, not so for our LB and OL in 2020.  

Exactly everyone worried about wr unit in 2021 when the the 2020 unit is good.  Who gives a fuck about the 2021 wr core when your stud young qb is hurt because your 2020 oline is shit.  protecting Burrow should be the number 1 priority 

10 hours ago, stryker57 said:

there is still next years draft and free agency to address any wr deficiency in 2021, not so for our LB and OL in 2020.  

FA wide receivers...not a great way to address that particular position historically. You really want to draft and develop as opposed to the market...

10 hours ago, bengals7833 said:

I’ve said it before they currently have two starting caliber olineman and one of them have never taken an NFL snap and people are worried about the 2021 WR core.  It’s mind boggling to me

Well Dufus Tobin said it himself "This roster needs a lot of help". Which is why I advocate for trading down at 333 unless an obvious LB or OT is there. 

10 hours ago, bengals7833 said:

I’ve said it before they currently have two starting caliber olineman and one of them have never taken an NFL snap and people are worried about the 2021 WR core.  It’s mind boggling to me

Taking a WR at 33 doesn't mean they ignore line - there are a LOT of good OL candidates at 65. Unless Josh Jones falls to 33, I am not overly comfortable with the other OT options at 33 - I really REALLY don't want Austin Jackson (too much SOFT thrown at him by scouts) and while I like Cleveland's athleticism - there are those that call him soft as well. So if they go WR at 33, OL at 65 and then LB at 107 that works for my books. There is really good depth at LB for 4th round. Problem with this WR class is that it is mostly deep at the slot- so if you miss out on the premiere outside WR targets early, the next best duplicate what Boyd does...

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

Taking a WR at 33 doesn't mean they ignore line - there are a LOT of good OL candidates at 65. Unless Josh Jones falls to 33, I am not overly comfortable with the other OT options at 33 - I really REALLY don't want Austin Jackson (too much SOFT thrown at him by scouts) and while I like Cleveland's athleticism - there are those that call him soft as well. So if they go WR at 33, OL at 65 and then LB at 107 that works for my books. There is really good depth at LB for 4th round. Problem with this WR class is that it is mostly deep at the slot- so if you miss out on the premiere outside WR targets early, the next best duplicate what Boyd does...

Agreed

3 hours ago, membengal said:

I dont see a difference between highly regarded Becton or Isaiah Wilson.

Both massive OTs that are road graders..

Both need coaching up on quicker hand placement..

Where am I wrong?

So basically some want a WR regardless at #33 despite bigger needs at other positions.   Even if that WR sits all this year or barely plays.  We also should believe we can find a starting caliber LB or RT on Day 3.  Count me as very skeptical.  This preference for shiny new skill position toys is how we ended up with John Ross in the top 10.  You simply can't screw up this high of a pick.  Find a plug and play option and eliminate a major need.  

9 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This preference for shiny new skill position toys is how we ended up with John Ross in the top 10

And this preference to take lesser players simply because we have a need at a certain position is exactly how we ended up with Ced Ogb and Jake Fisher. 

Take the best player you can possibly get without pigeonholing yourself. Seems pretty reasonable to me. 

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

So basically some want a WR regardless at #33 despite bigger needs at other positions.   Even if that WR sits all this year or barely plays.  We also should believe we can find a starting caliber LB or RT on Day 3.  Count me as very skeptical.  This preference for shiny new skill position toys is how we ended up with John Ross in the top 10.  You simply can't screw up this high of a pick.  Find a plug and play option and eliminate a major need.  

Must agree 100% here.

Archived