Offense at 33?

My personal big board for pick 33 (or first pick in 2nd round if they trade back):

1. IF , somehow, any of the top 4 tackles (Wills, Thomas, Wirfs, Becton) or top 3 receivers (Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs) falls against all odds to 33 - I hope they would take that one...

Assuming that doesn't happen, my big board of potential players at 33 is ( in this order):

---Josh Jones (OT)
---Patrick Queen (LB)
---Denzel Mims (WR)
---Jalen Reagor (WR)
---Cesar Ruiz (IOL)
---Kenneth Murray (LB)
---Tee Higgins (WR)
---Zack Baun (Edge/SSLB project)
---Ezra Cleveland (OT)

That breaks down to 3 OL, 3 LB (sorta if you count Baun) and 3 WR - some combo of those nine should be available at pick 33...

I really don't want to see a CB, S or DT here. It would make me kinda grumpy given the investment and depth at those positions after FA (feels weird to type that).

I do NOT want Austin Jackson (OT) or Shenault (WR)here - I think Jackson has a high bust factor and Shenault has a weird skill set (almost kinda RB-esque) and an injury history - I don't like the fit. I guess I don't want Hamler or Aiyuk there either - not sure I could put my finger on why - just feels over-drafted given the other players likely on the board (although I could talk myself into being okay with the latter two if I had to - Jackson and Shenault not so much).

The above is subject to editing/refinement.

27 minutes ago, membengal said:

My personal big board for pick 33 (or first pick in 2nd round if they trade back):

1. IF , somehow, any of the top 4 tackles (Wills, Thomas, Wirfs, Becton) or top 3 receivers (Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs) falls against all odds to 33 - I hope they would take that one...

Assuming that doesn't happen, my big board of potential players at 33 is ( in this order):

---Josh Jones (OT)
---Patrick Queen (LB)
---Denzel Mims (WR)
---Jalen Reagor (WR)
---Cesar Ruiz (IOL)
---Kenneth Murray (LB)
---Tee Higgins (WR)
---Ezra Cleveland (OT)

That breaks down to 3 OL, 3 LB (sorta if you count Baun) and 3 WR - some combo of those nine should be available at pick 33...

I really don't want to see a CB, S or DT here. It would make me kinda grumpy given the investment and depth at those positions after FA (feels weird to type that).

I do NOT want Austin Jackson (OT) or Shenault (WR)here - I think Jackson has a high bust factor and Shenault has a weird skill set (almost kinda RB-esque) and an injury history - I don't like the fit. I guess I don't want Hamler or Aiyuk there either - not sure I could put my finger on why - just feels over-drafted given the other players likely on the board (although I could talk myself into being okay with the latter two if I had to - Jackson and Shenault not so much).

The above is subject to editing/refinement.

Good work!

Jones Queen Mims Reagor and Murray would be my top five on your board..

Our receiving unit isnt fast at all.

How many of our recievers can even run under a 4.5?  One! Ross...

We need speed there...Mims or Reagor would be great additions ..

Josh Jones would be a no brainer to me but i doubt he's there at 33..Queen Murray or Baun would be good choices in that order imo.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

---Josh Jones (OT)
---Patrick Queen (LB)
---Denzel Mims (WR)
---Jalen Reagor (WR)
---Cesar Ruiz (IOL)
---Kenneth Murray (LB)
---Tee Higgins (WR)
---Ezra Cleveland (OT)

Not sure Higgins makes my list at 33, but I agree with the rest. Including “no” to Austin Jackson. 

5 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

So what is wrong with Austin Jackson?

I value your opinion.

Have seen him projected to us in round two in a couple other places.

He’s soft. He’s weak for his position. He will need some projection at the next level to reach his potential. The worst case is Ogbuehi redux. I don’t want that much of a project there at 33. Some scouts are ok with him but others are just brutal. He’s starting to pop up more as available in third round of mocks now and even there I would pass on him.

7 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

So what is wrong with Austin Jackson?

I value your opinion.

Have seen him projected to us in round two in a couple other places.

Athletically he’s good, but I’ve heard people I trust call him “soft”, which is what was wrong with Ced O. 

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

Athletically he’s good, but I’ve heard people I trust call him “soft”, which is what was wrong with Ced O. 

Hes played on a spread offense like most Pac-12 teams do...

Man to man might be too much to ask of his strength right now.

Burrow played in a spread at LSU and the Bengals may go to it this year..

Gives Mixon and Gio more opportubities to catch plus Boyd could have 90+ recetions ..

Maybe its just a matter of man to man or zone blocking you want...

15 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

I feel like we are stacked at WR. Green, Boyd, Tate,Ross. 

I'd bight the bullet and take another TE. Uzomah has shown promise but we need a clutch TE.  Maybe trade down the #33 and turn it into a TE & WR. 

Use next year's #1 pick on wr if green is done after this year. 

I would change your bad forecast that passing on Jackson would haunt the Bengals.  We ended up with Burrow.

8 hours ago, Kingspoint said:

I would change your bad forecast that passing on Jackson would haunt the Bengals.  We ended up with Burrow.

Naw because at the very least they should've got him and traded him to a NFC team. Bottom line.  

We're comparing the current most dynamic player we may have ever seen to a guy coming out of college.  That said I hope your right.  I have vivid memories of klingler, akili, my childhood hero uk qb Tim couch and every other #1 QB prospect flop around the NFL.  Why I'm not opposed to trading down. Burrow or not I'm very hopeful this team will be good with current roster. 

7 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Ruiz is a day one starter at RG. He’s plug and play anywhere on the interior. 
Likely gone anyhow, so..

Seldom find myself disagreeing with you, but I certainly do here. What part of his career suggests to you that he transitions and becomes a plug and play RG at the pro level?

33 minutes ago, bengaled said:

Seldom find myself disagreeing with you, but I certainly do here. What part of his career suggests to you that he transitions and becomes a plug and play RG at the pro level?

I dont want to draft a guard in the second round...

Didnt we try this with another c/g that was a plug and play?..Mr Price..

Not again this early..

Because most every draftable college C can easily move to guard before heading back to C in the pros. Ragnow and Daniels did from the ill-fated Price draft - and Ruiz has the size and athleticism to play guard if they want him to.

49 minutes ago, bengaled said:

No biggie 👍 I just think his athleticism on the inside translates well to any of the 3 spots. Super smart kid as well and locker room leader, I just feel like he’d be able to step right in with no issues whatsoever. All of that likely adds up to first round pick..

21 minutes ago, membengal said:

Because most every draftable college C can easily move to guard before heading back to C in the pros. Ragnow and Daniels did from the ill-fated Price draft - and Ruiz has the size and athleticism to play guard if they want him to.

Yeah, but you're  speaking in general terms while addressing the guard position here, and I think that's faulty thinking. Neither of those guys were drafted to do that, moreso were centers in training. On top of that, when injuries occurred and it mandated their filling in to those situations both those moves were to left guard, a position that favorably is an interchangeable one with a center as their duties and makeup are very similar.  However, starting LG and a starting "plug and play" RG are not the same thing and far from it. Much as a center and a left guard are somewhat interchangeable, technique wise, a right guard and a right tackle are more so aligned. Coincidentally, it's that type of a player that ideally fits our #1 OL need...a right guard who can in a pinch fill in at RT should the need arise.

I know there have been some examples where a guard was interchangeable and he performed at an acceptable level, but I sure am not seeing it here. With that said, is that what we're willing to spend a 2nd round pick on and the best use of that pick...a guy who has never played that position and someone "projects" he can perform  there at an acceptable level? I think not. If it's agreed upon that our #1 need on the OL is a RG (or perhaps RT), why not draft a guy who's qualified and has a pedigree of performing well there, versus someone who a "respected head"  projects can play there, even though it's not his natural position and he doesn't fit the parameters of projecting well there?

1 hour ago, bengaled said:

Yeah, but you're  speaking in general terms while addressing the guard position here, and I think that's faulty thinking. Neither of those guys were drafted to do that, moreso were centers in training. On top of that, when injuries occurred and it mandated their filling in to those situations both those moves were to left guard, a position that favorably is an interchangeable one with a center as their duties and makeup are very similar.  However, starting LG and a starting "plug and play" RG are not the same thing and far from it. Much as a center and a left guard are somewhat interchangeable, technique wise, a right guard and a right tackle are more so aligned. Coincidentally, it's that type of a player that ideally fits our #1 OL need...a right guard who can in a pinch fill in at RT should the need arise.

I know there have been some examples where a guard was interchangeable and he performed at an acceptable level, but I sure am not seeing it here. With that said, is that what we're willing to spend a 2nd round pick on and the best use of that pick...a guy who has never played that position and someone "projects" he can perform  there at an acceptable level? I think not. If it's agreed upon that our #1 need on the OL is a RG (or perhaps RT), why not draft a guy who's qualified and has a pedigree of performing well there, versus someone who a "respected head"  projects can play there, even though it's not his natural position and he doesn't fit the parameters of projecting well there?

Feel like I read  something from a pro oline coach with much insight to the fits and unfits in alighnment...

Thks for sharing your thoughts...

Btw. Your Right...

Just now, claptonrocks said:

Feel like I reading something from a pro oline coach with much insight to the fits and unfits in alighnment...

Thks for sharing your thoughts...

Btw. Your Right...

Thanks for the compliment, but I am hardly that, just a fan as we all are here. And any fan of Clapton is a good man to me!

2 minutes ago, bengaled said:

Thanks for the compliment, but I am hardly that, just a fan as we all are here. And any fan of Clapton is a good man to me!

No sir..your insight to the offensive line is 

exactly what fans need to know when building a cohesive unit..unison..

Im look8ng at this offense and i know full well that Taylor is going to use a spread offense ..

Your olineman will be in a zone blocking scheme..

Your ol8nemen should be zone blockers Not man on man..

No way in hell would Isaiah Wilson work in this system...hes straight man on man...

Theyll look for a very good pass protecting zone blocker in the draft..

Archived