1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

I disagree with that, of 32 teams in the league about 75% of them have QB's that were drafted in the first round. This year the Bengals have the first overall pick while the best player in the draft is a QB and it just so happens the Bengals could use an upgrade at that position...so why would you trade for a lesser player? 

They'd be trading for 3 players, and we don't know that they're lesser ones.

48 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

They'd be trading for 3 players, and we don't know that they're lesser ones.

I dpnt see same precision on third down throwing with  from Herbert or Love with pressure on them...

As someone said it seems the stars have aligned to for this to happen...

We take JB and lets go!

35 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Dalton played for a team thats first round OT pick was out for the season and the rest of the O line is bad, young or had a concussion.  Oh, and the last 3 high round Olinemen picked were utter shit.   Add in his #1 and #2 receivers were out most of the year and the team couldn't run the ball.  I do agree Dalton's horrible play on the defensive side of the ball is why they were the 29th ranked defense last year. 

Dalton has no trade interest because every team knows the Bengals are drafting Burrow.  Why take on a $17 mil contract when you can sign the guy for single digits after he is released?  Dalton is an a middle of the pack QB, has been most of his career, most teams are looking for the next Pat Mahomes but many will offer him a back up role once he is released. 

The best player in the draft is NOT a QB, but the best QB in the draft is Joe Burrow.  There is a difference. 

Lastly, our coaching staff sucks.  If you don't actually realize that I can't help you.  It took them half a season to figure out Joe Mixon is on the team.  Their hybrid 2 linebacker whatever was a disaster.   OJT is fine with guys with a real pedigree in major positions like OC and DC at the PRO level, Taylor was  QB coach.  

I do hope they draft Burrow and hopefully they surround him with the talent he needs.  I hope Green returns to form and John Ross actually stays healthy and lives up to his draft slot.  I hope Jonah Williams is actually good.  I hope the FAs they picked up were let go for cap reasons, not something else like Glenn. 

Until they win a playoff game, I won't buy in.  This is year 2 Zac Taylor, better do something and 6-10 aint it.  I simply am not giving Taylor a chance.  I have been asked to do this for 30 years and it never pans out. 

Wow...seems there's a lot of trauma going on here. 

Let's just say we disagree on many things, including Burrow and Dalton.

Burrow is the hands down best player in the draft and it's not even close. Chase Young is the only other guy I would consider but he disappeared in the playoffs and that's what put Burrow over the top for me.

And speaking of disappointing playoff performances....Andy Dalton didn't have a lot of help last year but he was a major contributor to 2-14 record. He displayed limited pocket awareness and mobility, poor accuracy on mid to long passes, and no moxie. No team in the NFL thinks Dalton is a legitimate starter and wants him to lead their franchise, great backup but never going to win the big game as a starter.

As for the coaching staff is concerned I think the jury is still out. Last year this staff was assembled late and the poor draft/injuries didn't help. Now that Coronavirus is changing life as we know it, they are once again hampered from having a full off-season.

Drafting Burrow gives Taylor a quality talent to develop and build an offensive scheme/ system around. Pairing Taylor with Burrow is the best move forward for the Bengals.

As for winning a playoff game before you buy in....lol...ok whatever. Did you ever buy in during Marvin's tenure? Because we all know he never won a playoff game, so what have you been holding onto for the last 30 years or so????

Like I said, it's a traumatic experience being a Bengals fan...so I understand your POV, but I don't agree.

7 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Burrow is the hands down best player in the draft and it's not even close. Chase Young is the only other guy I would consider but he disappeared in the playoffs and that's what put Burrow over the top for me.

And speaking of disappointing playoff performances....Andy Dalton didn't have a lot of help last year but he was a major contributor to 2-14 record. He displayed limited pocket awareness and mobility, poor accuracy on mid to long passes, and no moxie. No team in the NFL thinks Dalton is a legitimate starter and wants him to lead their franchise, great backup but never going to win the big game as a starter.

As for the coaching staff is concerned I think the jury is still out. Last year this staff was assembled late and the poor draft/injuries didn't help. Now that Coronavirus is changing life as we know it, they are once again hampered from having a full off-season.

Drafting Burrow gives Taylor a quality talent to develop and build an offensive scheme/ system around. Pairing Taylor with Burrow is the best move forward for the Bengals.

As for winning a playoff game before you buy in....lol...ok whatever. Did you ever buy in during Marvin's tenure? Because we all know he never won a playoff game, so what have you been holding onto for the last 30 years or so????

Like I said, it's a traumatic experience being a Bengals fan...so I understand your POV, but I don't agree.

I gave up on Dalton after the San Diego loss.  Utter piss down the leg moment. 

I gave up on Marvin the day Chris Henry was allowed back on the team and he accepted it like a $5 whore. 

I have been a Bengal fan since 1974.  Doesn’t mean I have to pretend Mike Brown is gonna fix things.   Fact is Taylor wins 6 or 7 games and he is back.  Get a wild card birth and he is set for another 3 or 4.  He could easily go 10 years with 3 or 4 near .500 seasons a few wild card appearances and no playoff wins. It’s the bar. 

15 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

You and SF have made good cases..

I can see both sides..

Im not looking back to the past..

Yws we could have sign ed a vet coach whos been in that old curcle for yesrs Or try something new and fresh with Taylor..

Last year was a feelin out process.

This year he's replaced and brought in better tacking and more speed on defense..

Hes going to have a better oline this season ..

Hes got his guy at QB...

Plus new players in the draft to make contributions to winning..

Im looking forard to whole new era

that Zach is bringing in...

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I gave up on Marvin the day Chris Henry was allowed back on the team and he accepted it like a $5 whore. 

I have been a Bengal fan since 1974.  Doesn’t mean I have to pretend Mike Brown is gonna fix things.   Fact is Taylor wins 6 or 7 games and he is back.  Get a wild card birth and he is set for another 3 or 4.  He could easily go 10 years with 3 or 4 near .500 seasons a few wild card appearances and no playoff wins. It’s the bar. 

And we would all be back in the bar...

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

That fumble was one of the worst plays I've ever seen, I like Dalton... great guy, but I don't want him as my starting QB. 

16 hours ago, SF2 said:

I get it.  Been a Bengals fan since I can remember.  My parents were season ticket holders at Nippert and I grew up going to games at Riverfront.  Maybe I'm a sucker, but when I see the Brown family doing some things differently, like signing decent FAs and potentially getting a franchise QB, I do get a little excited.  Maybe it'll be the same old shit, but maybe they will actually build a decent team.  Who knows.  I'm going  glass is  half-full at this point.

2 hours ago, saphead said:

I just went back and watched the highlights of that San Diego game. That stupid fumble followed by 2 horrible picks.  Wow. 

The Gio fumble right before HT didn't help any either.

You inspired me to do the same. Dalton looked good in first half, then the fumble in the 2nd half, then continued to piss down his leg. Protection wasn't great either. Every time you saw a completed Charger pass, Dre K. was in the area.

1 hour ago, Cat said:

You inspired me to do the same. Dalton looked good in first half, then the fumble in the 2nd half, then continued to piss down his leg. Protection wasn't great either. Every time you saw a completed Charger pass, Dre K. was in the area.

The worst part is we were never really out of it scoreboard wise in the second half but everyone could simply tell the team and coaching staff was completely melting down

23 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

As for the coaching staff is concerned I think the jury is still out. Last year this staff was assembled late

Yeah I thought that too but when they got the opportunity to make changes they instead announced they were keeping all of them.  They didn't even bother to interview a single possible upgrade.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Apparently Zach is good with them ...

For now..

Right, so the excuse that he was forced to take what he could get doesn't hold up.  If he wasn't happy with those hires he could have tried to replace them.

Just to put things in perspective here is what the Chargers received in the Eli Manning Trade:

The Chargers won that trade.  Granted the Giants won two Superbowls but Manning was never as good as Rivers and Merriman was a great player until he got hurt. . Kaeding was a good kicker too. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Right, so the excuse that he was forced to take what he could get doesn't hold up.  If he wasn't happy with those hires he could have tried to replace them.

I believe he was allright with them enough to keep them over since they have a clearer picture of what they had/have to work with..

You know I see the this young HC will a deameanor that shows cool collectiveness and a calming manner

Underneath that exterior may be a 

calculating hardness to make changes if he's not "allright" with any coach or player on the team..

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I believe he was allright with them enough to keep them over since they have a clearer picture of what they had/have to work with..

You know I see the this young HC will a deameanor that shows cool collectiveness and a calming naryre.

Underneath that exterior may be a 

calculating hardness to make changes if he's not "allright" with any coach or player on the team..

Taylor's saying all the right things but the Turner hire really made him look like a hypocrite.   I've not given up on him yet but I'm not buying all the rah-rah shit either.  He took over a 6-10 team and got them to 2-14.   Talk is cheap.

52 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Just to put things in perspective here is what the Chargers received in the Eli Manning Trade:

The Chargers won that trade.  Granted the Giants won two Superbowls but Manning was never as good as Rivers and Merriman was a great player until he got hurt. . Kaeding was a good kicker too. 

Manning won 2 Super Bowls, Giants won the trade 

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I thought that too but when they got the opportunity to make changes they instead announced they were keeping all of them.  They didn't even bother to interview a single possible upgrade.

They changed out the LB and DB coach, Golden is a good coach and Jackson has extensive experience

I think if there are the same issues with OL and other areas that haven't improved then there will be more turnover in the coaching staff next off-season.

8 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Yeah, not sure how Shaun Merriman and Nick Keading outweigh two Super Bowl victories. 

2 Super Bowl MVP's outweigh any stats that Rivers has accomplished.

If you look at it player by player SD won the trade.  The Giants did a better job of putting a better team around Eli, but Rivers was better than Eli and Merriman and Keading were good players.  Yes, the Giants won 2 SBs, but those had more to do with the team around Eli than Eli being great.  Eli was a good QB, not great.

Archived