Covid-19

bfine

28 minutes ago, bfine said:

I have 0 issues with measures being taken as I an well stocked, it's just the wife and I, and I can work from home without missing a paycheck. Folks not sure where their family's next meal is coming from may not be as big on a fan with forced quarantine 

I don't disagree. That's the point of having the temporary safety net so that we can keep people home but at least temporarily financially secure until this is over. 

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I dont think any one wants their individual liberties taken away permanently, but in the short term we need to be thinking about the good of the collective.

That's the catch, isn't it?  I agree it's necessary in the short term but I also know that once governments suspend certain rights it's quite possible those rights never come back.  The economic impact will prevent abuse to some extent but the Patriot Act seemed like a good idea at the time, too.  

People have done a lot of horrible shit for "the good of the collective".   Trump started referring to himself as a "war time president" almost immediately.  That should make anyone nervous. 

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That's the catch, isn't it?  I agree it's necessary in the short term but I also know that once governments suspend certain rights it's quite possible those rights never come back.  The economic impact will prevent abuse to some extent but the Patriot Act seemed like a good idea at the time, too.  

People have done a lot of horrible shit for "the good of the collective".   Trump started referring to himself as a "war time president" almost immediately.  That should make anyone nervous. 

Completely agree on all accounts. 

Here in Kentucky our governor is just making things worse.  Giving us no hope of things going back to normal. Just give us death numbers and keep extending the economic shutdown.   

Threatening to close parks and lakes.  Some roads to my favorite fishing spots have been blocked. 

Now they're going to limit how many people can go to Walmart or Kroger. That starts today. Going to cause a huge problem because those are the only places allowed open. People have no where else to go.  

I'm still on the fence with this shit. I said two weeks ago if I don't start seeing people getting sick and dropping dead in 2 weeks I'm call bullshit on the whole thing. Well its been two weeks. I'm give it 2 more. Btw there is over 6k people where I work and we still running so it's not like I'm saying this shit while living under a rock. 

On 4/3/2020 at 2:15 AM, GoBengals said:

to be completely honest i am just hoping i dont die

i have asthma and. a few other minor conditions that would have me at a significant risk. i havent left my house in over a week, but my wifes job is "essential", so 5 days a week someone is leaving the house and coming in some contact with 10 others, and coming home.

i think its possible that she, and both of my kids have already had it, all 3 got pretty sick early in march, all for about 7 days or so. I had my wife move into the guest bedroom, i have her coming home tossing clothes in washer and washing up before interacting with everyone..

my kids are in some important formative years, one will border on being good enough to play college sports, the other is going through adjusting to the middle school to soon be in high school transition, i dont want to die from this because we ordered some food out or we ran out of toilet paper or whatever the fuck yanks us into contact with the general public.

Stay safe...god bless

2 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

I assume most of yall are in Ohio. Supposedly one of the hardest hit states. What y'all seeing?  Sick people everywhere? Hospitals overrun? 

I don't believe its half as bad as California and new york/new england areas..

Mass population is getting hit hard..

Be safe ..

4 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Here in Kentucky our governor is just making things worse.  Giving us no hope of things going back to normal. Just give us death numbers and keep extending the economic shutdown.   

Threatening to close parks and lakes.  Some roads to my favorite fishing spots have been blocked. 

Now they're going to limit how many people can go to Walmart or Kroger. That starts today. Going to cause a huge problem because those are the only places allowed open. People have no where else to go.  

I'm still on the fence with this shit. I said two weeks ago if I don't start seeing people getting sick and dropping dead in 2 weeks I'm call bullshit on the whole thing. Well its been two weeks. I'm give it 2 more. Btw there is over 6k people where I work and we still running so it's not like I'm saying this shit while living under a rock. 

Hang in there. It's kind of a lose-lose. If you try to be optimistic about the situation you are classified as "not taking it seriously" if folks don't like you as a lawmaker. If you err on the sign of caution about the situation you are classified as "over-blowing the situation". The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. 

As I mentioned earlier: I'm a lucky one. No underlying health conditions, I draw a pension from the military, I currently work as a DOD civilian and can work from home almost as effectively as in the office, I live just outside a Military base so I can shop in a controlled environment, I am well supplied, I am well armed, and I only have to fend for me and the wife. So I can ride it out for quite some time.

I feel for the young couple trying to fend for their families, I fear for the elderly who have to risk their lives to get milk and bread, I fear for those on the front lines that must risk death to keep us supplied. 

On 4/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, bfine said:

No that's not bias. Bias is more like applauding one person while condemning another when the basically are doing the same thing. 

They are not doing the same thing.

5 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

I said two weeks ago if I don't start seeing people getting sick and dropping dead in 2 weeks I'm call bullshit on the whole thing.

Beshear's measures are intended to keep that from happening.  What you require as proof presupposes his failure, which is kind of funny if you think about it. 

4 hours ago, CincyInDC said:

They are not doing the same thing.

Of course they aren't.  This "What-about" stuff is their general strategy.  

1. Plan on doing something illegal/immoral

2. Loudly accuse opponent of doing that thing until it becomes the narrative

3. Do the thing

4. If caught, fall back on the "both sides!" bullshit even if the other side never did anything of the sort

Oddly enough, this was a tactic perfected by cold war Soviet propaganda.  Not that the current administration has any connections to that, of course.

+_ae12bfa1b3b96efcb17d6dc0e2069c83.jpg

5 hours ago, CincyInDC said:

Beshear's measures are intended to keep that from happening.  What you require as proof presupposes his failure, which is kind of funny if you think about it.

Andy B. is handling this in a very competent way; he has been calm, non-partisan, and an effective leader under these difficult circumstances. In turn, he's been both gentle and stern when appropriate and has adopted measures in a proactive way which will save many lives. I'm guessing that the majority of Kentuckians are happy with how he has been governing and thank their lucky stars that that unhinged lunatic Bevin is not in power. I know I am.

Remember when we met for dinner at the Hofbrauhaus some years ago? The pal who came with me that night died of ARDS, which in many ways resembles how Covid-19 progresses. It is an absolutely horrific way to die; he went from feeling "really tired" to being dead in roughly ten days. It was gruesome: he couldn't breathe, was induced into a coma, his organs shut down, they needed to put him on kidney dialysis but couldn't because simply putting him on dialysis would have killed him--and at the end he was bloated to a point of almost non-recognition. (I posted about it here when it happened and I sure miss him and the occasional BBQs we had on Bengals Sundays.)

So, my behavior has been informed by my understanding of how my friend died, multiplied out by the tens of 1,000s (soon to be over 100,000 and who knows how many before this is under control.) I'm grateful for the courage of medical and other people on the front lines and who are laboring under trying circumstances. Especially considering that the responses of a significant portion of our so-called leadership have been bumbling and downright evil at times. There is a special place in Dante's Hell for that louche galoot in the White House and His Merry Band of Grifters. And many Democrats in DC are no better, either. We are in the middle of an economic breakdown crisis, precipitated by this white (not black) swan event, but the seeds of this disaster go way way back. And as I suggested it would be back during the 2007-8 crisis, this time it is worse because those dipshits didn't fix problems of their own creation, instead focusing on rebuilding Frankenstein. And they are doing it again.

Go, my heart and thoughts go out to you and to everyone here and their families.

53 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

2esegq.jpg

Your replies are about as constructive as Acosta's "questions".

The post you just quoted doesn't even reference POTUS' actions. It simply pointed out the how some would rather cause divisiveness than concern themselves with a solution...hey sorta like your reply. Save your hate.  

1 hour ago, bfine said:

Your replies are about as constructive as Acosta's "questions".

The post you just quoted doesn't even reference POTUS' actions. It simply pointed out the how some would rather cause divisiveness than concern themselves with a solution...hey sorta like your reply. Save your hate.  

I don't know if I've ever heard an ostensibly grown man whine as much as him, let alone a POTUS.  Golly it's almost like the position comes with intense scrutiny and criticism?  Every other thing he says is "wahh unfair" and "the Democrats" or the "fake news media" and blah blah fucking blah everyone is out to get him.  He's a textbook malignant narcissist and nothing is ever his fault.  Every perceived slight against him is the worst miscarriage of justice in history, but any accomplishment he can possibly claim credit for is also the greatest thing ever.  It's childish and embarrassing. 

So yeah, listening to you constantly parrot the same sort of "The Left" bogeyman apologia is becoming tiresome and contributes nothing.  If it's not just trolling whatever greater point  you're trying to make is entirely lost on me.

also :lmao: at calling anyone "divisive" when his entire base was built on demonizing various groups of people while crybullying with a constant victim "endangered white people" narrative.  Did we ever win the "War on Christmas"?  Don't throw gasoline on simmering racial/religious tensions & then call for unity when it suits you. 

8 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I don't know if I've ever heard an ostensibly grown man whine as much as him, let alone a POTUS.  Golly it's almost like the position comes with intense scrutiny and criticism?  Every other thing he says is "wahh unfair" and "the Democrats" or the "fake news media" and blah blah fucking blah everyone is out to get him.  He's a textbook malignant narcissist and nothing is ever his fault.  Every perceived slight against him is the worst miscarriage of justice in history, but any accomplishment he can possibly claim credit for is also the greatest thing ever.  It's childish and embarrassing. 

So yeah, listening to you constantly parrot the same sort of "The Left" bogeyman apologia is becoming tiresome and contributes nothing.  If it's not just trolling whatever greater point  you're trying to make is entirely lost on me.

also :lmao: at calling anyone "divisive" when his entire base was built on demonizing various groups of people while crybullying with a constant victim "endangered white people" narrative.  Did we ever win the "War on Christmas"?  Don't throw gasoline on simmering racial/religious tensions & then call for unity when it suits you. 

That's an impressive, albeit rambling, string of words; you even managed to bring race into it. Of course it did absolutely nothing to address the topic at hand. As to "an ostensibly grown man" whining; I think your post has given POTUS a run forhis money. 

1 hour ago, bfine said:

As to "an ostensibly grown man" whining; I think your post has given POTUS a run forhis money. 

Good thing I'm just some jackass on an internet forum and not President of the United States then, huh?  Of course if I were, I'd have you to protect me.  TYFYS.

5 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Ky fish & wildlife were at the boat ramp today running off fisherman from Ohio and Indiana.  

I'm just like wtf.  Is that serious? A couple of guys on a boat out on the lake? Like seriously

KY Fish and Wildlife should consider doing that regularly to keep the Ohio Navy from clogging up I-75 on the weekends.  Don't they have lakes in Ohio? 

On 4/4/2020 at 8:54 PM, Homer_Rice said:

Andy B. is handling this in a very competent way; he has been calm, non-partisan, and an effective leader under these difficult circumstances. In turn, he's been both gentle and stern when appropriate and has adopted measures in a proactive way which will save many lives. I'm guessing that the majority of Kentuckians are happy with how he has been governing and thank their lucky stars that that unhinged lunatic Bevin is not in power. I know I am.

Remember when we met for dinner at the Hofbrauhaus some years ago? The pal who came with me that night died of ARDS, which in many ways resembles how Covid-19 progresses. It is an absolutely horrific way to die; he went from feeling "really tired" to being dead in roughly ten days. It was gruesome: he couldn't breathe, was induced into a coma, his organs shut down, they needed to put him on kidney dialysis but couldn't because simply putting him on dialysis would have killed him--and at the end he was bloated to a point of almost non-recognition. (I posted about it here when it happened and I sure miss him and the occasional BBQs we had on Bengals Sundays.)

So, my behavior has been informed by my understanding of how my friend died, multiplied out by the tens of 1,000s (soon to be over 100,000 and who knows how many before this is under control.) I'm grateful for the courage of medical and other people on the front lines and who are laboring under trying circumstances. Especially considering that the responses of a significant portion of our so-called leadership have been bumbling and downright evil at times. There is a special place in Dante's Hell for that louche galoot in the White House and His Merry Band of Grifters. And many Democrats in DC are no better, either. We are in the middle of an economic breakdown crisis, precipitated by this white (not black) swan event, but the seeds of this disaster go way way back. And as I suggested it would be back during the 2007-8 crisis, this time it is worse because those dipshits didn't fix problems of their own creation, instead focusing on rebuilding Frankenstein. And they are doing it again.

Go, my heart and thoughts go out to you and to everyone here and their families.

Andy's opinion polls on his job are very good.  In reality, his job of keeping Kentucky safe is IMHO overinflated.  Studies on cell phone gps information shows that people are overwhelmingly not staying at home and not keeping a safe social distance.  Lip service out of his office is not helping.  Elective procedures are allowed to continue even when there's a known shortage of PPE, etc...  Calls to his office, staff, and minions remains unanswered.

With all that I just mentioned, I will say that he does manage to calm down some of the worry worts.  Remaining calm is a major key IMHO and that's a good thing he's promoting.  It's just that I believe this process has much room for improvement.

Nice to hear from you Homer.  Have a wonderful day and stay safe.

On 4/4/2020 at 11:23 AM, Catfish Bob said:

I assume most of yall are in Ohio. Supposedly one of the hardest hit states. What y'all seeing?  Sick people everywhere? Hospitals overrun? 

Ohio this week will hit the peak without overwhelming hospitals 

https://www.cleveland.com/coronavirus/2020/04/university-of-washington-latest-projection-says-ohio-will-reach-coronavirus-peak-this-week-without-overwhelming-hospitals.html?utm_campaign=clevelanddotcom_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2DaQEYU17iCnkAdQWFpUw0vkDqmmSqGusJuHNdgq4PHxJnc1D-Fi_NF0U

I'm not a Republican, but the governor there handled this better than most states.

I'm also not a Democrat, though I lean on the Bernie Sanders spectrum, but my Governor in VA is a moron and has handled this badly. 

Though not as bad as some of these Southern Governers.

19 hours ago, Numbers said:

Andy's opinion polls on his job are very good.  In reality, his job of keeping Kentucky safe is IMHO overinflated.  Studies on cell phone gps information shows that people are overwhelmingly not staying at home and not keeping a safe social distance.  Lip service out of his office is not helping.  Elective procedures are allowed to continue even when there's a known shortage of PPE, etc...  Calls to his office, staff, and minions remains unanswered.

With all that I just mentioned, I will say that he does manage to calm down some of the worry worts.  Remaining calm is a major key IMHO and that's a good thing he's promoting.  It's just that I believe this process has much room for improvement.

Nice to hear from you Homer.  Have a wonderful day and stay safe.

I'm a conservative, generally speaking; and I can say I am impressed with Beshears' leadership during this time. Now if we could only get folks to follow the recommendations. 

On 4/3/2020 at 2:15 AM, GoBengals said:

to be completely honest i am just hoping i dont die

i have asthma and. a few other minor conditions that would have me at a significant risk. i havent left my house in over a week, but my wifes job is "essential", so 5 days a week someone is leaving the house and coming in some contact with 10 others, and coming home.

i think its possible that she, and both of my kids have already had it, all 3 got pretty sick early in march, all for about 7 days or so. I had my wife move into the guest bedroom, i have her coming home tossing clothes in washer and washing up before interacting with everyone..

my kids are in some important formative years, one will border on being good enough to play college sports, the other is going through adjusting to the middle school to soon be in high school transition, i dont want to die from this because we ordered some food out or we ran out of toilet paper or whatever the fuck yanks us into contact with the general public.

Hang in there Ryan. I'm in similar, but worse circumstances. I'm not going to list my issues, but I'll just say that even before this pandemic hit, the reality of my mortality has been tapping on my shoulder for a while.

I'm not going to weigh in on the political debates, I just want to wish everyone the best possible outcome for you and your families. We have to hope an effective treatment is found and implemented soon, there are some promising things being tried now, and hopefully a vaccine is developed in the not too distant future.

Best of luck everyone, we're all going to need it.

Archived