Dolphins fan here: You guys interested in Trading down?

MrChadRico

On 4/3/2020 at 2:31 PM, SF2 said:

Yes, MrChadRico, I would love to trade.  I want the #5, #18, #39 and your second first round pick for next year.  Don't listen to all these "Get off My Lawn" grumpy old men with their ball sacks hanging around their knees.  

ef18e3a96f509efdc9ca865c6b6d5792.jpg

Wouldn't hate it personally but there would be riots.   I would be shocked if they trade down.   This FO is known for taking the path of least resistance in much more questionable circumstances.  Drafting Burrow is a no-brainer which is helpful when the brain trust has been a bit lacking.

Thank you guys for your feedback. 

From the sounds of it, you guys are sold on Burrow and I cant blame you. I would want him too. 

Hopefully both of our teams land a franchise QB this year. The draft is a crap shoot but Burrow seems like the real deal.  I'm not sold on Tua, Herbert and Love but it sounds like I'm gonna have to support one of them going forward. 

At least Brady is out of our conference, we can all celebrate that. 

PS the hot chick from Pittsburgh photo had me lmao

On 4/5/2020 at 5:05 PM, MrChadRico said:

Thank you guys for your feedback. 

From the sounds of it, you guys are sold on Burrow and I cant blame you. I would want him too. 

Hopefully both of our teams land a franchise QB this year. The draft is a crap shoot but Burrow seems like the real deal.  I'm not sold on Tua, Herbert and Love but it sounds like I'm gonna have to support one of them going forward. 

At least Brady is out of our conference, we can all celebrate that. 

PS the hot chick from Pittsburgh photo had me lmao

It would be crazy and stupid not to take the deal that you suggested. Why not help multiple aspects of the team instead of just QB? And Burrow will be a bust or at least a big disappointment. Mark my words. And bengal fans and the entire sports universe will blame the bengals for lack of development.

Also, sorry you had to get so many asshole replies to a very well-stated and legitimate question. Fans are swept up in the Burrow hysteria and get really pissed off at any suggestion that he won't be a bengal. Even if it means that we would get a bunch of picks for him.  And ironically, it's a lot of the same fans that are still bitching and moaning about Mike Brown not taking the Saints deal over 20 years ago.

And last, I can't stop laughing at the idiots that are saying the fact that the dolphins are willing to give up that much means that he is too valuable to trade. They don't get the whole trade concept. There wouldn't be any trades if owners looked at every trade offer like that. 

3 hours ago, Hooky said:

It would be crazy and stupid not to take the deal that you suggested. Why not help multiple aspects of the team instead of just QB? And Burrow will be a bust or at least a big disappointment. Mark my words. And bengal fans and the entire sports universe will blame the bengals for lack of development.

Also, sorry you had to get so many asshole replies to a very well-stated and legitimate question. Fans are swept up in the Burrow hysteria and get really pissed off at any suggestion that he won't be a bengal. Even if it means that we would get a bunch of picks for him.  And ironically, it's a lot of the same fans that are still bitching and moaning about Mike Brown not taking the Saints deal over 20 years ago.

And last, I can't stop laughing at the idiots that are saying the fact that the dolphins are willing to give up that much means that he is too valuable to trade. They don't get the whole trade concept. There wouldn't be any trades if owners looked at every trade offer like that. 

Why would it be crazy not to take a deal? He didn't specify exactly what the Dolphins were offering but we need a QB upgrade. Burrow is that and a pretty clean prospect. If you think we should sign Winston or Newton instead of drafting a QB fine. If you think we should pass on Burrow to take Herbert, that's crazy.

On 4/4/2020 at 8:23 PM, T-Dub said:

Wouldn't hate it personally but there would be riots.   I would be shocked if they trade down.   This FO is known for taking the path of least resistance in much more questionable circumstances.  Drafting Burrow is a no-brainer which is helpful when the brain trust has been a bit lacking.

Exactly, this front office had 11 picks last year screwed that up...taking Drew Sample in the 2nd round...if not for Pratt coming on late in the season it would have been a complete bust. 

The last thing this front office needs is more picks, just more opportunities to screw it up.

Take the player most likely to succeed, the best QB prospect in recent history...who happens to be from Ohio and actually likes the chili...

9 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Exactly, this front office had 11 picks last year screwed that up...taking Drew Sample in the 2nd round...if not for Pratt coming on late in the season it would have been a complete bust. 

The last thing this front office needs is more picks, just more opportunities to screw it up.

Take the player most likely to succeed, the best QB prospect in recent history...who happens to be from Ohio and actually likes the chili...

Actually, he said that he doesn't like the chili. Ther was even an article about it. It was big news. Not really big news, but news.

As far as your philosophy about the picks, that's too asinine to deserve a response. Not to mention whiny. What's the point in rooting for a team when you just assume that they're only going to make stupid decisions? They've made some pretty good FA decisions. Orcwere those stupid too?

On 4/12/2020 at 8:23 AM, Hooky said:

Actually, he said that he doesn't like the chili. Ther was even an article about it. It was big news. Not really big news, but news.

As far as your philosophy about the picks, that's too asinine to deserve a response. Not to mention whiny. What's the point in rooting for a team when you just assume that they're only going to make stupid decisions? They've made some pretty good FA decisions. Orcwere those stupid too?

I thought he was more of Gold Star guy. As for the FA moves, Reader and Bell are solid acquisitions. I think they overpaid for McKenzie and Waynes.

As for asinine, trading away an opportunity to draft a franchise QB that literally had the best season in CFB is definitely that....but you're obviously just smarter than everyone else. 

I'm sure that smart guys like you know that it's extremely difficult and rare to acquire a QB that is talented enough to win a Superbowl. I'm sure that a card carrying member of MENSA like yourself knows that there are only 6 Super Bowl winning QB's in the Super Bowl era that were signed as free agents. Basically, if you want to win a Super Bowl you HAVE to draft one or get extremely lucky and have a legendary defense.

For a franchise that wants to win a Super Bowl you take the once in a lifetime talent at the most important position in the game... it's pretty simple if you think about it. A bunch of picks are good, but getting one great player is better.

On 4/11/2020 at 4:56 PM, Hooky said:

Likely we will be hearing about our two teams doing this trade until Burrow is taken off the board 9 days from now. So I thought I would come back and chat a little more with you fine lads and ladies. 

Hooky, I'm curious about your assessment on Burrow being a bust? Can you tell me what about his game makes you think this way?

I've spent months and months looking at these QBs. These are my thoughts as we sit here 9 days away from the draft on all 4 top QB prospects. 

Burrow : pro comparison: Chad Pennington 

- I have Burrow as the #1 QB and player in the draft. He has elite level pocket awareness, very mobile with great escapablity. He is a natural leader but has a very big personality which could cause some lockerroom issues if the team is not doing well, but ultimately this isnt a big concern of mine.  

Burrows extremely accurate on short and medium routes, up there with some of the best in this area i.e. Chad Pennington, Peyton Manning. 

My only concern on Burrow is his arm strength. Just yesterday I watched all of Burrows TDs in 2019 and the one thing i noticed was missing from the highlights was a pass in the air that traveled over 50 yards. On most of Burrows throws his arm seems to max out at around 45-50 yards and on alot of Burrows deep TDs the WR had to come back go the ball and bail him out, often wrestling the ball away from a defender. 

Ultimately I only see Burrow being a bust if his personality and ego get so big he becomes a lockerroom problem, which again i dont think happens. His arm strength doesnt bother me, many QBs who dont have a Cannon have been very successful in this league. 

If I had to rate Burrow as a prospect 1 out of 10, I would give him a 9.5, I think he will make probowls and can win championships if put in the right situation. Top of 1st round talent.

Tua - Pro Compairison Steve Young or Sam Bradford. 

Tua possesses a very well rounded game. Hes mobile, hes a great leader, hes got a strong arm and is very accurate, which is why I compare him to Young. 

Tua would probably be the #1 QB in my mind if he didnt have the injury concerns.  I am one of the very few Dolphins fans that's scared to take Tua. His body seems very brittle and I have very little confidence Tua can endure a 16 game season very often. If I had to guess, Tua's career could mirror Sam Bradford's, high ceiling talent who just cant maintain his health. I'm worried Tuas body simply isnt built to play in the NFL. 

Rating 8.5 out of 10. Loses a full point for injury concerns, would be 9.5 if he didnt have the medical concerns. High to mid 1st round talent.

Herbert - pro comparison Ryan Tannehill

Herbert, looks like perfect QB on paper. He has the height, speed, arm strength and measurables GM's in this league have salivated over for decades. He has all the tools on paper. 

Until you turn on the tape.... then, not so much.  Herbert is one of those guys that looks amazing one minute and then leaves you scratching your head at the end of the game when you realize he didnt get a 1st down for 5 drives in a row, threw for only 1 TD and 1 INT and lost the game. 

I dont think Herbert is good at reading defenses and often doesnt see wide open wide recivers. In a perfect system, with a stout running game and lockdown defense, Herbert can make the playoffs, just like Tannehill did last year, but when push comes to shove and the game is on the line, Herbert, just like Tannehill, wont get it done. 

Herbert's score 7.8. Lack of consistency and reading defenses hurts his score alot.  2nd round talent. 

Love - pro comparison Dak Prescott

I think Love has the chance to be a very solid NFL QB. He is probably the best athlete at the QB position in this draft. He has the strongest arm and has tons of potential. 

But potential is not production. In 2019 Love had alot of poor performances and often was inaccurate throwing the football. 

Love is a gamble and will need by far the most coaching up out of any of these QBs in the top 4. 

Score 8.2 out of 10. Raw talent, isnt ready right away but could be special if put in the right system and is allowed to learn for a year from the sidelines. Mid to late 1st round grade. 

Ultimately, I'm firmly in the camp that a QB prospects success hinders most importantly by the surrounding cast and good coaching. If your Oline sucks, your young QB will get his confidence destroyed and be a bust in no time.  Look at all the Clevland QBs over the years, sure some were actual busts, but I would bet alot of them would have had much different careers if they went to a more stable and talented organization. 

Cheers!

I have no idea what the Dolphins would be willing to give up. 

The talk is three 1st's this year #5,#18,#26 and another 1st or 2nd rounder in 2021. 

Personally, I wouldnt trade that for Burrow. The #5, #18 and next years 1st is where I would draw the line. 

6 minutes ago, MrChadRico said:

Personally, I wouldnt trade that for Burrow. The #5, #18 and next years 1st is where I would draw the line. 

But he’s Chad Pennington, remember? Why would you or anyone else give up that much for a guy like that? 

I dont think you realize how good Pennington was. Plus this is a comparison of their game styles.  No where did I say Burrow was Pennington, like your suggesting. He played on a crap Jets team and took them to the playoffs constantly. He had pinpoint accuracy. Go look at his stats if you dont remember. 

9 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Lol Chad Pennington wasn’t a franchise QB, he was John Kitna. 

Nah man, Pennington way more accurate 66% to 60% and didn’t throw picks. Retired as the most accurate QB in NFL history.   QB rating lifetime was 90 vs Kitna’s 77.  2nd to Peyton in MVP voting in 2008.  AP comeback player of the year twice.  Couldn’t stay healthy.  He was a very good QB but had Sam Bradford disease. 

Gimme a break with this crap. Pennington was a very average, noodle-armed QB that rarely threw the ball downfield. He had a few good years much in the same way that Andy Dalton has, but in no way, shape or form will either one of them ever be regarded as anything more than mediocre. Not even close to the standard of "franchise QB".

Comparing Burrow to Pennington is an insult to Joe Burrow. 

Dave Kreig, Rich Gannon, Brian Sipe, Eric Kramer, Andy Dalton, Case Keenum, Chad Pennington....they all had their moments and they're all pretty much in the same class. Solid guys for sure but none of them ever had the potential of being true franchise-type QB's. 

Archived