Rest of Offseason outside of the Draft

The Rest of the offseason

QB:

I am hopeful that we just have a bit of a waiting game on Dalton. At this point doing right for Dalton and doing right for the Bengals is likely the same thing. Wait until someone get’s anxious around the draft when they don’t land their guy(Patriots, Jaguars and Chargers), or wait until camp/early season when a veteran on a contender falls to injury. I have a hard time believing he isn’t a better option than Jarret Stidham, Tyrod Taylor or Gardner Minshew.

Once the chips fall on Dalton the team might just rest with what they have, a move I deem to be shortsighted. The backup QB market is still rich, and rich with guys who have ties to the team.

Connections to Staff

Matt Moore-KC 32 career starts including 2 last year. (Played for Taylor with Dolphins)

Trevor Siemian-Jets 25 career starts (Played for Callahan with Broncos)

Brandon Allen-Broncos 3 career starts (Played for Taylor with the Rams)

Other group

Josh McCown-Eagles 76 career starts

Mike Glennon-Raiders 22 career starts

Cody Kessler-Patriots 12 career starts

Josh Johnson-XFL 8 career starts, played for Bengals in 2013

RB:

They need more bodies at RB but they are most likely to come from the scrapheap later on in the offseason. Theo Riddick has ties to both Callahan and Golden and could be a great signing. Ty Montgomery is in a similar hybrid RB/WR mold. At this point we are just looking for depth and bargains.

WR:

The team is loaded here but it’s mostly short term guys. In a deep WR draft, there is little chance we get out of the draft without grabbing a guy so free agency doesn’t make much sense. I hope it’s just one and not in the first three rounds. There are too many needs along the OL and LB to give up a 2nd rounder for a WR. Especially when if things go well we want both AJ Green and John Ross for 2021.

TE:

Like QB, I think TE is a bit of a waiting game. The team invested a bunch in Drew Sample through the draft and paid a bunch to CJ Uzomah but could use a third guy to round out the group. Clive Walford is currently available and he played for Golden at University of Miami. More interesting are two guys with Ohio ties and upside. I assume that Cincinnati will be an intriguing spot for Free Agents because there isn’t a clear starter. Both Jeff Heuerman and Adam Shaheen are potential cuts with Ohio ties who were drafted early and still have some chance to blossom at a position where players tend to hit later in their careers.

OL:

Frustratingly I think they stand pat on the line but there is talent to be had to add depth. At Guard there are several veteran options that would immediately compete for time and provide depth. It would be hard to argue that adding Jason Peters and Michael Schofield for depth and their 13 and 16 starts just last year wouldn’t go a long way to making people feel more comfortable about the line next year. Schofield can play both RT and RG and Peters is a stud.

LG

Mike Iupati-Seahawks (15/129 60.3) 32

Ronald Leary-Denver (12/76 58.4) 30

RG

Earl Watford-Bucs (4 starts in 2019, 25 career starts 64.9 PFF rating) 29

Micheal Schofield-Chargers (16/66 63.6, played for Callahan in Denver) 29

Kenny Wiggins-Lions (3/38 61.8, played for Golden in Detroit) 31

Micheal Person-49ers (14/48 61.8) 31

Patrick Omameh-Saints (1/57 58.5) 30

At tackle there are a bunch of veterans that could be solid depth as well.

LT

Jason Peters-Eagles (13/195 82.8) 37

Kelvin Beachum-Jets (13/99 67.1) 30

Donald Penn-Redskins (15/189 64.1) 36

RT

Demar Dotson-Bucs (15/106 71) 34

Jared Veldheer-Packers (0/113 64.1) 32

Marshall Newhouse-Patriots (9/81 62.5) 31  

DL:

We could still use a pass rusher to go with our other 3 but there are still DTs to be had that could make an impact although we have depth there.

At DT there are some very big names still available in Corey Liuget, Marcell Dareus, Damon Harrison and Mike Daniels. Anarumo also coached Jordan Jenkins in Miami and Golden coached Muhammed Wilkerson at Temple. My personal favorite would be Adam Gotsis who I think can be active and make an impact at end in a 3-4.

At Edge there are two that are so obvious that I am surprised they are not already on the roster. Vinny Curry is from Cincinnati and played for Duffner in Tampa. He’s older but could be solid in a rotation. Anthony Chickilo has produced in spots and played lots of special teams. He played for Golden at University of Miami.

LB

Like OL, LB is a spot where they really should be signing more talent. And there is an obvious one at the top. Nigel Bradham would obviously be in our top 3 current LBs and he is coming off a 73.9 PFF coverage grade. I am always a big fan of Will Compton as well. He consistently gets asked to do more than what he is originally brought in for and can play special teams. There are a bunch of underperforming guys who would be worth an offseason flyer as well, Darron Lee, Alec Ogletree (played for Anarumo) and Mark Barron. Adding Bradham and then two of the guys off that list with the expectation that both won’t make the final roster and the position is greatly improved.

S

At safety there are three groups that we should look at. The first is a group that have ties to our coaches. Rontez Miles played for Jackson, Mike Thomas played for Anarumo in Miami and with the Jets, Walter Aikens played for Anarumo in Miami and Kurt Coleman played with Colt Anderson on the Eagles. The second group are a couple guys who could play the LB/S hybrid in Kehmal Ishmael and Ibreham Campbell. The third group and probably the least likely with the Bell signing, is long term starters in Eric Reid, Rashad Jones and Morgan Burnett.

CB

We signed 5 CBs in the offseason and I assume they stand pat there.

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Panthers just re-signed McCafferry for $16M per year for 4 years....Mixon may cost us more than many think

Doubtful. There's no way the Bengals pay him anything close to that. If that's the money he's looking for,time to draft a replacement.

14 hours ago, Sox said:

Doubtful. There's no way the Bengals pay him anything close to that. If that's the money he's looking for,time to draft a replacement.

They haven’t let the particulars of that contract out yet.  It might be way less in REAL in my hands money.  Peter Warrick’s rookie contract was enormous on paper but he never hit any of the big incentives.  7 year $42 mil in 2000. 

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

They haven’t let the particulars of that contract out yet.  It might be way less in REAL in my hands money.  Peter Warrick’s rookie contract was enormous on paper but he never hit any of the big incentives.  7 year $42 mil in 2000. 

For good reasons...

I liked Warrick. I really believe that if he'd been able to play his entire career with Palmer, people would look at him a lot differently. He was always solid when he had someone capable of getting him the ball. 

15 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I liked Warrick. I really believe that if he'd been able to play his entire career with Palmer, people would look at him a lot differently. He was always solid when he had someone capable of getting him the ball. 

He was also ahead of his time in the NFL.  In today's game he'd be a beast.

He was a legit top 10 pick in that draft. The problem wasn’t where they took him, the problem was in taking that position period. They had no business taking anything other than a OT in that spot. Maybe a pass rusher. Definitely not a WR though.

On 4/9/2020 at 12:17 AM, MichaelWeston said:

The Rest of the offseason

QB:

I am hopeful that we just have a bit of a waiting game on Dalton. At this point doing right for Dalton and doing right for the Bengals is likely the same thing. Wait until someone get’s anxious around the draft when they don’t land their guy(Patriots, Jaguars and Chargers), or wait until camp/early season when a veteran on a contender falls to injury. I have a hard time believing he isn’t a better option than Jarret Stidham, Tyrod Taylor or Gardner Minshew.

Once the chips fall on Dalton the team might just rest with what they have, a move I deem to be shortsighted. The backup QB market is still rich, and rich with guys who have ties to the team.

Connections to Staff

Matt Moore-KC 32 career starts including 2 last year. (Played for Taylor with Dolphins)

Trevor Siemian-Jets 25 career starts (Played for Callahan with Broncos)

Brandon Allen-Broncos 3 career starts (Played for Taylor with the Rams)

Other group

Josh McCown-Eagles 76 career starts

Mike Glennon-Raiders 22 career starts

Cody Kessler-Patriots 12 career starts

Josh Johnson-XFL 8 career starts, played for Bengals in 2013

RB:

They need more bodies at RB but they are most likely to come from the scrapheap later on in the offseason. Theo Riddick has ties to both Callahan and Golden and could be a great signing. Ty Montgomery is in a similar hybrid RB/WR mold. At this point we are just looking for depth and bargains.

WR:

The team is loaded here but it’s mostly short term guys. In a deep WR draft, there is little chance we get out of the draft without grabbing a guy so free agency doesn’t make much sense. I hope it’s just one and not in the first three rounds. There are too many needs along the OL and LB to give up a 2nd rounder for a WR. Especially when if things go well we want both AJ Green and John Ross for 2021.

TE:

Like QB, I think TE is a bit of a waiting game. The team invested a bunch in Drew Sample through the draft and paid a bunch to CJ Uzomah but could use a third guy to round out the group. Clive Walford is currently available and he played for Golden at University of Miami. More interesting are two guys with Ohio ties and upside. I assume that Cincinnati will be an intriguing spot for Free Agents because there isn’t a clear starter. Both Jeff Heuerman and Adam Shaheen are potential cuts with Ohio ties who were drafted early and still have some chance to blossom at a position where players tend to hit later in their careers.

OL:

Frustratingly I think they stand pat on the line but there is talent to be had to add depth. At Guard there are several veteran options that would immediately compete for time and provide depth. It would be hard to argue that adding Jason Peters and Michael Schofield for depth and their 13 and 16 starts just last year wouldn’t go a long way to making people feel more comfortable about the line next year. Schofield can play both RT and RG and Peters is a stud.

LG

Mike Iupati-Seahawks (15/129 60.3) 32

Ronald Leary-Denver (12/76 58.4) 30

RG

Earl Watford-Bucs (4 starts in 2019, 25 career starts 64.9 PFF rating) 29

Micheal Schofield-Chargers (16/66 63.6, played for Callahan in Denver) 29

Kenny Wiggins-Lions (3/38 61.8, played for Golden in Detroit) 31

Micheal Person-49ers (14/48 61.8) 31

Patrick Omameh-Saints (1/57 58.5) 30

At tackle there are a bunch of veterans that could be solid depth as well.

LT

Jason Peters-Eagles (13/195 82.8) 37

Kelvin Beachum-Jets (13/99 67.1) 30

Donald Penn-Redskins (15/189 64.1) 36

RT

Demar Dotson-Bucs (15/106 71) 34

Jared Veldheer-Packers (0/113 64.1) 32

Marshall Newhouse-Patriots (9/81 62.5) 31  

DL:

We could still use a pass rusher to go with our other 3 but there are still DTs to be had that could make an impact although we have depth there.

At DT there are some very big names still available in Corey Liuget, Marcell Dareus, Damon Harrison and Mike Daniels. Anarumo also coached Jordan Jenkins in Miami and Golden coached Muhammed Wilkerson at Temple. My personal favorite would be Adam Gotsis who I think can be active and make an impact at end in a 3-4.

At Edge there are two that are so obvious that I am surprised they are not already on the roster. Vinny Curry is from Cincinnati and played for Duffner in Tampa. He’s older but could be solid in a rotation. Anthony Chickilo has produced in spots and played lots of special teams. He played for Golden at University of Miami.

LB

Like OL, LB is a spot where they really should be signing more talent. And there is an obvious one at the top. Nigel Bradham would obviously be in our top 3 current LBs and he is coming off a 73.9 PFF coverage grade. I am always a big fan of Will Compton as well. He consistently gets asked to do more than what he is originally brought in for and can play special teams. There are a bunch of underperforming guys who would be worth an offseason flyer as well, Darron Lee, Alec Ogletree (played for Anarumo) and Mark Barron. Adding Bradham and then two of the guys off that list with the expectation that both won’t make the final roster and the position is greatly improved.

S

At safety there are three groups that we should look at. The first is a group that have ties to our coaches. Rontez Miles played for Jackson, Mike Thomas played for Anarumo in Miami and with the Jets, Walter Aikens played for Anarumo in Miami and Kurt Coleman played with Colt Anderson on the Eagles. The second group are a couple guys who could play the LB/S hybrid in Kehmal Ishmael and Ibreham Campbell. The third group and probably the least likely with the Bell signing, is long term starters in Eric Reid, Rashad Jones and Morgan Burnett.

CB

We signed 5 CBs in the offseason and I assume they stand pat there.

Good work. obviously well though out. A couple points:

Parting ways with Andy is onto beneficial to the Bengals if we get an early 3rd or better. Outside of that he's beet to stay as mentor/backup and then we wouldn't need another QB. Andy-Burrow-Ryan on the active. Dolegala on PS.

Depending on health I think we're good on RB. maybe a mid-round flier. The Anderson kid has real promise but Tyler Eifert laughs at him for getting hurt too much.

TE if we mold the Offense around Burrow we don't need a blocking TE, we need a receiving TE. Delanie Walker and Jordan Reed would be great in a limited role

They literally can not afford to keep dalton at his current salary under the cap- him staying as a mentor only works if he agrees to a re-structure and a significant paycut. Dehner and Morrison went over that in detail on their pod for this week. He’s either dealt or cut.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

They literally can not afford to keep dalton at his current salary under the cap- him staying as a mentor only works if he agrees to a re-structure and a significant paycut. Dehner and Morrison went over that in detail on their pod for this week. He’s either dealt or cut.

First off; Dehner's a hack just looking for an audience. If anyone has kept track they'd see he just kinda makes stuff up. The latest Joe Mixon will sit out is the latest.Why anyone listens to anything he says is beyond me. If he had even a clue of what he was talking about Andy would be elsewhere by now and we's have a 1-2 rd pick. 

Secondly, teams can always "massage" the cap and Andy doesn't need to be the one to restructure if it even came to that.  

34 minutes ago, spicoli said:

serious question...when have the Bengals ever "massaged" the cap? 

I can't think of any recently; it appears they do well at structuring contracts.

2 Sirius questions from me:

When wa the last time the Bengals were in a position to take an historically great QB and be this active in FA?

What were you thoughts on what the Bengals would do in FA before this window opened?

30 minutes ago, bfine said:

I can't think of any recently; it appears they do well at structuring contracts.

2 Sirius questions from me:

When wa the last time the Bengals were in a position to take an historically great QB and be this active in FA?

What were you thoughts on what the Bengals would do in FA before this window opened?

Carson Palmer comes to mind..

Physically gifted..6'5 235lbs arm like a rocket..

His shortcoming was leadetship bigtime.

Accuacy issues as well..damn he threw high alot..

Maybe the nagging by his receivers wore him down..maybe he was never a leader ..

JB is a gifted passer that has traits on leadership and confidence Palmer never had..

Free agency no...this year is unprecedented...by far..

I think they see a light with JB...

Now protect him!

40 minutes ago, bfine said:

I get your point but it's just really hard to imagine them getting creative with the cap....it's simply not in their DNA. 

14 minutes ago, bfine said:

Is spending early and big in FA in their DNA? 

No it never has bren but this is a new decade..a new era...

Negotisting contracts will be Mikes..

The rest will fall on Katy and her staff..with Zachs input..they trust this coaches opinion..

The new era Bengals will be exciting. If nothing else..

26 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

No it never has bren but this is a new decade..a new era...

Negotisting contracts will be Mikes..

The rest will fall on Katy and her staff..with Zachs input..they trust this coaches opinion..

The new era Bengals will be exciting. If nothing else..

One of my happiest moments this off season is I have not heard or seen one quote or comment from the dweeb Troy Blackburn.  He seemed to be the official front office talking head and also more involved with contracts the past few years.  Some one neutered him so far this season.

8 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

One of my happiest moments this off season is I have not heard or seen one quote or comment from the dweeb Troy Blackburn.  He seemed to be the official front office talking head and also more involved with contracts the past few years.  Some one neutered him so far this season.

Katy ...shes always abided by her dads 

decisions but he mode of to improve this team is the Now Era..

Shes going yo turn this around ..along with Zach and JB..

• 2 weeks later...

(as good a place as any to put this)

Two waiver wire pickups... camp fodder?  Assuming there is a camp to fodder from?

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-acquire-samaje-perine-and-austin-calitro-on-waivers

The Bengals today acquired two players on waivers — HB Samaje Perine from Miami, and LB Austin Calitro from Jacksonville.

Perine (5-11, 240), a fourth-year player out of Oklahoma, originally was a fourth-round draft pick of the Washington Redskins in 2017. He has played in 28 career games (eight starts), and has 188 rushes for 651 yards and a TD, along with 25 catches for 187 yards and a TD. He was with the Bengals for a majority of last season, and spent time on both the active roster and practice squad before being signed off the practice squad by Miami prior to the season finale.

Calitro (6-0, 240), a third-year player out of Villanova, originally was a college free agent signee of the Jets in 2017, and later spent time with 49ers, Seahawks, Browns and Jaguars. He has played in 29 career games (nine starts), and has 85 tackles, 1.5 sacks and two PDs.

Archived