Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
MichaelWeston

Rest of Offseason outside of the Draft

Recommended Posts

On 4/15/2020 at 5:22 PM, membengal said:

They literally can not afford to keep dalton at his current salary under the cap- him staying as a mentor only works if he agrees to a re-structure and a significant paycut. Dehner and Morrison went over that in detail on their pod for this week. He’s either dealt or cut.

 

I just do not think this is factually correct.

 

Spotrac has us $3 mil over with Andy, AJ on the franchise, and all the picks.

 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/#

 

If we waived, Redmond + one of Erickson, Carter, or Tupou we'd be under.

 

And if AJs deal ends up being $14 mil this year instead of $17, we are under.

 

The idea that we HAVE to get rid of Andy because CAP is just factually wrong. Stop listening to people that say that, they do not know what they are talking about.

 

Now, wether we SHOULD release him, and use that money on extensions, or FAs, is another question. 

 

But if we decide to start the season with Andy on the roster & see if injuries create a market, the cap is not a real problem.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the draft, we were about 7 mil under. Signing the rookies will cost about 12 mil total. But the team also would like to have some cushion to sign replacements for injured players inseason and also like to be able to pick up a mid-priced vet or two if the opportunity presents itself. We can potentially save money on longer term deals for Green and WJ3. But Mixon is in line for a substantial raise. 

 

So yes, we do need to cut or move Dalton. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Before the draft, we were about 7 mil under. Signing the rookies will cost about 12 mil total. But the team also would like to have some cushion to sign replacements for injured players inseason and also like to be able to pick up a mid-priced vet or two if the opportunity presents itself. We can potentially save money on longer term deals for Green and WJ3. But Mixon is in line for a substantial raise. 

 

So yes, we do need to cut or move Dalton. 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, IsaacCurtis:TheReal#85 said:

 

I just do not think this is factually correct.

 

Spotrac has us $3 mil over with Andy, AJ on the franchise, and all the picks.

 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/#

 

If we waived, Redmond + one of Erickson, Carter, or Tupou we'd be under.

 

And if AJs deal ends up being $14 mil this year instead of $17, we are under.

 

The idea that we HAVE to get rid of Andy because CAP is just factually wrong. Stop listening to people that say that, they do not know what they are talking about.

 

Now, wether we SHOULD release him, and use that money on extensions, or FAs, is another question. 

 

But if we decide to start the season with Andy on the roster & see if injuries create a market, the cap is not a real problem.

 

It was factually correct. They couldn't afford him with the FA spending. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, membengal said:

It was factually correct. They couldn't afford him with the FA spending. 

 

 

 

Dude, no it was not. Follow link. Read.

 

Some guys tweet isn't proof of anything.

 

That might be your problem right there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IsaacCurtis:TheReal#85 said:

 

Dude, no it was not. Follow link. Read.

 

Some guys tweet isn't proof of anything.

 

That might be your problem right there.

 

 

I can't believe you are arguing this but the team couldn't afford to keep Dalton and do their other business. Little things like signing Burrow, extending Mixon and WJ3. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

 

I can't believe you are arguing this but the team couldn't afford to keep Dalton and do their other business. Little things like signing Burrow, extending Mixon and WJ3. 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a look at the jersey numbers for the Bengals draft picks and several undrafted free agents: 

And here are the numbers for several players signed in traditional free agency: 

As of Friday morning, safety Vonn Bell, defensive tackle D.J. Reader and offensive guard Xavier Su’a-Filo have yet to be assigned numbers.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sparky151 said:

 

I can't believe you are arguing this but the team couldn't afford to keep Dalton and do their other business. Little things like signing Burrow, extending Mixon and WJ3. 

 

1. Burrow is already built in, and so are the signing bonuses for the rooks. We were $3 mil over.

2. We do not have to extend Mixon this year. Tag him next. WJ3 extension can wait too.

3. We may save cap space on a Green or WJ3 extention, though not for Mixon. 

4. These things are certainly easier with Dalton off the books, but could still be accomplished with releasing other players or a combination of other guys (Redmond, Carter, Erickson, Gio, etc). And do not have to be done this year at all (save for AJs deal, whick likely comes in under $17 mil and saves us space this year anyhow). That is a total strawman argument.

 

Your whole argument has moved. At first you were saying we HAD to cut Dalton because we were over the cap. I said this was nonsense, as we were minimally over and could cut a couple of other guys (say Redmond and Carter) and still be under. Cutting Andy because of cap concerns was never necessary. 

 

Now, does unloading him make things easier, cap and extention wise? Absolutely. Does it free up more cash to splash on sone vet FAs if we choose? Lord I hope so (Jason Peters, Delaine Walker). Did it ever make sense to pay a backup QB $17.7 million? Hell no!

 

But none of that was what we were talking about. We weren't talking about SHOULD we cut Andy (yes, we should have). We were talking about did we HAVE to? Because cap (no we did not).

 

One thing I will agree with is that it is silly to argue it further. Point is moot. He is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops, correction, I thought Mixon had 1 more year. No tag possible next year.

 

Still, I am not big on paying RBs $10 mil a year, especially if they are 2 down backs. If he won't take a reasonable deal, let him play it out & walk. Take the comp pick, and go get a stud lineman and pay him $10-15 mil.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IsaacCurtis:TheReal#85 said:

Oops, correction, I thought Mixon had 1 more year. No tag possible next year.

 

Still, I am not big on paying RBs $10 mil a year, especially if they are 2 down backs. If he won't take a reasonable deal, let him play it out & walk. Take the comp pick, and go get a stud lineman and pay him $10-15 mil.

 

 

 

Agreed.  There is a reason RB's rarely go in the early stages of round 1.  Paying big money to RB's rarely works out and the team writing the check almost always regrets it.  Todd Gurley is a good example.  You can sign a serviceable RB off of the waiver wire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IsaacCurtis:TheReal#85 said:

Oops, correction, I thought Mixon had 1 more year. No tag possible next year.

 

Still, I am not big on paying RBs $10 mil a year, especially if they are 2 down backs. If he won't take a reasonable deal, let him play it out & walk. Take the comp pick, and go get a stud lineman and pay him $10-15 mil.

 

 

 

An argument can be made that Mixon is a critical piece to the offense for the first Burrow contract. To take the pressure off both Burrow and the OLine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2020 at 3:26 PM, IsaacCurtis:TheReal#85 said:

 

 

 

Now, wether we SHOULD release him, and use that money on extensions, or FAs, is another question. 

 

But if we decide to start the season with Andy on the roster & see if injuries create a market, the cap is not a real problem.

 

The answer is yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was zero chance Dalton stayed at $17 million plus to sit on the bench.  Sure, it was possible,  but this organization and this owner was never going to allow it to happen.  The money freed up should lead to another signing or extension.   Burrow's contract is a huge advantage that creates a window to spend more on the rest of the roster, which they've done this off season. It would've been a waste to have a backup QB at that price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, membengal said:

It’s free access for 90 days so...

If you were to ever consider paying for sports content, The Athletic is the best I've seen.  Great coverage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

If you were to ever consider paying for sports content, The Athletic is the best I've seen.  Great coverage. 

Correct. It’s tremendous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 1:47 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

An argument can be made that Mixon is a critical piece to the offense for the first Burrow contract. To take the pressure off both Burrow and the OLine. 

 

True, but name the last Super Bowl winner with a $10 mil RB?

 

The Pats? Nope. Chiefs? Nope. Eagles? Nope. Saints? Nope. Been a while. Unless I am forgetting someone.

 

The fact is, behind a good offensive line, slightly above average guys will look like borderline Pro-Bowlers (see Dalton, Andy). A great offensive line, and Pro-Bowlers will look like all-timers (see Aikman, Troy).

 

Behind a poor offensive line , pro-bowlers often look like crap.

 

I like Mixon as a player, but we can get 80%-90% of him for 25% of the cost. There are Swift/Dobbins/Taylor types coming out every year. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...