Mixon Holdout?

Seems to incentivize getting something done with AJ. If you get his cap number lowered and Dalton off the books, there’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to reup Mixon.

We should, especially while the market value of RB’s is in the proverbial toilet.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Didn't see a topic for this yet.  Paul Dehner Jr  today reported Mixon is prepared to hold out without a new contract.  CBA changes apparently make it very difficult and the Bengals aren't known for giving in to threats.  Unfortunately it could get ugly.

Howd that workout for Arizona and the Rams??

Both.Todd  Gurley and David Johnson signed bigtome contracts and where are they now? 

Huge investment on a player that carries. 275-300 times when 11 players are after your legs..

3 years at 27mil..15mil guarantee..

Puts him in top tier but not outrageous..

When Mike signs a player hes loyal to it and exoects the same...

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/4/15/21222688/nfl-rumors-bengals-joe-mixon-contract

The newly passed Collective Bargaining Agreement, which Mixon was adamantly against, also hurts Mixon’s leverage. If he doesn’t report to the first day of training camp, he will sacrifice an accrued year in the league, meaning he won’t be eligible for free agency in 2021. Our friend Andre Perrotta helped explained that for us.

Joe Mixon has absolutely no leverage to holdout. New CBA removed even the tiny leverage players like him previously had. He won’t earn an Accrued Season toward FA if he fails to report by 1st day of TC (2011 CBA allowed for plyr to report no later than 30 days before Reg Season)

— Andre Perrotta (@andreperrotta13) April 15, 2020

6 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Joe is a nice RB that I would put in the top 10 but not a top 5 RB.  Bengals gave the kid a chance drafting him after punching a woman in the face after many did not even want him in the league.  Threatening the Brown family with a hold out in public likely won't go over well.

I think on a pure talent basis he is a top 5 back. He is a good receiver out of the backfield, the Bengals for some reason haven’t used him that way. 

I agree he's top 10 but not top 5. He's earned an extension and financial security. He deserves a 3 or 4 year extension averaging 9 mil or so per year in new money, and with at least 25% up front as signing bonus.  They can afford to wait though until it becomes clearer if there will be a season or not. They probably need to get Green's extension (or not) resolved and Dalton off the books before they extend Mixon and WJ3. 

Is there a quote from Mixon saying he is prepared to hold out? Or is this another article based on speculation? There probably has been and will be a lot of fabricated stories to make up for not having games to report on.

1 minute ago, Hooky said:

Is there a quote from Mixon saying he is prepared to hold out? Or is this another article based on speculation? There probably has been and will be a lot of fabricated stories to make up for not having games to report on.

All rumors right now but there was chatter that the team is negotiating with both AJ and Mixon and is 'further ahead' on the AJ contract.

1 minute ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

All rumors right now but there was chatter that the team is negotiating with both AJ and Mixon and is 'further ahead' on the AJ contract.

So why is he reporting that Mixon is prepared to hold out? Rhetorical question. If Mixon didn't say anything, then Dehner's making shit up. You can't believe anything you read.

I really like Mixon but I'm not giving him big money if I'm the Bengals. It seems to me that the best way to handle that position is to draft a guy, use the shit out of him for the life of his rookie contract and then simply start the process all over again with a new guy when his contract expires. They're in good shape even if he holds out this year but I'd definitely let him walk when the season is over and get a guy in the draft next year. Nothing personal against Mixon, it's just the nature of the beast in today's NFL.

58 minutes ago, Hooky said:

So why is he reporting that Mixon is prepared to hold out? Rhetorical question. If Mixon didn't say anything, then Dehner's making shit up. You can't believe anything you read.

Mixon's agent is probably stirring the pot.  Mixon can deny later if he thinks it is to his advantage.

26 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Mixon's agent is probably stirring the pot.  Mixon can deny later if he thinks it is to his advantage.

Old data, but Peter Schaffer was his agent listed in '17. I don't remember him as being a provocateur, but I could be wrong. But you are likely right about his agent putting it out there. Nothing wrong with leaking the idea  and then gauging the reaction.

Mixon is a very nice player and still pretty young.  Only has 693 rushing attempts  so far in his career which is a much lower usage rate than guys like Bell and Elliot had.  Why they don't use him more in the passing game is a mystery to me but if that is the type of offense Taylor plans on running then there is NO reason to give him a big contract.  45 targets last year?  To put it in perspective most of the top backs had way more which is crazy because Mixon is a damn good receiver.   Add in a dump pass to an RB is effective against a pass rush and well..., doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Dalvin Cook: 63 tgts

Zeke Elliott:  71 targets

Saquon Barkley: 73 

Le'Veon Bell: 78

Alvin Kamara: 97 

Leonard Fournette: 100

McCaffrey: 142

57 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Mixon is a very nice player and still pretty young.  Only has 693 rushing attempts  so far in his career which is a much lower usage rate than guys like Bell and Elliot had.  Why they don't use him more in the passing game is a mystery to me but if that is the type of offense Taylor plans on running then there is NO reason to give him a big contract.  45 targets last year?  To put it in perspective most of the top backs had way more which is crazy because Mixon is a damn good receiver.   Add in a dump pass to an RB is effective against a pass rush and well..., doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Dalvin Cook: 63 tgts

Zeke Elliott:  71 targets

Saquon Barkley: 73 

Le'Veon Bell: 78

Alvin Kamara: 97 

Leonard Fournette: 100

McCaffrey: 142

McCaffery with 142 targets jeez..

2400 yrds from scrimmage ..jeez

Dude earned a Huge contract ..

Still overpaid some though...

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Maybe that's why we signed Jarquez Patrick, out of Florida State. Played some XFL ball this year. He's a bruiser. 6'3' 231.

highlight real that I found, Meh. Check out the play at 3:06, Jessie Bates catches him from behind for the tackle. I'm more  hopeful for Anderson and WIlliams.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Maybe that's why we signed Jarquez Patrick, out of Florida State. Played some XFL ball this year. He's a bruiser. 6'3' 231.

Was looking back at combine analysis..

He is brutish..

One trick pony though..

He runs straight ahead..tries to bull over tacklers.. 

Hardy any moves ...if at all..

Goal line runner naybe..

????

4 hours ago, Sox said:

The new CBA doesn't really let you hold out.I believe it's something like if you don't report 30 days before the regular season,you don't get credit for the year essentially giving the Bengals an extra year.

No, if you don’t report for the first day of official training camp you don’t get credit for the season. The rule under the former CBA was 30 days before the season started.  They probably should have studied the new CBA more. 

Archived