Andy Dalton Interview

25 minutes ago, SF2 said:

They are basically negotiating on behalf of the Bengals and Dalton and his agent can not magically make his CURRENT $17mil contract go away.  

Sure they can...by cutting him.

...and you admit that your statement: “He [Dalton] and his agent can’t negotiate anything” is not accurate, since you reference “negotiating” in your reply?

17 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Andys made a zillion bucks throwing here..

Maybe he can backup for a few years at

7 mil or so ..

Maybe this whole thing is a marketing rouge to rid his salary for something...

Katy and Zach have talked about this Im sure..

Like I said dumping Williams and Bernard plus our 3rd pick for Thuney would be tremendous for JB...

Daltons contract would go to signing valuable vets ie Jackson and Mixon..

I can’t see him reworking his contract down to $7mil a year here  How many years?  Also, he is going to want some guaranteed money. As you said, he has made plenty of money,  

I am sure Dalton has been watching this free agency period and asking himself why didn’t they do this the last 4 years?   

25 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Sure they can...by cutting him.

...and you admit that your statement: “He [Dalton] and his agent can’t negotiate anything” is not accurate, since you reference “negotiating” in your reply?

Dalton can’t cut himself.  Sure he can try and convince a team to take on his $17 mil and give the Bengals a pick or two but that isn’t really negotiating or realistic. 

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I can’t see him reworking his contract down to $7mil a year here  How many years?  Also, he is going to want some guaranteed money. As you said, he has made plenty of money,  

I am sure Dalton has been watching this free agency period and asking himself why didn’t they do this the last 4 years?   

Sign him 1yr 7mi as a. mentor/backup..

If he gets a chance to play and does well then he negotiates his own terms in 2021..

They didnt do that in the past because 

Its a new era for them..

Katy is in charge and Zach has input in alot of areas imo..

Theyre sprnding money and i believe this draft will make them competitive with any team in the division..

Build a line...and they will produce...

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Dalton can’t cut himself.  Sure he can try and convince a team to take on his $17 mil and give the Bengals a pick or two but that isn’t really negotiating or realistic. 

Sorry, I misread your post.  😕

I would guess my only concern with keeping Dalton vs cutting him is that if something would happen to Burrow, we do have to play the stealers and we know how they go after our QB's. If Burrow would get injured, we might as well go the a wishbone offense with Mixon, Gio and whomever is left, because at this point we have crap for a backup QB. Dalton may not be superman, but regardless of what a lot of folks say, he is a decent QB. Last year was not good, he couldn't hit anything. However after the benching, Andy played much better and actually looked like he remembered how to play QB in this league. If he would restructure is contract to something more reasonable as a backup, I'd be ok with it.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 11:38 AM, membengal said:

Dalton only stays if he does a major restructure of his contract. And if he does, that takes the they-can’t-afford-him point off the table. But up til now, dalton had not indicated being willing to do that . He also had not indicated being okay with backup. If those two things have changed, then him staying becomes possible.

Did you not read the article above?  He literally stated there's scenarios where he would return, even with "taking a quarterback".

"I truly believe they want what's best for me, but I understand it's a business, and you know how that goes," Dalton said. "With the first pick, if they take a quarterback like everyone expects, that could trigger something. There's even a scenario where I go back there."

Archived