The Official 2020 First Round Draft Thread!

23 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

oh.. I agree... but that kid [Queen] will be great and be killing us for years 

...you mean a guy from LSU’s defense that said that Burrow always made them look bad in practice...?

😎

RB! Another Bayou Bengal! Another weapon for KC!

Well, my happy board is down to:

1) Baun

2) Pittman

3) Jones

Good with McKinney, Winfield, Epenesa, or Gross-Matos.

I do not want Higgins or Mims. Would not trade down more than 3-4 spots.

Dream scenario: take Pittman, sign Jason Peters in FA. 

Super dream scenario: Thuney or Trent Williams trade, Dalton trade, take Pittman.

10 minutes ago, soundstreamer said:

Sure hoping the Bengals trade down now.  Moving down a few picks would still likely net them a good OT just don't want any of the WR's.

Josh Jones won't last...maybe not even one pick. The #5 tackle on most everyone's board all offseason and a projected mid first round pick. If they're even considering taking him they can't trade down.

7 minutes ago, IsaacCurtis:TheReal#85 said:

RB! Another Bayou Bengal! Another weapon for KC!

Well, my happy board is down to:

1) Baun

2) Pittman

3) Jones

Good with McKinney, Winfield, Epenesa, or Gross-Matos.

I do not want Higgins or Mims. Would not trade down more than 3-4 spots.

Dream scenario: take Pittman, sign Jason Peters in FA. 

Super dream scenario: Thuney or Trent Williams trade, Dalton trade, take Pittman.

Weird, I would be thrilled with either mims or Higgins. I don’t want any of those defenders you listed.

2 minutes ago, Sox said:

Unless the Bengals get an offer that blows them away,as much as I like Mims,my worthless vote is Josh Jones.Either one would make me happy.

They had him at Senior Bowl. As much as I love Pittman, I think we go Jones, which I get. He is on the medal stand for guys I would want.

I'd actually like to see us try to use #65 plus a later pick to try to get back into the 2nd to get a WR before they all disappear if it looks like a run is happening (Pittman, Mims, Higgins, Shenault, Hamler, Claypool).

11 minutes ago, IsaacCurtis:TheReal#85 said:

They had him at Senior Bowl. As much as I love Pittman, I think we go Jones, which I get. He is on the medal stand for guys I would want.

I'd actually like to see us try to use #65 plus a later pick to try to get back into the 2nd to get a WR before they all disappear if it looks like a run is happening (Pittman, Mims, Higgins, Shenault, Hamler, Claypool).

Willing to wait a year at receiver.  I'd rather have someone like Gay (if he's still there) over a wideout.

3 minutes ago, bengaled said:

They would be crazy if they pass on Josh Jones. This kid was PFF's top rated pass blocking tackle last year, if I am not mistaken. Not in a million years could they have envisioned him being available here. This is no time to get greedy!

See Ed-we can agree on something. 🙂

17 minutes ago, IsaacCurtis:TheReal#85 said:

Yes they did and here's one of the writeups.

MOBILE, Alabama -- Houston offensive tackle Josh Jones has submitted himself as a "best player at the Senior Bowl" candidate with two strong showings to begin the week of practices here, and on Wednesday he was downright dominant. 

The 6-foot-7, 310-pound rock of a blocker effortlessly thwarted everything defensive linemen threw at him in one-on-one drills with a phenomenal display of knee bend, power in his upper half, and mirroring skills thanks to high-end athleticism. 

It didn't matter if it was a speed rush to the outside, an inside counter, a bull rush, or a swipe move, Jones stymied everything all afternoon for the North squad. 

In what is the best and most deep offensive tackle class, the experienced left tackle with room to add more weight to his tall frame has emerged as a first-round possibility, and he might even be in the running to be the second or third tackle off the board in April. He's that much of a prototype for his position and has been that much of a standout to start Senior Bowl week.

The 2020 NFL draft is less than 80 days away, and it is typically around this time of year when certain draft prospects find themselves on the hype train. This year is no different. One player who is seeing their stock soar after an impressive week in Mobile, Alabama for the Reese’s Senior Bowl is Houston Cougars’ offensive tackle, Josh Jones.

The offensive tackle group for the 2020 NFL Draft is a deep class, and it is absolutely loaded at the top. Prospects such as Georgia’s Andrew Thomas, Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs, Louisville’s Mekhi Becton, and Alabama’s Jedrick Wills are the top prospects at the position. However, there is plenty of buzz in the scouting community on Jones.

Jones played his high school ball at George Bush High School in Richmond, Texas. He was ranked as a three-star prospect by ESPN, Rivals, and Scout. Rivals ranked him as the 63rd offensive tackle nationally and the 81st player in the state of Texas. His recruiting process ended up with him receiving 13 offers, ultimately choosing the University of Houston.

After redshirting his freshman season in 2015, Jones would go on to have 45 starts at left tackle for the Cougars during his four-year tenure. During this time period, Jones’ durability was on display, as he only missed two games during his four seasons at Houston. Both of the games he missed took place in 2017. Jones’ journey at Houston led him to being named a team captain for a brilliant 2019 season, as he only allowed four pressures during the entire year.

Strengths

The first thing you notice when looking at Jones is his impressive size. Standing 6’5″ and weighing in at 311 pounds, Jones also possesses impressive arm length of 33 5/8th”, which is a key trait in the draft community. Jones has impressive length and he uses it well, allowing him to anchor the edge effectively.

Jones moves well in space, has impressive athleticism, quick feet, and plays with a nasty demeanor. He has great mobility, allowing him to reach blocks at the second level with ease. His initial punch is something that will catch your attention. However, he needs to improve his hand usage overall.

In the clip below, Jones’ mobility and athleticism are on full display, as he pulls to the right and reaches his block:

Josh Jones (Houston LT 74) pulling to the right and picking up the linebacker.

Embedded video

The clip below will highlight Jones’ quick feet and ability to use his length to set the edge:

There’s not enough buzz around Houston OT Josh Jones right now.

Really love his combo of quick feet and length that allow him to really control the edge. Very good mover in space. Took a step up this year with his hands too.

Top 50 player for me.

Embedded video

Weaknesses

As mentioned above, while Jones possesses an impressive initial punch, his hand usage needs some refinement. Too often, he allows defenders to get into his body by chopping his hands away. Coaching will be crucial for his development, as his technique could use a great deal of improvement.

There are times where Jones tends to get lazy with his mechanics, so finding consistency in his game will be paramount. From a football IQ standpoint, Jones could benefit from watching more tape, as he seems to have some trouble identifying blitzes.

The video below will show a rep where Jones’ hand usage is poor, allowing Utah’s Bradlee Anae to beat him:

Anae’s cross chop beat Josh Jones. This Utah edge rusher has had a nice week, he’s more ready to impact than some edges getting more hype

Embedded video

Senior Bowl

Prior to Senior Bowl week, Jones was considered a second-round prospect for the 2020 NFL Draft, but a strong performance in Mobile may have catapulted him into the first round. Jones was the best offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl, and joins a group consisting of Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert, Dayton tight end Adam Trautman, Utah pass-rusher Bradlee Anae, and St. John’s offensive tackle Ben Bartch as the top performers in Mobile. Jones wasn’t spectacular on the first day of Senior Bowl practices, but from day two forward, he was dominant.

Last week in my article, I named North Carolina Tar Heel defensive lineman Jason Strowbridge as one of the biggest risers for the 2020 NFL Draft. In the clip below, he is pancaked by Jones during a one-on-one rep:

Here is a rep where Jones uses his feet, athleticism, and length to stonewall Syracuse pass-rusher Alton Robinson:

Final Thoughts

There is no doubt that the Houston prospect needs some work, but he is an ascending draft prospect with a high ceiling. His performance in 2019, paired with a strong showing at the Senior Bowl, may have cemented Jones as a first-round selection in the 2020 NFL Draft. His stock could potentially soar even more, as the NFL Scouting Combine is an event where Jones’ outstanding athleticism could generate even more buzz.

There are many teams in the league who are looking for help on the offensive line and should hold Jones in high regard, such as the Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos, and Cleveland Browns. As it stands today, Jones is my fifth-ranked offensive tackle. He is a player that should hear his name called as a top-25 selection in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Rank Player Position School Year Height Weight
1 Andrew Thomas OT Georgia JR 6″5 320 lbs.
2 Tristan Wirfs OT Iowa JR 6″5 320 lbs.
3 Jedrick Wills OT Alabama JR 6″5 315 lbs.
4 Mekhi Becton OT Louisville JR 6″7 355 lbs.
5 Josh Jones OT Houston SR 6″7 311 lbs.
6 Austin Jackson OT USC JR 6″6 306 lbs.
7 Lucas Niang OT TCU SR 6″7 328 lbs.
8 Isaiah Wilson OT Georgia JR 6″7 340 lbs.
9 Prince Tega Wanogho OT Auburn SR 6″7 308 lbs.
10 Trey Adams OT Washington SR 6″8 316 lbs.
11 Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State JR 6″6 310 lbs.
12 Ben Bartch OT St. John’s SR 6″6 305 lbs.

Looked close at Jones over night and he's grown on me  If we stay at 33 (and I hope we do) he'd be my pick.  Jones & Gay would make me very happy tonight.   Got a sneaking suspicion that we add at least one more pick by the end of the evening.

Archived