* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

27 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

QB is the most important position on the team, if you have the chance at getting a great QB, you pull the trigger. It is much easier to build around a great QB than later. We just witnessed 9 years of pretty good teams with a mediocre QB unable to win at the next level. Do we want to waste another 9 years doing that again?

Burrow needs to be the pick.

Yep, anytime you have a shot at someone who might be a generational QB you take it.  

27 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

QB is the most important position on the team, if you have the chance at getting a great QB, you pull the trigger. It is much easier to build around a great QB than later. We just witnessed 9 years of pretty good teams with a mediocre QB unable to win at the next level. Do we want to waste another 9 years doing that again?

Burrow needs to be the pick.

couldn't agree more

Hell, the brownholes spent more than a decade trying tho find a franchise qb (and might still be looking!) I wasn't all in on a qb change at all this year but here we are and have the opportunity of a lifetime.

I can't remember ever being this excited about a draft pick (and I'm 63). Go ahead and turn the card in today.

3 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

couldn't agree more

Hell, the brownholes spent more than a decade trying tho find a franchise qb (and might still be looking!) I wasn't all in on a qb change at all this year but here we are and have the opportunity of a lifetime.

I can't remember ever being this excited about a draft pick (and I'm 63). Go ahead and turn the card in today.

I was pretty excited about drafting Carson Palmer.

But something about Burrow who doesn't have the elite arm that Carson did, is different. He has the mental makeup of a QB that I think can win at the next level and maybe even end up better than Palmer.

36 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yep, anytime you have a shot at someone who might be a generational QB you take it.  

Exactly. The very reason there are rumors that teams are offering multiple picks for this years #1 is for the shot at a franchise QB.  If this was a year with no clear franchise prospect QB, there would be little talk about big trades (and we would probably draft Young).

Mikey loves QB's, Mikey loves bell cow QB's, Mikey will love the fact Burrow is local and will bring in fans. There is ZERO chance of a trade IMHO.

If I am Miami or Carolina, I look to Tua (assuming enough health evidence is available) and keep all the other picks or most of them. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

On a scale of 1 to 10, one National Football League scout was asked: How would you rate the passing skills demonstrated by Illinois quarterback Jeff George during recent workouts?

''I would rate him a 12,'' said the scout, one of two dozen or so who converged on the junior-eligible rookie combine in Indianapolis last weekend. George performed in front of 15 NFL scouts in Champaign last week. He reportedly unleashed passes of 80 yards to Illinois teammate and pro prospect Mike Bellamy, as well as snappy timing-touch tosses that caught the eyes of the evaluating contingent.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I was pretty excited about drafting Carson Palmer.

But something about Burrow who doesn't have the elite arm that Carson did, is different. He has the mental makeup of a QB that I think can win at the next level and maybe even end up better than Palmer.

Shortly after Palmer was drafted, a friend of mine told me that some NFL teams had concerns over Palmer's personality and his ability to be a leader.  I believe he proved to be a good leader, but Burrow could be the next level type of leader, like a Tom Brady or Drew Brees.  In the 2nd quarter of the Championship game they showed him on the bench and he had that 'in the zone' face.  I was most impressed how he overcame a tough start and an apparent injury to win a game on the biggest stage.  I am so pumped about this guy!

14 minutes ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

Yeah well guess what. Those 50/50 balls he likes to throw up won’t cut it in the NFL with the Bengals especially. How many 50/50 balls has these receivers caught for Dalton.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Oh I am not disagreeing that we need to address our WR core either, hell we have alot of things to address . But you do not not take the QB that can change things once you get him the tools to do so.

Andy Dalton is not that guy, he never has been, Joe Burrow has the chance to be.

But let me guess, you are still all in on Chase Young right?

(I really can't take Buckeye homers seriously)

3 minutes ago, Jet23 said:

Shortly after Palmer was drafted, a friend of mine told me that some NFL teams had concerns over Palmer's personality and his ability to be a leader.  I believe he proved to be a good leader, but Burrow could be the next level type of leader, like a Tom Brady or Drew Brees.  In the 2nd quarter of the Championship game they showed him on the bench and he had that 'in the zone' face.  I was most impressed how he overcame a tough start and an apparent injury to win a game on the biggest stage.  I am so pumped about this guy!

Completely agree. I don't think Burrow has the physical abilities that Palmer had, but I watched him dissect what that Clemson D was doing to him and readjust to it and that was the #1 D in the nation.

Burrow may not be the most physically gifted as far as arm strength but his arm strength is better than Daltons imo, but where he shines is in the mental game. I've never felt like Palmer or Dalton were elite in that category.

9 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

On a scale of 1 to 10, one National Football League scout was asked: How would you rate the passing skills demonstrated by Illinois quarterback Jeff George during recent workouts?

''I would rate him a 12,'' said the scout, one of two dozen or so who converged on the junior-eligible rookie combine in Indianapolis last weekend. George performed in front of 15 NFL scouts in Champaign last week. He reportedly unleashed passes of 80 yards to Illinois teammate and pro prospect Mike Bellamy, as well as snappy timing-touch tosses that caught the eyes of the evaluating contingent.

None of this means anything at all. Of course there’s a chance that you could end up with Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning but that doesn’t mean you don’t take your shot.

Trading back and getting a guy like Andy Dalton is fine and all but if you have a chance to get a real difference-maker at the QB position you absolutely go for it. A guy like that makes everything easier for the entire franchise, that’s why they’re so sought after. 

11 minutes ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

Really! He’s a generation quarterback after one year. I just love the stupidity of some fans. Andrew Luck had multiple good years in college and deserved to be number one over all draft pick. There is questions about Burrow and not everyone is sold on him. I also think this team has more needs than 1 qb.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Obviously, you are the expert on drafting QBs so who do we pick?  Hurts who got bent over and ass raped by LSU?  The guy who just had major hip surgery?  Mr wet his pants Jake Fromm?  Come on man, who is going to be?

16 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The same scout probably had Peyton Manning a 12 as well. Of course a real scout doesn’t get bamboozled by single things such as arm strength or 40 time like this scout obviously did.  George was an absolute Train wreck at Purdue and asshole at Illinois. 

Main point: a “generational talent” can be manufactured by the media (and “NFL scouts”—whether they really exist or not) at any time. 

Find virtually any #1 player—any year—who hasn’t had relative levels of hyperbole. And QB’s get the most of it. 

38 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Jeff George was a 12 on the 1-10 Total Asshole Prick scale too.

"Don't draft Joe Burrow because Jeff George sucked" is not a great mentality.

"We have more than one need!" sounds sensible on the surface, but it overestimates the Bengals' ability to make hay with multiple picks AND demands a lesser QB prospect succeed with this franchise any more than Dalton or Palmer did, regardless of whatever tools are around them.

Draft Joe Burrow. STFU and draft Joe Burrow.

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Exactly.  For every Jeff George and Jamarcus Russell, there is an Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning, 

You dont play the lotto because of all the people that lost.  

47 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Main point: a “generational talent” can be manufactured by the media (and “NFL scouts”—whether they really exist or not) at any time. 

Find virtually any #1 player—any year—who hasn’t had relative levels of hyperbole. And QB’s get the most of it. 

Jeff George was absolutely a generational talent. He just didn’t want to put any effort into being the best pro he could be. Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have went #1 though. 

Yeah, it's a lot easier to find good players at other positions. Elite QBs are hard to find. Burrow has a chance to become elite and we should give it to him while surrounding him with talent, ala Andy. I'm not very confident the Bengals will do enough though. I bet we leave large amounts of cap space either wasted or unused.

12 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Is Dalton's 17m or whatever he's getting this year too much to work with?  Or can we keep Dalton, draft Burrow sign Green plus Eifert, extend Mixon and grab some FAs????

We can keep Dalton and his 17 mil around but shouldn't. That's way too much to pay a backup QB. We could get one of those for 4-5 mil who has prior starting experience and can mentor Burrow. Saving 12 mil+ would let us sign a good free agent O-lineman.

Peyton Manning

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Tennessee  
1994 Tennessee SEC   QB 11 89 144 61.8 1141 7.9 7.6 11 6 145.2
1995 Tennessee SEC   QB 11 244 380 64.2 2954 7.8 8.5 22 4 146.5
1996 Tennessee SEC   QB 11 243 380 63.9 3287 8.7 8.3 20 12 147.7
1997 Tennessee SEC   QB 12 287 477 60.2 3819 8.0 8.5 36 11 147.7

Andrew Luck

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Stanford         713 1064 67.0 9430 8.9 9.5 82 22 162.8
*2009 Stanford Pac-10 FR QB 12 162 288 56.3 2575 8.9 9.2 13 4 143.5
*2010 Stanford Pac-10 SO QB 13 263 372 70.7 3338 9.0 9.7 32 8 170.2
*2011 Stanford Pac-12 SR QB 13 288 404 71.3 3517 8.7 9.4 37 10 169.7

Multiple years of "generational talent", compared to one super season, and three others where could not beat out JT Barrett and Haskins. 

Of course, the logic of "can't win if you don't bet" is obvious. Of course, each boom/bust/OK guy from years gone by are individual and not collective. Just shaking my head at this worship for a still-to-be-proven-at-the-next-level 5th year college guy.     

1 hour ago, OU_Stripes said:

"Don't draft Joe Burrow because Jeff George sucked" is not a great mentality.

"We have more than one need!" sounds sensible on the surface, but it overestimates the Bengals' ability to make hay with multiple picks AND demands a lesser QB prospect succeed with this franchise any more than Dalton or Palmer did, regardless of whatever tools are around them.

Draft Joe Burrow. STFU and draft Joe Burrow.

This.

Archived