* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

7 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

This is very reasonable.  They definitely handle injuries in an odd way.  Seems to me, their issue will be solved with Williams at LT.  I believe Glenn will be the wild card.  That line played significantly better (at the very least the run game) in the second half of the year.  They may have something in this Fred Johnson as well.  The way the franchise does things is extremely frustrating, but i dont believe the sky is falling as hard as some.  

For the OL, it fell 3 years ago. 

1 minute ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

For the OL, it fell 3 years ago. 

Yeah, it hasnt been great.  My point was, it showed some improvement the second half of the season, not to mention, Mixon was the AFC's leading rusher the year before.  In my opinion, with Williams back and a healthy Glenn, with the potential of Johnson, it may be better than people think.  Hell, even Hart played better.  I do agree with the overall consensus that they need to scoop one up somewhere between rounds 2-4.  This will be an interesting draft, to say the least, as they most likely will have to find some receiver help at some point as well.  Boyd is steady eddy.  Green will get franchised, but beyond that is anyone's guess.  Ross is Ross.  I love Tate, but if this team is going to be without Green and/or Ross in the future, they are going to need someone to take the top off.  This season will greatly hinge upon what happens in that 2-4 range.  They are no question getting Burrow at 1.  OL, WR, and LB will be pivotal in those rounds.    

25 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I don’t think they’ll completely ignore the OT spots in the draft but I definitely don’t think they’ll be taking one early...like say before R4. 

Starters are in place with Williams and Hart and then you’ve got the newcomer that played well at the end of the year in Fred Johnson. So those are the first 3, meaning they just really need one more, unless they think Prince is that guy. I’d look for them to try and improve at RG but even then I doubt they take one early considering they gave Miller a decent contract last year and Price will still be on the roster. In other words, they’ll go to war with what they have. It’s the Bengals way, after all. 

We're you happy with Hart's play this year? I think he got better at the end of the year, but the competition wasn't great. I'm not sold on him and if there is a long term answer at RT in the 2nd I think I take it.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Banhammer.jpeg.f171b532c597aa658819fa3c11f1ad82.jpeg

Yeah, I know there's the ignore button, which I don't use, 

but perhaps time for this child to join Fred Toast, Blue Ridge,

Lewdawg in Lala Land.

JMHO

And bring back Scharm.  He was amusing if a pain in the ass

to The Powers That Be.

Would like to see the return of Rick, although not banned, as far as I

know.  I like the tales of MILF Heaven in a golf cart.

Agree with it all.  I always figure when someone shows up like BB, he is a banned poster or another team's fan that shows up with a new fake ID to fuck with the board and just see how much crap he can spew before getting banned.  I doubt they ever intend to stay too long.

15 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Yeah, it hasnt been great.  My point was, it showed some improvement the second half of the season, not to mention, Mixon was the AFC's leading rusher the year before.  In my opinion, with Williams back and a healthy Glenn, with the potential of Johnson, it may be better than people think.  Hell, even Hart played better.  I do agree with the overall consensus that they need to scoop one up somewhere between rounds 2-4.  This will be an interesting draft, to say the least, as they most likely will have to find some receiver help at some point as well.  Boyd is steady eddy.  Green will get franchised, but beyond that is anyone's guess.  Ross is Ross.  I love Tate, but if this team is going to be without Green and/or Ross in the future, they are going to need someone to take the top off.  This season will greatly hinge upon what happens in that 2-4 range.  They are no question getting Burrow at 1.  OL, WR, and LB will be pivotal in those rounds.    

I would agree with that. I know the team has had trouble in some manner with Glenn but I would not cut him - I would play him or use him as trade bait given how thin the OL market is. Much like Dalton, we could wait until someone comes begging due to an injury early in TC or they just have to fill a hole. 

21 minutes ago, whodey365 said:

Obviously Dalton plays a huge role in this with his quick release but it seems like the OL isn't in as bad of shape. 

Screenshot_20200121-110052_Twitter.jpg

I posted this tweet from Joe in another thread a few weeks ago.  It definitely begs the question, is there an element of addition (Burrow in this case) by subtraction (Dalton) when it comes to this line as well.  Its going to be really interesting.  I havent been this excited for this franchise in a long time.  No only because of Burrow, but even with the losses down the stretch, this team was scrapping and improving in some areas that were completely dire the first 8 games of the year. 

44 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

We're you happy with Hart's play this year? I think he got better at the end of the year, but the competition wasn't great. I'm not sold on him and if there is a long term answer at RT in the 2nd I think I take it.

He got better as the year went along but what I think doesn’t matter. The point I was trying to make is that I think THEY are the ones that are sold on him. I just don’t see them replacing him at all. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm looking at either Beckton from Louisville or Wilson from UGA. No question the Bengals need to upgrade the talent in at OT position, quality depth is needed and protecting Burrow has to be priority #1.

22 hours ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

Did you watch the game dumb fuck. You mean the one where the catch and fumble for a touchdown was overturned. Yeah keep spouting off at the mouth. The truth is if you watched the game you would have seen a lot of missed calls in favor of Clemson.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

I watched the game. All of it. The better team won.

This guy seems like a typical Bengal OL pick - so much 'potential' he will 'be a steal'..future fail

Prince Tega Wanogho – offensive tackle – Auburn

It’s no secret that offensive line is one of the most glaring needs for the Bengals and if you’re using merely the eye test, Wanogho passes with flying colors. The 6-foot-7, 310-pounder was No. 24 on Bruce Feldman’s 2019 college football freaks list for his ability to bench 415 pounds, squat 560, run a 4.95 40 and jump 32 inches.

“He’s a great testament to taking his development seriously,” Auburn strength coach Ryan Russell told Feldman. “He came in at 260 and is consistently 310-315 now without losing speed, agility or capability. He has progressed every year.”

But Wanogho is raw. The native of Nigeria came to the U.S. to be a basketball player and came to Auburn as a defensive end before being converted to the offensive line. He became a three-year starter at Auburn but is still a work in progress. Given that he will need to be coached up, it’s the perfect opportunity for the Bengals’ coaches to see if they can do so in the short time they have with him. Brugler says Wanogho’s instinctive issues are understandable, but his intelligence and “want to” are there.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

He got better as the year went along but what I think doesn’t matter. The point I was trying to make is that I think THEY are the ones that are sold on him. I just don’t see them replacing him at all. 

I'm not sure I agree. They gave Hart a 3 year deal, that is typical for journeymen type contract that you want to keep and it's not because he was old, he's 25. Cutting him this year would be a 2 million dollar cap hit, cutting him next year would be 1 million.  They also could kick him inside if they took a RT and upgrade RG as well.

I'm just saying I don't think they would shy away from taking an additional Olinemen early.

1 hour ago, OU_Stripes said:

I watched the game. All of it. The better team won.

Actually the Buckeyes beat themselves more than Clemson did anything to beat them. Hell, JK Dobbins by himself left 8 points on the field without even being touched by a Clemson player...just put those 8 points on the board despite everything else and it’s OSU/LSU playing in the championship game. 

28 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Actually the Buckeyes beat themselves more than Clemson did anything to beat them. Hell, JK Dobbins by himself left 8 points on the field without even being touched by a Clemson player...just put those 8 points on the board despite everything else and it’s OSU/LSU playing in the championship game. 

Great teams don’t make that many simple mistakes. The defense got caught up in the moment and got burned way too many times on simple counter plays that went for huge gains.   

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Actually the Buckeyes beat themselves more than Clemson did anything to beat them. Hell, JK Dobbins by himself left 8 points on the field without even being touched by a Clemson player...just put those 8 points on the board despite everything else and it’s OSU /LSU playing being embarrassed by LSU in the championship game. 

Fixed.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

This guy seems like a typical Bengal OL pick - so much 'potential' he will 'be a steal'..future fail

It’s no secret that offensive line is one of the most glaring needs for the Bengals and if you’re using merely the eye test, Wanogho passes with flying colors. The 6-foot-7, 310-pounder was No. 24 on Bruce Feldman’s 2019 college football freaks list for his ability to bench 415 pounds, squat 560, run a 4.95 40 and jump 32 inches.

“He’s a great testament to taking his development seriously,” Auburn strength coach Ryan Russell told Feldman. “He came in at 260 and is consistently 310-315 now without losing speed, agility or capability. He has progressed every year.”

But Wanogho is raw. The native of Nigeria came to the U.S. to be a basketball player and came to Auburn as a defensive end before being converted to the offensive line. He became a three-year starter at Auburn but is still a work in progress. Given that he will need to be coached up, it’s the perfect opportunity for the Bengals’ coaches to see if they can do so in the short time they have with him. Brugler says Wanogho’s instinctive issues are understandable, but his intelligence and “want to” are there.

He just pulled out of the game due to knee issues...so he will definitely be the 2nd round pick.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Great teams don’t make that many simple mistakes.

I didn't say anything about that. I'm simply saying that despite all of the stupid shit they did, if JK just makes the two plays that he made all year long, the Buckeyes win that game. That's it. 

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

Ohio State had opportunities to win the game, but they sure didn't get as much help from the refs as Clemson did.

5 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I saw a mock draft where this guy was projected as our third round pick.

Speaking of OL potential picks,  LSU C/OG Lloyd Cushenberry III will be on the Senior Bowl South team so the Zac Pack can get a good look at him.  Some nice things said about him during the Trevor Transgender choke-a-thon.  LSU OL Damien Lewis also on the Senior Bowl South team.  Even if low picks maybe bring them in.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

I didn't say anything about that. I'm simply saying that despite all of the stupid shit they did, if JK just makes the two plays that he made all year long, the Buckeyes win that game. That's it. 

LOL, I absolutely agree. Also, if we don’t let the Breck model run right down the middle of the field for a 50 yard plus touchdown and other assorted breakdowns.  Defense gave up way too many huge plays.  

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

Until I read an actual FACTUAL report that such trades are being offered I will have my doubts.  I would think after seeing how such moves usually DON'T pan out it would be shocking to see such a move.  The Bears got burnt by the Trubisky move.  

Bears got burned because they picked Trubisky instead of Mahomes or Watson. 49ers got extra picks plus the guy they wanted all along but he turned out to be Solomon Thomas. Redskins paid a lot to get RG3 and he was rookie of the year in 2012. He just got hurt and never back to full strength. Jimmie Johnson built his Cowboys team based on the Herschel Walker trade. Walker couldn't possibly live up to what was expected of him but he was a good player at the time. The Titans have benefited from trading their pick to the Eagles for Carson Wentz. 

Burrow is a very clean prospect. He's turned in the best season in college football history while facing a large number of good teams. He's arguably a better prospect than Andrew Luck and maybe even Peyton Manning. The knocks on Burrow are arm strength and 1 year wonder. But he's showed the ability to throw deep with touch and placement and his team's offense was revised for this season. If Brady had been around for 2018, Burrow would have no doubt put up better numbers than his actuals. So it's reasonable for teams to make Godfather type offers for Burrow. At some point, it might be reasonable for the Bengals to accept. Burrow isn't the only alternative to Dalton. 

Archived