* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm not sure I agree. They gave Hart a 3 year deal, that is typical for journeymen type contract that you want to keep and it's not because he was old, he's 25. Cutting him this year would be a 2 million dollar cap hit, cutting him next year would be 1 million.  They also could kick him inside if they took a RT and upgrade RG as well.

I'm just saying I don't think they would shy away from taking an additional Olinemen early.

Cutting Hart would mean 2 mil in dead money but no cap hit at all, in fact it increases our cap space since it saves his salary. It would be compounding a mistake to let the presence of Hart on the roster give us a reason to pass on upgrading the tackle position. 

10 hours ago, crazycat said:

This last paragraph tells me why we should take Burrow. I know this is a mock, but if so many others teams are willing to part with so much for this guy, don't ya think we should take him ourselves?

Depends. If I took the Colts mega offer it means no Burrow. But I could trade one of the picks for Matt Stafford. He's 32 so he has 5-6 years left at most. He could play longer but we shouldn't count on it. But adding him is an upgrade from Dalton and adding Quinton Nelson, Darius Leonard, and extra draft picks plus whomever we can get in free agency would help the rest of the roster considerably. 

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

I didn't say anything about that. I'm simply saying that despite all of the stupid shit they did, if JK just makes the two plays that he made all year long, the Buckeyes win that game. That's it. 

Hell, if Olave runs his correct route, we win the Game.  

49 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Cutting Hart would mean 2 mil in dead money but no cap hit at all, in fact it increases our cap space since it saves his salary. It would be compounding a mistake to let the presence of Hart on the roster give us a reason to pass on upgrading the tackle position. 

all the more reason why I don't think Hart is a lock to stay

27 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

all the more reason why I don't think Hart is a lock to stay

I really hope that's because 2 better OT's emerge in training camp & everyone else is at least as good.  Rather than..  whatever other reasons would make them do that?  I never know what to expect.  Sometimes we pencil in Thoughts-n-Prayers on the depth chart and nobody on the roster can seem to take their starting job away.  

Wouldn't it be fair to say 2 trips to IR is the limit before the team looks to move on?  A player of AJ Green's caliber has earned some leeway there but we're rebuilding anyway.   A 2nd round WR wouldn't shock me, I could see a tag & trade move coming.  I think someone would carry that franchise salary and maybe give us a late or conditional 1st rounder in a package deal provided he plays the full season or hits so-many yards etc.  

I don't think we can afford to be sentimental if other teams come calling.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Defense gave up way too many huge plays.  

And despite it all Clemson only won by 6.

Dobbins alone, with no help whatsoever from any Clemson players, left 8 points on the field all by himself. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

All of Harts contract became dead money the moment they signed him

16 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

All of Harts contract became dead money the moment they signed him

It’s still prorated so it would be a $2mil cap hit. We won’t find a better backup RT for $2mil. 

8 hours ago, spicoli said:

And despite it all Clemson only won by 6.

Dobbins alone, with no help whatsoever from any Clemson players, left 8 points on the field all by himself. 

OSU lost...regardless of who or what. They blew a 16 point lead and lost. Clemson was the better team because they won, it's rather simple.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

OSU lost...regardless of who or what. They blew a 16 point lead and lost. Clemson was the better team because they won, it's rather simple.

Thank you.  OSU had more talent in my opinion than Clemson but at the end of the day the talent has to perform and minimize mistakes.  That didn't happen.  The most glaring thing was how the linebackers and safties missed tackles and took themselves out of position play after play once Clemson started to counter what they were doing early.

20 hours ago, SF2 said:

It’s still prorated so it would be a $2mil cap hit. We won’t find a better backup RT for $2mil. 

Huh? Are you insane? Hart himself was a minimum salary backup with the Giants. He sucked then so they cut him. Bengals picked him up and made him a starter. He still sucked in 2018 but Bengals cover their incompetence at recruiting outside free agents with the usual "We'll re-sign our own" nonsense and overpaid him. 

There are plenty of better tackles than Hart available at lower prices, even down to vet minimum.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Huh? Are you insane? Hart himself was a minimum salary backup with the Giants. He sucked then so they cut him. Bengals picked him up and made him a starter. He still sucked in 2018 but Bengals cover their incompetence at recruiting outside free agents with the usual "We'll re-sign our own" nonsense and overpaid him. 

There are plenty of better tackles than Hart available at lower prices, even down to vet minimum.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Give me the name of one RT out there better than Hart for 2 mil not on a rookie deal.  There is a big difference between saying something and backing it up with facts. 

Now if you want to spend real money and replace him I totally agree but 2 mil for a veteran backup is a good deal. 

I've not seen any reason to think Hart won't be starting at RT next season. Did I miss something? They saw how he played in '17 and decided to offer him an extension based on that performance.  He showed up for work every week which automatically makes him the best OT on the roster.  Bringing him back again is much easier than finding a replacement.

10 hours ago, kennethmw said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

We're you happy with Heart's play this past season? I thought he was really really bad at the start of the year and improved to bad to mediocre at the end but wasn't convinced he got better so much as faced lesser competition.

I think he's completely replaceable, but he's not the worst one on the line according to PFF

83171287_2384240638573160_27564428372842 

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Give me the name of one RT out there better than Hart for 2 mil not on a rookie deal.  There is a big difference between saying something and backing it up with facts. 

Now if you want to spend real money and replace him I totally agree but 2 mil for a veteran backup is a good deal. 

Oh, if only Hart made 2 mil. He'd still be overpaid but not as egregiously so. He'll make 3.85 mil this year and has a cap number of 4.85 mil. The 2 mil was the dead money if we cut him now. We'd gain 2.85 mil in cap space for cutting Hart and I'm in favor of that because he's easily replaced. 

Regarding veteran OTs who are as good or better than Hart and cost less than 2 mil, here are some names from last year's free agency: Donald Penn, Sam Young, Marshall Newhouse, Chris Clark, JMarcus Webb, Dakota Dozer, TJ Clemmings, Joe Barksdale, etc. Those are  veteran guys with prior starting experience who signed cheap contracts. Penn was a  probowler in 2017.

7 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

We're you happy with Heart's play this past season? I thought he was really really bad at the start of the year and improved to bad to mediocre at the end but wasn't convinced he got better so much as faced lesser competition.

I think he's completely replaceable, but he's not the worst one on the line according to PFF

83171287_2384240638573160_27564428372842 

sea no GIF by Pixel Bandits

Archived