* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

10 minutes ago, membengal said:

Um, no. Game that out for me so I can understand your logic. Because from where I sit...- let’s say despite burrow’s dad already saying they are annoyed with suggestions that Burrow pull an Eli that somehow Burrow says he refuses to play for the team two hours from where he lives. You think that mike brown of all people will be bullied into dealing that pick? Mike would take Burrow and call the bluff. IF burrow then actually sat out the year (costing himself millions of dollars ) he goes back into next years Draft now 25 years old, having not played in a year, and in a draft with Lawrence, Fields and some other really great QB prospects. No way he goes number one next year - maybe falls out of top five or even top 10 costing himself even more money. Add in the likelihood of a work stoppage with the CBA expiring after this year and a refusal to play for then bengals may mean no money not just this year but beyond that. Explain to me how that risk makes any sense for Burrow? Especially as competitive as he apparently is.

other than in the fever dreams of paul Dehner and Dan Patrick and Carson Palmer and Mike brown haters, please tell me how any of that makes any sense or that him trying to force a trade is remotely likely to happen .

Ive said it before, ill say it again, there are too many fans of this team that have been fucking shell shocked man.  It doesnt allow for any rationale.  No chance Burrow doesnt get drafted by the Bengals.  The only scenario even remotely possible is if someone like the Dolphins comes calling with the mother load, and i do mean the fucking mother load for him.  Even then, the possibility is very scarce.  

Tim talks to players about signing with Buffalo. Applies to Bengals as many players prefer to play in south or for winning teams But, offensive & defensive players agree -- who the QB is, is important. “I’d definitely be evaluating QBs to see if I want to play with them or not.”

This is what i was saying in an earlier post.  Having a quarterback like Burrow has to count for something when players are making their assessment.  This is given the fact that he comes and assimilates himself to the pro game as many expect he will.  

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

If that's the case, why not trade the pick?  

Because why the fuck should we resign ourselves to another fucking lost season to spin the potential franchise qb wheel when they are in position to spin that wheel right fucking now.

18 minutes ago, membengal said:

Um, no. Game that out for me so I can understand your logic. Because from where I sit...- let’s say despite burrow’s dad already saying they are annoyed with suggestions that Burrow pull an Eli that somehow Burrow says he refuses to play for the team two hours from where he lives. You think that mike brown of all people will be bullied into dealing that pick? Mike would take Burrow and call the bluff. IF burrow then actually sat out the year (costing himself millions of dollars ) he goes back into next years Draft now 25 years old, having not played in a year, and in a draft with Lawrence, Fields and some other really great QB prospects. No way he goes number one next year - maybe falls out of top five or even top 10 costing himself even more money. Add in the likelihood of a work stoppage with the CBA expiring after this year and a refusal to play for then bengals may mean no money not just this year but beyond that. Explain to me how that risk makes any sense for Burrow? Especially as competitive as he apparently is.

other than in the fever dreams of paul Dehner and Dan Patrick and Carson Palmer and Mike brown haters, please tell me how any of that makes any sense or that him trying to force a trade is remotely likely to happen .

It makes eminent sense for Burrow if he's patient and about maximizing career earnings rather than first 5 year earnings. By being drafted later in 2021, he'd be going to a better team and likely have more NFL success. If he's the top pick this year and sits, he'll still have national endorsement money and local Louisiana endorsement money, maybe even some in Cincinnati if he signs for a local business soon after the draft. If he thinks the Bengals are set in their ways and unlikely to change while Mike Brown runs the team and he doesn't have any assurance of Brown giving up control or dying soon, then avoiding Brown is the way to go. He's seen what happened to Klingler and Akili.  Maybe next year he gets drafted at 15 by the Stealers as Ben's heir or something like that. 

3 minutes ago, membengal said:

Because why the fuck should we resign ourselves to another fucking lost season to spin the potential franchise qb wheel when they are in position to spin that wheel right fucking now.

Because this team needs more than a QB & a couple of extra 1st round picks would go a long way towards filling some of those other holes?  TBF I'm assuming we're still drafting in the top 10 next season.

16 minutes ago, membengal said:

Um, no. Game that out for me so I can understand your logic

I told ya, I just think all of the Bengals bashing from not just national and local media but even just from casual local fans will just eventually wear him down. I predict he either pulls some crap trying to demand a trade or he’ll hold out and likely eventually sign but not until the season is wasted. Hell if he wanted to he could just say fuck it and go to medical school. Sometimes money just isn’t the driving source with level headed young men. He might just give a big F U to the whole thing when it’s all said and done. I understand you have a major hard on for the kid but look at today’s NFL and how far out of touch this franchise is and then do the math. You act like it’s completely out of the realm of possibility. It absolutely is not. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:
Dan Patrick is being a dick, too.

Yes, and his logic is backwards as well.  He structures the hypothetical that Burrow's competitive fire/aspirations and motivations to win will perhaps not be satisfied by the Bengals... then frames the whole thing around the concept or premise "it's a business decision".

Dan: if it's a business decision he takes #1 pick money.  If it's a business decision he goes where he will be most loved, maybe to a fault, such that his endorsements will continue to pay off regardless of the team's (or maybe even his) performance.  Both of these scream "go to the Bengals" (or at best, somehow get the Saints into the #1 slot).  So which is it Dan?  Should he screw the Bengals because he wants to win, or because he should be chasing maximum money?  Maybe both?  Maybe the Bengals should just be booted from the league?  Maybe the league needs to change the draft so that the most popular teams pick at the top every year?

The only way Dan's statement works is if in DAN's mind, players should be trying to orchestrate specifically which franchise they will play for in order to receive maximum exposure nationally (e.g. Dallas).  And if that is how Dan thinks... Dan's a fucking asshole, as is anyone who provides tacit approval to what Eli did by suggesting it's an acceptable option for Joe.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Yes, it will. My fear and suspicion though is it will be “business as usual”.

Well the problem (as all well know) is that MB thinks he *is* trying to win.  He thinks what they're doing now is perfectly acceptable and they've had "bad luck" or "a couple bad bounces".  The only "bad bounce" that had any direct influence on the team's fortunes that I can recall over the past many years is when Kimo bounced off Carson's knee. 

The only thing we as fans can hope for is that they fall ass-backwards into good players through the draft and the coaches are competent enough to win despite the challenges presented by working for a more cheaply-run org - nothing more, nothing less.  

To be fair, it's not impossible that the Bengals would suddenly make some bigger signings in FA, but I think that's more a reflection of "how much influence does Taylor et al have on MB/Katie/Duke" than any other indicator or factor.  Since Taylor doesn't have the resume that Marvin did, I doubt he has much clout at all with ownership.  If there is some sort of change, though, I'll chalk it up to Taylor until told differently.

29 minutes ago, crazycat said:

Maybe, just maybe, good ol Mikeyboy realizes that he is pass the age that his father died and will have an epiphany that if he wants to win a championship and had his fathers name to the trophy he needs to change his ways. Maybe, I doubt it, but maybe.

Said it before but I think he wants to be right more than he wants to win.   Winning is just validation for his way of doing things, not a goal in itself.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I told ya, I just think all of the Bengals bashing from not just national and local media but even just from casual local fans will just eventually wear him down. I predict he either pulls some crap trying to demand a trade or he’ll hold out and likely eventually sign but not until the season is wasted. Hell if he wanted to he could just say fuck it and go to medical school. Sometimes money just isn’t the driving source with level headed young men. He might just give a big F U to the whole thing when it’s all said and done. I understand you have a major hard on for the kid but look at today’s NFL and how far out of touch this franchise is and then do the math. You act like it’s completely out of the realm of possibility. It absolutely is not. 

If the team continues to meander aimlessly even with Burrow I would not blame him for wanting out after his first deal. The team has 5 years to show it actually wants to win

8 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

If the team continues to meander aimlessly even with Burrow I would not blame him for wanting out after his first deal. The team has 5 years to show it actually wants to win

Well plain and simple the second deal is when the player can legitimately make this assertion and try and make demands, at least IMO.  The franchise tag makes it interesting, but overall players have a lot of power still.  The belief that undrafted players should have similar power is flawed at best, armchair horseshit at worst.  You play for who picks you, you get a sense of their direction, and then you decide what's best.  It's the same everywhere and should be the same in every sport.

The other thing that gets me is... if a player is *truly* a competitive spirit, they should *welcome* playing for a franchise that needs to get better, and they should be confident enough to believe they can make a huge difference in that effort (ESPECIALLY A QB).  I remember when CP said this exact thing when it was his turn in the "presumptive #1 pick" barrel.  He said he wanted to be the difference in turning a franchise around, since clearly at the top of the draft that's what he was facing.  That's the right attitude.  Yes, the team management needs to be an equal partner in that effort, and Joe should be making that assessment himself, not making presumptions on the assessment of Dan Patrick and Carson "hasn't been a Bengal for years" Palmer.  And if anyone here doesn't believe a single player can make a huge difference?  I think it's very, very clear that Whitworth was a MASSIVE influence in changing attitudes and perceptions of the Bengal players, both inside and outside the org.  What was Marvin's quote when asked if the Bengals might not sign Whitworth back?  Something like "then they can send me out the door with him", something like that?  If Joe has any chance of being that type of guy, he *will* make a difference to the fortunes of the entire team, even if stats aren't showing it right away.

2 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

Ive said it before, ill say it again, there are too many fans of this team that have been fucking shell shocked man.  It doesnt allow for any rationale. 

Gee, ya think? Why the fuck wouldn't we be? Anything bad that you can possibly think of in regards to this team is 100% plausible to happen.

Sure, they'll likely draft Joe Burrow, and rightfully so. In no way, shape or form does that mean there won't be some kind of crazy stupid drama coming afterwards though that'll suck the joy right out of the pick. They're the Mike Brown led Bengals after all, it's what they do to us fans. 

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Gee, ya think? Why the fuck wouldn't we be? Anything bad that you can possibly think of in regards to this team is 100% plausible to happen.

Sure, they'll likely draft Joe Burrow, and rightfully so...in no way, shape or form though does that mean there won't be some kind of crazy stupid drama that will happen that'll suck the joy right out of the pick. They're the Mike Brown led Bengals after all, it's what they do to us fans. 

I think a big part of the appeal to them is that drafting him means they won't really have to do anything else to hold fan interest.  They could not make a single other move & there'd still be a ton of hype going into next season. 

20 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

Y'all treat this franchise like it's 1997.

They're a flawed operation with plenty of room for improvement, but assessing them the same way these clueless pundits do is asinine.

Love your optimism sir...but most of us have seen this show before.  I'm honestly more optimistic than not, but I can certainly see why many others aren't looking thru rose-colored glasses at this point.  Maybe this time they really will turn the corner?   ...or not.  :ph34r:

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

Sure, they'll likely draft Joe Burrow, and rightfully so. In no way, shape or form does that mean there won't be some kind of crazy stupid drama coming afterwards though that'll suck the joy right out of the pick. They're the Mike Brown led Bengals after all, it's what they do to us fans. 

I was speaking specifically to the fact that people are being so shell shockingly irrational to the point they are providing some sort of credence to this national media bull shit. Its just simply not going to happen. They can say it all they want. I said earlier unless they get a kings fucking ransom for the 1st pick, Burrow will be on this team. They may like Young, Tua, and Herbert, but nowhere near the amount they like Burrow. 

Archived