* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

51 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

That piece about Bengals ruining QBs somehow forgot to mention top 10 picks Klingler and Smith. 

Well, neither dude was able to catch on anywhere else. Not that it’s an ironclad indicator, but, if they had truly been NFL caliber, one would think they might have seen some success elsewhere.

48 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

That piece about Bengals ruining QBs somehow forgot to mention top 10 picks Klingler and Smith. 

Plenty of teams have picked in the top 10 only to end up with a bust.  Can you even name me a passable QB drafted by Denver in the last 40 years?  Other than Stafford who has Detroit ever developed?  Joey Harrington?  Rodney Peete?  The Dolphins had Marino and Tannehill?  The Bengals actually have done very well drafting QBs. 

10 hours ago, Bengal Cat said:

Absolutely. This team had a window. Windows don't stay open for long in the NFL as we know. It was refreshing what Andy brought to the table after the Carson debacle. We never could take that next step. Of course, it's not all his fault, as stated above. But just as Marvin's message grew stale, so did Andy at QB. After his offense line was depleted the past several years, he had no chance to succeed. But at the same time it didn't get done when he had a good line either. I'm sure the debate will rage on as to why.

Windows don’t stay open long? The Pats disagree

The Sporting News article gets ya all chest-thumping and ready for a new season to start. 

A guy can dream of Cincy whooping The Stealers twice, taking the div, plowing thru the playoff competition and dominating an NFC opponent in the Super Bowl! 

womp womp womp... 

Nothing feels more foreign than that fever dream..

I was listening to Pat Kirwen and Jim Miller and they had Paul Alexander on (they have him on every week).  He stated that when it comes to the draft that Mike doesn't over rule anyone in the draft room and that the pick is agreed on by everyone.  He stated that Mike wanted to draft Dan Marino, Patrick Maholmes and someone else that I can't remember but didn't get the consensus so they didn't draft them.  Take it for what its worth but I thought it was interesting.  Shame he didn't overrule that Obeghui pick..lol.

12 hours ago, spidey said:

I was listening to Pat Kirwen and Jim Miller and they had Paul Alexander on (they have him on every week).  He stated that when it comes to the draft that Mike doesn't over rule anyone in the draft room and that the pick is agreed on by everyone.  He stated that Mike wanted to draft Dan Marino, Patrick Maholmes and someone else that I can't remember but didn't get the consensus so they didn't draft them.  Take it for what its worth but I thought it was interesting.  Shame he didn't overrule that Obeghui pick..lol.

How can the pick be agreed upon by all? Someone has to have the hammer. But this makes sense why the team has so much trouble making draft day trades, time would run out before the could all agree. 

10 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

How can the pick be agreed upon by all? Someone has to have the hammer. But this makes sense why the team has so much trouble making draft day trades, time would run out before the could all agree. 

$1 says its more like some passive-aggressive bullshit where Mike is all "Well I think we should take blahblahblah, he seems nice, but you don't have to listen to me, you do what you think is best *sniffle* i'm just an ollllld maaaaan  :liberalmedia:"

He still gets his way, but he doesn't have to take responsibility for the decision.

Of course this is just my own hunch but sure as shit seems like how the team is run from the outside.

41 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

$1 says its more like some passive-aggressive bullshit where Mike is all "Well I think we should take blahblahblah, he seems nice, but you don't have to listen to me, you do what you think is best *sniffle* i'm just an ollllld maaaaan  :liberalmedia:"

He still gets his way, but he doesn't have to take responsibility for the decision.

Of course this is just my own hunch but sure as shit seems like how the team is run from the outside.

LOL, when I was in the Army the Brigade Commander would tell us what he thought and would ask for us to reply.   Replying was pretty much useless. 

11 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Not necessarily true. There are owners in sports that want to be involved, but do listen to their coaches, scouts and GMs. I know of one franchise specifically where it is done this way. They refer to themselves as “the committee.”  One personal attribute that some ignore is learning to manage up. Can you convince your boss you know what you are talking about?  Sure, some old school people still rule with an iron fist, but those days are fading. 

12 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Not necessarily true. There are owners in sports that want to be involved, but do listen to their coaches, scouts and GMs. I know of one franchise specifically where it is done this way. They refer to themselves as “the committee.”  One personal attribute that some ignore is learning to manage up. Can you convince your boss you know what you are talking about?  Sure, some old school people still rule with an iron fist, but those days are fading. 

But there has to be a final decision maker

On 2/7/2020 at 10:35 AM, spidey said:

I thought Mike Brown nixed Marino because of rumors that he smoked marijuana  in college. 

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I think Mike Brown has wanted all the QBs 

Actually he gets all googly moogly over wide receivers.  John Ross is a good example.

That's why I am certain we will take a WR at the top of the second round

and pass up worthy linebackers or O linemen.

Unfortunately.

21 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

But there has to be a final decision maker

Yes and no.  If the conversation becomes such a battle that the owner has to make a final decision the process isn’t working.  I know the owner of the team I am familiar with has never had to do that for a draft.  For contracts, yes. Teams have their own draft board.  They rank players and often just take the highest ranked player. 

14 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Actually he gets all googly moogly over wide receivers.  John Ross is a good example.

That's why I am certain we will take a WR at the top of the second round

and pass up worthy linebackers or O linemen.

Unfortunately.

Maybe not LB but I think you're right about OL.  We seem to love hanging entire seasons on the recovery of one injured LT & with him being a 1st round pick I doubt they'll bother with a plan B.  If Williams struggles or can't go it's NBD, there's the injury excuse they count on.  Yeah it sounds stupid but I've never seen a team carry so many glass players on their roster.  Not saying Williams is in that category yet but it's definitely been a theme around here the past few years.  

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe not LB but I think you're right about OL.  We seem to love hanging entire seasons on the recovery of one injured LT & with him being a 1st round pick I doubt they'll bother with a plan B.  If Williams struggles or can't go it's NBD, there's the injury excuse they count on.  Yeah it sounds stupid but I've never seen a team carry so many glass players on their roster.  Not saying Williams is in that category yet but it's definitely been a theme around here the past few years.  

Lots if teams have the same struggle with heath..

You build that oline and linebacker group...

17 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Lots if teams have the same struggle with heath..

You build that oline and linebacker group...

Yeah, I don't expect an OL to stay entirely healthy all year.  At best one of the 5 is almost certain to miss a game or two, which is why we need some depth there.  What I do expect is for the team to build around the 5-6 that show up to play most weeks, not trying to duct tape something together because they're over-invested in guys and/or refuse to face facts, yet have nothing but scrubs behind them as a backup plan.  Then they reward someone like Hart and its just a big pile of WTF?! 

I feel like I have more than ample reason to be skeptical of their ability or even desire to build a capable team around Burrow.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah, I don't expect an OL to stay entirely healthy all year.  At best one of the 5 is almost certain to miss a game or two, which is why we need some depth there.  What I do expect is for the team to build around the 5-6 that show up to play most weeks, not trying to duct tape something together because they're over-invested in guys and/or refuse to face facts, yet have nothing but scrubs behind them as a backup plan.  Then they reward someone like Hart and its just a big pile of WTF?! 

I feel like I have more than ample reason to be skeptical of their ability or even desire to build a capable team around Burrow.

Hoping that Katy and her staff persuade the old man to go for it..

Hell wouldnt you want to go for it when your 80 yrs old? 

Pittsburg has allways built there team thru oline and libebackers..its worked pretty well..

Protect Burrows and cut down on third diwn short passing first downs..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Hoping that Katy and her staff persuade the old man to go for it..

Hell wouldnt you want to go for it when your 80 yrs old? 

Pittsburg has allways built there team thru oline and libebackers..its worked pretty well..

Protect Burrows and cut down on third diwn short passing first downs..

Sounds good to me but I thought Katy took over years ago & the FO decision making has been disastrous.  

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Sounds good to me but I thought Katy took over years ago & the FO decision making has been disastrous.  

That could be true...i still think the old man has his say bottom line..jmho..

Miami is going to come afterBurrows Strong soon...

Their three picks in first round could be very enticing unlrss youe willing to give this kid a good oline..

16 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

That could be true...i still think the old man has his say bottom line..jmho..

Miami is going to come afterBurrows Strong soon...

Their three picks in first round could be very enticing unlrss youe willing to give this kid a good oline..

Nah, I see little chance of a trade.  Besides probably being the right choice,  Burrow is definitely the easiest,  They can do literally nothing else this offseason and will still have fans interested for next year.   Hell, reading the posts around here he's already been declared ROTY.   Put a broken-down OL around him & they can blame injuries again for at least another year or two.  Anything else would require a lot more effort and there's no guarantee of success there, either.  

Archived