* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

40 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

What a bunch of made up ass hattery....Jesus, they just dont stop do they?  I usually could give two shits about what the media says and thinks, but this is nauseating.  

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1851821/cincinnati-is-listening-to-offers-for-the-1-pick-as-rumors-swirl-that-joe-burrow-doesnt-want-to-be-a-bengal

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-burrow-20200210-47ptzraeyndn3kz46whrsfwf6u-story.html

The usual selling point in pre-draft media is who is going #1 and/or who may move up for it. Unfortunately for the media that is not up for debate; as Joe to the Bengals makes perfect since and so they cannot sell it. All they can sell is that Joe "doesn't want to come" to Cincy. Sure they are grasping shit out of their collective asses, but they're trying to make a buck. Just go to the comments section all call them idiots.

2 hours ago, bfine said:

I can only assume you absolutely love Jameis Winston. How efficient they are takes a back seat to the number of yards they throw for; regardless how inefficiently they did it.

bold GIF

How did SF ever make the Super Bowl?

The same way Tenn made the AFC Championship game. SF had the #2 defense, #2 rushing offense and Garapolo averaged 250 passing per game passing, a 69% completion rate and 102 passer rating which means few picks.  They proceeded to lose the Super Bowl because the KC QB is a great passer of the football. 

So if the Bengals can move the defense up to 2 or 1 from 30th, have the #1 or 2 rushing attack and a QB who can average 250 yards a game with few ints we should be good. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

No, if the team can't trade Dalton, they should release him. It makes no sense to pay a backup QB 17 mil. We could get a pro bowl O-lineman for less than that. 

They can cut Dre Kirkpatrick and bobby Hart and get the same savings. I'd rather do all we can to help Joe get the best start possible and I believe keeping Andy as his backup would be part of the move. Don't look at it as paying a back up &17 Mil, look at it as pay $23 Mil for your starter and backup. Quite the bargain for someone who could be the best QB prospect in a generation and one of the better back up QBs in the NFL .

6 minutes ago, bfine said:

The usual selling point in pre-draft media is who is going #1 and/or who may move up for it. Unfortunately for the media that is not up for debate; as Joe to the Bengals makes perfect since and so they cannot sell it. All they can sell is that Joe "doesn't want to come" to Cincy. Sure they are grasping shit out of their collective asses, but they're trying to make a buck. Just go to the comments section all call them idiots.

I don’t think it is a stretch that Burrow would much rather play somewhere else.  I am not sure why that would be a hard thing to believe.  Burrow isn’t stupid and would never say it in public but he isn’t blind. 

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The same way Tenn made the AFC Championship game. SF had the #2 defense, #2 rushing offense and Garapolo averaged 250 passing per game passing, a 69% completion rate and 102 passer rating which means few picks.  They proceeded to lose the Super Bowl because the KC QB is a great passer of the football. 

So if the Bengals can move the defense up to 2 or 1 from 30th, have the #1 or 2 rushing attack and a QB who can average 250 yards a game with few ints we should be good. 

Or else get a great passer of the ball like KC has or Jameis Winston who throws for 320 YPG.

Of course none of this addresses the point of Andy being higher on folk's radar than the like of Teddy, Marcus.

6 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

It must feel good to hold a job and just say things whatever it is you want at your will

Hell, Fox made a whole network out of it. Now it’s the biggest propaganda machine on the planet. Gaslighting works. 

6 minutes ago, bfine said:

Or else get a great passer of the ball like KC has or Jameis Winston who throws for 320 YPG.

Of course none of this addresses the point of Andy being higher on folk's radar than the like of Teddy, Marcus.

Because Dalton simply has far more experience and has played at a high level in the past.  Most outsiders don’t blame Dalton for the last few years. 

20 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I don’t think it is a stretch that Burrow would much rather play somewhere else.  I am not sure why that would be a hard thing to believe.  Burrow isn’t stupid and would never say it in public but he isn’t blind. 

I think Joe Burrow is a young stud who believes, just that, hes a young stud.  He also believes, with that being said, he wants the opportunity to turn a franchise around.  By being selected number one overall, it is guaranteed that the team you are about to play for wasnt a good team the year prior.  Not to mention, its in his home state and a team he grew up knowing very well, which is rather unique in and of itself.  But yes, given a choice, nobody wants to play for a bad team per se.  Its the nature of the sports draft though and players coming out have known that since they learned to throw the football.    

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Thats a load of ifs lol..

3 hours ago, bfine said:

They can cut Dre Kirkpatrick and bobby Hart and get the same savings. I'd rather do all we can to help Joe get the best start possible and I believe keeping Andy as his backup would be part of the move. Don't look at it as paying a back up &17 Mil, look at it as pay $23 Mil for your starter and backup. Quite the bargain for someone who could be the best QB prospect in a generation and one of the better back up QBs in the NFL .

I'm all in favor of getting a veteran QB to mentor Burrow. But not Dalton and definitely not someone making 17 mil. We can get someone for 5-6 mil who has prior starting experience, will be a good teacher, and could go into a game on short notice with few practice snaps that week. 

4 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

I think Joe Burrow is a young stud who believes, just that, hes a young stud.  He also believes, with that being said, he wants the opportunity to turn a franchise around.  By being selected number one overall, it is guaranteed that the team you are about to play for wasnt a good team the year prior.  Not to mention, its in his home state and a team he grew up knowing very well, which is rather unique in and of itself.  But yes, given a choice, nobody wants to play for a bad team per se.  Its the nature of the sports draft though and players coming out have known that since they learned to throw the football.    

LOL, it isn’t the 70s.  These guys are wired into people all over the county with social media. Ohio State didn’t want him so HE LEFT for Louisiana.  LeBron left for Miami and LA.  He grew up in Ohio and his opinion of the Bengals is probably the same as my 24 year old daughter and 21 year old son.  The don’t care about the Bengals.  

He doesn’t care about turning this franchise around, he wants to win, have fun and be in the limelight.  Cincinnati is a bad place for all 3. 

30 minutes ago, SF2 said:

LOL, it isn’t the 70s.  These guys are wired into people all over the county with social media. Ohio State didn’t want him so HE LEFT for Louisiana.  LeBron left for Miami and LA.  He grew up in Ohio and his opinion of the Bengals is probably the same as my 24 year old daughter and 21 year old son.  The don’t care about the Bengals.  

He doesn’t care about turning this franchise around, he wants to win, have fun and be in the limelight.  Cincinnati is a bad place for all 3. 

Is it your assertion Cincinnati doesn't want him?

I have no idea how you know Joe prefers partying over turning a franchise around, but I'm sure you have your sources. 

43 minutes ago, bfine said:

Is it your assertion Cincinnati doesn't want him?

I have no idea how you know Joe prefers partying over turning a franchise around, but I'm sure you have your sources. 

No, I never said that. I said OSU didn’t want him so he left.   He went to LSU which is a top 10 college program.  

If he wanted to turn a program around he would have gone to Rutgers or Vanderbilt.   I never said  he wanted to party, I said he wanted to have fun. 

11 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

One playoff win & we'll want to name the stadium after him.  If he flops, everyone will blame the organization & he'll still get a decent 2nd contract elsewhere. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

The league history is filled with top pick guys who went to terrible organizations and never recovered. David Carr, Tim Couch and Archie Manning come to mind.  Nobody wants to spend 5 to 6 years in a bad situation. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

No, I never said that. I said OSU didn’t want him so he left.   He went to LSU which is a top 10 college program.  

If he wanted to turn a program around he would have gone to Rutgers or Vanderbilt.   I never said  he wanted to party, I said he wanted to have fun. 

I don't really get the relevance of stating OSU didn't want him if you didn't mean for that to be a factor why he left. He couldn't win and have fun there? Probably could have had more fun as he didn't have to worry about getting ready for football games. The year Joe went to LSU they had finished 18th in the Nation and were the 4th ranked team from the SEC. Joe turned LSU around.

Apologies for classifying "wanting to have fun and be in the limelight" as partying, but apparently you know Joe. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

The league history is filled with top pick guys who went to terrible organizations and never recovered. David Carr, Tim Couch and Archie Manning come to mind.  Nobody wants to spend 5 to 6 years in a bad situation. 

He could easily tough it out for a couple of years and then force a trade if it's that awful.  With the kind of money he's about to get he can really do whatever he wants.  No reason to cause a fuss now & mess that up.

1 hour ago, bfine said:

I don't really get the relevance of stating OSU didn't want him if you didn't mean for that to be a factor why he left. He couldn't win and have fun there? Probably could have had more fun as he didn't have to worry about getting ready for football games. The year Joe went to LSU they had finished 18th in the Nation and were the 4th ranked team from the SEC. Joe turned LSU around.

Apologies for classifying "wanting to have fun and be in the limelight" as partying, but apparently you know Joe. 

You are the one who thinks he wants to go to the Bengals and turn the franchise around. When has he ever said anything like that?  

He didn’t go LSU to turn it around, he lost the starting job to Haskins and LSU recruited him to play as a graduate transfer. He simply wanted to play and for a good program.  

18th in the nation and 4th in the SEC is nothing like dead last in the NFL. Keep in mind LSU has a history of greatness unlike the red headed step child Bengals. 

42 minutes ago, SF2 said:

You are the one who thinks he wants to go to the Bengals and turn the franchise around. When has he ever said anything like that?  

He didn’t go LSU to turn it around, he lost the starting job to Haskins and LSU recruited him to play as a graduate transfer. He simply wanted to play and for a good program.  

18th in the nation and 4th in the SEC is nothing like dead last in the NFL. Keep in mind LSU has a history of greatness unlike the red headed step child Bengals. 

You're just kinda making this up as you go along aren't you?

You have no idea what I think and you have no idea what Joe thinks.

So now he wanted to play for a good program instead of winning, having fun, and being in the limelight?

10 hours ago, bfine said:

You're just kinda making this up as you go along aren't you?

You have no idea what I think and you have no idea what Joe thinks.

So now he wanted to play for a good program instead of winning, having fun, and being in the limelight?

Yes, as a pro he probably wants to go to a good program just like everyone else who is about to enter the draft, win there, and have fun doing it.  That’s my opinion.  

You opinion is St Joseph of Athens wants to go to a 2-14 franchise EVERYONE he meets tells him he should avoid and turn it into a winner.  BTW, he has to do this with the same front office that hasn't accomplished anything in 30 years other than a few wild card game losses.   Same franchise that brought in another #1 Heisman trophy winner and managed 2 wild card losses.   He isn't going to LSU, he is going to the Bengals. 

Which scenario sounds more realistic?

That said it isn’t Burrows’ choice and the Bengals should draft him. 

16 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Thats a load of ifs lol..

It is funny how teams with good to great defenses, a great ground attack and a QB who doesn't make mistakes do pretty well in this league.   There are different formulas for sure, great QB with great weapons and a decent defense works (KC, Patriots (over the years), Saints) or top 5 defense with a solid running game and QB who doesn't make mistakes (SF, Tenn).   

At the end of the day the only 2 teams with QBs who had less than 240 yards passing per game did anything this year.  Lamar Jackson who ran for 1206 yards and Ryan Tannehill who handed the ball off to a guy who averaged 115 yards per game.   If Jackson stays healthy he can sustain this for a few years.  I doubt Tenn can sustain this next year, it just isn't a formula that lasts long. 

12 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Unless they take Tua instead.

half :ninja:

LOL, that would cause too much chaos and Mike don't like chaos.   Trading down with Miami keeps getting floated but imagine our surprise when the Panthers or Chargers trade with the Giants and pick Tua one spot ahead of us.  This board would implode.  

Archived