* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

3 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

Just read a prediction on Twitter for a Dalton trade with Indy. 

Cincy gets Indy's 1st round pic, 13th overall. 

Indy gets Dalton and a 2nd round pick.

Just a prediction. But I think that would be absolute best case scenario for the Bengals. Hands down. 

I had no idea that High Times had a Twitter account. 

11 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

Just read a prediction on Twitter for a Dalton trade with Indy. 

Cincy gets Indy's 1st round pic, 13th overall. 

Indy gets Dalton and a 2nd round pick.

Just a prediction. But I think that would be absolute best case scenario for the Bengals. Hands down. 

Why would Indy do that when they can sign him later this summer after the Bengals release him?

57 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Why would Indy do that when they can sign him later this summer after the Bengals release him?

That's the game of chicken - supposes they will release him vs. getting an offer from someone else. If there are two or three teams interested, it's likely the Bengals get an offer of some kind. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Yeah, theres logic to that.  Depends on who/how many are interested in him.  A trade is the only to guarantee getting him.  Who knows, that trade prediction was a wishful thinking, but if that were to be the case, the Bengals couldnt script a better scenario.  

Colts are said to be interested in Philip Rivers. They can't sign him until the start of the league year (same time the trade window opens) but they'll know if they have Rivers before they'd need to make a deal for Dalton. Unless there is a land rush for Andy, which isn't likely. 

Personally if no one made a trade offer for Dalton I wouldn’t cut him. At some point a QB will get hurt and Dalton would have more value then. And if not, at least we’d get a comp pick down the road. 

Pretty helpful article from Morrison in the Athletic this AM with a chart on offensive results for teams starting first year QBs in the last 10 years - the chart won't paste but these paragraphs sum it up:

https://theathletic.com/1656675/2020/03/06/should-the-bengals-go-offense-offense-offense-with-their-first-3-draft-picks/?source=shared-article

The chart illustrates why teams no longer feel the need to make their rookie quarterback spend a year learning under a veteran the way the Bengals did with Carson Palmer in 2003. That's not to say it isn't a good idea. Patrick Mahomes has a regular-season MVP and Super Bowl MVP after sitting on the bench his rookie year behind Alex Smith. Of course, Mahomes took over a team in much better shape than what most of the quarterbacks on this table stepped into.

And yet 13 of the 16 guided their teams to more wins than they had the previous year. Twelve led their teams to more points. And 10 directed an offense to a higher ranking in overall efficiency, six of which were massive leaps of 13 spots or more.

21 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Colts are said to be interested in Philip Rivers. They can't sign him until the start of the league year (same time the trade window opens) but they'll know if they have Rivers before they'd need to make a deal for Dalton. Unless there is a land rush for Andy, which isn't likely. 

I dunno Sparky, I saw a few Bolts games and Rivers looked really old and slow.  Made a lot of late reads that turned into picks.  Guy looks out of shape to me.   I don't think he can move around in the pocket anymore.  He just looked sssoooooo  slow.   Chicago looks like a good fit for Dalton but I think Bears fans would not like that one.   

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I agree Rivers is past it and wouldn't want him taking over my franchise. But the Colts are said to be interested in him. Brady seems likely to go to Tampa or maybe SF. If the Bengals are able to trade Andy, I'd think NE is the most likely landing spot.

Brady to Tenn or San Diego is my bet.  Vrabel is his friend but the Los Angeles Chargers will be desperate to put butts in the seats.

26 minutes ago, bfine said:

Good to see Joe on the Orange team

Media:  Joe Burrow obviously will have issues in the NFL...for evidence, look no further than the fact that the NerfHouse has 3 people on the Orange team against only 2 people on the Blue team...this was obviously done to compensate for Joe's inaccuracy and incompentency...he also has to use a smaller gun due to 9" hands.  Note also that he was laying on bedding that was Jet's Green.

• 4 weeks later...

Had missed this column a few weeks ago on The Athletic (which is free for a few months - I cannot recommend it higher to you all) - a "what the scouts are saying" piece:

https://theathletic.com/1665631/2020/03/17/mcginn-scouts-size-up-their-top-prospects-on-offense/

Joe Burrow, LSU (6-3 1/2, 221): He threw for a record 60 touchdowns after firing just 16 touchdown passes in 2018, his first season at LSU after three of backup duty at Ohio State. “The one-year wonder does worry you a little bit but he’s put so much good stuff on tape,” one scout said. “His last four or five games, that’s as good as any quarterback has played in a long time. Now, he had a great supporting cast. I get that. But, man, he was dialing it up. Just average physical tools. He’s not going to amaze you with his arm strength. He’s a good athlete but he’s not a great athlete. He’s not impressive, but it all came together. You love the makeup. He’s a coach’s son, and his understated swagger kind of as opposed to the overstated swagger of Baker (Mayfield).” He dominated voting for the Heisman Trophy and elected not to run or throw at the combine. “The interesting thing about him, when you look at his face, he reminds me of Peyton Manning,” another scout said. “You look into his eyes and see the determination. He’s a much better athlete than Manning. He can run, too. I estimated 4.7 (seconds in the 40). Peyton was more of a statue. The arm strength is about the same … and being resourceful and making excellent decisions. The composure, the confidence, the mental toughness. He’s special.”

Choose a Player: Addison, BryanAdeyemi-John, JordanAumavae, PopoAumavae-Laulu, MalaesalaBass, T.J. Battles, KarstenBreeze, BradyBridges, TrikwezeButterfield, JayCollins, JustinCrocker, IsaahCunningham, MJDavis, DaewoodDelgado, JoshDenis, JonathanDollars, SeanDorlus, BrandonDye, TravisEaford, Ge'monFaoliu, AndrewFaoliu, AustinForsyth, AlexFuna, MaseGraham Jr., ThomasGreenfield, JJHabibi-Likio, CyrusHarvey, JohnHeaukulani, NateHerbert, Patrick Hill, JamalHolland, JevonJackson, AdrianJames, DJJaramillo, DawsonJeannis, TevinJohnson, DJ Johnson III, JohnnyJohnson Jr., AndrewJones, StevenKampmoyer, HunterKatleman, HenryKoth, TaylorLenoir, DeommodoreLewis, Camden Lewis, DevinLogan, VincenzoMa'ae, TrevenMaduike, KJMathis, DruMcCormick, CamMcKinley III, VeroneMillen, CaleNanney, TylerNevarez, MiguelNiu, SampsonNoland, LucasPatton, CrossPickett, NickPittman, Mycah Poti, Sua'avaPoutasi, SamRandazzo, ChrisRedd, JaylonScott, JordonSewell, NoahSewell, PeneiShipley, JakeShough, TylerSlade-Matautia, IsaacSnee, TomStephens IV, SteveSwinson, BradynTauanu'u, JonahThibodeaux, KayvonTownsend, IsaacVecchi, Jack Verdell, CJWalk, RyanWare-Hudson, KeyonWaters, JRWebb, SpencerWiebe, NickWilhoite, LanceWilliams, BennettWilliams, DevonWilliams, KorbinWilliams, KristianWilson, JayvaunWright, MykaelWysocki, MaxYaffe, BradleyYanagi, PeytonYoung, Cole   @EricEvansPhoto
Sewell Headshot

58PENEI SEWELL
  • POSITION

Offensive Lineman
  • HEIGHT

6-6
  • WEIGHT

• CLASS

Junior
  • HOMETOWN

Malaeimi, American Samoa
  • HIGH SCHOOL

Desert Hills HS (Utah)

Biography

Notes To Know
» First Polynesian, first sophomore offensive lineman and first Duck to win the Outland Trophy.
» Joined LaMichael James (2010) and Marcus Mariota (2014) as the only Oregon players to be unanimous first-team All-Americans.
» Finished sophomore campaign as the top-graded offensive lineman in PFF history (since 2014).
» Oregon is 17-3 over the last two seasons when he’s in the starting lineup.
» Has allowed just one sack over 1,376 snaps the last two seasons.

As A Sophomore (2019)
» Outland Trophy Winner
» Polynesian College Football Co-Player of the Year
» Morris Trophy Winner
» AP Pac-12 Co-Offensive Player of the Year
» PFF Pac-12 Player of the Year
» Unanimous first-team All-American
» AFCA All-America first team
» AP All-America first team
» FWAA All-America first team
» Sporting News All-America first team
» Walter Camp All-America first team
» Bleacher Report All-America first team
» CBS Sports All-America first team
» ESPN.com All-America first team
» PFF All-America first team
» Sports Illustrated All-America first team
» The Athletic All-America first team
» USA TODAY All-America first team
» AP Pac-12 All-Conference first team
» Coaches Pac-12 All-Conference first team
» Outland Trophy Offensive Player of the Month (September)
» Four-Time Pac-12 Offensive Lineman of the Week (Week 3, 4, 7 & 14)
» Six-time PFF National Team of the Week (Week 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 & 14)
» Nine-Time Pac-12 Team of the Week (Week 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13 & 14)

Finished as the top-graded offensive lineman in the nation and in Pro Football Focus history at 95.5 … Became the first player in Oregon history to win the Outland Trophy … Also led the nation with a PFF run-blocking grade of 95.3 and was third with a pass-blocking grade of 91.1 … Named Pac-12 Offensive Lineman of the Week four times while no other  team earned the award more than twice … Started 13 of 14 games at left tackle … Did not allow a sack over 926 snaps … Allowed just seven pressures and two hits on the QB … Did not allow a pressure, hurry or hit on the QB in nine contests … Finished with a team-best 58 knockdowns … Had five or more knockdowns in six games … Was the top-graded offensive lineman in the Pac-12 by PFF after seven of 12 regular season games and tops in the nation three times (Week 3, 7 & 😎 … Finished as the top-graded offensive lineman in the country by PFF for the month of September (94.7) and October (95.3) 

7 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

If the unthinkable were to happen and the league cancelled the season before Burrow signed a contract, would he be free to just not sign at that point, and re-enter the draft again next year, since he wouldn't be playing this year, either way?

No.

Archived