* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

32 minutes ago, bengaled said:

I hope that includes improving this pathetic OL we have?

If you go back at look at Mixon's rushing yards for the last 4 games, you can see that the O-line definitely improved

Cleveland 146 yards

New England 136 yards (BB said they had no answer for him all game)

Miami 50 yards (he was sick)

Cleveland 162 yards

The line is not as far off as you may think.

A changed in blocking schemes late in the season really showed what they are capable of

45 minutes ago, bengaled said:

Yes, you reach, if reaching means you're doing everything possible to protect the new franchise QB, to hell if you've reached 5-10 slots,  You're going to see the benefits pay off later that you DID reach. If Burrow goes down to a significant injury, because you were worried that you might have reached and you end up losing a legitimate player for a lesser one, you're going to rethink every decision you have previously made and realize how you had the option to have done something about it and pissed that opportunity away by being greedy.  

If you reach it means the guy sucks.  If the player is good it's not a reach. 

The o-line isn't as bad as you say.  The line is getting a  couple new players already. The chances that a rookie lineman picked in the second round or later is going to step in and do a great job is slim, very slim.  You pick the player that you think makes your team better.

1 hour ago, SmoothD said:

If you go back at look at Mixon's rushing yards for the last 4 games, you can see that the O-line definitely improved

Cleveland 146 yards

New England 136 yards (BB said they had no answer for him all game)

Miami 50 yards (he was sick)

Cleveland 162 yards

The line is not as far off as you may think.

A changed in blocking schemes late in the season really showed what they are capable of

Perhaps a more indicative look would be at pass blocking, given the subject matter we're talking about here, don't you think?

I'm split by the decision to draft Joe Burrow.

1.  This is number 1 for a reason.  Our Offensive line sucks donkey balls.  We were ranked in the bottom three of the entire NFL.  We have done very little to improve in this area and hoping that those rookies or previously injured players step up is hoping for a miracle...  NFL stands for Not For Long which is how much time Burrow will have before being carted off the field.  

2.  History.  Not to be ignored.  Our ability to draft over the years and our misfortune in the 1st round is less than adequate.  ...and when we did draft a good QB in the 1st can you guess what happened to them or guess what our playoff success was ?

3.  Details.  One good year.  Arguably supported by the best cast in college football.  Small hands.  Yes, small hands are historically not successful for reasons.  Fumbles and the ball is larger in the NFL than college.  LSU is not a known producer of great QBs with the exception of YA Tittle (a million years ago).  Why couldn't he earn a starting spot at Ohio in the 3 years? he was there  if he was reportedly a 4 star recruit and the second coming of Jesus Christ as touted just about everywhere ?  Where are the plays being called at on the coaching staff ?  How much experience calling plays does that person have ?... 

Throw out one or all of the above.  We are still left with the facts that he has too many variables working against him.  With that said, on paper Burrow is the best player available at number one but would not be worth it if Miami would dangle an appropriate number of picks to move up.

Debbie-Downer.jpg

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The o-line isn't as bad as you say.  The line is getting a  couple new players already. The chances that a rookie lineman picked in the second round or later is going to step in and do a great job is slim, very slim.  You pick the player that you think makes your team better.

No it doesn't. It more likely means you haven't designed your board correctly, one that emphasizes you long term needs of protecting the franchise you're investing in. The player I am specifically talking about here is Isaiah Wilson. Many prognosticators have said there's a good chance he's not even available and will go in round one, in fact Daniel Jeremiah did just that. Despite that, I think he's viewed as a mid 2nd round pick and yeah, I would reach a bit for him.

6 minutes ago, Numbers said:

1.  This is number 1 for a reason.  Our Offensive line sucks donkey balls.  We were ranked in the bottom three of the entire NFL.  We have done very little to improve in this area and hoping that those rookies or previously injured players step up is hoping for a miracle...  NFL stands for Not For Long which is how much time Burrow will have before being carted off the field.  

2.  History.  Not to be ignored.  Our ability to draft over the years and our misfortune in the 1st round is less than adequate.  ...and when we did draft a good QB in the 1st can you guess what happened to them or guess what our playoff success was ?

3.  Details.  One good year.  Arguably supported by the best cast in college football.  Small hands.  Yes, small hands are historically not successful for reasons.  Fumbles and the ball is larger in the NFL than college.  LSU is not a known producer of great QBs with the exception of YA Tittle (a million years ago).  Why couldn't he earn a starting spot at Ohio in the 3 years? he was there  if he was reportedly a 4 star recruit and the second coming of Jesus Christ as touted just about everywhere ?  Where are the plays being called at on the coaching staff ?  How much experience calling plays does that person have ?... 

Throw out one or all of the above.  We are still left with the facts that he has too many variables working against him.  With that said, on paper Burrow is the best player available at number one but would not be worth it if Miami would dangle an appropriate number of picks to move up.

Debbie-Downer.jpg

There are some things i definitely agree with you in this post....namely item #1. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

'The Oline isnt as bad as you say."..

No...its worse....

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

No, a reach means at least 1 better player was available, IMO, or, more commonly you took him a "bracket" earlier than you (or the "experts") had him graded.  A player can be good and still be a reach.

10 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

In my view Joe Burrow is the most impressive college QB I have ever seen. He has the vision of Brady, pocket awareness of Rodgers, schematics of Peyton, swagger of Namath, confidence of Favre, touch of Kurt Warner, and drive to win of Michael Jordan. The guy is an absolute once in a generation stud as an overall QB. Clutch. Intelligence. Poise. A winner on every level. And there is no AMOUNT of picks the Bengals should take to trade away his rights. Not for 5 Miami first round picks even!

He proves that when it comes to quarterback it is less about hand size and fast ball speed and more about your understanding of the game and being a leader of a team. He has the "it" you can't quantify. You can see the fire in his eyes where he always thinks he can win. That's not something you can teach, or give someone. 

Best college season of all time. Multi-sport athlete with sneaky speed. A natural leader. Charismatic. Very high wonderlic. Masters Degree. Overcame adversity. And a made in Disney biography where Mr. Ohio slays the undefeated golden boy 'Sunshine' to give him his only loss ever and then returns home to the place that denied him glory (Ohio State) to win the Bengals their first Super Bowl. You can not write this movie script. 

Hes the new Prince of Cincinnati..

Do you like the idea of RT Isaiah Wilson at 2 and. LB Willie Gay in the third or do you have others in mind?

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Hes the new Prince of Cincinnati..

Do you like the idea of RT Isaiah Wilson at 2 and. LB Willie Gay in the third or do you have others in mind?

I just hope they don't reach for Willie Gay in the second.

I would go Baun.

If Wilson is there in Round Two, he would be hard to pass up.  And I don't think the Bengals would.

But your premise of Wilson Rd 2 and Gay Rd 3 would be hard to pass up.

Gay stands a good chance of being gone in Rd 3 so I would think Malik Harrison, LB Ohio State

I'm actually more fired up about the second round than the first.  I plan to watch the Bengals pregame special at 7:30 on Cincinnati Channel 12

(check out the Bengals website bengals.com for options for out of towners) and watch the pick and go back to binge watching until the second

round comes up.

27 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Now that would be a pretty damn good draft!!  

Would love that draft (with maybe another pick at each spot).  I want a capable long-term. RT.

Long-term, I'm psyched most by Burrow.  I love his potential (if they can surround him with the right talent).   His choice though is pretty anti-climactic.  The most interesting point tonight will be when choice #32 is made and we see what will be sitting there for us at #33 tomorrow.

Second-most important question of the night: Will Dalton still be a Bengal tomorrow?  Saturday?  My guess is Yes.  To much money.  If he does do, it will be for a future pick or a warm body, IMO.

2 hours ago, Numbers said:

Debbie-Downer.jpg

I am an Ohio State fan and always liked Urban.  But the more I think about Joe's time there....how many true NFL QB's did Urban Meyer create?  Alex Smith was OK.  The jury is still out on Haskins.  Urban made some great college QB's but not so hot Pro QB's.  Maybe it wasn't skill that kept Joe off, maybe he just didn't fit Urban's style as well as others.

2 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I am an Ohio State fan and always liked Urban.  But the more I think about Joe's time there....how many true NFL QB's did Urban Meyer create?  Alex Smith was OK.  The jury is still out on Haskins.  Urban made some great college QB's but not so hot Pro QB's.  Maybe it wasn't skill that kept Joe off, maybe he just didn't fit Urban's style as well as others.

The main issue was Urban loved JT and was loyal to him to a fault.  Had Day been head coach in 2016 I think Burrow would have been the starter.

5 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

That was then..Urban did allright with them...

Jor did better with LSU....

Now we have him...oh yeah!

1 hour ago, Jason said:

No, a reach means at least 1 better player was available, IMO, or, more commonly you took him a "bracket" earlier than you (or the "experts") had him graded.  A player can be good and still be a reach.

Sigh...right over all your heads.  I could give two shits what all the experts say.  If you pick a guy, especially as early as #33, and he is good you didn't reach.  All those other jokers were wrong.  If you pick him and he sucks, no matter what the experts said, you blew it and "reached."  The Coslet/Akili Smith story is a great example of why it is dumb.  Stupid term used by people trying to judge people doing a job they would love to do, but for which are unqualified.  You'll never build a winning team picking by what the "experts" say.  You have to have some balls and take the right players.

5 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Sigh...right over all your heads.  I could give two shits what all the experts say.  If you pick a guy, especially as early as #33, and he is good you didn't reach.  All those other jokers were wrong.  If you pick him and he sucks, no matter what the experts said, you blew it and "reached."  The Coslet/Akili Smith story is a great example of why it is dumb.  Stupid term used by people trying to judge people doing a job they would love to do, but for which are unqualified.  You'll never build a winning team picking by what the "experts" say.  You have to have some balls and take the right players.

No, I get what you are saying.  I just disagree.

6 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

So your saying be ballsy and take Isaiah at 2 and Willie Gay at 3??

In some folks eyes (especially these media forecasters) that would be reaching a bit..

Id reach then....

1 minute ago, Jason said:

No, I get what you are saying.  I just disagree.

Glad you aren't running the Bengals draft.

If you expect to have any success as a team you have to BE something.  Something better than other teams.  Maybe it's speed.  You want a fast defense and skill players.  Maybe it's character.  Maybe you want to be the bully like the Stealers have done for years.  Fuck them, BTW.  You design your draft around that something and you are certainly going to make different decisions because of it.  More often then not teams that draft like the experts say are losers.

Archived