* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/ken-anderson-joe-burrow-super-bowl

"He never had a bad game. He looked the same game in, game out," Anderson said. "I don't care if it was the National Championship Game or another, [he] played the toughest schedule, performed at a high level."

"I really liked his accuracy. You saw him make NFL throws in every game, whether it's moving and the high back shoulder throw to a wide receiver and he had some great talent around him, but he put them in positions to make plays. I'm really excited he's a part of the Bengals."

There will be an adjustment period for Burrow. It won't be all sunshine and rainbows for the No. 1 pick. The 1981 NFL MVP believes he'll be up to the challenge. 

"The game will be a little bit faster for him," Anderson said. "A lot of times you see college quarterbacks — receivers are wide open. It's not necessarily the case in the NFL. Learning to anticipate that and you may think a guy's open, but putting the ball in the right spot, he becomes open. It's encouraging because you see him make those throws every game. I think he's going to have tremendous success."

Joe Burrow's Year 1 impact

Bucky Brooks

NFL.com Analyst

A look at why Joe Burrow could have the Bengals back in contention sooner than you think ...

It's quite difficult for a rookie quarterback to immediately engineer a dramatic turnaround, but Joe Burrow could help the Cincinnati Bengals re-emerge as a competitive team in the AFC quicker than many anticipate. I'm not proclaiming the reigning Heisman Trophy winner is an overnight savior, but he's stepping into a program that is undergoing a cultural change while retaining enough weapons to significantly smooth a rookie quarterback's transition to the NFL.

I know, I know: The Bengals just went 2-14, which is why they were in position to draft Burrow at No. 1 overall in the first place. It's difficult to envision such a franchise being a group on the rise. But trust me: This isn't your typical top-pick-holding team.

It's uncommon for a two-win organization to have a blue-chip running back (Joe Mixon) and a pair of top-tier pass catchers (A.J. Green and Tyler Boyd) already in the fold. Not to mention, Cincy spent the first pick of the second round on Clemson WR Tee Higgins, a big-bodied vertical playmaker who's excellent on 50-50 balls. That's plenty of firepower at the skill positions. On the line, the Bengals essentially add another first-round pick in Jonah Williams, the 11th overall pick from the 2019 NFL Draft who missed all of last season after injuring his shoulder during team activities in June. Williams, who was the first offensive lineman selected in last year's draft, slots in at left tackle. Although questions persist about the Alabama product's ability to emerge as a five-star blind-side protector, given his less-than-ideal physical tools, the Bengals are betting on Williams' polished technique and competitiveness to enable him to hold his own against superior athletes on the edge.

If Williams develops into a blue-chip bookend, the Bengals can check off two of the boxes on the "3 Ps" formula (play caller, playmakers and protection) that enables young quarterbacks to enjoy early success in the league. This leaves second-year head coach Zac Taylor as the critical factor to Burrow's success.

Taylor's still acclimating to calling plays in the NFL while overseeing the entire operation, but when I spoke to him at both the Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine, he told me that he was getting more comfortable in his role and felt better prepared to handle all of the responsibilities on his plate. I believe we will see a more confident and composed play caller in 2020.

With a year under his belt, Taylor will be able to build better game plans for his quarterback. And I loved what I heard from Burrow on a recent RapSheet + Friends podcast, where the rookie signal-caller talked about how Taylor is fully soliciting his input on the playbook.

"I think the direction that they're heading is going to fit me even more. They're going to do things that I'm comfortable with, and that's a great sign," Burrow said to my colleague Ian Rapoport. "They had me put down my top 10 plays that I had and send it to them, so they can study them and see if they [can] have them in the offense, if they don't [already] have them in the offense."

The collaboration between Taylor and Burrow is essential to building a championship-caliber offense. Moreover, the trust developed between the head coach and his new franchise face is part of creating a culture that fosters a turnaround.

Urban Meyer joined the "Move The Sticks" podcast earlier this week and discussed Burrow, who spent his first three years of college with the coach at Ohio State before transferring to LSU.

"He's at the Cincinnati Bengals now and they were 2-14 last year," Meyer said. "Do you want to help Joe become great? Surround him with a great culture with great leadership and some great players. If you do that, he'll be great. If not, he won't."

Meyer's points regarding culture shouldn't be ignored. Young players need to be nurtured in the right environment to maximize individual and collective potential. Taylor is attempting to transform the Bengals' culture by bringing in players who understand and embrace a championship standard.

"We're not just trying to win games -- we're trying to win championships," Taylor told reporters shortly after the draft. "Ultimately, you have to think long term with that championship mindset. People that are willing to work harder than any team in the league. We feel like we've added the right people. Not for one second did we compromise talent with the guys we added.

"Sometimes you can say someone is a high-character guy, but you maybe have to research to find out if the talent is good enough. Our staff did an excellent job of finding the right guys with combinations of both things -- character and talent. That's going to make us a better team."

Many coaches believe in taking players from winning programs, particularly championship programs, because that signals that they're willing to do the little things required to win at a high level. From their work ethic and discipline to their competitive spirit, the best players on championship teams are also the hardest workers.

That's why the Bengals signed six defensive free agents that were on playoff teams and drafted six players who were team captains. The addition of the captains, in particular, is important due to their proven leadership skills. Captains understand how to carry out the head coach's message and hold their teammates accountable.

"When you say a guy with an edge, that's a guy who's not afraid to hold his teammates to a higher standard," Taylor told reporters. "They have a killer instinct on the field playing against an opponent, but at the same time, that's not where most of your time is spent. Most of your time is spent in meeting rooms, on practice fields or doing individual stuff. We're going to get to where we want to go if not just the coaches hold the players to a high standard, but the players hold themselves to that standard."

The Bengals aren't likely to make a worst-to-first turnaround in this AFC North with a rookie quarterback at the helm, but Burrow's arrival coincides with a culture change that could result in the team forging a quicker-than-expected climb up the charts.

https://www.nfl.com/news/joe-burrow-s-year-1-impact-isaiah-simmons-role-and-much-more

Dan Patrick had Gary Danielson on his show recently talking about Burrow (and Tua). Dan said Rick Neuheisel compared Burrow to Brady, and Danielson said he saw some of that, but his comparison was Kenny Anderson. I can see that. Kenny was very accurate, the arm strength is probably similar, and Kenny was more athletic than he’s often given credit for. I didn’t see Kenny prior to 1981, but I think Burrow has a little more field general to him, at least at this point, but otherwise I think the comparison isn’t bad. What do you other “old timers” think? I can’t post the tweet because I’m on my phone, but if you’re on Twitter look up Dan Patrick and you’ll find it easily. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Dan Patrick had Gary Danielson on his show recently talking about Burrow (and Tua). Dan said Rick Neuheisel compared Burrow to Brady, and Danielson said he saw some of that, but his comparison was Kenny Anderson. I can see that. Kenny was very accurate, the arm strength is probably similar, and Kenny was more athletic than he’s often given credit for. I didn’t see Kenny prior to 1981, but I think Burrow has a little more field general to him, at least at this point, but otherwise I think the comparison isn’t bad. What do you other “old timers” think? I can’t post the tweet because I’m on my phone, but if you’re on Twitter look up Dan Patrick and you’ll find it easily. 

I compare him to Montana..

With a pass protecting wall and good receivers he should be what we expect him to be..

The best we've ever had at quarterbacking this team..

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Man, I’m excited about Burrow too, but maybe we shouldn’t put too much on the young man?  Let’s let him be Joe Burrow and see where that takes us. 

Well, it should take us to a Championship if we let him be Joe Burrow.

8 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Man, I’m excited about Burrow too, but maybe we shouldn’t put too much on the young man?  Let’s let him be Joe Burrow and see where that takes us. 

We can put all the pressure we want him.  We are message board fans.  I doubt he cares about social media, unlike losers like Keith Rivers and Rey the Drunk Maualuga.

2 hours ago, tibor75 said:

We can put all the pressure we want him.  We are message board fans.  I doubt he cares about social media, unlike losers like Keith Rivers and Rey the Drunk Maualuga.

Keith Rivers. That’s a name I haven’t thought of in a long time 

6 hours ago, tibor75 said:

True. 

At the same time I can hear the vitrol on this board if he struggles in any way next season. 

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Another Steeler casualty..

Another NFL rule change based upon Stealer cheap shots. 

Hines Ward rule

Kimo von Olhoffen rule

Ryan Shazier rule

All cheap hits on Bengals players in the past 20 years.

7 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Hines Ward rule

Kimo von Olhoffen rule

Ryan Shazier rule

Sadly, that one isn't.  They put that rule in place when someone took Brady out.

9 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Hines Ward rule

Kimo von Olhoffen rule

Ryan Shazier rule

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Sadly, that one isn't.  They put that rule in place when someone took Brady out.

More than 20 years but  The Linda Blair/Exorcist shot with Keith Gary on Kenny Anderson.

Sickening to even think about.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

More than 20 years but  The Linda Blair/Exorcist shot with Keith Gary on Kenny Anderson.

Sickening to even think about.

I remember that well. My neck hurts just thinking about it. 

I was there. For a few moments, we all thought he may have died (seriously). Then, Gary gets up and starts running and jumping around. He was greeted heartily by Bengal linemen, but unfortunately the refs got mixed into it too soon. 

14 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

True. 

At the same time I can hear the vitrol on this board if he struggles in any way next season. 

Don't be ridiculous, when has a rookie QB ever struggled adapting to the NFL?  He's a Heisman Trophy winner & first overall pick QB, those guys never fail.

He's a  legend after all.   Winning pro football games and stuff should be easy.

Archived