* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

See, this is the kind of stuff you'd see from the NFL all the time and they'd NEVER have the Bengals represented. I remember going out to the bars on Sundays (when it was safe) and seeing the big Sunday Ticket banners up and you'd never see any of our players on 'em. Burrow changes all of that.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:00 PM, claptonrocks said:

Stand along with them in many areas of improving.their lives..

When people commit arson loot stores 

Impose violence on anyone that disagrees with them then I turn away..

I mean, they’re being murdered by law enforcement. Indiscriminately and publicly. Which is the worst of the crimes you mentioned and what the black community has been enduring since they were dragged here in chains 300 years ago?

57 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

I mean, they’re being murdered by law enforcement. Indiscriminately and publicly. Which is the worst of the crimes you mentioned and what the black community has been enduring since they were dragged here in chains 300 years ago?

My plan would be to get impovershed children a base for education..

I mentioned minorities in another thread 

when i should have said impoverished..

Instead of a gym build a learning center..

On 8/27/2020 at 11:00 PM, claptonrocks said:

Stand along with them in many areas of improving.their lives..

When people commit arson loot stores 

Impose violence on anyone that disagrees with them then I turn away..

4 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

My plan would be to get impovershed children a base for education..

I mentioned minorities in another thread 

when i should have said impoverished..

Instead of a gym build a learning center..

This is not the correct sub-forum, but issues have become so tangled up recently that I hope the mods will give me the benefit of the doubt. You deserve an honest (and earnest) reply. I don't doubt your sincerity; I think you do mean well. But I want to try to show you that your approach cannot, and will not, work.

Let's do a mind-experiment. Walk a mile in these shoes.

You consider yourself to be an honorable and respectable person. You've got a job, you care about your family and friends, you don't actively wish harm on others. You just want to live a decent life for you and yours.

But your boss is a micro-manager. In fact, all your bosses are micro-managers. Always looking over your shoulder. You are not stupid and furthermore, you really want to do a good job because, hey, you care about your integrity and striving for excellence is a part of that.

Still, those damn bosses. They won't give you the freedom to use your experience to make the operation better, even though you know that some of your solutions are really good and will work. Furthermore, they are always looking over your shoulder, pointing out meaningless corrections. "No, don't do it that way, do it this way." All day long. Every day. Different bosses. All your bosses. And these are not merely isolated interventions into how you go about your day; they are constant--all the damn time. They are not only being petty about matters, but they never let up. They are always looking at you.

You begin to get the feeling that they don't trust you. This bothers you because you think you are trustworthy. You're trying to be upright , to do the right thing. But, it doesn't seem to matter. No matter how often you try to explain to the bosses that you really mean well, they still micro-manage. They still watch you like a hawk. It's bothersome and eventually, it makes you angry. And it's a righteous anger, too. You're not crazy, you just want to get along and have the liberty to enjoy your professionalism and your life in general.

Let's go a bit further. You are tough, you are in the middle of this hellish work environment and it never seems to get better. It gets worse from time to time though. But again, you are tough and smart, so you figure out ways to navigate the bullshit, to make your life as good as possible under the circumstances. And let's say you even meet with some success. You get a minor promotion here and there. But still, those damn micro-managers--they don't go away. Always there, always judging you, always ready to correct what they perceive to be the slightest slip up. And one day, as you walk into that little office you have been given, a couple of your subordinates walk in, people who supposedly work for you. There's a problem. It causes some disagreements. But what you notice is that there are really two problems and it isn't the first, professional problem that gives you pause. It's the second problem that really bothers you. You notice that your subordinates are micro-managers, too. They're looking at you, they're judging you. And even though they think you have some limited competence, they don't trust you because you are somehow "different." And it isn't a difference of personality or of character. It's a difference because you simply look different.

And you realize, this micro-management isn't only about you, it's about all the people who look different the same way you look different. And you realize, this is the same crap that your parents had to go through. And your grandparents went through. And back into the deep past. It never changes, not in any substantial way at the core of matters. And then, you have an even more terrible thought: it's going to be this way for your children, and for their children, and for their children's children.

It's never going to end. And why? Is it your fault for being born the way you were born? Is it your fault that the micro-managers are going to micro-manage? And why do you have to be on the receiving end of this artificial bullshit?

...to be continued.

You with me so far? That's a tough mile to walk in someone else shoes. But there's more. And it's worse, if that can be possible.

You are sitting in your little office after your revelation. You have had this epiphany: "It's the system that's rotten, not me." But you have some doubts because after a lifetime of being told what you can do and especially what you cannot do by all these micro-managers--many of whom are less competent than you but they get to be micro-managers because they aren't "different" like you are. You realize this simple, fundamental truth: because you were not born into the micro-manager clan, you have few choices.

You can "go along to get along" and get thrown a tidbit here and there so long as you don't rock the boat. You just need to accept the fact that you will always be one of the rowers; you will never get to be a Captain. Or, you can be a squeaky wheel. You can try to change the system; you can try to make them open up membership in the clan for you and those who look like you. You don't want anything extra-special, you just want a chance to be treated the same way as everyone else. So, you decide to rock the boat a little, let's see what happens.

So, you let out a few hints of your intentions and, lo and behold, some of the micro-managers sneak up to you while you are in the break room. They whisper, "I'm with you, but we have to be careful because I'm just going along to get along, too."

So, you rock the boat. And then you look around for those micro-managers who said they were on your side. Where are they? Well, a few hardy souls are there, but most of them are nowhere to be found. You're fucked. And so are the few hardy souls. But they are not as fucked as you are. And those micro-managers who said they were on your side but didn't show when it matters? They don't know you any more.

You lose your job. Those tidbits that got thrown to you because you went along with the system disappear. But you are tough and you still have some integrity, so you fight to hold on to your beliefs. But it's hard. And even though you can barely feed yourself or your family, you still do your best to stand tall.

Then what happens. If you are Medgar Evers, you get murdered. If you are Malcolm X, you get murdered. If you are Martin Luther King, Jr., you get murdered. If you are Fred Hampton, you get murdered. But that's not all. I mean, you don't even have to be a leader. If you are Emmitt Till, you get murdered. If you are Tamir Rice, you get murdered. If you step out of line in any way that the micro-managers perceive to be threatening, you just might get murdered.

So, maybe you throw a punch or two back. Might as well go down fighting. Like any respectable person would.

...to be continued.

End of thought experiment.

Now look, I'm a white dude, and though I believe I have tried to be good, to fight for what is right, and to be on the good side of history, the bottom line is that what I have just writen doesn't even come close to understanding what it means to be black in America. If I have done a decent job, then maybe I have scratched the surface a bit.

The problem is the system. And it is the system that needs to be changed. It's not enough for well-intentioned white people to throw more tidbits to blacks if those tidbits simply reinforce the system. Here, have a better educational experience isn't enough. It's not for us to "give" black people anything. They meliorate and maybe help a little, but they don;t create any fundamental change.

Why is that? Because, under that approach, we are still making the rules. And those rules, no matter how subtle and implicit and benevolent they might be, still carry this "tax" on black people: "Don't rock the boat because if you do then we'll take them away. And if you really get uppity, we'll murder you."

Violence is not the answer. We all know that. But let's not pretend that black people are evil because every now and then there are eruptions of violence. Our very system is violent. It pokes and prods and punches and when someone finally fights back, it murders. Murders.

And that is on you and me, so long as we tacitly accept that this is the way it has to be. And we all know it doesn't have to be that way.

Again, I'm a white guy, so it's not really my place to say if my suggestion is the right one. I do think it is a step in the right direction, though.

My suggestion is this: We must be universal. Everyone must have an equal opportunity to make the rules. That to me is at the core and if it isn't enough, it is a start. And let's face it, we steadfastly deny this right to blacks and other minorities. Everyone gets an unfettered, legitimate opportunity to make the rules. So, we really need to break the cycle and knock off the bullshit. Half measures won't do. Only full, honest acknowledgement that minorities have been denied the chance to make the rules will set us on the path to making this right.

I'll leave you with this; it's worth a listen. Be aware, this is Killer Mike. It's not White Toast and Cream Cheese Mike. From 2106. Language and forceful views within:

Joe is a hell of a competitor:

"If you wasted a day, there's somebody out there who didn't waste a day and you lost the day. I'm a competitor. I want to win every single day," Burrow said. "And I'm always competing against myself to get better every day. And when I'm competing against myself, I'm also competing against all the other quarterbacks, all the other defenses, all the other defensive coordinators in the league, so I can't waste a day, especially as a rookie. I'm going to attack every day like it's Sunday, like it's the Super Bowl."

Sounds like a firm grasp of the problem, but I don’t see a solution. How?  How do we get there?  What steps need to be taken?  Don’t say “listen.”   That just helps to understand the problem.  We need actual action to move forward.  Some of Clapton’s suggestions could help.  Inner city minority children wake up every day behind not just do to race, but a substandard educational system as well.  It needs to be addressed with effort and money.  How we police needs to change.  We need police, but they can’t pull guns as their default reaction. I’ve heard nothing from either political party that would do squat to significantly change the status quo.  

Racism won’t go away tomorrow.  What’s happening today is pushing that fight forward, but I see zero progress on structural changes to correct  the issues you describe. 

There needs to be a broad based increase in the level and form of education. Inner city schools and poorer area schools have kids in it that do not eat well enough and do not have the same education tools to work with. I would start there - it would literally be a 20 year experiment. But many studies have proven that basic nutrition is critical at the younger ages in learning. Combine that with a better learning environment (not just poor black kids but all poor kids) and over time you increase the overall level of education, tolerance, understanding, etc - and you can start breaking cycles.  

It seems to me that a lot of the current racism and discrimination stems from poor education of 'white folk' - so they have to be included in the education reform. 

If 20 years ago there had been a focus on smart nutrition (in schools) and better tools(computers, books, classes on these topics, more teachers, etc.) for learning in all schools, where would we be today? What higher percentage of under privileged kids would now be breaking the cycle?

Stop funding schools through property taxes, poorer kids end up with shittier schools that way.

Also a more intimidate thing we can do is end qualified immunity and make any guilty verdicts in cases of police overstepping (not just brutality, but everything) come out of their pension funds. Wanna watch these so-called good cops (btw if you are a good cop and dont report the bad cops, you are not a good cop) quickly make changes to weed out the bad ones? Fuck with their money.

21 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Stop funding schools through property taxes, poorer kids end up with shittier schools that way.

Also a more intimidate thing we can do is end qualified immunity and make any guilty verdicts in cases of police overstepping (not just brutality, but everything) come out of their pension funds. Wanna watch these so-called good cops (btw if you are a good cop and dont report the bad cops, you are not a good cop) quickly make changes to weed out the bad ones? Fuck with their money.

Some good suggestions.  Hitting people in the wallet is generally effective as long as it's within reason.  For example...why is that actress who lied and paid bribes to get her kid in college in jail?  We shouldn't be paying to incarcerate crap like that.  Hit 'em in the wallet.  Hard. 

Archived