* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

13 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The Forbes list of NFL franchise values showed double the income and about $1B more in franchise value. 

Franchise value and income are different.  I don’t think Mike Brown cares about franchise value as he has no intentions to sell.  

Here is where I got the revenue numbers.  You can probably see it once then a paywall pops up. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193553/revenue-of-national-football-league-teams-in-2010/

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The Stealers paid over $40M more in player salaries than the Bengals last season.  I saw a revenue chart of all the NFL teams briefly, then it was behind a paywall, and the difference $439M for the Stealers and $380M for the Bengals.  I think it's safe to expect the Stealers other expenses are higher than the Bengals as well.  No chance they make double the income of the Bengals. 

The Stealers had $206,878,000 in cap spending last year which was 3rd in the league.  They entered the year with $20,991 in cap space.  They didn't make the playoffs.   They currently have -$2,000,000 in 2020 cap space.  The reality is the Stealers blew themselves up last year and they are in terrible shape.  Big Jen is their only worthy QB and he won't be 100% this year. 

The Bengals had $188,186,000 in cap spending last year which was 15th in the league.  That was MORE than the Saints, Seahawks, Ravens, Cowboys, Eagles and Chiefs.  The  Bengals currently have $49,000,000 in cap space which puts it in the middle of the league or average.

The Stealers don't make as much money as people think.  Their ticket prices are not much higher than the Bengals and their home attendance was 23rd in the league and only 91% to capacity or 27th in the league.  They have the same small market issues as Cincy to include fans staying home when the team isn't competitive. 

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

The issue with our weak ass line is they were being pushed back into the pocket on too many occasions. Does not mean they were beat ratherthe blocker was giving up ground. Price was the worst.  The lineman are looking at the QB, when his arm goes back to throw is when their hand goes up.  They don't rush with their hands in the air. 

No doubt our oline was horrid; however, I don't think we can blame every Andy shortcoming on them. He most likely has a lot of balls batted down because he's the king of Time To Release. The rushers know he's going to throw on his first look and can better anticipate it. 

4 minutes ago, bfine said:

No doubt our oline was horrid; however, I don't think we can blame every Andy shortcoming on them. He most likely has a lot of balls batted down because he's the king of Time To Release. The rushers know he's going to throw on his first look and can better anticipate it. 

Probably because he didn't have time for a second one.  The quick release was meant to cover for a garbage OL.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Probably because he didn't have time for a second one.  The quick release was meant to cover for a garbage OL.

7 minutes ago, bfine said:

I never said we couldn't try to blame everything on them. Kirk Cousins has the longest time to throw in the NFL and still leads the league in batted balls; it's because he and Andy are similar QBs. They are rhythm passers that generally are not going to look anyone off. Andy's rhythm is just faster. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Franchise value and income are different.  I don’t think Mike Brown cares about franchise value as he has no intentions to sell.  

Here is where I got the revenue numbers.  You can probably see it once then a paywall pops up. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193553/revenue-of-national-football-league-teams-in-2010/

The Forbes list estimated annual operating profit as well as franchise value. Point is, even if the Stealers made only 10% more income than the Bengals they do so with the extra spending on personnel department, etc. They have simply had a better team over the years due to investment in better players. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/31/joe-burrow-you-want-to-go-to-team-thats-committed-to-winning-super-bowls/

Joe Burrow: You want to go to team that’s “committed to winning Super Bowls”

The plot thickens.

Yesterday, former Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said the Bengals aren’t serious about trying to win Super Bowls.

Today, word arrived that his brother Jordan Palmer would be handling the pre-draft training of presumptive top overall pick Joe Burrow.

Now, Burrow’s using some similar phrasing to the older Palmer brother to describe his goals for the coming months.

“You want to go No. 1,” Burrow said during an appearance on the Dan Patrick Show. “But you also want to go to a great organization that is committed to winning. Committed to winning Super Bowls.”

It would be reasonable for Bengals fans — and perhaps the Bengals themselves — to connect those dots and panic.

Of course, it’s possible that those three factors are unrelated, and that Burrow won’t be influenced by people who have beef with the franchise closest to his southern Ohio hometown.

Burrow’s father has already said his son would be fine being drafted by the Bengals, and Burrow himself indicated previously he wasn’t against the idea, saying: “Whoever wants to pay me money to play the game of football, I’ll play for ’em, it doesn’t matter to me.”

If the Bengals wanted to move that pick, they’d have no lack of suitors. The Dolphins are reportedly interested, and there would probably be a line of people curious to move into that slot if the Bengals want to move it.

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I think what the Bengals due in FA could go a long way to prove that are serious about winning. 

You mean waiting around for the market to settle then bringing in some average-at-best filler bodies from whoever is left over?

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

100%

Maybe, just maybe, the Bengals won't be considered a dead end by every FA on the market if they draft Burrow.  The Bengals are in a predicament.  No FA wants to come to the Bengals unless they are overpaid because it is such a lousy franchise, and you have an owner that doesn't want to overpay. 

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

Maybe, just maybe, the Bengals won't be considered a dead end by every FA on the market if they draft Burrow.  The Bengals are in a predicament.  No FA wants to come to the Bengals unless they are overpaid because it is such a lousy franchise, and you have an owner that doesn't want to overpay. 

Bobby Hart says, "Hello."

19 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I have never been that impressed with Tobin.  Sure he gets some hits in the draft but you can throw darts at the board and get some hits to.  I have not been that impressed with his total roster building.    I know Tobin gets a lot of credit for the playoff years but looking back I still think the Bengals started improving when Zimmer came in and started declining after he left.

This doesnt get mentioned often enough either.  They had some great assistant coaches during Marvin's time.  When they started to leave, as a whole, thats when it seems the decline started.  

10 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

This doesnt get mentioned often enough either.  They had some great assistant coaches during Marvin's time.  When they started to leave, as a whole, thats when it seems the decline started.  

If a team requires the coaches to carry a significant load for scouting prospects, you had better have good coaches who are also good at scouting.

Reports can spin it all they want.  Joe Burrow will be in the Orange and Black rocking No. 9 next year with 100 percent certainty.  No shit a potential no. 1 overall pick playing quarterback or any other position wants to play for an organization committed to winning Super Bowls.  How profound.  Burrow is a competitor for what we have all seen and heard to this point.  On top of all of that, he is going to get paid a shit ton of money to play the game of football at the highest level in the world.  Take away all of that, he is still what you would refer to as "wet behind the ears," so given that fact, he is not going to think anything other than he is the guy, NO MATTER WHAT, that can turn any franchise around.  I can tell you this, if he doesnt think that way, we as fans and the Bengals entire organization, do not want him.  Period.  

*What we should all be worried about is how he feels after his rookie contract is up.  

I think he bails on them when it’s all said and done. They’ll either have to trade his rights or be prepared for a very long hold out,IMO. I just think all of the Bengal bashing will ultimately win out and someone will talk him into not playing for such a loser franchise. Having both Palmers in his ear certainly isn’t going to help anything either. 

15 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I think he bails on them when it’s all said and done. They’ll either have to trade his rights or be prepared for a very long hold out,IMO. I just think all of the Bengal bashing will ultimately win out and someone will talk him into not playing for such a loser franchise. Having both Palmers in his ear certainly isn’t going to help anything either. 

It's really strange to me that he would choose Carson Palmer of all people as some kind of mentor considering he accomplished absolutely nothing in the NFL.   And Jordan? WTF? He was a career backup and even that's being generous.  The only reason he got that far is because nepotism is a core value for this franchise.  What's he going to learn from them other than how to blame everyone else for his professional and personal failures?

If this kid's stupid enough to buy into Carson's bullshit then trade his ass to the Dolphins, let him see what a model franchise they're running in Miami. 

35 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Um, no. Game that out for me so I can understand your logic. Because from where I sit...- let’s say despite burrow’s dad already saying they are annoyed with suggestions that Burrow pull an Eli that somehow Burrow says he refuses to play for the team two hours from where he lives. You think that mike brown of all people will be bullied into dealing that pick? Mike would take Burrow and call the bluff. IF burrow then actually sat out the year (costing himself millions of dollars ) he goes back into next years Draft now 25 years old, having not played in a year, and in a draft with Lawrence, Fields and some other really great QB prospects. No way he goes number one next year - maybe falls out of top five or even top 10 costing himself even more money. Add in the likelihood of a work stoppage with the CBA expiring after this year and a refusal to play for then bengals may mean no money not just this year but beyond that. Explain to me how that risk makes any sense for Burrow? Especially as competitive as he apparently is.

other than in the fever dreams of paul Dehner and Dan Patrick and Carson Palmer and Mike brown haters, please tell me how any of that makes any sense or that him trying to force a trade is remotely likely to happen .

Archived