* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

33 minutes ago, bfine said:

That Burrow won't sign here if we draft him

Then he sits.I don't believe a player can be traded after you draft him until he's signed now.I could be wrong though.So...if so,he doesn't sign and waits until next year... what happens if the Bengals have the first pick and select him again?  I don't think it's going to be an issue though,I think we draft him and he signs and all the media haters can then go fuck themselves.

6 hours ago, spicoli said:

Why? What exactly do the clueless pundits get wrong about this team?

~~> That the franchise is still historically terrible in the year 2020. Their regular season win-loss record since Carson Palmer was drafted #1 overall: 123-130-3

Is that good? Nah. Is that so horrible that it warrants the franchise being treated the way the Browns are treated? Hell no. It's a tick below .500. We all know they're also 0-7 in the postseason, and we can legitimately gripe about that. Before we can even arrive at that gripe though, we're forced to acknowledge the existence of seven playoff berths in that span. A whole bunch of NFL franchises cannot match that.

~~> That the Bengals are a quarterback black hole. Number of opening starters since 2004: two. That's good.

Five pro-bowls and a first-team PFF all-pro between Palmer and Dalton. This assertion is just plain horseshit and has no basis in anything. Akili was over 20 years ago, and Klingler was nearly 30 years ago. Even bringing them up right now is freaking ridiculous.

~~>That the Bengals don't do anything to support their quarterbacks. This millennium (may not even be comprehensive):

- Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Chris Henry**, AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Tyler Boyd, John Ross**

- Jermaine Gresham*, Tyler Eifert**, Drew Sample*

- Eric Steinbach, Andrew Whitworth, Andre Smith, Kevin Zeitler, Cedric Ogbuehi*, Jake Fisher*, Billy Price*, Jonah Williams**

- Rudi Johnson, Chris Perry*, Kenny Irons**, Giovani Bernard, Jeremy Hill*, Joe Mixon

All of these players were either successful or drafted in the first two rounds (many of them both). *Drafted high and sucked / **Drafted high and disappointed for reasons that cannot be sensibly blamed on the front office.

We can rightly criticize the franchise for all of those single asterisk names. Now show me how many other NFL franchises don't have a comparable record of misses within the same time frame. Moreover, show me how many of those misses were egregiously questionable picks given the general projections of those players in their respective drafts. There are a couple, but many of them were projected right around where the Bengals took them. Shit happens.

~~> That Mike Brown still has his dirty fingers in every personnel decision the franchise makes.

This has not been true for nearly a decade if not longer, but he's still the easy name to throw around when shitting on the "Bengals" as clueless pundits are wont to do.

~~> That the Bengals don't have a GM.

This is only technically true. Duke Tobin is close enough FFS. Is he good at what he does? Maybe, maybe not -- there's plenty of evidence of both. A crappy "director of player personnel" is not remotely equivalent to "Mike Brown makes every pick".

I'm sure I could rant more, but this will suffice.

8 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

~~> That the franchise is still historically terrible in the year 2020. Their regular season win-loss record since Carson Palmer was drafted #1 overall: 123-130-3

Is that good? Nah. Is that so horrible that it warrants the franchise being treated the way the Browns are treated? Hell no. It's a tick below .500. We all know they're also 0-7 in the postseason, and we can legitimately gripe about that. Before we can even arrive at that gripe though, we're forced to acknowledge the existence of seven playoff berths in that span. A whole bunch of NFL franchises cannot match that.

~~> That the Bengals are a quarterback black hole. Number of opening starters since 2003: two. That's good.

Five pro-bowls and a first-team PFF all-pro between Palmer and Dalton. This assertion is just plain horseshit and has no basis in anything. Akili was over 20 years ago, and Klingler was nearly 30 years ago. Even bringing them up right now is freaking ridiculous.

~~>That the Bengals don't do anything to support their quarterbacks. This millennium (may not even be comprehensive):

- Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Chris Henry**, AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Tyler Boyd, John Ross**

- Eric Steinbach, Andrew Whitworth, Andre Smith, Kevin Zeitler, Cedric Ogbuehi*, Jake Fisher*, Billy Price*, Jonah Williams**

- Rudi Johnson, Chris Perry*, Kenny Irons**, Giovani Bernard, Jeremy Hill*, Joe Mixon

All of these players were either successful or drafted in the first two rounds (many of them both). *Drafted high and sucked / **Drafted high and disappointed for reasons that cannot be sensibly blamed on the front office.

We can rightly criticize the franchise for all of those single asterisk names. Now show me how many other NFL franchises don't have a comparable record of misses within the same time frame. Moreover, show me how many of those misses were egregiously questionable picks given the general projections of those players in their respective drafts. There are a couple, but many of them were projected right around where the Bengals took them. Shit happens.

~~> That Mike Brown still has his dirty fingers in every personnel decision the franchise makes.

This has not been true for nearly a decade if not longer, but he's still the easy name to throw around when shitting on the "Bengals" as clueless pundits are wont to do.

This is only technically true. Duke Tobin is close enough FFS. Is he good at what he does? Maybe, maybe not -- there's plenty of evidence of both. A crappy "director of player personnel" is not remotely equivalent to "Mike Brown makes every pick".

Man, that's much more in depth than my list. I like it

7 hours ago, OU_Stripes said:

Not that I agree with all this but you gotta respect the effort :D

This part in particular I flatly don't believe:

There's this glaring disconnect IMHO between what the Bengals say they're doing and what they actually do, extending into just about every area of how they manage things.  If Old Musty really has stepped back then Pookie/Duke whoever are equally as clueless.  This is not at all encouraging. 

Also this bit deserves more scrutiny:

It's not that they mistakes, it's that they stubbornly refuse to admit they've made a mistake.  That's a massive & fundamental difference.  So they whiffed on Ogbuehi, that's shitty but hardly crippling in itself.  Refusing to admit what everyone else could plainly see - that Ogbuehi couldn't play at this level - is what doomed the last couple of seasons.  They then compounded that failure by trading for an injury-prone LT with a huge contract they couldn't afford to eat when he predictably kept getting injured.  In other words, not only do they refuse to admit mistakes, they will double-down with even worse moves trying to cover for the mistake.  It's a downward spiral that ends (hopefully) at 2-14 & a lost season.  They continually put themselves in a position where 100 different broken things need to magically fix themselves, then act befuddled and disappointed when they don't.

9 hours ago, OU_Stripes said:

'm sure I could rant more, but this will suffice

Mostly half truths. The one thing that matters more than everything else is that the Bengals absolutely do NOT put the same emphasis on winning that every other team in the NFL does, and that’s something that simply can’t be argued. The fact that they won’t spend on infrastructure like the rest of the NFL means that they are always going to be behind the rest of the league. If winning is a 400m race, the entire league has a 50m head start on us. Players understand this fact, especially one as smart as Joe Burrow. It’s why no one has any desire whatsoever to play here. And rightfully so. 

30 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Is Joe Burrow trying to avoid being drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals?

https://sports.yahoo.com/is-joe-burrow-trying-to-avoid-being-drafted-by-the-cincinnati-bengals-213050680.html

. That article is baiting trash. We have burrow’s dad saying they are literally offended as a family by suggestions he pull an Eli. He was literally asked directly by Dan Patrick the Eli question anyway, giving him an opportunity to say he did not want to be drafted by the bengals, and he did not remotely do that. So that author then posits that he is actually doing that which his dad says he won’t do and which he himself just declined to do.

Other than national media who are bored and want to make a story and self-loathing bengals fans who get off on being woe-is-us , there’s no story here.

15 minutes ago, spicoli said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/is-joe-burrow-trying-to-avoid-being-drafted-by-the-cincinnati-bengals-213050680.html

This is all just irresponsible journalism run amuck. The problem with the talking heads is that rather than trying to just let things happen, and report and offer commentary, they are contorting and conjuring a narrative that, frankly, is potentially harmful and unfair to an entire fan base. A fan base that, by any stretch, doesn’t deserve it. Maybe the Bengals deserve it, though I wouldn’t necessarily agree entirely, but it’s all of us, with rightfully high hopes, facing the potential benefit that comes from a season of true suffering, who stand to be negatively effected here.

18 minutes ago, spicoli said:

The problem with all the talking heads is that their constant gaslighting is going to eventually wear him down. The constant negativity will undoubtedly have its desired effect. 

I suppose if that’s the case, we might be better off with someone else.

I dunno, I remain optimistic that he’s not that easily swayed and has the ability to stay above the ridiculous fray that is sports “journalism.”

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Mostly half truths. The one thing that matters more than everything else is that the Bengals absolutely do NOT put the same emphasis on winning that every other team in the NFL does, and that’s something that simply can’t be argued. The fact that they won’t spend on infrastructure like the rest of the NFL means that they are always going to be behind the rest of the league. If winning is a 400m race, the entire league has a 50m head start on us. Players understand this fact, especially one as smart as Joe Burrow. It’s why no one has any desire whatsoever to play here. And rightfully so. 

Say that to all the players who have been drafted, good players too, and signed extensions. This is sort of like politics, you think you ( in a general sense, not you specifically) know something , but you actually only know what you hear, which is essentially fuck all. 

If we are talking about free agents, I can agree much more on that front, because there is much more evidence to support that claim. Seems to me, a side from Palmer, most who play for the Bengals in the past decade atleast, are very happy to be there. 

*Joe Burrow will be drafted. Joe Burrow will play for the Bengald. That's pretty much that. I suppose, for now though, its a cool story. 

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

The problem with all the talking heads is that their constant gaslighting is going to eventually wear him down. The constant negativity will undoubtedly have its desired effect. 

Do you even want him here if that's what you think of his mental fortitude?

24 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

Do you even want him here if that's what you think of his mental fortitude?

There’s a lot more at play than just his mental fortitude. His agent will hold plenty of sway when decisions are being discussed. As will public opinion unfortunately for us. 

14 hours ago, OU_Stripes said:

~~> That the Bengals are a quarterback black hole. Number of opening starters since 2004: two. That's good.

28 years since a playoff win.  Even the Browns have a playoff win in '94 before Modell shipped them off to Baltimore.

All the details don't mean shit.  The Bengals are one of the worst organizations in professional sports and the linchpin is Mike Brown and his family.  Until that changes the organization deserves all the crap it gets. 

56 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

28 years since a playoff win.  Even the Browns have a playoff win in '94 before Modell shipped them off to Baltimore.

All the details don't mean shit.  The Bengals are one of the worst organizations in professional sports and the linchpin is Mike Brown and his family.  Until that changes the organization deserves all the crap it gets. 

Yeah I think that mindset is extremely lazy.

19 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

Yeah I think that mindset is extremely lazy.

I think your mindset is delusional, so there you go. 

After 28 years I don't care to waste my time getting that in-depth to see if I think the Browns are running things well.  Show me results and then I'll consider investing that much effort.  I have better things to do.

7 hours ago, spicoli said:

When you see it's from yahoo sports, you should know that it's going to be shit. I read to the point where Palmer, or his wife, said that the bengals weren't committed to winning. I didn't read any more, but I'm guessing that they never pointed out that they went to the playoffs the next five seasons after he left.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

There’s a lot more at play than just his mental fortitude. His agent will hold plenty of sway when decisions are being discussed. As will public opinion unfortunately for us. 

Like what? 

What’s his agent gonna say to him, “yeah, don’t sign with Cincinnati, I’d rather not get paid”?

And, why do you assume public opinion will mean anything? Not to mention, I don’t know about you, but, I don’t hear sweeping public opinion, like, when talking with sports fans friends of mine, that Burrow should dig his heels on and do something players so infrequently do. 

What I see are some limp dick sports prognosticators, who, incidentally, are mainly absolute hacks, trying their damnedest to sew a false division and create a story where there shouldn’t be one.

Seriously, when’s the last time anyone gave a shit about anything Carson Palmer had to say? And, when’s the last time Carson made it a point to get on the public record about something? It seems like every time I see or hear anything from him it’s this ridiculous anti-Bengal crusade.

Within a week this non-story should go back to being exactly that.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

That's really fucking stupid. And indeed, lazy. To say that any team is not committed to winning. KC is finally going to it's first Super Bowl in 50 years. I guess they finally decided to commit to winning. Like the several other teams that haven't been to the Super Bowl in decades or ever. 

It's easy and lazy to pile on the organization. They were contenders for 5 years straight. How was not winning any of those games Mike Brown's fault. I'm guessing that here comes the bullshit where he wanted them to do well enough to get people in the seats, but didn't care if they did better than that. Yes, people have actually said that.

17 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I'm guessing that here comes the bullshit where he wanted them to do well enough to get people in the seats, but didn't care if they did better than that. Yes, people have actually said that.

I just had a buddy say the same shit to me last night. "The playoffs are good enough for ownership they dont want to win more than that." Yeah because winning in the playoffs wouldn't put more butts in seats. Okay....

2 hours ago, whodey365 said:

I just had a buddy say the same shit to me last night. "The playoffs are good enough for ownership they dont want to win more than that." Yeah because winning in the playoffs wouldn't put more butts in seats. Okay....

Oh I'm sure he'd love to win a playoff game. Problem is he puts no effort whatsoever into making sure they do whatever it takes to get over that hump.

He wants desperately to win, just so long as he does it his way and with as little money out of pocket as humanly possible. 

Archived