* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

20 hours ago, OU_Stripes said:

~~> That the franchise is still historically terrible in the year 2020. Their regular season win-loss record since Carson Palmer was drafted #1 overall: 123-130-3

Is that good? Nah. Is that so horrible that it warrants the franchise being treated the way the Browns are treated? Hell no. It's a tick below .500. We all know they're also 0-7 in the postseason, and we can legitimately gripe about that. Before we can even arrive at that gripe though, we're forced to acknowledge the existence of seven playoff berths in that span. A whole bunch of NFL franchises cannot match that.

~~> That the Bengals are a quarterback black hole. Number of opening starters since 2004: two. That's good.

Five pro-bowls and a first-team PFF all-pro between Palmer and Dalton. This assertion is just plain horseshit and has no basis in anything. Akili was over 20 years ago, and Klingler was nearly 30 years ago. Even bringing them up right now is freaking ridiculous.

~~>That the Bengals don't do anything to support their quarterbacks. This millennium (may not even be comprehensive):

- Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Chris Henry**, AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Tyler Boyd, John Ross**

- Jermaine Gresham*, Tyler Eifert**, Drew Sample*

- Eric Steinbach, Andrew Whitworth, Andre Smith, Kevin Zeitler, Cedric Ogbuehi*, Jake Fisher*, Billy Price*, Jonah Williams**

- Rudi Johnson, Chris Perry*, Kenny Irons**, Giovani Bernard, Jeremy Hill*, Joe Mixon

All of these players were either successful or drafted in the first two rounds (many of them both). *Drafted high and sucked / **Drafted high and disappointed for reasons that cannot be sensibly blamed on the front office.

We can rightly criticize the franchise for all of those single asterisk names. Now show me how many other NFL franchises don't have a comparable record of misses within the same time frame. Moreover, show me how many of those misses were egregiously questionable picks given the general projections of those players in their respective drafts. There are a couple, but many of them were projected right around where the Bengals took them. Shit happens.

~~> That Mike Brown still has his dirty fingers in every personnel decision the franchise makes.

This has not been true for nearly a decade if not longer, but he's still the easy name to throw around when shitting on the "Bengals" as clueless pundits are wont to do.

~~> That the Bengals don't have a GM.

This is only technically true. Duke Tobin is close enough FFS. Is he good at what he does? Maybe, maybe not -- there's plenty of evidence of both. A crappy "director of player personnel" is not remotely equivalent to "Mike Brown makes every pick".

I'm sure I could rant more, but this will suffice.

yep.. everything is great.. all we do is win.. nothing to see here 

I mean I get supporting the team and sticking up for them, because I do.....but you act like nothing is wrong 

I hope Joe is the answer 

46 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

I mean I get supporting the team and sticking up for them, because I do.....but you act like nothing is wrong 

I hope Joe is the answer 

I mean, I said myself that it's a flawed operation with plenty of room for improvement. I don't think anyone is refuting that. I complain about this franchise as much as anyone else.

What's bullshit though is this 20-years outdated mentality that the Bengals are incapable of doing anything right whatsoever.

1 hour ago, OU_Stripes said:

I mean, I said myself that it's a flawed operation with plenty of room for improvement. I don't think anyone is refuting that. I complain about this franchise as much as anyone else.

What's bullshit though is this 20-years outdated mentality that the Bengals are incapable of doing anything right whatsoever.

fair enough.....   I sure as hell hope they draft LSU jebus and we are on our way next year 

6 hours ago, Hooky said:

That's really fucking stupid. And indeed, lazy. To say that any team is not committed to winning. KC is finally going to it's first Super Bowl in 50 years. I guess they finally decided to commit to winning. Like the several other teams that haven't been to the Super Bowl in decades or ever. 

It's easy and lazy to pile on the organization. They were contenders for 5 years straight. How was not winning any of those games Mike Brown's fault. I'm guessing that here comes the bullshit where he wanted them to do well enough to get people in the seats, but didn't care if they did better than that. Yes, people have actually said that.

I don’t know for sure if Mike Brown really wants to win or not.  The bottoms line is he has failed in a huge way.  After 28 years it isn’t luck.  There are far too many stories from former players and others about Mike Brown and the franchise to ignore.  His comments during Hard Knocks were telling as well.  

Frankly, Brown has good reason to be very concerned about the bottom

line.  The Bengals are his family’s source of income.  Just about every other owner has many from an even larger business.  Not Brown.  

I get you you want to believe in your team.   You want to call me stupid and lazy for not digging deep and looking for reasons/excuses for why the Bengals continue to fall short of success.  It’s just not worth it. I still love the team because of the memories of my childhood.  I always will, but 28 years of reality should teach you something.  

12 hours ago, spicoli said:

and I always thought playoff success was pretty much the bottom line....apparently not. 

Playoff wins don't mean shit. Super bowl is the bottom line and two thirds of the teams haven't gone in decades. Do you think the chiefs fans have reveled in their handful of playoff wins over the last 50 years? 

12 hours ago, fluhartz said:

I hope Joe is the answer 

That's silly. He's not remotely saying that. Nobody is saying that. People are acting like it's been all shit over the last 30 years since there's been no playoff wins. OU was arguing that it hasn't and that the bengals don't care about winning is ridiculous. And he's right. If the number of playoff wins determine a team's commitment to winning, then half of the teams don't give a shit. 

19 hours ago, OU_Stripes said:

Do you even want him here if that's what you think of his mental fortitude?

True. I just hope that the bengals have a solid plan. People act like Burrow is the only option and if they don't get him for whatever reason, we're doomed. I don't know if he's the answer, I just hope the bengals have the answer. I'm annoyed that another option beside Burrow is not even discussed.

37 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Playoff wins don't mean shit. Super bowl is the bottom line and two thirds of the teams haven't gone in decades. Do you think the chiefs fans have reveled in their handful of playoff wins over the last 50 years? 

well considering you can't get to a SB without first winning a playoff game I'd say they're pretty f'ing important. 

41 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Playoff wins do mean something.  They show you are on the right path and getting closer to the goal of a Super Bowl.  Getting there and flaming out in Marvin Lewis style shows you really aren't getting there.

Since playoff wins are shit, how about wins in general?

In the history of the NFL the Bengals are number 28/31 in overall winning percentage at a percentage of .449.

If you break that down to the Paul Brown era and the Mike Brown era it looks like this.

Paul Brown (1968-1990)  171-168 for a winning percentage of .504

Mike Brown (1991-present)  188-273 for a winning percentage of .408

Pretty pathetic.  Only the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have a historical winning rate of less than .400.  Mike Brown has been an abysmal failure as an owner/GM.  To suggest otherwise is foolhardy.  For someone who has been rooting for the Bengals since around 1972 you feel it.  I really don't care about the details.  They have sucked.  I hope they get better and will root for that until I die, but Brown and his family get zero benefit of the doubt from me and don't deserve it from anyone else either. 

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

well considering you can't get to a SB without first winning a playoff game I'd say they're pretty f'ing important. 

This. Also, seasons when we are competing for the postseason makes things infinitely more interesting. Also, it is a measure of success. 

I was frustrated not winning a playoff game five consecutive seasons, but I’d gladly take those five years over our previous three. Also, if you’re making the playoffs you, seemingly, have a lot less improvements to make to get to the next level.

For the record, I agree that the narrative that we’re some floating island of utter football ineptitude is definitely from the 90’s...it’s amazing how badly some of these “writers” want to shoe horn that label onto us again.

Until this season the 49ers last playoff appearance was in 2013. 4, 6, 2, 5, are the number of wins they have had going back in consecutive seasons. That’s a decent stretch of ineptitude. Now, they’re back. 

Also, the Cleveland Browns were on the cover of SI prior to last season and a media darling to seize control of our division.

A pile of idiots. That’s what sports journalists are.

50 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

For the record, I agree that the narrative that we’re some floating island of utter football ineptitude is definitely from the 90’s...it’s amazing how badly some of these “writers” want to shoe horn that label onto us again.

It is bullshit, but I try to look at it from their perspective.  Once you run out of stats "sports journalism" is basically creative writing, and an 8-8 average team is boring.  People are much more entertained by a Bad News Bears story line.  

50 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Also, the Cleveland Browns were on the cover of SI prior to last season and a media darling to seize control of our division.

This is where it gets ridiculous; every offseason for the past.. IDK how many years..  is going to be Cleveland's year.  I'm not sure if the national media see Cleveland as more representative of Ohio than Cincinnati for some reason or what their damage is, but they continually try to promote the Browns over the Bengals.  Part of that is the shitting down our legs in big games, but you have to at least have big games to do that.  I know the NFL hates Ol' Musty but I can't imagine ESPN etc really care one way or the other.  What's Cleveland got that we don't besides some unholy lake effect weather and unidentifiable smells?

21 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

It is bullshit, but I try to look at it from the their perspective.  Once you run out of stats "sports journalism" is basically creative writing, and an 8-8 average team is boring.  People are much more entertained by a Bad News Bears story line.  

This is where it gets ridiculous; every offseason for the past.. IDK how many years..  is going to be Cleveland's year.  I'm not sure if the national media see Cleveland as more representative of Ohio than Cincinnati for some reason or what their damage is, but they continually try to promote the Browns over the Bengals.  Part of that is the shitting down our legs in big games, but you have to at least have big games to do that.  I know the NFL hates Ol' Musty but I can't imagine ESPN etc really care one way or the other.  What's Cleveland got that we don't besides some unholy lake effect weather and unidentifiable smells?

Baker Mayfield?

I imagine the addition of Joe Burrow will at least thrust us forward in terms of national attention...until we prove we can win. Or not.

22 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Baker Mayfield?

I imagine the addition of Joe Burrow will at least thrust us forward in terms of national attention...until we prove we can win. Or not.

Nah the media's been crowning them Offseason Champions since long before he got there.  

I don't think Burrow will help, at least not right away.  They're already shitting on us for maybe drafting him & the team is likely to continue losing even with him, at least in the short term, so I doubt they'll wait until even midseason before slamming us again for wasting all his talent.

Or he could..  and I know nobody wants to consider this..  but he could suck ass.  He's coming into a situation that would seriously test even the most veteran NFL QB.  Success for him is not at all guaranteed.  Of course no matter how bad he might play, it will still be the franchise's fault with the sports media.  

13 hours ago, OU_Stripes said:

They are incapable of doing enough things right to even win 1 playoff game and that is not an outdated mentality 

The Bengals were one or two mistakes short of a playoff win in January 2016. They blew it.

Does that reflect Jeremy Hill being a doofus? Does it reflect Vontaze Burfict and Adam Jones being idiots?

Or does it reflect the entire organization, top to bottom, being an inept clown show with no equal?

Remember: this arbitrary “playoff win” standard rests right there.

If you answer with the latter, I question your objectivity.

The Bengals won zero playoff games from 1968-1980.

Then they went to the Super Bowl.

They won zero playoff games again until 1988. When they went to the Super Bowl.

They won a playoff game in 1990 and did not get to the Super Bowl. Who cares? Nobody even remembers that Oilers game except for our fanbase, because in our infinite misery we ascribe unique meaning to it.

Playoff wins don’t really represent “progress”. They are preferable to playoff losses, no shit. I would love to see the Divisional round. Ultimately though, in the broader light of being a sports fan: who gives a crap about where the postseason ends if not in the Super Bowl? Everything else is forgotten, or otherwise remembered ruefully. I guess we could sit around and take pride in all those AFC Championship Games we’ve lost in Bizarro World. Who does that?

19 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

The Bengals were one or two mistakes short of a playoff win in January 2016. They blew it.

Does that reflect Jeremy Hill being a doofus? Does it reflect Vontaze Burfict and Adam Jones being idiots?

Or does it reflect the entire organization, top to bottom, being an inept clown show with no equal?

Remember: this arbitrary “playoff win” standard rests right there.

If you answer with the latter, I question your objectivity.

We got jobbed in 2016.

Jones’ penalty should have been offset by the Pittsburgh coach being on the field. The game winning field goal should have been out of reach. This is an objective take on what actually happened.

I’ll take that to the grave. 

9 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

We got jobbed in 2016.

Jones’ penalty should have been offset by the Pittsburgh coach being on the field. The game winning field goal should have been out of reach. This is an objective take on what actually happened.

I’ll take that to the grave. 

Shazier should've been ejected for targeting Gio & then taunting while he was out cold on the field.  Gotta say I'm relieved the NFL has sort of given up on painting Shazier as some kind of hero for not quite managing to permanently cripple himself while headhunting.

Oh & Porter shouldn't be in the NFL period, let alone on the field.   Scumbag straight up mugged Levi Jones on camera while Levi was on crutches & never served one day of a suspension for it.  Just like the Patriots, everything they have is tainted.  

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

Good reading comprehension. Focus on one of the three sentences and ignore the rest. Maybe the post was too long. My bad.

1 hour ago, OU_Stripes said:

The Bengals won zero playoff games from 1968-1980.

Then they went to the Super Bowl.

They won zero playoff games again until 1988. When they went to the Super Bowl.

They won a playoff game in 1990 and did not get to the Super Bowl. Who cares? Nobody even remembers that Oilers game except for our fanbase, because in our infinite misery we ascribe unique meaning to it.

Playoff wins don’t really represent “progress”. They are preferable to playoff losses, no shit. I would love to see the Divisional round. Ultimately though, in the broader light of being a sports fan: who gives a crap about where the postseason ends if not in the Super Bowl? Everything else is forgotten, or otherwise remembered ruefully. I guess we could sit around and take pride in all those AFC Championship Games we’ve lost in Bizarro World. Who does that?

Exactly.

Obviously the front office is extremely flawed and Burrow won’t becoming into the best situation if they aren’t active in free agency. This wasn’t the case with. Carson.  dude is a complete douche bag.  He had I one of the best olines in the NFL and had great skill players. It’s embarrassing with what he had around him that he is pulling this shit.  Then to top they made him the highest pain player in the nfl and signed his retard brother.   

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Shazier should've been ejected for targeting Gio & then taunting while he was out cold on the field.  Gotta say I'm relieved the NFL has sort of given up on painting Shazier as some kind of hero for not quite managing to permanently cripple himself while headhunting.

Oh & Porter shouldn't be in the NFL period, let alone on the field.   Scumbag straight up mugged Levi Jones on camera while Levi was on crutches & never served one day of a suspension for it.  Just like the Patriots, everything they have is tainted.  

john c reilly yes GIF

Archived