* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

Injuries can not be not be foreseen, unfortunately.  This team has had some real bad luck the entire past decade, even when they were going to the playoffs.  If i recall, when they played Indy, they didnt have a single healthy receiver (top 3) and i believe eifert was hurt as well.  Andy, in his best season to date, got hurt and missed that pivotal wild card game against the Stealers ( somehow still the closest they have come to winning in the offs).  They swung and missed hugely on Ced and Fisher.  They also drafted Price in the first round as well as Williams this past year.  Not sure what else they are suppose to do.  The obvious answer is that they have been off in their assessment of the offensive lineman coming out.  That much i can agree with.  Other than that, this team has skilled players.  I believe they made a very good pick in Pratt in the third round.  With Burrow, getting williams back, cordy getting his shit together and the addition of another solid lineman and linebacker, this could be a drastically different team.  That, of course, also takes into account that something gets done with AJ (either signed or traded for some much needed picks). 

There isn't much chance the Bengals trade the #1 pick. I'm Bengals GM in a mock offseason at Footballsfuture and I've been telling teams asking about a trade that we value Burrow at a higher amount than RG3 went for in 2012. Redskins paid Rams 3 firsts and a second to move from 6 to 2. I told the Dolphins it would take their 3 first rounders, both seconds, and their 3rd and even then I would have to think about it.  That was about 4500 points on the trade chart for a pick normally valued at 3000. But some years there are better prospects at the top than other years. 

6 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

Injuries can not be not be foreseen, unfortunately.  This team has had some real bad luck the entire past decade, even when they were going to the playoffs.  If i recall, when they played Indy, they didnt have a single healthy receiver (top 3) and i believe eifert was hurt as well.  Andy, in his best season to date, got hurt and missed that pivotal wild card game against the Stealers ( somehow still the closest they have come to winning in the offs).  They swung and missed hugely on Ced and Fisher.  They also drafted Price in the first round as well as Williams this past year.  Not sure what else they are suppose to do.  The obvious answer is that they have been off in their assessment of the offensive lineman coming out.  That much i can agree with.  Other than that, this team has skilled players.  I believe they made a very good pick in Pratt in the third round.  With Burrow, getting williams back, cordy getting his shit together and the addition of another solid lineman and linebacker, this could be a drastically different team.  That, of course, also takes into account that something gets done with AJ (either signed or traded for some much needed picks). 

Well that would be the standard Inbred plan year to year - injured players to come back and various others players expected to suddenly blossom. SSDD

We will know well before TC if this is the same old story or if by some Miracle this team actually wants to try and build a champion.

Until they actually do something, I assume it will be the same sad story. 

4 hours ago, membengal said:

The difference between Burrow and Dalton on this particular aspect of playing qb is going to be glaring:

What's going to be glaring is the difference in pass protection from LSU to here.   How's Burrow look when 2/5 of his offensive linemen get beat at the snap?

You think the media's bad now?  If this kid gets hurt behind the Phenomenal Bobby Hart & Friends we are never going to hear the end of it.

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

What's going to be glaring is the difference in pass protection from LSU to here.   How's Burrow look when 2/5 of his offensive linemen get beat at the snap?

You think the media's bad now?  If this kid gets hurt behind the Phenomenal Bobby Hart & Friends we are never going to hear the end of it.

2/5 of his lineman got beat on the snap in that clip above. The LSU line was NOT perfect this past season.

10 minutes ago, membengal said:

2/5 of his lineman got beat on the snap in that clip above. The LSU line was NOT perfect this past season.

Eh, they got worked for sure but they didn't fall over at the snap or totally whiff on their assignment & block air.  That would've been a good OL play by last year's standards.  

Think we need to accept the fact that he's going to be tested early & often.  

this-is-fine.0.jpg

Lol, the OL was not that bad. Especially when you consider all of the turnover that went on during the first half of the season. Once they got a set line-up in place and they all got used to playing together, they really started to take off. Hits on Dalton went down drastically and Mixon started running wild on teams. Let’s see what they can do with a healthy Williams and a full off-season together in the system. If they build on what they had going on at the end of the season, they should be more than solid. Plus, I’m sure there will still be pieces added before the start of TC. I’m actually anxious to see what they can do. 

You're referring to games that didn't matter after the team was out of contention. No inferences should be drawn from those games, the ones that mattered were when we still had a chance and we lost all of those, some in blowouts. 

Bengals had no offensive linemen rated by PFF in the top 25 at their position. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Just gonna leave this here in response:

I saw a lot of missed tackles by future CPAs there.    I'm not trying to say Burrow sucks or even that he doesn't have good pocket presence, because he does.

I think people are underestimating the difference between where he's coming from & the level of competition there vs the Cincinnati Bengals & how we stack up vs the NFL.  It happens after every draft when the BMOC is faced with a field packed with other BMOCs.  At best there's an adjustment.

But of course Burrow is going to drag this 2-14 team to 18-0 as a rookie by swagger alone, right?

The OL we have now is not capable of protecting him, period.

28 minutes ago, bfine said:

I'm always amazed by folks that think QB play cannot make an oline look better. They think only oline play can make a QB look worse.

Andy’s play (quick release) DID make the line look better.  Got them all the way up to “putrid” level.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

You're referring to games that didn't matter after the team was out of contention. No inferences should be drawn from those games, the ones that mattered were when we still had a chance and we lost all of those, some in blowouts

Yeah, in the first 8-10 games of the year when it was a revolving door everywhere but C and RT. Once they got their lineup set, they were fine the rest of the way. 

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I saw a lot of missed tackles by future CPAs there. 

That was against Alabama. Those weren’t future CFA’s he was going against, those were all guys that will get drafted within the first 4 rounds of the next two drafts. 

Me: here’s some video that shows Burrow has dealt with immediate pressure and still been damn good at positive plays - something the stats back up. Something that Andy dalton always struggled with.

T-Dub: lol!! 18-0 coming right up!

Me: what the actual fuck?

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I saw a lot of missed tackles by future CPAs there.    I'm not trying to say Burrow sucks or even that he doesn't have good pocket presence, because he does.

I think people are underestimating the difference between where he's coming from & the level of competition there vs the Cincinnati Bengals & how we stack up vs the NFL.  It happens after every draft when the BMOC is faced with a field packed with other BMOCs.  At best there's an adjustment.

But of course Burrow is going to drag this 2-14 team to 18-0 as a rookie by swagger alone, right?

The OL we have now is not capable of protecting him, period.

Bud, I have some serious doubts about Mike Brown and the Bengals, but you are going full Schleprock here.  If Burrow learns the offense and makes the right decisions his elusiveness will be a positive. 

45 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Bud, I have some serious doubts about Mike Brown and the Bengals, but you are going full Schleprock here.  If Burrow learns the offense and makes the right decisions his elusiveness will be a positive. 

No question, but he's still going to need better protection than what we saw last year.    A rookie that couldn't make it through 2 practices & Cordy Glenn as backup won't get it done.  I don't know how anyone could watch this team last season and not be concerned for whoever they put under center, I don't care if it's Dalton or Burrow or Spiderman.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

No question, but he's still going to need better protection than what we saw last year.    A rookie that couldn't make it through 2 practices & Cordy Glenn as backup won't get it done.

You are assuming Burrow starts game 1.  I think the state of the offensive line will help determine when he starts.  If there are several new players a line does need to gel.  As much crap as the line coach caught last season his line did improve as the season went forward. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

You are assuming Burrow starts game 1.  I think the state of the offensive line will help determine when he starts.  If there are several new players a line does need to gel.  As much crap as the line coach caught last season his line did improve as the season went forward. 

I think they looked marginally better once they remembered that Mixon was on the team but I don't think their pass protection improved much, if at all.  Balanced playcalling (and subpar opponents) just slowed the rush down a tick.  

Interesting point about him possibly not starting the season, though.  Who keeps his seat warm, Dalton?  I can't imagine him accepting a back-up role here when he could be starting for a number of other teams.  It'd be nice to bring in some halfway decent vet as a mentor but IDK if they'll want to spend much money on a guy they don't intend to start for more than a few weeks.  Of course I think a capable backup QB is a must, given the circumstances, but I don't see much urgency or focus from the team in that regard. 

The team hasn't said anything about a backup QB for next year. They seem to be working on finding Dalton a landing spot and getting a pick or player for him. Good luck with that. He's better than some other starting QBs but those teams are looking for more of an upgrade than Andy. Rivers is available. Brady might be. Brees won't be. Depending on tag situations, Winston or Tannehill might be on the market. Mariota and Bridgewater will be.  So there's no real incentive even for a team which wants Dalton to trade for him instead of waiting for the Bengals to cut him. 

Archived