* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

If we fix  the O-line and add a couple of veteran LBs, this could be at least an 8-8 team next year. Maybe even a playoff team if Burrow picks things up quickly and we have good luck with health. 

But I'm not confident the team will actually fix the O-line and sign a couple of good vet LBs.

I absolutely guarantee you that Dalton has more of a market than either one of Mariota or Teddy Bridgewater. The guy's won 70 games and has been to the playoffs five times in 9 years with Mike Brown as the team owner. I promise ya there are GM's out there that absolutely believe that they can win with Andy Dalton with the right pieces around him. Someone will definitely make a trade for him if he's available. They might only get a 3rd rounder at best for him, but, someone will for sure pull the trigger. 

27 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I absolutely guarantee you that Dalton has more of a market than either one of Mariota or Teddy Bridgewater. The guy's won 70 games and has been to the playoffs five times in 9 years with Mike Brown as the team owner. I promise ya there are GM's out there that absolutely believe that they can win with Andy Dalton with the right pieces around him. Someone will definitely make a trade for him if he's available. They might only get a 3rd rounder at best for him, but, someone will for sure pull the trigger. 

Mariota and Bridgewater simply don't generate enough offense to be part of the discussion.  If you add Cam Newton, Dak Prescott, Winston and Ryan Tannehill to the mix it gets interesting.  I won't consider Rivers or Brady part of the discussion other than Brady going to Dallas??

Here is a comparision of the guys above minus Bridgewater.  Teddy's 173 yards a game isn't viable.  

http://pfref.com/tiny/Z3r3J

I can honestly see Dallas not keeping Prescott.  He had the best O-line and excellent skill players for most of his career so far but he just doesn't beat good teams.  Newton's days are done in Carolina, I don't know if a team wants to drama.  Winston has exceptional talent except he just can't stop throwing picks.  I think Tannehill is the best all of them to be honest.  He played on some terrible Miami teams and got hurt a lot though so I dunno.    Dalton would probably do very well at Dallas, Indy or the Bolts.   Could he win a playoff game?  The quitter managed to win one after he left. 

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

That's part of what concerns me; it seems like benching Dalton successfully convinced everyone that 1. he's a terrible QB and 2. the root of all our problems.  If the team is working from that premise, or at least entertaining it for the sake of renewing fan interest, we are in bad shape. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

And I guarantee you cannot guarantee that and expect anyone to take it seriously (well except for that one dude on here). 

Andy has won 70 games in 133 starts. That's roughly a 1 for 1. He has a career passer rating of 87.5, and offers 3.1 YPC with his legs in his career. He will be 33 years old next year and is coming off a year in which he was the worst rated starting QB in the NFL. He was benched and only brought back because Doogy Taylor panicked and wanted to win a game rather that develop for the future.  

Marcus Mariota in 61 starts has 29 wins. That's roughly 1 for 1. He has a career passer rating over 2 points higher than Andy's, and offers 5.8 YPC with his career in his career. He's 6 years younger than Andy and got benched for a QB that caught fire. Mariota got benched in a year where he had a passer rating of over 92. In 9 years Andy has only topped that once.

Teddy Bridgewater has 22 wins in 34 starts, That's about 2 wins for every loss. He has a career passer about 1 point higher than Andy's, and offers 3.3 YPC with his legs. He's 6 years younger than Andy and coming off a season where he went undefeated and had a passer rating of over 99. 

But somehow, someway you can guarantee that there will be a bigger market of folks that want to give up a draft choice for Andy and take on his $17 MIL contract than there are folks that want to take on QBs with more upside and not give up jack. 

9 hours ago, bfine said:

And I guarantee you cannot guarantee that and expect anyone to take it seriously (well except for that one dude on here). 

Andy has won 70 games in 133 starts. That's roughly a 1 for 1. He has a career passer rating of 87.5, and offers 3.1 YPC with his legs in his career. He will be 33 years old next year and is coming off a year in which he was the worst rated starting QB in the NFL. He was benched and only brought back because Doogy Taylor panicked and wanted to win a game rather that develop for the future.  

Marcus Mariota in 61 starts has 29 wins. That's roughly 1 for 1. He has a career passer rating over 2 points higher than Andy's, and offers 5.8 YPC with his career in his career. He's 6 years younger than Andy and got benched for a QB that caught fire. Mariota got benched in a year where he had a passer rating of over 92. In 9 years Andy has only topped that once.

Teddy Bridgewater has 22 wins in 34 starts, That's about 2 wins for every loss. He has a career passer about 1 point higher than Andy's, and offers 3.3 YPC with his legs. He's 6 years younger than Andy and coming off a season where he went undefeated and had a passer rating of over 99. 

But somehow, someway you can guarantee that there will be a bigger market of folks that want to give up a draft choice for Andy and take on his $17 MIL contract than there are folks that want to take on QBs with more upside and not give up jack. 

Mariota averaged 172  yards passing per game last year and was 2-4. Tannehill took over and increased that by over 50 yards per game which is still low and rallied the team to an AFC Championship appearance. 

Bridgewater averaged 153 yards per game on one of the best offenses in the league, Brees beat that by over 120 yards per game.

Neither is a viable QB unless you have a great defense and Derrick Henry on your team but even that didn’t help Mariota. 

Bridgewater and Mariota will be seen as back-up options only. Dalton has proven that he can win 10+ games a year and get his team to the playoffs when surrounded by solid pieces. There will be GM's banking on being able to put him in a position to succeed. We'll see how it all plays out. 

So if the consensus is that Dalton can win big if he has the right pieces around him, we're getting rid of him because..  why?  Wouldn't the natural conclusion be that we don't have those pieces and don't plan on getting them?  While Burrow on the other hand can drag a mediocre team to the Super Bowl.

🤔

Maybe we'd best leave this as a rhetorical question.   

Well they did start losing again when they started taking all of the pieces away from him....Sanu, Jones, Whitworth, Zeitler....that’s where it all started. Last time he played with those four he had the team in position to be a number one seed in the playoffs and a shot at finishing top 2 or 3 for league MVP. Since then it’s been nothing but injuries and misery. And, alas, at this point it’s simply time to turn the page on Dalton and start fresh.  

and again, who here has said anything even close to resembling “Joe Burrow will take this team to a SB right off the bat”? I’ve not seen anything like that on here. 

20 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

You are assuming Burrow starts game 1.  I think the state of the offensive line will help determine when he starts.  If there are several new players a line does need to gel.  As much crap as the line coach caught last season his line did improve as the season went forward. 

Definitely was a solid improvement over the second half of the year.   

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

Mariota averaged 172  yards passing per game last year and was 2-4. Tannehill took over and increased that by over 50 yards per game which is still low and rallied the team to an AFC Championship appearance. 

Bridgewater averaged 153 yards per game on one of the best offenses in the league, Brees beat that by over 120 yards per game.

Neither is a viable QB unless you have a great defense and Derrick Henry on your team but even that didn’t help Mariota. 

I can only assume you absolutely love Jameis Winston. How efficient they are takes a back seat to the number of yards they throw for; regardless how inefficiently they did it.

bold GIF

How did SF ever make the Super Bowl?

18 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The team hasn't said anything about a backup QB for next year. They seem to be working on finding Dalton a landing spot and getting a pick or player for him. Good luck with that. He's better than some other starting QBs but those teams are looking for more of an upgrade than Andy. Rivers is available. Brady might be. Brees won't be. Depending on tag situations, Winston or Tannehill might be on the market. Mariota and Bridgewater will be.  So there's no real incentive even for a team which wants Dalton to trade for him instead of waiting for the Bengals to cut him. 

Dalton most likely will end up on this team to play out the remainder of his contract.  And, quite fucking frankly, if they decide to keep him for his final year, its really not up to him to say whether or not he wants to start 3-4 games to keep the seat warm for Burrow or just plain be a backup from day 1.  Not his decision.  So, "i dont see him accepting a backup job" is not his decision to accept.  In reality, he should be traded for something of value if its there.  That may or may not be the case.  If its not, i assure you, he will do whatever he is assigned to do.  That simple.    

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

Bridgewater and Mariota will be seen as back-up options only. Dalton has proven that he can win 10+ games a year and get his team to the playoffs when surrounded by solid pieces. There will be GM's banking on being able to put him in a position to succeed. We'll see how it all plays out. 

And I'm sure we all hope it works out best for the Bengals. Hell I hope you and others are right and there are teams out their all excited about the prospect of making Andy Dalton their starting QB. I'm just not sure the market is there

28 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Well they did start losing again when they started taking all of the pieces away from him....Sanu, Jones, Whitworth, Zeitler....that’s where it all started. Last time he played with those four he had the team in position to be a number one seed in the playoffs and a shot at finishing top 2 or 3 for league MVP. Since then it’s been nothing but injuries and misery. Plus, at this point, it’s simply time to turn the page on Dalton and start fresh.  

and again, who here has said anything even close to resembling “Joe Burrow will take this team to a SB right off the bat”? I’ve not seen anything like that on here. 

No, it's wrapped in statements like "the offensive line isn't that bad" because we know the team is unlikely to make changes there.  But they are bad.  Historically bad. 

Sure maybe they shock us all in free agency but right now it seems like business as usual, and that ends with Burrow basically being fed to a wood chipper & more excuses about injuries. "This guy's been injured 17 years in a row and now he's hurt again. Just no way to predict that, oh well let's give him another extension."

36 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Dalton most likely will end up on this team to play out the remainder of his contract.  And, quite fucking frankly, if they decide to keep him for his final year, its really not up to him to say whether or not he wants to start 3-4 games to keep the seat warm for Burrow or just plain be a backup from day 1.  Not his decision.  So, "i dont see him accepting a backup job" is not his decision to accept.  In reality, he should be traded for something of value if its there.  That may or may not be the case.  If its not, i assure you, he will do whatever he is assigned to do.  That simple.    

No, if the team can't trade Dalton, they should release him. It makes no sense to pay a backup QB 17 mil. We could get a pro bowl O-lineman for less than that. 

17 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

No, it's wrapped in statements like "the offensive line isn't that bad" because we know the team is unlikely to make changes there.  But they are bad.  Historically bad. 

Sure maybe they shock us all in free agency but right now it seems like business as usual, and that ends with Burrow basically being fed to a wood chipper & more excuses about injuries. "This guy's been injured 17 years in a row and now he's hurt again. Just no way to predict that, oh well let's give him another extension."

Yes, after the Preston Brown and Bobby hart extensions, the Trey Hopkins deal seems of a kind. Some people around here think Hopkins had a good season. PFF certainly doesn't, they count all the games and rated him the 26th best center in the league.

35 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, after the Preston Brown and Bobby hart extensions, the Trey Hopkins deal seems of a kind. Some people around here think Hopkins had a good season. PFF certainly doesn't, they count all the games and rated him the 26th best center in the league.

He wasn't a total liability, which maybe made him look good by comparison but I don't put much stock in PFF stats. Center is the only spot on the line I'm not worried about right now.

54 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Some people around here think Hopkins had a good season. PFF certainly doesn't, they count all the games and rated him the 26th best center in the league

He also had a revolving door on both sides of him for much of the season. Hard to focus on your own assignments when you’re trying to cover for two other spots at the same time. 

What a bunch of made up ass hattery....Jesus, they just dont stop do they?  I usually could give two shits about what the media says and thinks, but this is nauseating.  

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1851821/cincinnati-is-listening-to-offers-for-the-1-pick-as-rumors-swirl-that-joe-burrow-doesnt-want-to-be-a-bengal

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-burrow-20200210-47ptzraeyndn3kz46whrsfwf6u-story.html

8 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

What a bunch of made up ass hattery....Jesus, they just dont stop do they?  I usually could give two shits about what the media says and thinks, but this is nauseating.  

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1851821/cincinnati-is-listening-to-offers-for-the-1-pick-as-rumors-swirl-that-joe-burrow-doesnt-want-to-be-a-bengal

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-burrow-20200210-47ptzraeyndn3kz46whrsfwf6u-story.html

It's pretty clear that nobody wants Joe Burrow coming to the Bengals except for the Bengals and, hopefully, Joe Burrow.  You'd think the team needs to be kicked out of the league entirely the way they're carrying on about it.  We made Carson Palmer sad!  Inexcusable!

8 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

It's pretty clear that nobody wants Joe Burrow coming to the Bengals except for the Bengals and, hopefully, Joe Burrow.  You'd think the team needs to be kicked out of the league entirely the way they're carrying on about it.  We made Carson Palmer sad!  Inexcusable!

Yeah, its unreal at this point.  Im in a group thread with my buddies, none of which are Bengals fans, so they enjoy busting my balls every chance they get.  Yesterday, they sent me that link.  I told them Joe Burrow has never said anything in regards to not wanting to get drafted by Cincinnati.  Its as made up as it gets.  Even Dan Patrick, who i consider to be much more reputable than most, tried baiting him.  It must feel good to hold a job and just say things whatever it is you want at your will.    

Archived