* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

LOL, that would cause too much chaos and Mike don't like chaos.   Trading down with Miami keeps getting floated but imagine our surprise when the Panthers or Chargers trade with the Giants and pick Tua one spot ahead of us.  This board would implode.  

You have to admit...it would be kinda fun to watch 😆

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

It would end a lot of fans, so I guess that would be fun...

In any event, sorry to interrupt all this with Burrow stuff, but I can't get enough of these highlights:

Gosh, you dont need to apologize to me. I love watching these highlights and imagining Burrow in stripes throwing these dimes against shittsburgh and baltiwhore and the brownstains

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

LOL, that would cause too much chaos and Mike don't like chaos.   Trading down with Miami keeps getting floated but imagine our surprise when the Panthers or Chargers trade with the Giants and pick Tua one spot ahead of us.  This board would implode.  

ht07nr2rtkg41.jpg

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

And Hobson would reveal we wanted Herbert all along because of his strong arm.

20 hours ago, SF2 said:

LOL, it isn’t the 70s.  These guys are wired into people all over the county with social media. Ohio State didn’t want him so HE LEFT for Louisiana.  LeBron left for Miami and LA.  He grew up in Ohio and his opinion of the Bengals is probably the same as my 24 year old daughter and 21 year old son.  The don’t care about the Bengals.  

He doesn’t care about turning this franchise around, he wants to win, have fun and be in the limelight.  Cincinnati is a bad place for all 3. 

Valid points.  I agree with you alot.  Have to agree to disagree on this one sir.  

19 hours ago, SF2 said:

No, I never said that. I said OSU didn’t want him so he left.   He went to LSU which is a top 10 college program.  

If he wanted to turn a program around he would have gone to Rutgers or Vanderbilt.   I never said  he wanted to party, I said he wanted to have fun. 

This is a stretch.  Wow.  Like i said ill agree to disagree.  

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yes, as a pro he probably wants to go to a good program just like everyone else who is about to enter the draft, win there, and have fun doing it.  That’s my opinion.  

You opinion is St Joseph of Athens wants to go to a 2-14 franchise EVERYONE he meets tells him he should avoid and turn it into a winner.  BTW, he has to do this with the same front office that hasn't accomplished anything in 30 years other than a few wild card game losses.   Same franchise that brought in another #1 Heisman trophy winner and managed 2 wild card losses.   He isn't going to LSU, he is going to the Bengals. 

Which scenario sounds more realistic?

That said it isn’t Burrows’ choice and the Bengals should draft him. 

1). So Miami and Detroit are better choices to accomplish a playoff win?  

2.) Thats the beauty of college, if you dont like the situation you have the option of going somewhere else.  College football and how it operates is a completely different animal.  In college, he (i would assume) had aspirations of something higher (NFL), so the logical thing to do would be to transfer somewhere he thought he could put his talents on display.  LSU is not a known offensive juggernaut, until Joe got there, which tells he has extreme confidence in himself and shown has the ability to be a difference maker.  And yes, i know i said college is different, but so far, thats all we got on Joe and all we can evaluate him on....his college play.  You are very correct. it isnt his choice.  He will get drafted and he will play football, in all likelihood, for the Cincinnati Bengals.  I totally agree that this franchise has had its fucking woes throughout our lives as fans, but comparing Palmer's era to this one is hard to to.  Different players and a different NFL.  Different coaching staff now.  Burrow seems to be much more mentally tough (that could break down in Cincy, i know) than Palmer at this point.  The kid has already gone through a shit ton of adversity and come through it better than anyone with the statistics that up.  Without that, he just flat out passes the eye ball test by any standard you could have.  Call me crazy, im not even sure i want a guy who isnt up to the challenge of turning a 30+ year, all things considered, failure as a franchise.  Like i said, no hard feelings, you are usually my go to on here, we are just polar opposites on this one.    

41 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

This is a stretch.  Wow.  Like i said ill agree to disagree.  

1). So Miami and Detroit are better choices to accomplish a playoff win?  

2.) Thats the beauty of college, if you dont like the situation you have the option of going somewhere else.  College football and how it operates is a completely different animal.  In college, he (i would assume) had aspirations of something higher (NFL), so the logical thing to do would be to transfer somewhere he thought he could put his talents on display.  LSU is not a known offensive juggernaut, until Joe got there, which tells he has extreme confidence in himself and shown has the ability to be a difference maker.  And yes, i know i said college is different, but so far, thats all we got on Joe and all we can evaluate him on....his college play.  You are very correct. it isnt his choice.  He will get drafted and he will play football, in all likelihood, for the Cincinnati Bengals.  I totally agree that this franchise has had its fucking woes throughout our lives as fans, but comparing Palmer's era to this one is hard to to.  Different players and a different NFL.  Different coaching staff now.  Burrow seems to be much more mentally tough (that could break down in Cincy, i know) than Palmer at this point.  The kid has already gone through a shit ton of adversity and come through it better than anyone with the statistics that up.  Without that, he just flat out passes the eye ball test by any standard you could have.  Call me crazy, im not even sure i want a guy who isnt up to the challenge of turning a 30+ year, all things considered, failure as a franchise.  Like i said, no hard feelings, you are usually my go to on here, we are just polar opposites on this one.    

I don’t doubt Burrow’s toughness anymore than Tua’s.  Both are said to be great leaders.  I have never said Burrow is a bad QB, my guess is he will play very well here and is the best QB in the draft. Picking him is obviously the right thing to do.  Don’t misunderstand my opinion that Burrow would rather play somewhere else to mean he won’t give it 100% here or play well, I don’t believe that.   

Yes we have a different coaching staff now but that doesn’t mean it is better. Marvin had very good staffs (Zimmer & Gruden) and not so good staffs over the years. They do change quite often even if the HC stays the same.  Hard to say about this one. 

I think Miami is in a much better position to get better in a hurry. Stockpiled a lot of picks and has a mountain of cap space.   They won 5 games last year after gutting the team of undesirables.  Detroit is a black hole. 

Understand I am a big LSU fan, the offense didn’t get way better when Burrow arrived, it got better when Miles left, Big Ed took over and he stole Joe Brady from New Orleans.  LSU always has had the athletes but ran a high school level offensive scheme under Miles and had bad QBs. Burrow was a perfect fit there.  Smart,  hard working, coachable and experienced. 

On 2/12/2020 at 7:44 PM, SF2 said:

No, I never said that. I said OSU didn’t want him so he left.   He went to LSU which is a top 10 college program.  

If he wanted to turn a program around he would have gone to Rutgers or Vanderbilt.   I never said  he wanted to party, I said he wanted to have fun. 

1. It is wrong to say OSU didn't want him.  They would have loved to keep him, but he wanted to be a starter.

2. He nearly went to Cincinnati.  UC and LSU were the 2 finalists.  I think he made the right choice for his future.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

1. It is wrong to say OSU didn't want him.  They would have loved to keep him, but he wanted to be a starter.

2. He nearly went to Cincinnati.  UC and LSU were the 2 finalists.  I think he made the right choice for his future.

Correct, OSU didn’t want him to start, they wanted a 5 star backup which was asking a lot.  Burrow probably should have never gone to OSU while Urban was the coach anyways. 

Yeah, I agree the LSU choice worked out ok for him. 

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Correct, OSU didn’t want him to start, they wanted a 5 star backup which was asking a lot.  Burrow probably should have never gone to OSU while Urban was the coach anyways. 

Yeah, I agree the LSU choice worked out ok for him. 

He's actually a better fit for Urban Meyer's offense than Haskins was.  And he was ahead of Haskins before he broke his hand.

44 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Also, Burrow wasn’t a 5-star recruit. Neither was Haskins.

As Jason said, Burrow likely would have won that job had he not broken his hand. 

Ok, 4 star.  And that isn't what really happened.  Burrow broke his hand the previous year in August which made Haskins the backup.  When Barrett went down against Michigan, Haskins step in and saved the day.  Keep in mind, Burrow was already healed at this point and had played mop up duties in a few games. 

When spring ball started in 2018, Burrow was completely healthy but ended up losing out to Haskins.  Once he was informed of this, he began his search for a new school.   His broken hand had nothing to do with losing out to Haskins in the Spring of 2018.   It worked out great for Joe, he didn't have to live through the drama of the Zach Smith wife beating ordeal,  Urban acting like he was having a stroke on the sideline every game, and the whole "is this his last year"  soap opera.   

12 hours ago, Jason said:

Heh.. Ya think?  Highly unlikely he's a consensus 1st overall pick & Heisman winner playing in the AAC.. or whatever conference UC is in this week.

31 minutes ago, SF2 said:

His broken hand had nothing to do with losing out to Haskins in the Spring of 2018

Except for the fact that had he not been hurt it likely would have been him coming in to save the day against Meatchicken, not Haskins. Then it would have been Burrow with the leg up the following spring and it’s Haskins looking to transfer. 

Anyways, it all worked out. If Burrow ends up the starter in Columbus, Justin Fields ends up somewhere else...and, IMO, Fields is better than all of them. As a 40 year Buckeye fan, I’m very happy with how it turned out. 

14 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Except for the fact that had he not been hurt it likely would have been him coming in to save the day against Meatchicken, not Haskins. Then it would have been Burrow with the leg up the following spring and it’s Haskins looking to transfer. 

Anyways, it all worked out. If Burrow ends up the starter in Columbus, Justin Fields ends up somewhere else...and, IMO, Fields is better than all of them. As a 40 year Buckeye fan, I’m very happy with how it turned out. 

You think Fields is better than Burrow?

2 hours ago, HOF dan said:

You think Fields is better than Burrow?

I think he ends up better than Burrow when it’s all said and done. He was much more advanced as a first year starter than Burrow was and at a younger age. He definitely has that same kind of feel in the pocket that Burrow has, which you don’t see often. 

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

And he would have only had 1 year of eligibility left at OSU with Meyer as the coach.  Say what you want but the offense under Ryan Day was way more dynamic and far less predictable than under Meyer.  

5 hours ago, membengal said:

Just gonna leave this here with regard to the Burrow-had-pristine-line-play-in-front-of-him-at-LSU take:

Not saying this to defend the Bengal's O-Line which we all know needs to improve. Having said that, I think this shows that a great QB can help make up for the deficiencies of an O-Line and I think Burrow could not only survive, but thrive with even a modestly improved O-Line instead of a totally revamped one.

Archived