* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

3 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

Two problems there:

1.  Burrow drama aside, many of the criticisms they're basing this stuff on are accurate

2. The fans can't really show the team in any light, good bad or indifferent.  It's on the team themselves to do that.

Hobs has confirmation (and quotes) from Ross that Ross is at the Palmer QB  camp and has participated in a session with Burrow:

https://www.bengals.com/news/big-willie-has-his-say-john-ross-burrows-into-workouts

Ross has had one throwing session with Burrow, the LSU quarterback who led the Tigers to the national title during a Heisman Trophy season, has heard the buzz about the Bengals taking him.

"That definitely will be," said Ross of how intriguing that pick could be. "He looked like a national champion … I think everybody knows how talented he is. He knows how talented he is. I like the way he carried himself. He looked just as good as he did all season."

45 minutes ago, membengal said:

On an up note, he’s working , so snark aside - that’s a good thing. And with Burrow, so that’s an even better thing, no?

Ive continued to believe that with an accurate passer Ross will be that threat to keep saties honest and be that touchdown waiting to happen...

43 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Ive continued to believe that with an accurate passer Ross will be that threat to keep saties honest and be that touchdown waiting to happen...

Not unless he learns to beat press coverage & the bigger/more physical DB's that have been roughing him up.

Honestly though haven't we wasted enough time & money on this guy? There are good receivers on this team who deserve the ball 100x more than Ross.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Where was this taken?

Anyway, a lot of people are going to be screwed if they Bengals draft him and do not assign him, as the Beatles said,

"Number 9 Number 9 Number 9".

Two days ago. And anyone with a Burrow "9" if he ends up a Burrow "10" has cool proof that they were in on him early...

I referenced Daniel Jeremiah's pod where he talked about burrow a few weeks back as a must listen, but for those that couldn't hear it, Peter King got Jeremiah to talk about some of what he covered on that pod in his column - putting it here for those who missed it the first time on what happened between 2018 and 2019 for Burrow:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/24/nfl-combine-preview-pass-interference-replay-fmia-peter-king/?cid=nbcsports

Jeremiah: “He was training an hour from my house with [QB coach] Jordan Palmer. He was out there with Sam Darnold and Josh Allen and Kyle Allen. I went up there and watched him work out, throw. I had a chance to visit with him for 20 minutes. I said, ‘Joe, you’re gonna get asked this question at the combine: Why the unbelievable leap from last year to this year?’

“He said, first of all, he’s a grad transfer. Most grad transfers transfer in the spring. He said, ‘I got to LSU after the freshmen had already reported for full camp.’ So you talk about trying to learn everything in a heartbeat and try to get to know your teammates, and then plug in and be ready to play. That’s the first part of it. Second part, he hadn’t played much football in the previous three years. There was some rust. Okay, this makes sense. And then schematically, and this is the big one, they were in a lot of seven-man protection in that offense last year. Burrow, his greatest gift, and you can see it this year when you watch him, is he has the vision to be able to take a snapshot of the entire field, to see everything, to process, and to throw accurately. Well, when you’re in seven-man protection and you limit the number of guys that can get out on a route, you’re limiting the answers you can give somebody. He was handicapped by them trying to mass-protect him. There’s no room for him to use his athletic ability to take off and go if you want. There’s no room for him to slide around, more around, find windows. It was just a congested brand of football.

“And then, you look at this year. He gets [passing-game coordinator] Joe Brady in there. He becomes a master of the offense. At the beginning of the season, they were in a bunch of six-man protection, which he’s playing really well. And he said eventually Joe Brady said in week three or four, ‘Let’s just go five-man protection. Let’s get everybody out into the route.’ When they did that, [he] completed about 80 percent from that point on.

“His super-power is his ability to see the entire field, to work through progressions, and then throw the ball accurately. So they kind of unlocked that super-power this last year. And the rest is history.”

I told Jeremiah: “You’ve got to tell America that on TV this week.”

“I’ve only got 28 hours!” he said.

Archived