* ROUND 1, BENGALS SELECT JOE BURROW, QB */Burrow Era

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Other than losing a season of making well over $10M?  I would say that is a huge disadvantage.  Players only have so many years to make that money.

Last year Murray's signing bonus was over $23M.  He will get paid whether he plays or not.

Nobody is getting paid anything if the season is cancelled. The owners won't sign anyone until they know the season will happen.  The players can't even show up at facilities so it doesn't matter if they get signed early or not.

20 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Nobody is getting paid anything if the season is cancelled. The owners won't sign anyone until they know the season will happen.  The players can't even show up at facilities so it doesn't matter if they get signed early or not.

The chances of the season being cancelled are poor.  They will play in empty stadiums if they have to.  TV money is enough.   If people aren't back to work by September, the world will be in a world of economic hurt.  Worse than risking a virus.

The WWE is doing it now.  Gulfstream Park and Oaklawn Park are doing it now.  Sure, fewer people, but we're talking months from now.  The NFL will play.

17 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Another thought or drafting JB..

On the draftside...hes considered atrue fanchise QB...we all know that....but..

What if they traded for Miami's first three picks and a 1st or second in 2021..

They could improve areas yes but NO JOE!

Have you looked at the 2021 QBs?...

Lawrence is the gem...Fields is going to be next..

After that is a crock of....beans . shall we say..

Gambling slot in drafting Fields..with what? Oh our first pick and our Miami pick 

Im getting Joe while I can and build around him...

To be fair around this time last year folks were saying the 2020 class is Tua and Herbert, After that is a crock of....beans. 

As to the "not wanting to come here BS"

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-bengals-maxed-meeting-time-110122999.html

Signs have pointed toward the Bengals taking former LSU quarterback Joe Burrow with that selection for some time and it continues to shape up that way. NFL teams are permitted three one-hour calls with prospects each week and Albert Breer of SI.com reports that the Bengals have used all of their allotted time with Burrow.

Those calls are about building a relationship with a player they’d be making a big investment in on April 23 and they could also help Burrow hit the ground running once the Bengals are able to actually begin on-field work.

44 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

The chances of the season being cancelled are poor.  They will play in empty stadiums if they have to.  TV money is enough.   If people aren't back to work by September, the world will be in a world of economic hurt.  Worse than risking a virus.

The WWE is doing it now.  Gulfstream Park and Oaklawn Park are doing it now.  Sure, fewer people, but we're talking months from now.  The NFL will play.

So hope you're right.

Wonder what the plan would be with season ticket holders who have already at least made a downpayment?

Refund or roll to next year, probably...hopefully.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

So hope you're right.

Wonder what the plan would be with season ticket holders who have already at least made a downpayment?

Refund or roll to next year, probably...hopefully.

My memory banks go back to the last times there were stoppages:1982 and 1987 (using these as only a loose barometer, since there has never been a total season stoppage in the recent NFL): 

‘82 Strike shortened to 9 games. Since my season tickets were already purchased, there were questions about refunding missed games. The Bengals by-passed this by doing the “apply to next year” option. But, since the league went to a weird 16-team playoff format, the Bengals were sure to get at least two home games. I opted to buy those, and use the rest of the missed games for 1983. But, thanks to Freeman McNeil/Jets, I got only One playoff game, so the second was only allowable on a “next year”.  It was a mess.

’87 was “cleaner”, if a word is needed (still an NFL thievery). The Strike-affected 3 games were those “Replacement Games”...so no games were technically “missed”. Again, season tickets were already purchased. No refunds or applications to “next year” were offered...you either went to the faux NFL games or you didn’t. I went...even insisted on sitting in my regular seats in Section 326. 

I suppose you will get a refund, or “next year” if 2020 doesn’t go. 

6 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Comparing the WWE to the NFL is laughable.  You have 2 people in a scripted match.  Maybe 6 to 8 people in the area?  You have 2 teams of 53 plus coaches, trainers, officials, media etc.  It is ridiculous to compare the two. 

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Comparing the WWE to the NFL is laughable.  You have 2 people in a scripted match.  Maybe 6 to 8 people in the area?  You have 2 teams of 53 plus coaches, trainers, officials, media etc.  It is ridiculous to compare the two. 

Could playing in a empty stadium and having everyone tested before the game (Dont know when exactly) work?

TV money will pay for it..

8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

agreed..  the only comparison is the crowds

16 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

The crowds would be smaller in arenas

then stadiums no?

I was assuming there would be no crowds like WWE is doing right now.  The point is controlling very small groups is easy. 

30 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

The crowds would be smaller in arenas

then stadiums no?

12 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I was assuming there would be no crowds like WWE is doing right now.  The point is controlling very small groups is easy. 

what SF2 said

the "sports" are completely different.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

The Bundeslega is planning to do this in May and the EPL in June.  

The bottleneck as I see it are the the test kits.  If they can regularly test teams/staff/officials they can safely let them play ball.   Same thing on the broader public scale; testing & isolation make this manageable.  We were caught without the capacity or even contingency plans to handle either of those requirements.  Or more accurately, those plans were ignored for other competing interests.  

EVL-lkoWAAAhd1b.jpg

12 minutes ago, bfine said:

The Bundeslega is planning to do this in May and the EPL in June.  

The players don't tackle, grab and block each other on every play.  There are usually only a few players around the ball except on corner kicks. Nowhere close to the same amount of contact.  Only 11-14 players on each team ever see the field during a game.  Still, it is far more people than the WWE. 

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The bottleneck as I see it are the the test kits.  If they can regularly test teams/staff/officials they can safely let them play ball.   Same thing on the broader public scale, testing & isolation make this manageable.  We were caught without the capacity or even contingency plans to handle either of those requirements.  Or more accurately, those plans were ignored for other competing interests.  

And yeah, there were not 350 million tests in storage for a virus nobody knew existed a few months ago.  No other country had this ability either.  Imagine that. 

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The players don't tackle, grab and block each other on every play.  There are usually only a few players around the ball except on corner kicks. Nowhere close to the same amount of contact.  Only 11-14 players on each team ever see the field during a game.  Still, it is far more people than the WWE. 

Hairs are fun to split. 

8 minutes ago, bfine said:

Hairs are fun to split. 

Well, soccer is really the only major sport both countries have so it shouldn't come as a surprise they would try to finish their seasons.   The NBA and NHL could end tomorrow and most would go, "Oh well."  Baseball and football are different.  I am not a baseball fan but understand its still a big deal to many. 

54 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Well, soccer is really the only major sport both countries have so it shouldn't come as a surprise they would try to finish their seasons.   The NBA and NHL could end tomorrow and most would go, "Oh well."  Baseball and football are different.  I am not a baseball fan but understand its still a big deal to many. 

That is the point for the euro leagues--especially the PL--to finish the 8 or so matches, get the champion crowned, and the bottom 3 relegated (same for Championship...to get their 3 promoted). The PL money has already been expended for the TV..but completion is essential for the trickle-down to save the hand-to-mouth lower leagues. Gate receipts are critical for them, but the plan is for the PL to basically fund League One and League Two, in order to get them through to September. Empty stadia will be no big deal for Arsenal and Liverpool--they have their money. 

Hear tell the PL and FIFA are planning to use Wembley to help field the remaining matches-as many as 4 matches per day. Both PL and Championship. No crowd of course. All televised. What a loot maker that will be. 

However, neither FIFA, UEFA, PL, or any organization has the slightest plan on what to do past June. Not even finishing Champions League, and certainly no plans for a 20-21 season. 

4 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

That is the point for the euro leagues--especially the PL--to finish the 8 or so matches, get the champion crowned, and the bottom 3 relegated (same for Championship...to get their 3 promoted). The PL money has already been expended for the TV..but completion is essential for the trickle-down to save the hand-to-mouth lower leagues. Gate receipts are critical for them, but the plan is for the PL to basically fund League One and League Two, in order to get them through to September. Empty stadia will be no big deal for Arsenal and Liverpool--they have their money. 

Hear tell the PL and FIFA are planning to use Wembley to help field the remaining matches-as many as 4 matches per day. Both PL and Championship. No crowd of course. All televised. What a loot maker that will be. 

My sister  lives in Swansea...

and is a fan of their club..

41 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

My sister  lives in Swansea...

and is a fan of their club..

I like Championship football, and Swansea are a decent club. They are partially owned by the City/fans...sort of like Green Bay. But, like a lot of teams from Championship on down, the TV money gets less, and more reliance is on gate receipts. The shutdown is taking its toll on these clubs, as unless their players take wage cuts, they may not be able to keep above water to make it another season. 

Fortunately, Swansea is doing alright financially. They didn't spend a ton buying players last summer, so they should be OK.

50 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I like Championship football, and Swansea are a decent club. They are partially owned by the City/fans...sort of like Green Bay. But, like a lot of teams from Championship on down, the TV money gets less, and more reliance is on gate receipts. The shutdown is taking its toll on these clubs, as unless their players take wage cuts, they may not be able to keep above water to make it another season. 

Fortunately, Swansea is doing alright financially. They didn't spend a ton buying players last summer, so they should be OK.

Tks for the info..

Archived