Who Do You Want in Round 2?

5 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

With the first pick in the second round you want to take the 8th OT?  Pass.  Some pretty studly safeties out there.  Some nice CBs too.  BPA. 

We need to protect Joe, right?  XSF and Bobby Hart/Fred Johnson on the right side isn't very encouraging.  I wouldn't look at it as getting the 8th best tackle, I'd look at it as getting (potentially) the top guy on your board.  Jones will most likely be twice as good as Hart his rookie year.  They might even be able to play him at guard too.  If we can protect Joe and open holes for the other Joe, as Marv would say, that's a good thing. 

I'd like another saftey, but with Von Bell, Shawn Williams and Bates, do we really want to draft a backup at the top of the 2nd round?  I'd rather have a WR (Mims?) to prepare for the WR exodus next year.

17 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

With the first pick in the second round you want to take the 8th OT?  Pass.  Some pretty studly safeties out there.  Some nice CBs too.  BPA. 

If the 8th tackle is better than the best safety? Absolutely. And I think Jones is a bigger upgrade to what we have than what McKinney would be. 

17 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

We need to protect Joe, right?  XSF and Bobby Hart/Fred Johnson on the right side isn't very encouraging.  I wouldn't look at it as getting the 8th best tackle, I'd look at it as getting (potentially) the top guy on your board.  Jones will most likely be twice as good as Hart his rookie year.  They might even be able to play him at guard too.  If we can protect Joe and open holes for the other Joe, as Marv would say, that's a good thing. 

I'd like another saftey, but with Von Bell, Shawn Williams and Bates, do we really want to draft a backup at the top of the 2nd round?  I'd rather have a WR (Mims?) to prepare for the WR exodus next year.

I have no idea har far Josh Jones would progress this offseason, given the circumstances and lack on on field coaching, If you want to figure his value you can equate it to our 10th round pick last year as he's very close to being the same player talent wise. So ask yourselves, did you think Jonah was a value pick last year? Josh Jones is very close to that same value. In a very tackle rich draft, Josh Jones was the #5 rated offensive tackle this year.

Best available per Sports Illustrated:

1. Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU (SR, 6' 0", 197 pounds)

2. Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama (SR, 6' 1", 205 pounds)

3. D’Andre Swift, RB, Georgia (JR, 5' 8", 212 pounds)

4. A.J. Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa (JR, 6' 5", 275 pounds)

5. Grant Delpit, S, LSU (JR, 6' 3", 213 pounds)

6. Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama (JR, 6' 0", 201 pounds)

7. Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin (JR, 5' 10", 226 pounds)

8. Josh Jones, OT, Houston (rSR, 6' 5", 319 pounds)

9. Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State (JR, 6' 5", 266 pounds)

10. J.K. Dobbins, RB, Ohio State (JR, 5' 10", 209 pounds)

11. Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson (JR, 6' 4", 216 pounds)

12. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor (SR, 6' 3", 207 pounds)

13. Zack Baun, LB, Wisconsin (rSR, 6' 2", 238 pounds)

14. Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado (JR, 6' 1", 227 pounds)

15. Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah (JR, 6' 0", 193 pounds)

16. Ross Blacklock, IDL, TCU (rJR, 6' 3", 290 pounds) 

17. Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama (rJR, 6' 5", 262 pounds)

18. Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois (SR, 6' 3", 221 pounds)

19. Marlon Davidson, IDL, Auburn (SR, 6' 3", 303 pounds)

20. Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota (rSO, 5' 9", 203 pounds)

21. Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame (JR, 6' 6", 262 pounds)

22. Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State (rJR, 6' 6", 311 pounds)

23. Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne (rSR, 6' 1", 217 pounds)

I'd take Baun, Cleveland  or trade down.

I will say I am not a scout or coach and do not know how game ready any of these guys are, but I have serious doubts that any of these OTs are going to step in and "be twice as good as Hart."  Have we not learned from Oogie Boogie, Fisher, and Price?  If an OT is the best player left on the board, which I doubt, take him.  Otherwise take the best player.  The sheep mentality of picking all these OTs doesn't sit well with me.  There are first round CBs and Safeties available.  I don't see any LBs worthy of this pick either. 

At first I wanted to trade back but after thinking about it stand pat and hopefully they take Jones.  They have to protect Burrow and Hart is not the answer and Jonah is still a big question mark as well.  If they're comfortable with Hart at RT for next season then see what Jones can do at RG where there is a gaping hole.

I wouldnt be as happy but Baun or McKinney would not be bad to have as well.

We got fucked out of all of the good LBs and OTs. We could've got studs at both positions if we traded the first pick and still end up with a good QB. Anybody with any sense instead of just having a boner for Burrow would've highly considered a trade. I hope I am wrong, but doubt it. This Burrow lovefest is like The Quitter all over again and we all saw how that turned out.

12 minutes ago, gupps said:

Best available per Sports Illustrated:

1. Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU (SR, 6' 0", 197 pounds)

2. Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama (SR, 6' 1", 205 pounds)

3. D’Andre Swift, RB, Georgia (JR, 5' 8", 212 pounds)

4. A.J. Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa (JR, 6' 5", 275 pounds)

5. Grant Delpit, S, LSU (JR, 6' 3", 213 pounds)

6. Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama (JR, 6' 0", 201 pounds)

7. Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin (JR, 5' 10", 226 pounds)

8. Josh Jones, OT, Houston (rSR, 6' 5", 319 pounds)

9. Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State (JR, 6' 5", 266 pounds)

10. J.K. Dobbins, RB, Ohio State (JR, 5' 10", 209 pounds)

11. Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson (JR, 6' 4", 216 pounds)

12. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor (SR, 6' 3", 207 pounds)

13. Zack Baun, LB, Wisconsin (rSR, 6' 2", 238 pounds)

14. Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado (JR, 6' 1", 227 pounds)

15. Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah (JR, 6' 0", 193 pounds)

16. Ross Blacklock, IDL, TCU (rJR, 6' 3", 290 pounds) 

17. Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama (rJR, 6' 5", 262 pounds)

18. Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois (SR, 6' 3", 221 pounds)

19. Marlon Davidson, IDL, Auburn (SR, 6' 3", 303 pounds)

20. Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota (rSO, 5' 9", 203 pounds)

21. Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame (JR, 6' 6", 262 pounds)

22. Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State (rJR, 6' 6", 311 pounds)

23. Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne (rSR, 6' 1", 217 pounds)

I'd take Baun, Cleveland  or trade down.

That's why they're Sports Illustrated, lol. I wouldn't put much stock in their rankings. If you want to rely on what they have to say, go to their beat writer for the Bengals, James Rapien, and get his opinion.

8 minutes ago, Hooky said:

We got fucked out of all of the good LBs and OTs. We could've got studs at both positions if we traded the first pick and still end up with a good QB. Anybody with any sense instead of just having a boner for Burrow would've highly considered a trade. I hope I am wrong, but doubt it. This Burrow lovefest is like The Quitter all over again and we all saw how that turned out.

Burrow is not a Quitter.  Big fucking difference.

13 minutes ago, soundstreamer said:

At first I wanted to trade back but after thinking about it stand pat and hopefully they take Jones.  They have to protect Burrow and Hart is not the answer and Jonah is still a big question mark as well.  If they're comfortable with Hart at RT for next season then see what Jones can do at RG where there is a gaping whole.

I wouldnt be as happy but Baun or McKinney would not be bad to have as well.

I was with you on the trade - I just pray this isn't Hello 90's all over again - A. Smith

52 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

He is ranked the 5th best T in more than one place. We wont be drafting a S or CB with just taking Bell in and these CBs in FA.

9 minutes ago, Hooky said:

How can you attempt to make that claim when the #5 rated OL is sitting there waiting to be taken? With that said the top four got selected in the top 13 picks, which was pretty much as expected would happen.

26 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I will say I am not a scout or coach and do not know how game ready any of these guys are, but I have serious doubts that any of these OTs are going to step in and "be twice as good as Hart."  Have we not learned from Oogie Boogie, Fisher, and Price?  If an OT is the best player left on the board, which I doubt, take him.  Otherwise take the best player.  The sheep mentality of picking all these OTs doesn't sit well with me.  There are first round CBs and Safeties available.  I don't see any LBs worthy of this pick either. 

While I am in the same camp of "take the BPA", it seems the real question coming out of this thread is do you trust the Bengals' braintrust to take *their* BPA, or do you have your own opinion of who is the BPA?  If the Bengals do the "obvious reach but he was our guy" like last year I will be annoyed.  But OL, one of the WR's or any of the top D players left and I'll be happy to see what comes of it.  I will never be as excited as if Queen had dropped to us, but there are a lot of players that are intriguing still.  A better question might be, who do you *not* want them to take?

For me I don't want:

• Cole Kmet - yeah he's supposedly the best at the position but why do we want another TE this high and one who isn't a good blocker?  The pick of Sample was apparently predicated on the fact he was the best blocker/receiver combo and that's what Taylor wants, so... why would they go receiving tight end here?  It's just not a hole for us, I'd rather have them take a receiver if that's what they want.
  • Tee Higgins - I just didn't like what I saw in the playoff games and his measurements and analysis in the post-season workouts did nothing but confirm what I saw - a big receiver with limited upside and a questionable ability to get open against good competition.

Archived