Who Do You Want in Round 2?

A big question I have is if there is really going to be a football season this year?  Players are probably in pretty good shape right now but what if they sit out a year?  Who are the workout warriors?  Who are the guys that have weight issues and might gain 30 or 40 pounds waiting for the season to start next year?  I would be thinking about some of those things.

19 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Burrow is not a Quitter.  Big fucking difference.

There's really no difference in the hype between the two when they got here. Palmer was going to win us multiple Super Bowls. And you have no idea if he will quit or not. Nobody thought Palmer would. You're totally missing the point.

The more I think about this, if we can move back and draft Pittman Jr. (WR) and pick up an extra 3rd somehow that would be ideal.  I really want Willie Gay Jr. in the 3rd at LB and we need a WR in the worst way. 

But Josh Jones would be so hard to pass up on...I'm glad I'm not in charge.

34 minutes ago, Hooky said:

We got fucked out of all of the good LBs and OTs. We could've got studs at both positions if we traded the first pick and still end up with a good QB. Anybody with any sense instead of just having a boner for Burrow would've highly considered a trade. I hope I am wrong, but doubt it. This Burrow lovefest is like The Quitter all over again and we all saw how that turned out.

For some reason posts like this make me feel even better about the Burrow choice.

2 minutes ago, Hooky said:

There's really no difference in the hype between the two when they got here. Palmer was going to win us multiple Super Bowls. And you have no idea if he will quit or not. Nobody thought Palmer would. You're totally missing the point.

You are correct no one knows for sure about any player in any sport if they will be successful at the next level.  But I do believe that Joe was the best QB in the draft and if you need a QB then that is who you roll with.

25 minutes ago, Jet23 said:

After the first pick, the draft was not kind to the Bengals.  I was hoping all of those Edge Rushers would be taken causing someone like Queen or Isiah Wilson to drop.  I would trade back.

I have heard several times now this morning on the radio that the Bengals were targeting Jordyn Brooks with pick 33, Hawks ruined that plan.

1 hour ago, TeeBengal said:

Definitely OT Josh Jones. 

If the depth chart was released today,  it would have Hart on it.  That makes me cringe.  We have a franchise QB to protect now.    

Jones is not coming in as a day one starter. He's a developmental player. He would have went much higher if he wasn't. Unfortunately Hart is the likely 2020 starter at RT no matter what OT they might take in R2. 

Xavier McKinney is a legit top 20 player, IMO. I don't know how they can pass that up. If they do, I'm hoping for a trade back. If they can't do that and they don't want another S, I'm thinking Baun, Cleveland or Logan Wilson.

44 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I have heard several times now this morning on the radio that the Bengals were targeting Jordyn Brooks with pick 33, Hawks ruined that plan.

I've heard reports that they were hot for Brooks AND Logan Wilson. 

1 hour ago, bengaled said:

That's why they're Sports Illustrated, lol. I wouldn't put much stock in their rankings. If you want to rely on what they have to say, go to their beat writer for the Bengals, James Rapien, and get his opinion.

It was the only one that I could find that was in list form. Not perfect I know but it's something.

Colin Lindsay's updated big board..

1 Ezra Cleveland OT 6-6, 311 Boise State
2 Trevon Diggs CB 6-1, 205 Alabama
3 A.J. Epenesa DE 6-5, 275 Iowa
4 Tee Higgins WR 6-4, 216 Clemson
5 Grant Delpit S 6-2, 213 LSU
6 D'Andre Swift RB 5-8, 212 Georgia
7 Yetur Gross-Matos DE 6-5, 266 Penn State
8 Kristian Fulton CB 6-0, 197 LSU
9 Jaylon Johnson CB 6-0, 193 Utah
10 Xavier McKinney S 6-0, 201 Alabama
11 Jonathan Taylor RB 5-10, 226 Wisconsin
12 Jacob Eason QB 6-6, 231 Washington
13 Denzel Mims WR 6-3, 207 Baylor
14 Josh Jones OT 6-5, 319 Houston
15 Zack Baun OLB 6-2, 238 Wisconsin
16 Robert Hunt OG 6-5, 323 Louisiana
17 Antoine Winfield S 5-9, 203 Minnesota
18 Marlon Davidson DE 6-3, 303 Auburn
19 Ross Blacklock DT 6-3, 290 Texas Christian
20 Julian Okwara OLB 6-4, 252 Notre Dame
21 Laviska Shenault WR 6-1, 227 Colorado
22 Cole Kmet TE 6-6, 262 Notre Dame
23 Tyler Biadasz C 6-4, 314 Wisconsin
24 Chase Claypool WR 6-4, 238 Notre Dame
25 Jalen Hurts QB 6-1, 222 Oklahoma
26 Lloyd Cushenberry C 6-3, 312 LSU
27 J.K. Dobbins RB 5-10, 209 Ohio State
28 Lynn Bowden WR 5-11, 204 Kentucky
29 Terrell Lewis OLB 6-5, 262 Alabama
30 Neville Gallimore DT 6-2, 304 Oklahoma
31 Jeremy Chinn S 6-3, 212 Southern Illinois
32 Antonio Gibson WR 6-0, 228 Memphis

8 minutes ago, bengals7833 said:

Jones is the pick.  Worst case scenario he starts at guard for one year

0BFA2E18-949A-4B92-A812-B3BA103339A3.png

Good and bad. He improves our Oline but LBs are still gonna suck. Maybe Wilson or Gay slides to the third.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

We got fucked out of all of the good LBs and OTs. We could've got studs at both positions if we traded the first pick and still end up with a good QB. Anybody with any sense instead of just having a boner for Burrow would've highly considered a trade. I hope I am wrong, but doubt it. This Burrow lovefest is like The Quitter all over again and we all saw how that turned out.

Yes, a case could have been made for trading the first pick and then being able to “fix” several position groups...and there were those that DID make that case.  The problem is that we don’t really know what Miami offered.  Anything that we “heard” was pure speculation.

8 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Has either of Jones or Cleveland played RT or anyone see any issue with them playing there? 

I haven't seen that but they both played LT which generally speaking is "harder" than RT (with a right-handed QB) but granted not all players can do both.  Also traditionally the RT (with a right-handed QB) is commonly a road-grader type that keeps people out of the QB's vision and perhaps is the more effective run blocker.   Between the two guys, Jones looks much more like a mauler/road grader.  

The thing I liked even more was the tape of Jones playing RG at the Senior Bowl (something we could really use) and he was dominating against good players.

Count me in as wanting Jones as the pick.

I really wanted a WR in the 2nd, but with Jones still being there, I think it's pretty much a no brainer.

Williams will probably move to one of the guard spots.

Definitely can't move him to RT because he lacks RT size

2 hours ago, gupps said:

Best available per Sports Illustrated:

1. Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU (SR, 6' 0", 197 pounds)

2. Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama (SR, 6' 1", 205 pounds)

3. D’Andre Swift, RB, Georgia (JR, 5' 8", 212 pounds)

4. A.J. Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa (JR, 6' 5", 275 pounds)

5. Grant Delpit, S, LSU (JR, 6' 3", 213 pounds)

6. Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama (JR, 6' 0", 201 pounds)

7. Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin (JR, 5' 10", 226 pounds)

8. Josh Jones, OT, Houston (rSR, 6' 5", 319 pounds)

9. Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State (JR, 6' 5", 266 pounds)

10. J.K. Dobbins, RB, Ohio State (JR, 5' 10", 209 pounds)

11. Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson (JR, 6' 4", 216 pounds)

12. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor (SR, 6' 3", 207 pounds)

13. Zack Baun, LB, Wisconsin (rSR, 6' 2", 238 pounds)

14. Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado (JR, 6' 1", 227 pounds)

15. Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah (JR, 6' 0", 193 pounds)

16. Ross Blacklock, IDL, TCU (rJR, 6' 3", 290 pounds) 

17. Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama (rJR, 6' 5", 262 pounds)

18. Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois (SR, 6' 3", 221 pounds)

19. Marlon Davidson, IDL, Auburn (SR, 6' 3", 303 pounds)

20. Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota (rSO, 5' 9", 203 pounds)

21. Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame (JR, 6' 6", 262 pounds)

22. Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State (rJR, 6' 6", 311 pounds)

23. Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne (rSR, 6' 1", 217 pounds)

I'd take Baun, Cleveland  or trade down.

Jones with the good news being some of those guys will slide to the top of Round 3.

Maybe trade back up into mid Round 2 for a Espenesa, Baun or Chinn.

Ohio State's LB Malik Harrison as a third round possibility and I still would like to see Kyle Dugger as a Bengal.

Like his versatility.

4 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

Williams will probably move to one of the guard spots.

Definitely can't move him to RT because he lacks RT size

They're NOT moving Williams. He's the 2020 starting LT, full stop.

Archived